Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dress Size
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn Trivia
zarabell
jumpymm.gif hi i was just wondering what dress size was marilyn ? as its always reported in the press she was a size 14 ,doesnt look a 14 to me !! lol
KES
QUOTE(zarabell @ Apr 16 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]103104[/snapback]
jumpymm.gif hi i was just wondering what dress size was marilyn ? as its always reported in the press she was a size 14 ,doesnt look a 14 to me !! lol

Hello,
I have always wondered this and was told by my elders that they had read that Marilyn was a 14-16 which i very much doubted but then i was talking to a US seller of vintage clothing and discovered the following.
In the 50's US sizes were 2 sizes ahead of uk sizes - so a uk 10 would be a US 14
Then US sizes went 2 sizes behind UK sizes so a UK 10 would then be a US 6.
Pre internet etc.. i think that older generations have omitted the US size differences and said a size that they heard of at the time but not allowing for the switch around which occured later.
I think that this is right - please correct me if i am wrong.
I was following an auction of Marilyns blouse from Juliens Auction and the new owner was selling one of the blouses and they stated the same basically -the blouse said a US 14 which in todays sizes is a US6 which is a UK 10. dada I hope.
Charli
Well, I can tell just by looking at Marilyn that she was a size 10-12 Australian....which is rather small! coolio.gif
hazy
I was just reading about this today....I thought this website explained a lot regarding Marilyn's dress size!!!

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.htm
SusenSkellington
I love that site!
Tara
QUOTE(hazy @ Apr 30 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]104259[/snapback]
I was just reading about this today....I thought this website explained a lot regarding Marilyn's dress size!!!

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.htm

Great link thanks!
Young
It's rumoured that she was a usually a size 12 which today would equal to about a 6. I read that at her smallest she was a 4 and at her heaviest a size 8 which is not big at all. You know what was weird? I saw a ID card she had when she signed with a modeling agency at the age of 20 and it listed her height and weight as 5'5 1/2 and 117 pounds. This info was also the same 16 years later on her autopsy report.
KES
QUOTE(Young @ Aug 7 2006, 05:51 AM) [snapback]111283[/snapback]
It's rumoured that she was a usually a size 12 which today would equal to about a 6. I read that at her smallest she was a 4 and at her heaviest a size 8 which is not big at all. You know what was weird? I saw a ID card she had when she signed with a modeling agency at the age of 20 and it listed her height and weight as 5'5 1/2 and 117 pounds. This info was also the same 16 years later on her autopsy report.

Well spotted you clever thing
KES
Vicoria Hoffman 1975
In the book 'My sister Marilyn', her sister Berniece said she was a size twelve at the time she met her in 1944.
Theatrics
QUOTE(zarabell @ Apr 16 2006, 10:24 AM) *

She was dress size 18 when she died
Alanma
I'm a mere male I know, but it seems a bit pointless getting all wound up about dress-size numbers, which, my late wife often told me, were meaningless tripe. One shop's size 12 is the shop next door's size 10. Mail order firms size-label their merchandise according to their target market, and what their rivals are doing. I know straight from the traditional horses's mouth that shops will swap size labels around when it is remainder-sale time!

It's not just women's stuff either. I have shoes marked 8, 8 1/2, 9 and 10. They are in fact identical.
Vanity. vanity. All is but vanity!
Vicoria Hoffman 1975
Well said, Alan. My clothes are all about 3 different sizes.
mmmMarilyn
Mine too! I just wear what fits and looks best. That's probably what Marilyn did too, because anything looked good on her, at any size and any given point in her life! : )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.