Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marilyn's Height
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn Trivia
rachelmarie
I know this sounds a silly question because most books about Marilyn have her height at five feet five and a half inches (exactly the same as me...yayyy!) which is reasonably tall. But I have also heard that she was five feet four or shorter. Looking at photos of her she does look kinda short (not in a bad way..in a petite lovely way) Does anyone really know? xxx
rachelmarie
Okay the autopsy report has her at 5 ft 5 and a half so I guess that's pretty conclusive lol!!! Shoulda checked before I posted. Funny though that you can get 'life size' Mariln cut outs that range from 5ft4 to 5ft10 lol syimarilyn_161_733.gif
Tara
I'm pretty sure she was 5 ft 51/2, but maybe she looks more petite during times when she was a wee bit overweight? Just a thought.

Susan Strasberg first met MM when she was in full costume for her 'Heatwave' number in TNBLSB. Susan later remembered that at 5ft 51/2, and wearing three-inch spike heels, Marilyn seemed to her like a blonde Amazonian!
rachelmarie
Thanks for your reply Tara, yes maybe you are right about her weight making her look shorter in some pics. So i think we have established that she was indeed 5ft 5 and a half....I'm so glad I have at least ONE physical thing in common with her lol xx
Paju
Yep, she was 5'5 1/2, which means that she was about 166,7 cm tall (I'm 168 so I'm not much taller than she was). I've seen some articles which claim Marilyn to be 150cm and some that say that she was 170cm. Haha, neither one of those is true... rolleyes1.gif
rachelmarie
You would think people would get their facts right wouldn't you. I heard a podcast the other day and they were talking to a major MM fan in England. He had all sorts of Marilyn memorabilia and was 'obsessed' as he admitted himself. However, he had a 'life size' Marilyn cut out and he said it was '5ft 4 inches tall, which was Marilyn's height'.....ummm no it wasn't. Even this really big fan didn't know her true height, probably because of all the conflicting reports that we read. xx
KES
I have always thought that Marilyn was 5.5 1/2 but if this measurement was based on an autopsy report then wouldn't that mean it was taken laying down? If this is the case don't we grow an inch when we lie down because our muscles relax - so technically we are taller when we sleep and then when we stand up we 'shrink' a little. Just a thought.
rachelmarie
Interesting point Kes....you could be right. Let's just say she was 'around' 5ft5 1/2 lol xx
Fav
This is interesting because I recall seeing the dresses at the recent exhibition in Derbyshire in the UK and the height she would have had to have been to wear them made her to appear much taller. I thought the outfits would have been more petite and shorter. I remember being very surprised by this.
rachelmarie
Fav, I've never seen Marilyn's dresses in real life but I do know what you are saying because I've thought the same thing just from seeing pictures of them. All I can think is incredibly high heels would make the dress seem to fit her better, I know this from personal experience lol! xx

Oh and I've seen the dummys used as models for those dresses, posted in the topic for the exhibition in this forum and they are very skinny, Marilyn had curves so this would have pulled the dresses up more, they would just sort of 'hang' on skinny models. xx
meztisa
5'5...my height! jumpymm.gif
zarabell
i think marilyn appears to be shorter then 5'5 ,or maybe its how the picture is taken !!
Paju
It's true that in some pics she looks shorter than 5'51/2. But I think in some others she actually looks taller than that. So I guess it depends on the picture, who she's with, what she's wearing etc.
Young
Marilyn was five feet, five and a half inches. She seemed so much taller than that to me. [This is the same height as my niece. I am five feet, ten inches! smile1.gif]
Cassandra Rose
QUOTE(Paju @ Jul 9 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]109195[/snapback]
It's true that in some pics she looks shorter than 5'51/2. But I think in some others she actually looks taller than that. So I guess it depends on the picture, who she's with, what she's wearing etc.

I agree with Paju. From personal experiences, I am 5'3'' and a half, possibly almost touching 5'4'' and in some picture's I look taller, others I look petite. When I'm with tall, thin people I look petite, when I'm with people who are overweight or such, I seem to look mature. It's highly odd what pictures can do. When I wear white and pastel colors, I look petite, when I wear black I look length-ey and tall. I think it kind of went that way with marilyn. But it also can depend on the settings around you, and just everything else. But everyones viewpoint on someone is different. I always see Marilyn as a curvy beautiful average sized woman who was real.
Lauren Michele
bye1.gif It depended i think on the shoes she chose to wear. throb.gif
Cassandra Rose
QUOTE(Lauren Michele @ Sep 23 2006, 12:03 PM) [snapback]115868[/snapback]
bye1.gif It depended i think on the shoes she chose to wear. throb.gif

Oh yeah! That too! jumpymm.gif
Lauren Michele
QUOTE(Cassandra Rose @ Sep 23 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]115941[/snapback]
Oh yeah! That too! jumpymm.gif

I thought maybe it would contribute to it. bye1.gif
Cassandra Rose
marilynbybrandon_190.gif A BIG contribution.

