Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "an Evening With Marilyn"
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
MarilynMonroeAudreyHepburnFan
I have an extensive Marilyn collection, however I don't have this book yet. I adore his series of photos of Marilyn but his book seems rather pricey to me. For those that have the book is it worth the asking price?

Thanks.
Meikkuli
How much are they asking for it? biggrin.gif I have the German version of it, and I do like it a lot!!!! I don't remember paying more than 30 dollars for it, and that was very reasonable indeed.
xoxo,
Merja
QUOTE(Meikkuli @ Mar 31 2005, 07:32 AM)
How much are they asking for it? biggrin.gif I have the German version of it, and I do like it a lot!!!! I don't remember paying more than 30 dollars for it, and that was very reasonable indeed.
  xoxo,
  Merja
[snapback]74071[/snapback]

Asking price is $65 plus shipping. I've looked all over for a used or different addition without success. :(
Meikkuli
1. An Evening with Marilyn
by Douglas Kirkland (Photographer) (Hardcover - April 1, 2005)
(Rate this item)

Not yet released.
List Price: $16.95
Buy new: $11.53

That's the info on Amazon.com...release date is tomorrow...The German version was only like 20 euros, now that I checked the site. Also Barnes and Noble list this kirkland book as around 10-20....so I dunno what edition you mean..maybe a signed one or something? Anyways, check it out!
QUOTE(Meikkuli @ Mar 31 2005, 12:42 PM)
1.  An Evening with Marilyn
by Douglas Kirkland (Photographer) (Hardcover - April 1, 2005)
(Rate this item)

Not yet released.
List Price:  $16.95 
Buy new:  $11.53 

That's the info on Amazon.com...release date is tomorrow...The German version was only like 20 euros, now that I checked the site. Also Barnes and Noble list this kirkland book as around 10-20....so I dunno what edition you mean..maybe a signed one or something? Anyways, check it out!
[snapback]74076[/snapback]

Oh my gosh! I'm SO happy. Thank you so much for this information! jumpymm.gif
I have ordered the book, thanks to your information. I'm so thrilled you have NO idea!! The DK series is one of my very favorites! marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Meikkuli
Oh, I am glad for you clapping.gif
Let me tell you what you think of it when it arrives!
Paju
Oooh, that sounds interesting! I love Kirkland's photos of Marilyn smile1.gif
~Paju~
MMcamera
I really like that book and would recommend it for the great photos!!! The new version is the same only smaller. If anyone is planning to buy it from amazon please consider doing it through the link on my site at Marilyn and the Camera

Thanks!!! jumpymm.gif
angel
Melinda, I have just seen your video-download Candle in the Wind and I was in the brink of tears...
Paju
QUOTE(MMcamera @ Apr 8 2005, 02:43 AM)
I really like that book and would recommend it for the great photos!!!  The new version is the same only smaller. 
[snapback]74571[/snapback]

What size is it actually?
Marloes
Yesterday, I went shopping in Leer (Germany) and I saw the book! But it was in German. no.gif Although I don't have problems with reading in German, I rather have it in English or Dutch. The book seemed cool, and I really want to have it, but unfortunately it isn't available (yet) in the Netherlands. Seems I have to get a creditcard and do some Marilyn bookshopping on Amazon.com laugh.gif
Marloes
I got the book, in English. I have the newest edition. I expected it too be big, but it's real small for a picture book. The pictures are gorgeous, I don't like the text, written by Kirkland, all the time. But it's a good book, if you go for the pictures.
Nina
mhhhh, I like the pictures a lot too (better, I throb.gif them) but I'm not happy with the quality. They look milky and blurred - that's sad. Otherwise I think it's a great picture book.

elastingstar.gif
Marloes
It's grainy, but in the book Kirkland tells that I was supposed to be grainy. Hmmm... I would have like them better when they were sharp too.
Val
QUOTE(MarilynMonroeAudreyHepburnFan @ Apr 2 2005, 07:59 AM)
I have ordered the book, thanks to your information.  I'm so thrilled you have NO idea!!  The DK series is one of my very favorites! marilynbybrandon_190.gif
[snapback]74199[/snapback]

I have the book and yes it is worth it. You'll love it. throb.gif
wootness
I was walking through Barnes & Nobles tonight and what do I see?!? The new version of this book! So I snatched it up!

It is the small version... I love the colors of the book!
Zelda Zonk
Well, lucky you, CJ! I'm sure you're loving it. biggrin.gif I have one question though: just how small is the book?
wootness
Alessia... the book is 8.2 x 7.0 x 0.7 inches.
Clift
You are very lucky Graig,
I will buy the book (other edition) in september, when i go to Paris,

Here is the link in amazon, for more information:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/193...9659316-8190450
Paju
I found this book today at the Book Fair. It's the smaller edition, but I love it biggrin.gif I read some of it on the bus on my way home. The pictures are lovely.
Tara
Oh how lucky!
Marloes
I have it too, it's a beautiful little book! biggrin.gif

Elsie Marina
oo I have this one too I got it last year, its fairly easy to get around here! biggrin.gif
Paju
I feel lucky, because I haven't seen the book here ever before. Of course I could have ordered it from Amazon, but somehow other books always came first... Now that I saw this book on the Book Fair I just had to get it. It's so cute smile1.gif
Fav
So is this version a reissue? : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...lyn-Monroe.html

I'd not heard of this book before! Though it does feel like a 50 years cash in.
Tara
QUOTE(Fav @ Jul 2 2012, 04:08 PM) *
So is this version a reissue? : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...lyn-Monroe.html

I'd not heard of this book before! Though it does feel like a 50 years cash in.

It does sound like a reissue, the other one is long out of print. I'd be interested in this, because I never bought the first one. But it would have to be something special. The product details suggest it's a bigger size, but the UK price is quite steep, IMO...

Hardcover: 144 pages
Publisher: Glitterati Inc (25 July 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0983270201
ISBN-13: 978-0983270201
Product Dimensions: 37.6 x 25.9 x 2 cm

Amazon UK

Book Depository

Amazon US

Publisher's Website
CYRILPARIS
I hope the photos will look better than the first edition!
unsure.gif
ronaldo
I actually ordered this book as a second hand one a few months ago and it never arrived. Need to check what happened there.
However this new version sounds very promising!
Robby
Just today I reread this book, and although the pictures are wonderful, some of the text got me confused. Does anyone believe Marilyn invited Kirkland in bed with her?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.