Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mm Hair Trivia
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn Trivia
Robby
- Emmeline Sniveley sent Norma Jeane Dougherty to Hollywood hairstylist at the Frank
and Joseph salon. They cut, straightend, and bleached Norma Jean's hair.
- Before she achieved major stardom with Niagara and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, MM's hair had gone trough several subtle and not so subtle transitions.
In a period of two years, MM's hair was dyed the following shades of blonde:

Asphalt Jungle: Ash blonde
All About Eve: Golden Blonde
As Young As You Feel: Silver Blonde
Let's Make It Legal: Amber blonde
Love Nest: Smokey Blonde
O. Henry's Full House: Honey Blonde
We're Not Married: Topaz blonde
don't Bother to Knock: Unbleached dark blonde
Monkey business: Platinum Blonde

- For Bus Stop, MM's hair was changed from platinum blonde to a reddish blonde.
- When she didn't wanted to be recognized (Such as the time she fled to New York
with Milton Greene in 1954), MM donned a black wig and hid behind large dark glasses.
- During the production of Let's Make Love, Marilyn had her hair colored every Saturday
by an old woman from San Diego who claimed that she once colord Jean Harlow's hair.
- MM bleached her pubic hair blonde.

Personal Hairstylists:

Kenneth Battelle
Agnes Flanagan
Sidney Guilaroff
Peter Leonardi
George Masters
Galdys Rasmussen
Tara
Great topic Robby. Thanks! thumbup1.gif
Robby
biggrin.gif No problem Tara!
marilyn
My grandparents say that Marilyn, if she hadn't died, had plans to make her hair dark again like in the days that she was still Norma Jeane.
Is this true??
Lauren Michele
QUOTE(Robby @ Jan 28 2006, 10:59 PM) [snapback]97530[/snapback]
- Emmeline Sniveley sent Norma Jeane Dougherty to Hollywood hairstylist at the Frank
and Joseph salon. They cut, straightend, and bleached Norma Jean's hair.
- Before she achieved major stardom with Niagara and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, MM's hair had gone trough several subtle and not so subtle transitions.
In a period of two years, MM's hair was dyed the following shades of blonde:

Asphalt Jungle: Ash blonde
All About Eve: Golden Blonde
As Young As You Feel: Silver Blonde
Let's Make It Legal: Amber blonde
Love Nest: Smokey Blonde
O. Henry's Full House: Honey Blonde
We're Not Married: Topaz blonde
don't Bother to Knock: Unbleached dark blonde
Monkey business: Platinum Blonde

- For Bus Stop, MM's hair was changed from platinum blonde to a reddish blonde.
- When she didn't wanted to be recognized (Such as the time she fled to New York
with Milton Greene in 1954), MM donned a black wig and hid behind large dark glasses.
- During the production of Let's Make Love, Marilyn had her hair colored every Saturday
by an old woman from San Diego who claimed that she once colord Jean Harlow's hair.
- MM bleached her pubic hair blonde.

Personal Hairstylists:

Kenneth Battelle
Agnes Flanagan
Sidney Guilaroff
Peter Leonardi
George Masters
Galdys Rasmussen

Hi Robby! bye1.gif I was always under the assumption that Jean Harlow's hair was a natural blonde! Don't laugh! I had heard that Ms. Harlow was naturally blonde. My mother was the source of the info. Of course I would believe mom smile1.gif How nieve I guess!! And Marilyn dyed her pubic hair blonde? I guess that is why I see members saying on their signatures...Blonde all over ! smile1.gif Lauren Michele
Dano
Yes, Jean Harlow´s blonde hair was natural but not platinum.
MMgirl192
QUOTE(marilyn @ Feb 4 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]97992[/snapback]
My grandparents say that Marilyn, if she hadn't died, had plans to make her hair dark again like in the days that she was still Norma Jeane.
Is this true??

i've never heard that before, but i doubt it since she had just dyed her hair white blonde and once said that she liked "to feel blonde all over".
meztisa
QUOTE(Dano @ Aug 2 2006, 10:34 PM) [snapback]110891[/snapback]
Yes, Jean Harlow´s blonde hair was natural but not platinum.

