Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Marilyn Monroe Story 1953
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
suusmarie
I soooo wish I owned this book rolleyes1.gif !! But it is really rare and usally very expensive no.gif . But one day I will naughty.gif laugh.gif

hug.gif Suus
Tara
Thanks for the pics Suus - I think it was the first MM biography, which is why it's so expensive now.
eddie
Joe Franklin claimed to have slept with Marilyn during the writing of it
suusmarie
Hmmm you never know but I must say if MM really slept with all the people who claim to have been her lover she would have had no time left to make movies what so ever wink3.gif laugh.gif ...
I remain sceptical toward all those men, I think it is mostly wishfull thinking on their part and MM isn´t here to contradict them anymore rolleyes1.gif no.gif
Nina
QUOTE(eddie @ Jun 17 2005, 04:03 PM)
[snapback]81266[/snapback]

*can't hear/believe it any more* and if so, it was a private topic, nothing for the public eye - looks like he wasn't a gentlemen either...

sleepingmm2.gif
marilynsgirl82000
QUOTE(Nina @ Jun 28 2005, 07:05 AM)
QUOTE(eddie @ Jun 17 2005, 04:03 PM)
[snapback]81266[/snapback]

*can't hear/believe it any more* and if so, it was a private topic, nothing for the public eye - looks like he wasn't a gentlemen either...

sleepingmm2.gif
[snapback]82146[/snapback]

Yea what A real gentleman he turned out to be. If it's true? Like someone else said, if Marilyn had slept with every man who claimed they slept with her how would the poor woman get anything done. Oh like making movies. naughty.gif
sugarkane20
Kindle version available

http://www.amazon.com/Marilyn-Monroe-Anniv...5927&sr=1-9
mberton
Anyone bought this yet? Wonder what the pictures are like? Tempted but from the sample on Amazon there seems to be lots of spelling errors so I'm questioning the quality ...
Tara
QUOTE(mberton @ Apr 16 2012, 07:32 AM) *
Anyone bought this yet? Wonder what the pictures are like? Tempted but from the sample on Amazon there seems to be lots of spelling errors so I'm questioning the quality ...

I just read it via Kindle. There are a few typos though the introduction maintains these were in the original manuscript - hmm, not sure about that! The pictures are all standard publicity shots and film stills, nothing unusual, but it's nice to see the layout. Overall I'd say it's a good read for a low price, and I think it's great that more fans can now read it.

Interesting to see how Marilyn was perceived in 1953, though the text is not particularly insightful. My only real criticism is that at the end the editors have tried to update it with some MM quotes, and several are of dubious provenance (the kind you find on the internet.)

If you don't have Kindle, you can always install the Kindle For PC app on Amazon and read it that way. It's not a very long book anyway. And Joe Franklin's website says they are going to reissue it in paperback as well...

http://www.joefranklinshow.com/themarilynmonroestory.htm
Paju
I might buy the paperback edition if it's good and reasonably priced smile1.gif
CYRILPARIS
QUOTE(Tara @ Apr 16 2012, 12:32 PM) *
I just read it via Kindle. There are a few typos though the introduction maintains these were in the original manuscript - hmm, not sure about that! The pictures are all standard publicity shots and film stills, nothing unusual, but it's nice to see the layout. Overall I'd say it's a good read for a low price, and I think it's great that more fans can now read it.

Interesting to see how Marilyn was perceived in 1953, though the text is not particularly insightful. My only real criticism is that at the end the editors have tried to update it with some MM quotes, and several are of dubious provenance (the kind you find on the internet.)

If you don't have Kindle, you can always install the Kindle For PC app on Amazon and read it that way. It's not a very long book anyway. And Joe Franklin's website says they are going to reissue it in paperback as well...

http://www.joefranklinshow.com/themarilynmonroestory.htm

Great new!!!!!!!!!!!! jumpymm.gif

"The Marilyn Monroe Story. (60 Year Anniversary Edition) The Intimate Inside Story of Hollywood's Hottest Glamour Girl."

We were going to add this to the BOOKS AND MORE page but the news is just too exciting so we created a page just for it. We are preparing to introduce the world to a book that Joe wrote nearly 60 years and has been out of print since then. There are only a handful in circulation and they are Collector's Items that range in price from $1,000+ - $10,000+
It just did not seem fair that most people have not had a chance to see and read this terrific so we have spent the last year putting it all together and preparing to offer it to people around the world!
"The Marilyn Monroe Story. (60 Year Anniversary Edition) The Intimate Inside Story of Hollywood's Hottest Glamour Girl" is a new release of the rare and very collectable first book entirely devoted to Marilyn Monroe. This edition includes all of the original text and photos.
It was originally published in 1953 by the Rudolph Field Company. It was published as a Hardcover with a color dust jacket and also as a Paperback. The original book was 63 text pages with 39 gorgeous black and white photos of Marilyn Monroe.
In 1953 Joe Franklin worked closely with Marilyn Monroe on what was to become the first biography of Norma Jean Baker who, at the time, was just 27 years old.
The casual remark, “It’s about time someone wrote the real story about Marilyn Monroe” led to the writing of this book.
It reveals the heart and soul of the girl who surely is America’s sweetheart and heartthrob. Her struggles for success and her studied endeavors to achieve happiness is told in a simple, frank, always warm manner. Just the way Marilyn would want it to be told.
The book is at home with Miss Monroe from her early childhood until her appearance in the movie “How To Marry A Millionaire.” As you read, you’ll laugh and sigh with the pretty, plucky girl who cracked the hard shell of Hollywood to become one of the greatest box office stars.
It will soon be available everywhere fine books are sold.
Roselyn
Great! Does this mean it will be available as a paperback and not just as a kindle ebook? I don`t see any info or other version on amazon than the kindle one. I sure hope to get it in print jumpymm.gif
Tara
QUOTE(Roselyn @ Apr 20 2012, 10:25 AM) *
Great! Does this mean it will be available as a paperback and not just as a kindle ebook? I don`t see any info or other version on amazon than the kindle one. I sure hope to get it in print jumpymm.gif

