Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: George Carpozi
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
eddie
Has anyone read George Carpozis biography of Marilyn. It came out in 1961 just after Zolotows one. Apparetnly it mentions Robert Slatzer in it which gives his story some credibility
Robby
Hey everyone,

Can anyone tell me something about this book? I'm getting it, I saw it at an auction online, and bought it. It was cheap, luckily biggrin.gif. It's also a old book, from 1961. Please, anyone?
Tara
It is a full-length biography, and includes interviews with Marilyn herself from 1955. It was published in 1961 as 'MM: Her Own Story', then another version called 'The Agony Of MM' was brought out after she died. A third edition was published in 1973.

I don't own a copy yet, but it's high on my wishlist. wish.gif
Robby
Thanks so much Tara, keep looking around on eBay!
Robby
Hey Tara,

I made some scans for you for an impression of what it looks like inside, I got my copy today, and love it, beautiful pictures, and text. I did not read the whole text, but gilmpses, it looks good mf_w00t1.gif . My version is from 1973. Enjoy these scans!
Katri^
Wow! It looks great! I would love to have it...
Tara
Thanks Robby, how kind of you to scan these pages! It looks like a great read... clapping.gif
Robby
I could scan some more if you like to, but the pages won't scan everything because my scanner is rather small. I'm scanning more soon, because I was in a hurry when I scanned those.

BTW Katri - Look on eBay, a small tip.
Paju
I just finished reading The Agony Of Marilyn Monroe. It's a full-lenght biography of Marilyn. Carpozi interviewed her when she was living in New York - they actually walked in the park while doing the interview. I liked the book very much and would like to own a copy. It basically ends after Marilyn completed The Misfits and divorced Miller, got hospitalized etc. In the epilogue Carpozi mentions Something's Got To Give and Marilyn dying - not a word about the Kennedys though. Instead, he does mention Slatzer. According to him, Slatzer was a friend of Marilyn's because they shared an interest in books. They sent books to each other around 1952 or so. However, he doesn't mention ANYTHING about Slatzer being romantically linked with Marilyn, let alone a marriage.
Tara
Very interesting, thanks Paju.
Marloes
I just bought the 1961 version. I think it's quite a rare find, I never see it on Ebay. I already had the 1973 edition. I think it give a nice insight on Marilyn's life smile1.gif
meganmarilyn
That doesn't prove Slatzer knew Marilyn. Remember, Slatzer had the pics of he and Marilyn together at Niiagara, and he I am sure showed that to everyone to say he knew Marilyn. Slatzer was a well known writer (literary critic of Columbus, Ohio) who wrote articles on Marilyn, early as 1952. Here is one I found from the The Pottstown Mercury (Pennsylvania), dated September 18, 1952. In it Slazter talks about how far back he knew Marilyn, things they shared as friends, etc. I am sure this and many other articles he wrote on Marilyn led to the hype over the later years and so called relationship they supposedly had. What's funny is he says he met her in 1947, when she was 19. LOL! Can't even get her age right. She was 21, not 19.

I still say. If he really did have a relationship and knew her intimately, then there should be pictures out there. All he has are the 2 or so from Niagara Falls.
meganmarilyn
One more tidbit referring to the article. Slatzer claims he knew her in 1947 as Norma Jean Baker. He says when he met up with her again at Niagara, he didn't know she had changed her name to Marilyn Monroe. Uh....I thought she changed her name in 1946? Well, you telling me that if he had met her in 1947 at the Fox studios, he wouldn't have known her by her new name of Marilyn? Get real.
dwane
i have that issue from 1973 too! smile1.gif
Paju
I want to get the 1961 one. There are some used copies on Amazon.com but they tend to be a bit expensive for me. But I'll definitely get it someday smile1.gif
Tara
I've just read the 1962 edition, The Agony Of Marilyn Monroe. Here is my review...

This biography was written during Marilyn's lifetime (in 1961.) Its other title was 'Marilyn Monroe: Her Own Story', changed to the more emotive 'The Agony Of Marilyn Monroe' shortly after her death. The value of the book, however, lies in Carpozi's clear-eyed, if not particularly insightful, view of Monroe before her tragic end. Her unhappy early life and struggle for identity are not glossed over, but neither is she presented as a doomed victim. Most importantly, Carpozi met and spoke with Marilyn at length in 1955, the pivotal year in which she abandoned her lucrative studio contract and matured into one of the most fiercely independent, iconic stars Hollywood has ever known. The Marilyn encountered by Carpozi was not the blonde sexpot of tabloid myth, but a thoughtful, earnest young woman who had seen much hardship as a child and was painfully aware of the critical estimation of her as only a minor talent, but who was nonetheless quietly determined to educate and improve herself - and by her own efforts, became a living legend. Carpozi is strongest when charting the complex relationship between Monroe and the press, the aspect of her life he knew best.
abeautifulchild
Thanks for the review, Tara. I must get this!
jily
must check my books tonight
i think i have both of these

i got mine on ebay, apart from shipping they where a good price
thumbup1.gif
Jilly
Paju
I've read Agony, and I want to get either it or Her Own Story. I like to have old books, and this was a good one too!
Paju
I'm so excited! It's the first time I ever bid on anything on eBay - and I won! George Carpozi's Marilyn Monroe - Her Own Story, and it's the first edition from 1961! biggrin.gif
suusmarie
QUOTE(Paju @ Nov 11 2009, 09:47 PM) *
I'm so excited! It's the first time I ever bid on anything on eBay - and I won! George Carpozi's Marilyn Monroe - Her Own Story, and it's the first edition from 1961! biggrin.gif

Congratulations jumpymm.gif ! And be prepared for a new addiction... Ebay, lol laugh.gif
Paju
Thanks biggrin.gif
Oh, I know, I'm already bidding on another Marilyn book there...
Paju
It arrived today! Took only 8 days from USA to Finland, so that was fast. I love the old feeling of the book - the pages are yellow, but nothing's loose or stained or otherwise ruined. It's in good condition for its age. I will definitely start reading it today after I've cleaned our home and washed the dishes - it's going to be my reward smile1.gif
ronaldo
I purchased the 1973 magazine version a while ago and today I won The Agony Of Marilyn Monroe (1962) on eBay. Very happy with it.
Thanks Tara for your insightful review. Can't wait to finally read it.
JC 96816
marilynbybrandon_190.gif I just bought this today...will post pix when it arrives...it has 111 pages...this is one I had b4 that was stolen...

Tara
QUOTE(JC 96816 @ Jun 30 2013, 01:38 AM) *
marilynbybrandon_190.gif I just bought this today...will post pix when it arrives...it has 111 pages...this is one I had b4 that was stolen...

Merged with older thread.
JC 96816
marilynbybrandon_190.gif
QUOTE(Tara @ Jun 30 2013, 12:49 AM) *
Merged with older thread.
Thanks Tara...I'll add more from it when it arrives...I don't really remember it -- except the back cover is supposed to be suitable for framing...it's a very pretty picture...

This book finally arrived yesterday, 07/17/13. Here is what I've scanned so far...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.