I thought Jean was a natural red head? eyebrow.gif
Robby
I don't think so, Felicia. She played in a movie called 'Red Headed Woman', but she wore a wig in that one.
Tara
Yes Jean was a natural blonde - her hair was almost white.
Brigitte
I don't believe Marilyn bleached her pubic hair because that was in Lena Pepitone's book Marilyn Monroe Confidential and most of that book was rubbish. thumbdown.gif
I always thought the quote "I want to feel blonde all over" was said when a reporter asked her why her skin was so pale, living in sunny southern California.
eire
Jean Harlow's hair was a natural honey-blonde colour, not platinum though. Near the end of her life her hair was back to her natural colour. (like in Saratoga)
Fav
Are we talking any form of hair here? Nooooo I'm not talking about that, its just that I noticed in George Barris' photos that Marilyn had darker hair on her forearms and you don't notice any on early photos of her. Even on photos where she was not likely to have body makeup on in the early days. Any idea if MM waxed her arms? How did they do hair removal in those days? It's a weird one but being a girl, it's a question I've pondered!
jennie2000
QUOTE(Fav @ Feb 20 2007, 10:20 PM) [snapback]127703[/snapback]
Are we talking any form of hair here? Nooooo I'm not talking about that, its just that I noticed in George Barris' photos that Marilyn had darker hair on her forearms and you don't notice any on early photos of her. Even on photos where she was not likely to have body makeup on in the early days. Any idea if MM waxed her arms? How did they do hair removal in those days? It's a weird one but being a girl, it's a question I've pondered!

Well, a lot of women get more, darker and thicker hair with age,but also, if she didn't go out in the sun a lot, the hair on her arms would be darker too.
I have a few beauty books from the 40's and 50's and all of them say WAXING. One of them says: if you absolutely have to use a razor, rub a pumice stone on the skin afterwards to prevent the hair from growing out too fast. I tried it once and can say it possibly works. But make sure you load up on moisturizers!
Robby
As far as I know Brigitte, Lena Pepitone wasn't the first one who said Marilyn bleached her pubic hair blonde. I forgot who was with her once, but Marilyn was wearing a white dress, and someone threw a glass of water over her, and everything was see-through, but she refused to wear undies, so the person who was with her said that Marilyn bleached everything. Jean Harlow also bleached her pubic hair. I remember Marilyn once said that she sometimes got infections because of it, so I think it is true.
Brigitte
QUOTE(Robby @ Feb 22 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]127839[/snapback]
As far as I know Brigitte, Lena Pepitone wasn't the first one who said Marilyn bleached her pubic hair blonde. I forgot who was with her once, but Marilyn was wearing a white dress, and someone threw a glass of water over her, and everything was see-through, but she refused to wear undies, so the person who was with her said that Marilyn bleached everything. Jean Harlow also bleached her pubic hair. I remember Marilyn once said that she sometimes got infections because of it, so I think it is true.

Some one threw a glass of water on Marilyn? Who would do such a thing?
I know Marilyn didn't like to wear under clothes but....I have to question this.
Maybe Marilyn tried this once but I'm sure that she would have had an ice pack between her legs all the time if she did this often!
There is another book that I know of that states she bleached her pubic hair - Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates (which is fiction.)
Another thing is.... Why would it take 2 pairs of panties to hide her pubic area in the "blowing skirt scene" from The Seven Year Itch?
There are no photographs (that I know of) that show Marilyn totally nude so I can't be 100% sure.
It's something to wonder about though! unsure.gif
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/skirt6.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Bri...B/stern_023.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Bri..._B/sternbed.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Bri...B/sternsemi.jpg
Robby
There is another Bert Stern shot, made his assistent which clearly shows Marilyn with blonde pubic hair. Maybe she didn't do this often, but she did do it sometimes.
Brigitte
QUOTE(Robby @ Feb 23 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]127941[/snapback]
There is another Bert Stern shot, made his assistent which clearly shows Marilyn with blonde pubic hair. Maybe she didn't do this often, but she did do it sometimes.

Robby, do you happen to have that photo? I won't believe it 'till I see it.
Robby
It's in the Bert Stern session, it's not a photograph derictly from him, but from his assitent.
Brigitte
Yes, I got that it was taken by Bert Stern's assistant, but do you have the photo?
Robby
I think you should look in the Bert Stern topic, it's in there!
Brigitte
Here's the photo by Bert Stern's assistant;Leif Erik Nygards
I can't believe I'm talking about Whether or not she bleached her pubic hair but I feel if it's not true, then people should be informed that it may not of happened and that it is a misrepresentation.

I guess it all comes down to what you believe & who you trust, personally, I have my doubts.

