Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movie Star World Series Baseball Game July 9, 1949
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Picture Investigation
meganmarilyn
I am trying to get more information on this event. I have heard Marilyn was on a Love Happy promotional tour at the time. Marilyn is standing in a crowd of people, next to her is a man named Joe Murphy (either the guy on her right who is probably the manager of the White Sox, or the Chief on the left with his arm around her).

I saw that there is a short video clip too of Marilyn smiling in the dougout.
Mandydolphin
I have only seen the first picture you posted but know nothing about the where,when etc.
sabine
Well, looks like you know quite a bit already... rolleyes1.gif .....Comiskey Park, Chicago, July 1949....don't know what else we could add to that.....

sabine PS: Thanks for the Info, by the way! thumbup1.gif
meganmarilyn
throb.gif

sabine
Yes, the promo tour for "love happy" in July of 1949...Marilyn went to Chicago as well as New York.
The studio figured nbobody wanted to see the Marx brothers but they surely would want to see pretty starlet Marilyn Monroe!..so she was sent, even though her Role was tiny in the Movie itself.

sabine
meganmarilyn
Gus Zernial: One of the Best Baseball Players No One Remembers
He Played with the Greats and was Friends with Marilyn Monroe

Jul 20, 2007

Gus Zernial's greatest achievement in major league baseball was probably when he led the American League in home runs in 1951. He was a power-hitting outfielder who never played for a first division team, but he hit
Gus Zernial 237 career homers and batted .265. His nickname was Ozark Ike, based on a popular comic strip at the time. From 1951 to 1957, only Mickey Mantle hit more round trippers in the AL. In 1951, Zernial hit 33 home runs, and in 1953, he had his best power year with 42. He played for the A's in Philadelphia and Kansas City; then with the White Sox and Detroit. Although he was a great hitter, his fielding was far than spectacular. Twice during his career he broke his collarbone chasing down fly balls.

Norma Jean and Ozark Ike: While with the White Sox in 1949, a young starlet by the name of Marilyn Monroe came to the ballpark to do a pictorial for a National Enquire-type magazine. Gus remembered that she was "such a nice girl." "She asked a bunch of questions about baseball...she was really interested in the game." Zernial said that he was perplexed later when they made her look less than wholesome in many of her films. When DiMaggio started dating Monroe years later, they asked Joltin' Joe about Marilyn and Gus, and the Yankee Clipper made a disparaging remark about Zernial, something to the effect that "Marilyn would never date a bush leaguer like Zernial". For some reason known to only Joe, DiMag held a grudge against Zernial until the day he died.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/3...all.html?cat=49

meganmarilyn
Well MM and the other girl pictured are wearing the same shirt and shorts (4th photo). So they have a uniform per say. I don't know why this can't be the Film stars game.

Hey, could you post the pictures of the ticket and program? Love to see that. wow.

QUOTE(jennie2000 @ Apr 26 2011, 02:48 PM) *
Megan I think there were two events in Chicago, the pictures/ footage above on June 7 1949 at Comiskey Park (on the way by train to the East) and another, the Film Star's World Series at Wrigley Field in Chicago on July 9 (pic 3/ check shirt pics/ on the way by train back to CA maybe...)
The world series thing was definitely at Wrigley Field Chicago July 9 (I have a picture of the ticket and program) and I have the above pictures dated June 7... balloon.gif
meganmarilyn
smile1.gif
meganmarilyn
For the event at Comiskey Park - Chicago, IL. July 1949. Marilyn in shorts and hat.

I am confused. Was this in 1948 or 1949? On the website below, there are photos from this event, and of MM with actor Roddy McDowall going to Ricketts' Nightclub in Chicago 1948. Same timeframe as the baseball event.

Can anyone confirm this date 1948 as the baseball event? Or is it 1949?
http://www.marilynmonroe-photos.com/order-photos.html
CYRILPARIS
QUOTE(meganmarilyn @ Jan 5 2012, 12:02 PM) *
For the event at Comiskey Park - Chicago, IL. July 7, 1949. Marilyn in shorts and hat.

I am confused. Was this in 1948 or 1949? On the website below, there are photos from this event, and of MM with actor Roddy McDowall going to Ricketts' Nightclub in Chicago 1948. Same timeframe as the baseball event.

