Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camp Pendleton 1952
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Picture Investigation
Harald Haefker
sabine
Hey Harald.....that's a great question.... bye1.gif .....WHERE are the Camp Pendleton pics???

sabine
Tara
I've been wondering about this too. This write-up comes from Donald Spoto's 'Marilyn Monroe: The Biography'.

Because it had been reported that she had seriously begun taking voice lessons with Hal Schaefer, Marilyn was asked to sing as part of an entertainment programme at Camp Pendleton, south of Los Angeles. There she brought thousands of soldiers to their feet with her expert, smoky rendition of 'Do It Again'.

Wearing a cashmere sweater and a tight skirt, Marilyn was completely at ease away from directors and coaches, cameramen and press officers. Her humour was sharp, her manner with the men exactly right. The master of ceremonies came onstage to thanks her, adding that she looked just fantastic and was the most beautiful sweater girl that they had ever seen at Pendleton. Without a pause, Marilyn turned to her audience: 'You fellows down there are always whistling at sweater girls. I don't get all the fuss. Take away their sweaters and what have you got?' And her quickness did not desert her backstage. When an impertinent journalist asked if she was wearing falsies, she replied: 'Those who know me better, know better.'

Spoto does not name a source for his account, but I feel that it is too detailed not to have happened. And I've heard those quotes many times. Perhaps there is a magazine article that will shed some light? Or perhaps, in some ex-GI's dusty attic, there is home movie footage of Marilyn Monroe, singing for the troops at Camp Pendleton?

Oh well, a girl can dream ... sleepingmm2.gif
sabine
Newsflash...Spoto get's LOTS of stuff wrong in his book. His biography used to be my favorite (exept for his ending...hard to swallow)....but then i came across more and more mistakes as my knowledge about Marilyn became greater and greater.
Parts of the book are still worthwhile (if they are sourced) but the rest is iffy.
Just my opinion.....

sabine
Tara
I agree Sabine, I have also learned about some discrepancies in Spoto's book. But still, it's quite a detailed account and has been mentioned in other books as well.

It just seems odd that there are no pictures out there.
sabine
The fact that there are absolutely no pictures is weird to me. I mean, no pictures of Marilyn...what are the odds????

sabine
sabine
Look what i found...a mention of Camp Pendleton appearance in a magazine (don't know which one) with pictures of marilyn from summer of 1952.....

sabine

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Joan Newman
I have this............
Joan Newman
LARRY KING, HOST: Tonight, thank you for the memories. We pay tribute to America's favorite comedian, Bob Hope, on LARRY KING LIVE.

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0308/01/lkl.00.html

It reads:

CALLER: Yes, Bob, hi. I would like to know if you ever met Marilyn Monroe and what do you think of her?

KING: Oh, Marilyn Monroe. Toured with you, didn't she?

HOPE: Sure, I do. Sure. Absolutely. Had her on my show from Camp Pendleton, and there were 800 kids came down from Roosevelt's Raiders out of the mountains after the training. And she walked out, and she said, hello. That's all. They went right to the ceiling, and I was with them.
Joan Newman
Ckeck out these stories from guys who saw Marilyn perform:

http://www.kwp.org/html/comm.cfm?com_url=2....90.176.476.122

" I saw Marilyn at Tent Camp 2 at Pendelton at the Outdoor Theater right before I left for Korea in 1952. With me was a friend, Robert Jowder from PA. 50 years later ,we live across the road from each other. Anyway, Jowder and myself were stationed at Tent Camp 3 in the 3rd Brigade. Bob ran up on the stage and kissed Marilyn before the MP's could drag him off. We could not hear her singing --only her lips moving because the guys were all yelling so loud. She was bent over singing to the guys in the front row and her bust was about to fall out and the guys went nuts. The guy that set the record for pole vaulting at 16 feet, Rev. Bob Richards, was there with Marilyn and pole vaulted across the stage. "
linkeando
great information!
Tara
Wow! Thanks, Nettie and Sabine! My sleepless nights are over laugh.gif
Stacy
Nettie!!!! I love you!
suusmarie
Wonderful info thumbup.gif !!
So... could the photographer of these photos, J.W Richardson, be related to Camp Pendleton, he is wearing an uniform hmm.gif ?

hug.gif Suus
Stacy
He took the photos for the December 1952 Leatherneck magazine. It was put out by the US Marine Corps.
I guess he could have been at Camp Pendleton. Too bad he didn't take any photos then.
suusmarie
Thanks Stacy biggrin.gif !
Isnīt it unbelievable that there are no pictures of this event that we know of huh.gif ?! It seems so unlikely that no person present would have taken photos blink.gif .

hug.gif Suus
Joan Newman
marilynbybrandon_190.gif I bet we'll find some pictures.
linkeando
Well, we have two possibility:

1š.- That we had seen those photos but we have not recognized them
2š.- That nobody not take photos (although this is a slim possibility)
brandonheidrick
Isn't the photos from Camp Pendleton the ones of her in the beige cashmere top with the beret and tight black skirt? I have slides of her wearing this outfit, I think she also had gloves and I know there's one slide where she's holding a huge boquet of roses.
linkeando
QUOTE(brandonheidrick @ Jan 12 2006, 03:10 AM) [snapback]96240[/snapback]
Isn't the photos from Camp Pendleton the ones of her in the beige cashmere top with the beret and tight black skirt? I have slides of her wearing this outfit, I think she also had gloves and I know there's one slide where she's holding a huge boquet of roses.