Everyone can judge for themself
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Bri...tsternnude2.jpg
Tara
QUOTE(Brigitte @ Mar 25 2007, 07:45 PM) [snapback]130167[/snapback]
Here's the photo by Bert Stern's assistant;Leif Erik Nygards
I can't believe I'm talking about Whether or not she bleached her pubic hair but I feel if it's not true, then people should be informed that it may not of happened and that it is a misrepresentation.

I guess it all comes down to what you believe & who you trust, personally, I have my doubts.

Everyone can judge for themself
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Bri...tsternnude2.jpg

The information came from Lena Pepitone, so I'm not sure either. However, it was a fairly common practice among Hollywood actresses then - though it seems somewhat bizarre to us now...
Young
MM was born a natural blonde. She even said so. It wasn't until she was about seven that her hair started changing to reddish brown. All I'm saying is wouldn't that be the reason her pubic hair was blonde?
Robby
It wasn't blonde naturally. Look at the pictures where Marilyn is doing the famous scene from TSYI, you can see through her panties, and it's clearly that her hair wasn't blonde there ...
Tara
If you look at baby photos of Norma Jeane, she was very fair-haired. It seems to be that her hair darkened when she got older - and body hair grows during puberty.
MissCaswell
There is another pic by bert stern, which he snapped when she accidentally dropped the scarf, and it's very clear that her pubic hair isn't blonde. It's slightly visible in a couple of early pics too, and then of course we have the syi pics. So I've seen a few pics that show Marilyn with dark pubic hair, but none where it looks blonde...I tend to think that's just a rumour. She never intentionally let her pubic hair show during a photo session, so why would she have bothered (and taken the risk) to bleach it?
marilynfanonline
Moving away from the pubic hair discussion ... I have often wondered why Marilyn's hair looks so damaged from around 1959 onward and yet it always looked quite healthy before hand. Could it be that she was bleaching her hair to an almost white colour toward the end of her life whereas before she would often choose golden and honey coloured blondes.

When looking at photographs it is clear that Marilyn reveled what she called 'the new Marilyn' around 1955 when she formed a partnership with Milton Green. She did bleach her hair to an almost white colour but then in Bus Stop (1956) she returned to a golden colour.

How did she happen to change her hair colour so easily and why do you think it was so damaged toward the end of her life? jumpymm.gif
mmmMarilyn
Being a dark-blonde-haired girl and just getting bleached highlights, I can tell you it does a number on the hair--I am still young so a few days of a good conditioner takes away the frizzies, but Marilyn had been dying her entire head of hair for SO many years that I think around that time the damage just caught up with her--let me tell you it BURRRNNNSSS the scalp with just the little bit I get highlighted so I can't even imagine the whole head, plus probably weekly or a least once every couple of week touch ups for roots.
Margherita
Marilyn's hairdresser dyed only her roots, not the whole hair every time, naturally.

Marilyn changed the tone of her blonde hair often, it's not that difficult. Basically the natural hair is bleached and then bleaching color or some other coloring tone is put on it. And of cause a lot of conditioners and shiners.

I think the reason why Marilyn's hair looks less shinier during the, say, last one year of hair life, is that she wanted it to be really super white blonde which demanded (this has been reported) 20 % peroxide which is harsh, and opens up the hair cuticle more. But there's still shine in herhair, depending of the lighting.
During the filming of the SGTG she got a bit neurotic about the whiteness of her hair, she demanded that the hair of another female star in the picture, that her hair should be darkened a bit with a toner so as M's hair would be the blondest.

A REALLY blonde hair was very fashionable in the early sixties, just look at the pictures of Hollywood filmstars from then.
And then one thing that made her hair look less shinier later, it was mostly allways backcombed more than ever to get that fluffy style, and that reduces the shine in hair, especially if it's blonde.
Previously her hair seems more like stiled with curlers, hot irons and waxes plus then hairspray.

There is a picture in The Last Sitting of a rude back combing session - auch!
meztisa
QUOTE(marilynfanonline @ Apr 17 2008, 06:09 PM) *
Moving away from the pubic hair discussion ... I have often wondered why Marilyn's hair looks so damaged from around 1959 onward and yet it always looked quite healthy before hand. Could it be that she was bleaching her hair to an almost white colour toward the end of her life whereas before she would often choose golden and honey coloured blondes.

When looking at photographs it is clear that Marilyn reveled what she called 'the new Marilyn' around 1955 when she formed a partnership with Milton Green. She did bleach her hair to an almost white colour but then in Bus Stop (1956) she returned to a golden colour.

