Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adam Victor - The Encyclopedia
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Pages: 1, 2
Nina
Can someone help me about Adam Victor? I know he's the author of The Encyclopedia but there's another book available of him called The Complete - are those two books only different editions or two different books?

I need helpsmilie.gif - hug.gif

newyear.gif
Mandydolphin
I have both of them.The encyclopedia I have is the Dutch version of the complete MM.That's all I can tell you.
linkeando
the complete it´s a cd
Marloes
Yesterday I bought The Marilyn Encyclopedia, finally. I've searched for it for more than a year. I have the English version, because the dutch version is not very much available anymore.

I think it's a must have as a Marilyn fan. You can find pratically everything you need to know, just by going through the index. I think that's just great. The pictures are lovely, not many rare pictures, but always great to see them wink3.gif

What do you guys think of this book?

Hugs,
Marloes
Tara
I love it and can while away hours looking through it! There are so many little snippets of info, it's a great reference book. I also like the way he doesn't push his own views too much, and presents all the different angles on each topic.
Clift
The book is great, There are many photos and information about Marilyn, I spend my free time reading the encyclopedia and looking the pictures. I have others books of Marilyn, but this is my favourite...

Take care
bye1.gif
wootness
I want to get this book. I am always searching eBay for it.
Nina
It's one of my fav. books too next to The Unabridged Marilyn by Randall Riese & Neal Hitchens + The Ultimate Marilyn by Ernest Cunningham, who are from it's information very similar - but those books are my fav.

throb.gif
Mandydolphin
I have the Dutch and the English version of the book and it's one of my fav Marilyn Books.
nathalie
I have it too.It's a great book with a lot of informations.
Paju
It's maybe my favorite Marilyn book ever. The info is good and easy to find, and the pictures are so good! It's a must-have smile1.gif
~Paju~
Fav
Its an excellent reference book. clapping.gif Definitely worth buying.
Frances
I love the M Encyclopedia. It is one of the first Marilyn books I bought and still one of my favorites. I think it is a must-have for any fan. I can look up most anything I need/want to know about Marilyn with the flip of a page... not to mention the stunning and colourful photos on almost every page! I certainly recommend this book.
Robby
I still don't get what the difference is between 'The Complete' and 'The Encyclopedia'.
Tara
QUOTE(Robby @ Oct 14 2005, 12:45 PM) [snapback]90526[/snapback]
I still don't get what the difference is between 'The Complete' and 'The Encyclopedia'.

'The Marilyn Encyclopedia' was published in hardcover by Overlook Press, an American company, in October 1999. 'The Complete Marilyn' was published in hardcover by Thames & Hudson, a transcontinental company, just a month later in November 1999. Both books are 352 pp, so there is probably no difference. I would guess that 'Complete Marilyn' was published for non-American buyers.

To complicate things further, Overlook Press brought out 'The Marilyn Encylopedia' in paperback in 2003. This is the edition I have. On the copyright page, it just says 'first published 1999', but I have checked the ISBN and it matches. This edition is 342pp, so 10pp shorter than the original edition.

Hope this helps to clear up the mystery! laugh.gif
Robby
Thank you, thank you! clapping.gif Tara!
Tara
Robby, you're welcome biggrin.gif
craigie
can any of you lucky owners of the Marilyn Encyclopedia tell me what size the images of Marilyn wearing red cowboy hat and white boots are
also, where can i get this elusive book?

thanks
Tara
Not sure where you're from, Craigie, but I've found a link to the book on Amazon.com (with sneak preview)- click here

There are several versions available, so it's worth doing a search for 'Adam Victor' while you're there.

PS red hat pic appears as a full-page illustration. Apologies for my ropey scanning skills!
craigie
QUOTE(Tara @ Dec 9 2005, 06:20 PM) [snapback]93808[/snapback]
Not sure where you're from, Craigie, but I've found a link to the book on Amazon.com (with sneak preview)- click here

There are several versions available, so it's worth doing a search for 'Adam Victor' while you're there.