People say she looked petite when people says she was a bit overweight(I never thought she ever was overweight...just a bit pudgy) although she didn't to me...she looked mature and tall. BUT like Lauren's really good logical point with the shoes, she always seemed to wear heels in most pictures, with more weight or less. bye1.gif Ah, who knows. Height is such a hard topic to discuss for me when it comes to technically not knowing. But I do believe Marilyn had to have been what everone else says she was. 5'5'' and a half. marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Brigitte
I think she looks so petite in this picture.....
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/gold3.jpg
Ryan kenchington
QUOTE(Brigitte @ Sep 26 2006, 01:49 AM) [snapback]116147[/snapback]
I think she looks so petite in this picture.....
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/gold3.jpg

yeh true although she has 1 leg bent and way in front of the other reducing her height, i wish i was that small!! also i dnt think she is wearing heels because the dress is trailing on the floor and usually it is just touchin
zarabell
jumpymm.gif i dont think marilyn was 5ft5 ,because of the hair which gives her more height if u see what i mean ?? she seems alot smaller then 5ft 5 .not that we will ever know for sure !!
jennie2000
I came across this some time ago, a discussion about Marilyn's height. Some posts are really disrespectful but if you ignore them it's quite funny.
(note: you might get a pop-up even if pop ups are blocked, just to let you know)

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Marilyn-Monroe-743.html
meganmarilyn
According to Blue Books modeling signup card from August 2, 1945, Marilyn was listed at 5'6". On a side note, she was noted to be 20 years old. Which is obviously wrong, she was 19 in August of '45.

Paju
If she had been 5'6 she'd have been exactly the same height as I am!
zarabell
QUOTE(jennie2000 @ Dec 10 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]121718[/snapback]
I came across this some time ago, a discussion about Marilyn's height. Some posts are really disrespectful but if you ignore them it's quite funny.
(note: you might get a pop-up even if pop ups are blocked, just to let you know)

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Marilyn-Monroe-743.html

what a funny article ,i think she was 5ft4 as well !!
meganmarilyn
Who cares what height she really was. Like some have said, it doesn't change who she was or how gorgeous she was. If she was 6-0, she still be the same luminous person, only a taller version. I find it funny people debating her height of 5'4" to 5'6". To get any true height measurement, the person has to be standing fully errect straight up. There is no possible way to tell someones height from a photograph. They may be relaxing their muscles, maybe slouching their necks or arching their backs, etc. All of this could contribute to somone dropping an inch or so than their actual measured height. So this fuss over her height is a waste of time. Next thing you know, people will be arguing over her eye lashes, saying they were never real, or were too short.
Paju
Megan, you're right. No matter what her height was, she's still gorgeous.
But I think it's still interesting to know how tall she was. I'm not making a fuss about it, but I think it's nice to know her height.
zarabell
i always thought marilyn was shorter cos if she was 5ft5 1/2 and wore 3-4 inch heels she would have looked alot taller in pictures which she clearly doesnt !!
Lauren Michele
QUOTE(zarabell @ Dec 11 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]121766[/snapback]
i always thought marilyn was shorter cos if she was 5ft5 1/2 and wore 3-4 inch heels she would have looked alot taller in pictures which she clearly doesnt !!

All I know is I envy women who are petite because they get to wear heels. I so love heels. I am 5' 10" and I tower over people. I try to wear low heels and pass up all the pretty shoes and boots. :(
chocolatbuny
okay i feel REALLY stupid for replying to this comment that's almost a year old, but no one mentioned that 1950's dresses were cut right under the knee, and that makes you look shorter.like mini skirts make legs look longer. i've always read that she was 5'5 1/2 and when she's in pictures with other actresses she seems taller than a lot, like betty grable who i think was 5'4???and not a lot shorter than lauren bacall whose 5'8 1/2 . so even though it doesn't matter, and if no one reads this anymore, i think she was 5'5 1/2 jumpymm.gif
bombchanelno.5
QUOTE(chocolatbuny @ Sep 16 2007, 01:12 AM) *
okay i feel REALLY stupid for replying to this comment that's almost a year old, but no one mentioned that 1950's dresses were cut right under the knee, and that makes you look shorter.like mini skirts make legs look longer. i've always read that she was 5'5 1/2 and when she's in pictures with other actresses she seems taller than a lot, like betty grable who i think was 5'4???and not a lot shorter than lauren bacall whose 5'8 1/2 . so even though it doesn't matter, and if no one reads this anymore, i think she was 5'5 1/2 jumpymm.gif

I agree with you about the cut of 50's skirts. Many times I've put on a skirt that is somewhat voluminous and hits right below the knee..or even pencil skirts...and they make my usually very long legs look proportionately short compared to my torso. Very few people compare her to Betty and Lauren in GPB, they just assume how tall she is from still photos. The best (not completely accurate, but the best) way to tell how tall a person is, is to see them in motion and next to others of a confirmed height. Betty had a tendency to wear wedges and Lauren high heels so Marilyn probably was 5'5 1/2-5'6. She looks tall when she is singing in Korea. I, myself, am about 5'6 1/2 and when you are taller than average people tend to overestimate your height, but men tend to get it right. When stocking footed I am much shorter. Heels give you added height AND improve your posture.

Marilyn is about 5'5 1/2 no shorter. I don't think a sex symbol COULD be average height or under....unless of course she was Veronica Lake.

Does ANYONE think Jean Harlow's height of 5'3 seems a bit short...in pictures of her with simple 2'' oxfords on she still stands eye to eye with the men she is with.
Perhaps she is 5'5-ish?
Ileana
QUOTE(bombchanelno.5 @ Feb 28 2008, 07:55 PM) *
I don't think a sex symbol COULD be average height or under....unless of course she was Veronica Lake.

I don't think I quite see what you mean here.... unsure.gif
Alanma
I thought the autopsy report put her height as 5' 5 1/2".
jennie2000
QUOTE(Alanma @ Mar 2 2008, 12:31 AM) *
I thought the autopsy report put her height as 5' 5 1/2".

I'm pretty sure about that too, I remember seeing the autopsy papers somewhere, and I remember her height because she was my height.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.