Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marilyn As A Smoker
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn Trivia
rachelmarie
I know Marilyn smoked but gave up mid 50s. Does anyone know if she was a regular smoker or just a social one etc? I can't recall reading anything about it.
brandonheidrick
I know that Marilyn smoked socially. There's numerous photos of her smoking, on location for Niagara, in a night club with Joe DiMaggio, with a cigarette atop a New York Building, holding one in the subway, on the set of Seven Year Itch, there were ashtrays in her home in Brentwood, one right beside her bed ... I don't think she was a regular smoker, but probably smoked from time to time when a friend, co-worker, or movie part told her to.
rachelmarie
Thanks Brandon, pretty much what I thought. wish I could be like that, it's all or nothing with me lol xxx
marie-marilyn
I think she went through pahases of smoking. She definitely smoked when she went to England, as she has a cigarette in her hand when sitting with Arthur and Larry. Also I agree with Brandon about Niagara etc.
Paju
I agree with Brandon that she was a social smoker. She smoked sometimes, but it wasn't really a habit for her.
Val
How do we know it wasn't a habit? I'm not saying it was. I just don't know. I actually never read anything reliable about it.
brandonheidrick
I haven't read anything one way or another either ... smoking was very common back then. Don't know how frequently she smoked, but there's evidence she did ... and that's all any of us know! LOL!
marilynmonroe517
yes, she was a regular smoker...in fact i started smoking b/c of her lol isn't that silly?
Tara
She was a smoker but stopped by the mid-1950s. The last photos of her smoking are in England, 1956. Like you all say I think it was more of a social thing, and didn't become a habit. Smoking was very common then and people didn't know so much about the health risks.
purple-haze
QUOTE(marilynmonroe517 @ May 30 2006, 04:02 AM) [snapback]105857[/snapback]
yes, she was a regular smoker...in fact i started smoking b/c of her lol isn't that silly?

yeah it is, really silly unsure.gif
Margherita
QUOTE(Tara @ May 30 2006, 11:44 AM) *
She was a smoker but stopped by the mid-1950s. The last photos of her smoking are in England, 1956. Like you all say I think it was more of a social thing, and didn't become a habit. Smoking was very common then and people didn't know so much about the health risks.

There are few pictures of her smoking while filming The Misfits. She sits in her thoughts in a jeans jacket with cigarette between her fingers....

I think Marilyn smoked now and then, but not like there'd been a cigarette in her hands all of the time, like for instance Ava Gardner who smoked all the time, and Vivien Leigh, who was a chainsmoker, just to mention few. And Catherine Zeta-Jones smokes, too.

I think Marilyn found smoking sometimes calming, as she had once learned the habit. But of course it can make one nervous, too.
I think one reason why Marilyn gave up smoking must have been that she wanted her skin to look radiant, and she had a tendency to get bronchitis, too. These are my supposals.
Alanma
QUOTE(Tara @ May 30 2006, 11:44 AM)
[She was a smoker but stopped by the mid-1950s. The last photos of her smoking are in England, 1956. Like you all say I think it was more of a social thing, and didn't become a habit. Smoking was very common then and people didn't know so much about the health risks.]

I don't remember seeing Marilyn actually smoking while in England, except for playacting at it, and maybe taking a puff or two to steady her nerves, during those press conferences. It was socially expected at that time, and for a lady to refuse the offer of a cigarette would have been thought ill-mannered, especially if others present were smoking, as they would then have been obliged to put their own out in that case.
Some of the press photos show Olivier offering her a cigarette,as he was a heavy chain smoker, and could not light up without doing so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.