Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marlon Brando
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > General Discussion
choc-choccy
Did they have an affair? What did they think of each other? or what did they say about each other?
Tara
They had a brief affair in 1955, when Marilyn moved to New York. It ended when Marilyn met Arthur Miller. But their friendship lasted until Marilyn's death. Marlon spoke at length with Marilyn shortly before she died. To his credit, he has never revealed what they talked about.

Marilyn on Marlon: "I have met him and like him both as a person and as an actor. I think he is one of the finest actors on the screen."

"Personally, I react to Marlon Brando. He's a favourite of mine ... he is one of the most attractive men I've ever met."

Marlon on Marilyn:

"Do you remember when Marilyn Monroe died? Everybody stopped work, and you could see all that day the same expressions on their faces, the same thought: 'How can a girl with success, fame, youth, money, beauty ... how could she kill herself?' Nobody could understand it because those are the things that everybody wants, and they can't believe that life wasn't important to Marilyn Monroe, or that her life was elsewhere."
choc-choccy
Thank you alot Tara & I've just found some quotes:

Marilyn Monroe On Marlon Brando:

"Next to my husband (Miller) and along with Marlon Brando, I think Yves Montand is the most attractive man I've ever met."

Marlon Brando On Marilyn Monroe:

"I did know her, and out of that sentiment for her, I could never talk about her for publication."
mels
Hi choc-choccy,

First, welcome on the boards ! bye1.gif

Can you please avoid to post in huge bold letters, and use the default typical font?
People will still see your posts and our members with small screens will still see a big part of the threads while right now your posts take a lot of screen space.

In the meantime I will edit your posts and delete the huge bold colored fonts.

If you have questions, please feel free to PM me!

Thanks for your understanding smile1.gif
choc-choccy
Okay & Thanks.

(About Marlon Brando:) I read recently that before Joe, I had had a secret romance with Marlon Brando. That's not true either. I have met Marlon and I like him both as a person and as an actor. I think he is one of the finest actors on screen. I have been receiving letters from teenagers who adore Marlon, suggest that I play in a picture with him. Maybe I'll forward these to Zanuck.
RobM
Marlon - " I bumped into Marilyn Monroe at a party. While other people drank and danced she sat by herself in a corner, almost unnoticed playing the piano"

Marilyn - "Marlon's kinda hard to tie down they say. He's never sure what he wants to do. He and Monty Clift have alot in common, though they're totally different people, but they don't plan their careers too well and they're not ambitious enough for their talents"
Tara
Lovely quotes Rob. Thanks ...
choc-choccy
What do Marilyn's biographies mention about her relation/affair with Marlon? was it serious long relation as I read they remain close friends till Monroe sad end!
choc-choccy
Any more details guys?
suusmarie
I think Marlon was a good friend till the end thumbup.gif ! Marlon send her this letter when she was in hospital in 1961, very nice. It is a pity they never did a film or play, they would have filled the screen beautifully together w00t.gif , both of them had great charisma!
I have always admired the fact Marlon has always refused to talk about Marilyn after she died, this shows the true respect he had for Marilyn thumbup1.gif ! I applaude this clapping.gif clapping.gif !!

hug.gif Suus
marilyn_style
Thank you Suus for sharing that note! It's so nice. I completely agree with everything you said about Marlon. thumbup1.gif

Especially this:
QUOTE(suusmarie @ Dec 1 2005, 08:36 PM) [snapback]93241[/snapback]
It is a pity they never did a film or play, they would have filled the screen beautifully together w00t.gif , both of them had great charisma!

I have thought the same thing! I'm sure a film with them together would have been magical!

Thanks again! biggrin.gif
Tara
Marilyn planned to work with Marlon several times but it never happened. Guys And Dolls, Paris Blues and another mooted project with Charlie Chaplin.

I think they would have been great together, and I'm sure that Marlon would have been more patient with Marilyn than some other actors were. He cared about her personally, and he had his own problems with Hollywood, so he would probably would have understood how she felt.

Actually, Marlon did talk about Marilyn - he wrote about their brief affair in his autobiography, Songs My Mother Taught Me. But in typical Brando style, he later disowned the book.
Charli
QUOTE(RobM @ Aug 8 2005, 10:59 PM) [snapback]85838[/snapback]
Marilyn - "Marlon's kinda hard to tie down they say. He's never sure what he wants to do. He and Monty Clift have alot in common, though they're totally different people, but they don't plan their careers too well and they're not ambitious enough for their talents"

That quote Marilyn made is soooo true!
Marlon's talent outwieghed any acting ambitions he had.
I can't believe he was in Superman! How embarrassing for him! I know the film was successful but it wasn't exactly "On the Waterfront" standard.

I have just watched On the Waterfront for the first time, and he was Brilliant!

Marlon was very similar to Marilyn acting wise. They were both very troubled and very dificult to work with. Marlon was probably worse than Marilyn on set. He never remembered his lines and he would get angry very easily, cause rouble at press conferences...ect

But I love him! I can undrstand why Marilyn found him very attractive!
Just looking at him makes any girl melt like an icecream on a hot day!
Robby
They did have an affair, because Marilyn once told Milton Greene that : 'I still don't know if I do it right.' Because she sleeped with him.
Charli
Oh my! Marilyn was a lucky girl to have snagged this guy!
I am jealous! jumpymm.gif
I think its great that they stayed friends. It reflects his respect for her.
Charli
Did you guys know that Marilyn used to talk about Marlon a lot at public places and parties?!!!!!!! But she used the code name "Carlo" so other poeple wouldn't know who she was talking about!