PS red hat pic appears as a full-page illustration. Apologies for my ropey scanning skills!

are any of the other red hat images as full page pictures?

i liked your scan - no apology necessary and i thank you for taking the time
Tara
You're welcome coolio.gif
craigie
QUOTE(Tara @ Dec 9 2005, 08:45 PM) [snapback]93823[/snapback]
You're welcome coolio.gif

tara

are any of the other red hat pictures as full page images in the book?
Robby
No Craigie, only this one.
Lauren Michele
Thankyou then. The Marilyn Encyclopedia sounds like just what i need. bye1.gif
~TheGirl~
I got this the other day after wanting it for ages! Ive only had a very brief flick through but i can see there is so much to go through! smile1.gif

The only thing that bugs me is i wish i got the hard cover version. I see on amazon that there was a hard cover version that came out last year

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marilyn-Encycloped...901&sr=1-32
Robby
Congratulations, Margaret!
~TheGirl~
Thanks Robby smile1.gif
zarabell
marilynbybrandon_190.gif

hi i have The Complete marilyn monroe hardback book if anyone would like to buy it !! ?
Bobby
Just to confirm, is The Complete Marilyn Monroe the same book as the Encyclopedia? I've found a very reasonable price for the former but I can't find the latter for under about £14.

I've wanted the Encyclopedia for ages but could I simply buy The Complete and save myself around a tenner whilst getting the same book?

Thanks in advance.
jennie2000
QUOTE(Bobby @ Mar 3 2008, 01:50 PM) *
Just to confirm, is The Complete Marilyn Monroe the same book as the Encyclopedia? I've found a very reasonable price for the former but I can't find the latter for under about £14.

I've wanted the Encyclopedia for ages but could I simply buy The Complete and save myself around a tenner whilst getting the same book?

Thanks in advance.

It's the same book, just with a different title in the UK and the US.
eishoernchen
My parents got me that book for christmas (or was it for my birthday?^^) a couple years ago. It's a really cool book! I highly recommend it to anyone, who's interested in learning some interesting stuff about MM and her life smile1.gif And with that index you can find whatever you want/"need" right away =))
abeautifulchild
I just ordered this last night. I couldn't wait for it- so I ordered 1 day shipping! 18 dollars extra to be exact. blush.gif
I hope it lives up to it's expectations!
mmmMarilyn
Tragedy about this book: A few years ago, right around my birthday--I got a Border's gift card because I told my mama I wanted this (they had it in-store.) I go for the few weeks leading up to my birthday, it is there on the shelf..there...there...there.....there.........there...................

Then, I take the day off of school for my birthday, me and my mama go to lunch, it is a beautiful March day, spirits are high, I've got my gift card...

I walk to the movie star section..

And it is gone.
Somebody BOUGHT IT right before my dang birthday!!!!!!!!! It was there for weeeekkkksss, sitting on the shelf, I was SURE nobody would buy it, but of course the day I go expecting to purchase it, it is gone. It has frustrated me to this day, because I wanted it SOO BAD so I'm gonna have to buy it online sometime.
Grr..

(PS I picture you all grabbing your face and going OH NO! like Sugar in SLIH as Shell Oil Jr. is telling his "8 hours later they brought her up by mule" Grand Canyon story. heeheehee)
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(mmmMarilyn @ Jul 18 2008, 12:02 AM) *
(PS I picture you all grabbing your face and going OH NO! like Sugar in SLIH as Shell Oil Jr. is telling his "8 hours later they brought her up by mule" Grand Canyon story. heeheehee)

laugh.gif

My jaw actually dropped! How awful!! I feel for you because: IT. HAPPENED. TO. ME. TOO. *bursts into tears*
Hahaha, no it was that new book out called- I think- Images of Marilyn Monroe and it was at Barnes & Noble. I was there on a lazy Sunday with only enough money for a coffee. I was browsing the bargains section and I came across that book for $12, so naturally my reaction was of course, " mf_w00t1.gif !" But like I said, I didn't have any money. I asked my dad to take me there the next weekend and ALL THE COPIES WERE GONE! I had to go 2 cities away to get it.
Although needless to say it was worth it. wink3.gif
bonadrag
for borders: you can order it online and pick it up in the store! they e-mail you when it arrives and you just go to the counter and tell them you have a book to pick-up, tell them your name, and pay for the book (if you're ready, or else you can just keep looking through the store or go sit down and relax and look through the book). it usually arrives within a week for me but i'm not sure for other places.
i love doing that though, it's so easy! biggrin.gif i just did that for the encyclopedia today. i'm so excited. i'd previously checked it out from my local library but i didn't get to look through it too much, i just remember it was so informative. i loved it.

p.s. barnes & noble had 3 marilyn books in their bargain section, all of them for under 12 dollars, when i went yesterday. they had the andre de dienes book, a life in pictures, and this other one i can't remember. all hardcovers. maybe they have them at your barnes & noble too!
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(bonadrag @ Jul 18 2008, 02:48 AM) *
p.s. barnes & noble had 3 marilyn books in their bargain section, all of them for under 12 dollars, when i went yesterday. they had the andre de dienes book, a life in pictures, and this other one i can't remember. all hardcovers. maybe they have them at your barnes & noble too!