Can anyone confirm this date 1948 as the baseball event? Or is it 1949?
http://www.marilynmonroe-photos.com/order-photos.html

It's in 1949 for promotional Love Happy movie on East cost.
meganmarilyn
QUOTE(CYRILPARIS @ Jan 5 2012, 08:50 AM) *
It's in 1949 for promotional Love Happy movie on East cost.

Yes, but the website says 1948. With newly discovered photos. That's why I am confused.
meganmarilyn
QUOTE(jennie2000 @ Jan 5 2012, 10:18 AM) *
They also say it was "on this occasion that she met future husband, Joe DiMaggio", and "Undoubtedly, these copyright-protected photos will be the last professional photos of Marilyn to be unearthed"...
It's just some money-hungry relative/ friend of the original photographer who hasn't got a clue about Marilyn. Go to the About page, they won't even say who they are.
Beautiful pictures though.

Ya. I guess it must be 1949. Why else would she be in the midwest (Chicago) in 1948? The Love happy tour makes sense.
Joan Newman
clapping.gif

These are awesome. Thanks Megan.
Stacy
Thanks Jennie for sharing your ticket and program of the event. Amazing.
Also, thanks Meagan for the pics you shared.
Stacy
marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Jim Parson
I ran across this thread and am looking for some clarification of Jennie2000's post. Jennie states there were two events, but I'm unfamiliar with the event held at Comiskey Park in June 1949. It appears to me that all the pictures from the original post were from the Film Star World Series on July 9, 1949. The pictures of Marilyn in her bat girl uniform appear to be taken in front of the Wrigley Field dugout. Here's a picture of the Wrigley dugout in 1949...

Click to view attachment

It appears to be the same as the one they are standing in front of. In addition, you can see the seats behind them in the stands, which appear to be the same as the seats from Wrigley...

Click to view attachment

So if all the pictures were taken at Wrigley, I have to assume they are all from the July 9th event. Does anyone have any information on the June event Jennie was referring to?
linkeando
ŋworld series? which means that Marilyn was invited in 1948 and 1952, am I right?
Jim Parson
QUOTE(linkeando @ Jun 23 2012, 11:53 AM) *
ŋworld series? which means that Marilyn was invited in 1948 and 1952, am I right?

I think you may be mistaking the term "World Series" to mean the Major League Baseball World Series held every year to determine the baseball championship, Jeannette. To my knowledge, Marilyn never attended the World Series. It can also sometimes be used just as an expression. That's the case with the Film Stars World Series in Chicago on July 9, 1949, and the case with the Out of this World Series event held at Gilmore Field in Los Angeles on September 15, 1952. Both are just using the term "World Series", but neither was associated with the actual World Series of baseball. Hope this helps.
linkeando
excuse my stupidity, but I donīt know your culture, and itīs so difficult to understand and apply it to the photos ... wink3.gif
Jim Parson
QUOTE(linkeando @ Jun 25 2012, 10:31 AM) *
excuse my stupidity, but I donīt know your culture, and itīs so difficult to understand and apply it to the photos ... wink3.gif

Stupid? No! I think you are one of the more logical and thorough fans on this site. There's a lot of conflicting information in this post, but I believe ALL the photos you see in this thread are from the Film Stars World Series at Wrigley Field in 1949. I'm not aware of ANY event at Comiskey Park in 1949. People talk about the White Sox and Gus Zernial, but that all happened in March 1951 and has nothing to do with the Film Stars World Series or with the promotional tour for "Love Happy". If anyone has anything on an event at Comiskey Park in 1949, please correct me and further my education.

I love how diligent you are at always trying to get to the truth, Jeannette!
linkeando
QUOTE(nightxposed @ Jun 25 2012, 07:33 PM) *
Stupid? No! I think you are one of the more logical and thorough fans on this site. There's a lot of conflicting information in this post, but I believe ALL the photos you see in this thread are from the Film Stars World Series at Wrigley Field in 1949. I'm not aware of ANY event at Comiskey Park in 1949. People talk about the White Sox and Gus Zernial, but that all happened in March 1951 and has nothing to do with the Film Stars World Series or with the promotional tour for "Love Happy". If anyone has anything on an event at Comiskey Park in 1949, please correct me and further my education.

I love how diligent you are at always trying to get to the truth, Jeannette!

blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif throb.gif throb.gif throb.gif throb.gif throb.gif throb.gif throb.gif throb.gif throb.gif
linkeando

well! letīs start, I want to verify, with your help, this information!