Also, another piece of trivia! Marlon was one of the first people to know abot Marilyn's physical abuse during her marriage to Joe DiMaggio. Marlon confronted her about the bruises on her left arm while on the set of Desiree.
Sweet Charity
It's very interesting to read about the relationship between Marlon Brando and Marilyn; I believe they had only a flirt, became then a friendship.
sweetseb24
Thank you Suus for that note biggrin.gif How I would have liked those two to have made a film together, that would truly have been awesome.
Blondie
That would be the best movie ever and they looked so cute together, jus awesome!
Charli
Look what I made!
Ok, I know there arn't too many photos of them tigether, so I decided to make my own!
I know this is pretty bad, but I couldn't help myself!
Sorry for the poor quality of it, but I don't have any HIGH Quality photos of Marlon! no.gif
Tara
Great pic Charli - very film noir-ish.
Charli
laugh.gif Thanks!!!! I think its horrible!! biggrin.gif

Here's another piece of Marlon Trivia for you!
I was reading a really good Marlon Biography today and it said that Marlon pulled out of the film "The Egyptian" because ....
a)he hated Bela Darvi (is that her name?) rolleyes1.gif laugh.gif
b)He was experience severe depression at the time
c)He didn't like the script as it was had no artistic integrity

...Marlilyn wasn't mentioned, but I think she wanted the Bela Darvi Part originally.

Also! Here's another piece of trivia for you!

When this photo was taken Marlon and Marilyn were both working on films for Fox Studios. Marilyn was making "There's No Bussiness Like Show Bussiness", while Marlon was doing "Desiree".
Both Marlon and Marilyn were in a lot of trouble with Fox at the time!
Marlon was in trouble for pulling out of The Egyptian, so he did Desiree as part of the setlment!
Marilyn did the axact same thing! She pulled out of "Pink Tights" so she did "....Bussiness" as a substitute!

They were very nuaghty!!! Tee Hee!
Well, at least they had artistic integrity by not doing these exploitative, crappy movies!!!

I love this photo of them!
They are looking at eachother like they are saying with their eyes
"Cheers to artistic integrity!"
OR
"Can you believe we are doing these crappy movies?!" laugh.gif
Charli
I found a new quote from Marlon about Marilyn!!!!!
I don't think anybody has heard this one before!!!!!!!!!!!

"What has acting given me?
Money, notoriety, fame, fortune, success.
Mostly weal and woe.
What about success?
It doesn't mean anything in your life, and, as a matter of fact, it takes a lot away.
It destroys some people.
Look at Marilyn Monroe!
It never earned her a nickel's worth-a dime's worth of happiness"!. no.gif

I think he summed it up, didn't he? no.gif
marilyn89
What does that mean
ziggy
Where did you find the quote Charli?
Charli
I am reading a really detailed, intrigueing biography on Marlon!
Its very well written and very accurate and fair in its portrayal of Marlon!
At the beginning of each chapter there is a quote by Marlon that sums up the the entire chapter!
This quote I found reveals his feelings about fame, success and money.....

Marilyn89, the quote is about how money, success, beauty, and all that material crap is no substitute for what the heart really wants.
You can have all the money in the world, but in the end thats all you have!

A lonely person with a million dollars is still a lonely person.
Tara
Nice quote Charli! I think he understood Marilyn's problems more than most. Which biography are you reading - is it the Patricia Bosworth one?
Charli
Yeah! I know! It is a great quote! (Especially since he hardly ever mentioned her in interviews!)

Ummm, I'm reading an old biography which was published in 1973! I found it in my bookshelf! My dad bought it years ago, but he never read it! So I decided to read it! blush.gif

Its called "BRANDO-Portrait of the rebel as an artist"!
Its a great read! And I think its very hard to purchase now! I think its pretty rare!

Yeah! I know! It is a great quote! (Especially since he hardly ever mentioned her in interviews!)

Ummm, I'm reading an old biography which was published in 1973! I found it in my bookshelf! My dad bought it years ago, but he never read it! So I decided to read it! blush.gif

Its called "BRANDO-Portrait of the rebel as an artist"! Its by a journalist and some-what "freind" of Marlon's.
They knew eachother for years, but they were never really "close". Its a strange relationship. Marlon told him a lot of things, yet they were never really "best friends" because of Marlon's ratheer complex character...
Its a great read! And I think its very hard to purchase now! I think its pretty rare!
Tara
It's by Bob Thomas, right? Thanks Charli. I would be interested in reading a good biography on Brando - there are lots of books on him but some are pretty inaccurate (including his 'autobiography', which he later disowned.) It seems like the more famous the person is, the harder it is to find the truth.
Charli
Yeah! Its a great read!
But it only mentions Marilyn twice!
It doesn't talk about their relationship as Marlon really never disscussed her.
It is a very reliable biography!
It is so much better than that new ones that come out clainming that Marilyn and Marlon had some seedy sexual affair...when we all know it wasn't like that at all!

People have no respect for the dead!
If Marlon was alive to see these biographers say these horrible things about him and his friend, he'd probably sue their asses! (AND HE'D WIN!)
But since he's dead, there is nothing he can do! He can't defend himself!
marilyn89
QUOTE(Charli @ Feb 14 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]98589[/snapback]

Its called "BRANDO-Portrait of the rebel as an artist"!

Its called "BRANDO-Portrait of the rebel as an artist"! Its by a journalist and some-what "freind" of Marlon's.
They knew eachother for years, but they were never really "close". Its a strange relationship. Marlon told him a lot of things, yet they were never really "best friends" because of Marlon's ratheer complex character...

I am reding a book with Marlon from 1972 it was written by David Shipman
Charli
Wow!

That picture was made almost two years ago!

.....and I am STILL in love with him!

It would be nice to find more information about their relationship, but both were incredibly private people so it will be difficult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.