How did she happen to change her hair colour so easily and why do you think it was so damaged toward the end of her life? jumpymm.gif

I know from personal experience the strain that dyes can put on one's hair. Now, Marilyn was bleaching her hair! That's even worse! If you look at pictures of Marilyn from about '53-'62 au naturel, her hair looks quite dry and stringy. The only reason it appears shiny and sleek in her movies is professional products! biggrin.gif
abeautifulchild
I'm surprised how well her hair held up considering, actually! I mean, if you think about it, Marilyn had been bleaching her hair for at least 10 years!
Margherita
QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Apr 25 2008, 03:55 AM) *
I'm surprised how well her hair held up considering, actually! I mean, if you think about it, Marilyn had been bleaching her hair for at least 10 years!

Yes but her hairdresser didn't bleach her entire hair every third or other week, she only did the roots. And she was professional. And of course Marilyn used conditioners to remain the luminous hair as good looking as it stayed.
If the hair had been handled too harshly it wouldn't have stayed that shiny and bouncing looking.
And she had, you can see it in the pictures, quite frequently all kinds of different shades of toners done to her hair, sometimes they are silvery, sometimes a golden tone, and that kind of products give a hair more shine and condition it, I think they rather good quality allready in the 50-s, 60-s.

By the way, I think her blonde hair looks a bit messed in many casual pictures if they are taken at the beach and her hair may be wet in some pictures , somewhere in the streets of a windy city and sometimes during her marriage to Miller, it seems to me, she toned (or had it toned) darker like dark blonde and in some pictures it shows as if the roots are really darker as she didn't care to see her hairdresser for a while.

But doing what the skillful hairdressers can do, the result even during her final year probably was great, James Haspiel writes in his "Ultimate....-book" when he met M. after the Kennedy birthday gala, in a hotel room: ".....her hair was white spun gold.."
abeautifulchild
You know, I noticed in the pictures from the SGTG pool scene that her hair did not turn green- isn't that supposed to happened when bleached blondes are exposed to the chlorine?
marilynfanonline
I think that depends of the amount of chlorine and the product that has been used on the hair. I think Marilyn's hair looked very damaged in the scene in SGTG in which she is playing with the children and hugging them right at the end of that sequence.
abeautifulchild
Did she go darker in the mid-1950s? I've seen black and white pictures of her at the Actor's Studio- I think it was to promote Baby Doll- and her hair looks much, much darker...almost a light brown I want to guess....
mmmMarilyn
I have wondered that too, Alex! It seems VERY dark in those pictures, but then we didn't see it like that ever again? Maybe she just got inspired!
abeautifulchild
Yeah, I know!! But everyone has seen the Sam Shaw shots of her on the beach with Arthur and at their home in Roxbury, or Amagansett, or wherever it was, and her hair was not platinum there; it was more of a gold color...maybe it just looks darker in those pictures at the Actor's Studio because they were in black and white? And as I remember, her hair was considerably darker in TPATSG...
mmmMarilyn
that's true..I was actually going to say that about black and white, maybe it just made it appear darker--and yeah she was definitely more of a honey blonde in TPATSG so b&w would make it look dark blonde, right?
marilynfanonline
I don't know if when she went darker it was part of her trying to give off a more serious image of herself rather than this bleach blonde red lipstick glamour girl.

I know that around 1955 she bleached her hair to basically white as this is shown in some of the Milton Green shot of her. Then it would appear that she went a dark blonde and stayed that way until 1959 when she was required to bleach her hair almost white again for her role as Sugar Kane in SLIH due to the blakc and white film.

Then I guess fashions changed becuase she remaied that colour for the rest of her life.
dwane
another interesting fact is that the reason why marilyn's hair was always parted to the left was because she couldn't stand her widow's peak which she had touched up every week because it didn't take dye well.
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(dwane @ May 4 2008, 12:51 AM) *
another interesting fact is that the reason why marilyn's hair was always parted to the left was because she couldn't stand her widow's peak which she had touched up every week because it didn't take dye well.

Thanks, Dwane. Yeah, I heard that later on in the last few years of her life she had to get her widow's peak and roots dyed every FIVE DAYS or something ridiculous like that because of her roots coming in too dark too fast. She certainly was dedicated and did a fine job of hiding it though, I don't think I have ever seen a picture of her with her roots showing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.