Yes, it will be out in paperback soon. Watch this space! thumbup1.gif
chris
It's a great new to get it on paperback
I don't like book on Kindle
I'm sorry but for me nothing could replace a good book in paper, nothing...
Chris
Tara
Ebooks haven't replaced hard copy for me either but they are a valuable supplement, especially as I review a lot of books. For me, who wanted to read this particular book more than I wanted to own it, an ebook is a great option. And I'm sure the paperback will be lovely too...
ronaldo
It's available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Marilyn-Monroe-Story...n/dp/1475004141
chris
Yes I've ordered it in "paper" after reading it via Kindle.
Chris
Paju
Well, since it's reasonably priced, I'm definitely going to get it. So many books this year, but no wonder... And I'm not complaining biggrin.gif
CampfireNetwork
Hi, everyone.I am a producer, publisher, editor, and author. Talk show legend Joe Franklin is a friend of mine and I have helped him produce a series of projects. If you do not know who Joe Franklin is, please check out his website www.JoeFranklinShow.comIn 1953 he and Laurie Palmer were hired to write a book with and about Marilyn Monroe. It is said that it is the first official book written about Marilyn Monroe. As far as we know, there are only a handful of original copies still in existence. Joe Franklin wanted contemporary and future Marilyn Monroe fans to see the book since it is so difficult to get a hold of.Despite my best efforts, Joe Franklin insisted that the "Anniversary Edition" be just like the original. The problems with the first issue included a great deal of grammatical errors and not the best quality black and white photographs of Marilyn Monroe that you ever saw.However, Mr. Franklin thought that many Marilyn Monroe fans would be interested in seeing how it looked, for the benefit of nostalgia. Now that the book is out, and people seem to be enjoying it, it looks like Mr. Franklin was correct. I would like to apologize for all those grammatical errors but I cannot. They were there when the book was written in 1953 and published in 1954. We then chose to create a SPECIAL EDITION because we felt that Marilyn Monroe fans deserved that. We spent a great deal of time in the layout and design and are very proud of it. The text flows nicely from page to page. We used color images, and found some great ones to use, as well as photos of some of the other wonderful Hollywood actresses that Mr. Franklin mentions in the book.Joe Franklin and I are huge Marilyn Monroe fans, but the recently published books were put together for you. Both books are available via Kindle and also as print copies on Amazon. We hope that you enjoy them.Scott P.S.As many of you know, Mr. Franklin has a unique personality and is well-known for his charming jokes and comments. Though some people may or may not believe that he "claimed" that he slept with Marilyn Monroe, kindly take it in the context of a similar dry and humorous comment by Groucho Marx, Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Woody Allen, and others who made careers delivering lines of false bravado. No one is meant to take the seriously. Joe Franklin is a kind and gentle man. He has a twinkle in his eye. If you think you heard a comment about Mr. Franklin and Marilyn Monroe then you need to watch this: http://youtu.be/9P9S-N3IV10. Joe Franklin will be the first to tell you that he had about as much of a chance with Marilyn Monroe as Groucho Marx.
QUOTE(mberton @ Apr 16 2012, 07:32 AM) *
Hi. I am the 2012 editor of the books. Mr. Joe Franklin wanted to keep the text as it was in 1953/1954. He thought people would appreciate it from a "nostalgia" standpoint. I did not agree with him at first, but it looks like he was correct. The same goes with the pictures. They are the same ones from 1953/1954. It would have been nice to use new and improved ones, but Mr. Franklin wanted to recreate the experience of having one of the original books. Without have to pay $1,000 - $10,000, of course. smile1.gif
Paju
Thanks for clearing that up! Now I know the difference between the Anniversary Edition and the Special Edition smile1.gif
MarilynIloveU
I'm reading this now, really don't like the way it's written at all.
Paju
Why not? Can you give some examples, I'm interested because I'm considering getting this book.
MarilynIloveU
To me it feels like I'm reading a college text book, it feels almost like it's teaching rather than being informative and entertaining. I'd say if you get it cheap it's worth it for histrionic value and being short makes it not such a drawn out process to read. If it was longer I personally wouldn't continue reading it. The content is fine, it's the style it's written in, and the grammatical errors that are the issue for me.
Paju
Okay, thank you, that clears it up for me. Maybe the writing style is a bit old fashioned, but I was sort of prepared for that since it was first published so early. It's also good to know that the content is fine, because it would have made me really sad had it been a bunch of garbage. I'm still thinking about getting it, mainly for the historical value smile1.gif
MarilynIloveU
The author seemed to almost want her pending marriage to Joe to fail. I guess he was infatuated with her.
Paju
I finally read this book that I got myself late last year. I have the reproduction, not one of the original copies. In my opinion it's a good thing the reproduction came out, because now more people (like me) are able to read the first biography on Marilyn Monroe.

And in my opinion, it shows that this was the first one. Also, you can clearly get the picture of how Marilyn was viewed at that time. Especially the male angle tells its own story. I found it amusing how in the end they compared Marilyn to earlier screen greats and practically gave her advice on how to handle the fame and her life. Turns out Marilyn is now more remembered than any of the actresses they compared her to.

So in conclusion, it's nice to have and definitely has historical value (although no new information but that wasn't really what I expected anyway) smile1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.