It was 'The Many Lives of Marilyn Monroe' wasn't it? And they also had 'Movie Icons: Marilyn Monroe' I'm sure of it.

Thanks for the info! hug.gif
bonadrag
QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jul 17 2008, 06:52 PM) *
It was 'The Many Lives of Marilyn Monroe' wasn't it? And they also had 'Movie Icons: Marilyn Monroe' I'm sure of it.

Thanks for the info! hug.gif

oh yeah, that was it! and i totally forgot about the movie icons one, thanks! blush.gif no problem, though! hug.gif i love getting a new marilyn book, it makes my freakin' week! jumpymm.gif
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(bonadrag @ Jul 18 2008, 02:57 AM) *
i love getting a new marilyn book, it makes my freakin' week! jumpymm.gif

Me too. It is impossible not to be happy once it's arrived!! Usually though there aren't many books that I haven't seen before at Barnes & Noble or Border's. I usually only see 'The Complete Last Sitting', Barbara Leaming's book, 'Inside Marilyn Monroe' or those picture books they sell by the doors for 6 bucks. But nothing new or interesting to me anymore. I get almost all of mine online now because of it.
mmmMarilyn
Isn't that the MOST frustrating thing--walking into a Borders or Barnes and Noble and going down the row: "have it, have it, have it, have it, have it."
haha!
Bobby
This book is exceptional, I've often picked it off my shelf to look something up. It always has the answers thumbup1.gif
Tiina
This book has been on my "want it" list for so long! Hmm, maybe I should change that soon smile1.gif
abeautifulchild
This book arrived to me just this morning and after only flipping through it I can see how amazing it really is! I knew I could trust all your raving reviews! I originally was disappointed when I realized that I had ordered the softcover by mistake, but I see now that it does not really matter, the quality and make of this book is so great! Though the pictures are nothing compared to the amount of information that is contained here- I was amazed at how detailed this book was. It's called the Encyclopedia for a good reason! Although I do wish there were more of my favorite pictures in here, all in all I am so, so happy with it! I also think that the price they ask for this is very reasonable- Tiina, get it get it!!
Tiina
jumpymm.gif I'm currently having a small break from buying new MM books because I've bought tons lately laugh.gif but after the break... wink3.gif smile1.gif Can't wait!
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(Tiina @ Jul 19 2008, 04:12 PM) *
jumpymm.gif I'm currently having a small break from buying new MM books because I've bought tons lately laugh.gif but after the break... wink3.gif smile1.gif Can't wait!

Needless to say, I hate you. laugh.gif (I'm teasing, honey.)

But definitely make this part of your collection someday! thumbup1.gif
Tiina
I sure will smile1.gif
Tara
A 50th anniversary paperback edition is being published on July 19. As it has the same cover and number of pages, I don't expect it to be different inside. Still, worth buying if you don't have it already...

http://www.ducknet.co.uk/general/title.php?titleissue_id=639

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marilyn-Encycloped...4663&sr=1-7

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Marilyn-En...r/9780715643686
Kevin
Hey Tara,
Will it be available at Amazon.com (US) as well?

Thanks...

Kevy biggrin.gif
Tara
QUOTE(Kevin @ May 14 2012, 10:20 PM) *
Hey Tara,
Will it be available at Amazon.com (US) as well?

Thanks...

Kevy biggrin.gif

According to the US publisher, Overlook Press, yes it will be. Amazon.com has the new cover but the old publication date (2001), so I don't know when the new one will be out, but probably around the same time. Incidentally, The Book Depository (link above) do free shipping worldwide.
Paju
That's great news for everyone who doesn't already have it! I think it's one of the must-have books: tons of info and lots of photos smile1.gif
ronaldo
QUOTE(Paju @ May 15 2012, 12:12 PM) *
That's great news for everyone who doesn't already have it! I think it's one of the must-have books: tons of info and lots of photos smile1.gif

Yes it is a great book and I guess there must be some updates because new books have been published in the last 10 years and people who worked with Marilyn have passed away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.