do you refer to these ones? those were taken during her visit at Brady in 1954
brandonheidrick
Yep that was the photo I was referring to. Spoto's description of her attire immediately reminded me of these photos ... then I realized I wasn't sure where they were taken ... so I assumed maybe they were the photos in question! But, (and ladies get ready for this cause you won't hear me admit it often) I was wrong! LOL!!!! Thanks Jeannette!!!
Stacy
I agree Jeannette. She was in Japan at the time.
Nina
QUOTE(linkeando @ Jan 11 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]96197[/snapback]
Well, we have two possibility:

1š.- That we had seen those photos but we have not recognized them
2š.- That nobody not take photos (although this is a slim possibility)

I tend to agree more to that what you've said, Jeannette, that we have seen them and do not know, that they're taken at Camp Pendleton. It's strange to me, that not even one single person should photographed her...

Maybe it's the problem again, that she wore similar clothes to other events and we mixed them or something like this. I have often problems with the clothes, when she wore the same dresses to more than one event laugh.gif

I'm sure, we will find out the truth some day and find the right pictures laugh.gif
brandonheidrick
In the August 1962 issue of Mi Vida magazine, Marilyn was quoted as saying she wore the same dress she received her 1951 Henrietta award in (the bright red one with the strange basket weave bust) to enterain 10,000 marines at Camp Pendleton. And while many criticized her fashion sense, the men seemed to love it.
sabine
And i love that animated dancing Marilyn! clapping.gif

Sabine

PS: Yes, it is strange that we haven't come across pics of Marilyn at Camp Pendleton......the white sweater/black beret pics are from February 1954 in Korea ......and the camp pendleton visit took place for sure because we have vintage magazine articles mentioning it......
I keep my eyes open for new developments .....
Stacy
mm

So according to Brandon she wore this dress to entertain at Camp Pendleton? Interesting.
mikecyc72usa
Well, you have to remember 1952 was during the Korean War, and not many pics were allowed to be taken at Bases or Posts. When no mobilization is happening, you can carry a camera, but when there's some type of conflict or emergency, better not get caught with a camera on you as a soldier. Having been in Special Forces, I can tell you from experience it's a bad idea. Think of it this way, the 82nd Airborne is our mobile ready force. Ever notice how few pics there are of events in the 82nd?
sabine
ok, maybe the soldiers themselves didn't take pictures....what about reporters and studio people asigned to Marilyn for publicity purposes? It seems odd there are no pictures to document her performance....i do believe it really took place because there are magazine articles of that time that speak about it.
It's just strange....

sabine
Stacy
mm

Here is another article that says Marilyn wore a strapless beige gown to appear before the men at Camp Pendleton. Movie Stars Parade, October 1952. This is one of the few references to her performance in vintage magazines that I have read.
linkeando
solution is in asking some soldier that was there LOL
linkeando
could be in camp pendleton?

what do you think?
suusmarie
According to this site the photos were taken at the Hollywood Bowl
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...em=250049943850 coolio.gif
linkeando
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.... :-(
thanx suus

Including first and second photos? I thought about military theme...

itīs a pity
jennie2000
Don't think so but trying... ?

Click to view attachment
Jim Parson
QUOTE(jennie2000 @ Nov 19 2006, 12:31 PM) *
Don't think so but trying... ?

This was taken in 1951 in Long Beach for the recommissioning of the USS Benham, Jennie. "The Frogmen" starring Richard Widmark had it's first Los Angeles showing that night. I've always been confused on the date though. A John Florea site I've seen says he accompanied Marilyn to the USS Benham on June 19, 1951, yet the premiere of "The Frogmen" didn't happen until September 1951, according to IMDB. Can anyone shed any light?

And I guess after all these years, we're still looking for pictures of Marilyn at Camp Pendleton. *sigh*
Mezzo
Tara posted this in November 2011: http://blog.everlasting-star.net/2011/11/p...n-with-marilyn/

Also, here is a photo from the divinemarilyn website:
Click to view attachment
http://storage.canalblog.com/63/37/312561/64695957.jpg

In a July 1952 Movieland article, another dress is mentioned: http://www.marilynmonroe.ca/camera/mags/movieland.htm
" But I wore the very same dress for 10,000 Marines at Camp Pendleton, and they seemed to like it. At least, I heard no complains! This was a strapless beige lace dress that dipped, not too much in front and had a fishtail effect in back. How wrong can you go with simple beige lace? "

Jim Parson
QUOTE(Mezzo @ Jun 13 2012, 09:15 AM) *

Thanks, Mary!
Mezzo
You're welcome, Jim. Tara knows her stuff. clapping.gif
meganmarilyn
MM & soldiers.
msjobean
Hello marilynbybrandon_190.gif I think these may belong here.
msjobean
QUOTE(suusmarie @ Dec 10 2018, 12:31 PM) *

Thanks again! I will make sure I stop adding photos to the investigation threads, and try harder to find the Public events / Paparazzi threads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.