I donīt know anything about baseball or stadiums (mainly because I donīt like), so my only help is the observation (and your invaluable help and knowledge).

Unfortunately we donīt have many pictures, so I'll use this one:

I look at those holes behind these people. And I have two names: Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park. This is my starting point. Interiors of these two football stadiums circa 1949.

An essential question before continuing wasting time. Are the two in Chicago? Remember, I donīt know anything, and can shock you which do such simple questions wink3.gif then sorry...

I found holes at Wrigley Field...
Click to view attachment

What a fool I've been, is for bats, right? LOL!!

... Track discarded. Let other tracks ...

I never doubt about a year: 1932... just kidding... 1949.
As I recall, Marilyn was in Chicago on two occasions: 1949 (LH tour) and 1958 (Promoting SLIH).
(Now come a hustler and tell us that she also stayed another year wink3.gif

With regard to place ... wink3.gif
Click to view attachment

then 1949 in Chicago, do you agree?

Now, I want to find out who is who...
Click to view attachment

* Gustty: ?
* 'Buddy' Rogers: Mary Pickfordīs husband and actor. I think and I hope this gentleman. I'm not very good physiognomist
* 'Forty Thousand' Murphy: Joe Murphy was an usher. The nickname origin of usher Joe Murphy, though, was simple. Whenever he was asked to estimate Wrigley Field's attendance, he'd say "40,000." Thus, he became "Forty Thousand Murphy".
* Monroe: This I leave, imagine how many Monroe in this world ...wink3.gif
* 'Old Fiher' or Fimer (I donīt know): ?

well, now Iīm tired...
linkeando
more information?
meganmarilyn
Outfit she wore for the newpaper promo for the Movie Star World Series. Also the Program (Events on cover listed from June thru July, you have to zoom in) and Ticket stubs.
flowing stream
Enjoy this rare score card at the World Series 1949 when Marilyn Monroe was a bat girl smile1.gif This was part of the publicity campaign to promote the movie' Love Happy'

Click to view attachment

meganmarilyn
QUOTE(flowing stream @ Nov 25 2015, 04:55 PM) *
Enjoy this rare score card at the World Series 1949 when Marilyn Monroe was a bat girl smile1.gif This was part of the publicity campaign to promote the movie' Love Happy'

Thanx you Livia! Any idea the name of the newspaper and date? We can do an online search for it.
suusmarie
thumbup1.gif
meganmarilyn
Thanxs so much Suus!
Stacy
marilynbybrandon_190.gif.
zeldazonk1926
Does anyone have a clip of the Marilyn at the baseball game? It used to be on youtube but now I can't find it anywhere.
meganmarilyn
QUOTE(zeldazonk1926 @ Apr 15 2016, 03:54 PM) *
Does anyone have a clip of the Marilyn at the baseball game? It used to be on youtube but now I can't find it anywhere.

Here ya go. Clip is only around 3 seconds. But I also slowed it down too.

(1949-07-07) MM In Baseball Dugout (Comiskey Park)
(Click bottom right slow download. Wait around 10 seconds for download link to pop up.)
zeldazonk1926
Oh wow! Thank you so much!
linkeando
footage better quality

http://www.gettyimages.es/detail/v%C3%ADde...icias/506426228

Where's the batgirl Marilyn??? clapping.gif
suusmarie
Thanks Jeannette clapping.gif
meganmarilyn
QUOTE(linkeando @ Jul 7 2016, 03:23 PM) *
footage better quality

http://www.gettyimages.es/detail/v%C3%ADde...icias/506426228

Where's the batgirl Marilyn??? clapping.gif

Jeannette, We Love You For Finding This Footage!!!

And yes, Marilyn can be seen in the background. 1st with Superman at Bat, then with the man in the dark clothes and hat (she is posing with him in photo). And yes, she is still holding a bat in her hand when he is at bat. Of course the pics aren't great quality, but you can CLEARLY see MM in the background!

--------------------

MARILYN BAT GIRL gif (with bat in hand, walking around).
https://www.pictshare.net/9ef1cf4969.gif

MARILYN BAT GIRL gif (cropped & enlarged).
http://www.imagebam.com/image/2c6194493948732
JC 96816
marilynbybrandon_190.gif adding the two baseball ones included in the set from Ricketts...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.