Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Milton's Marilyn
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Paju
Hey guys bye1.gif
I was thinking of getting this book, because I'm falling even more in love with Milton's pics of Marilyn. I'd like to hear your opinions on this book. Is it better to get the bigger version or is the smaller version still big enough? What sittings are included? Are the pics big and HQ or are there a lot of small pics?
Just any info would be great banana.gif
Thanks! redsitting.gif
~Paju~
Nina
I have both the big version and a bonsai edition. I prefer the big version and this is one of my fav. books. The book has +/- 200 pages and is half written with text and half shown with pictures but there are some pics between the text too. I would say that you find mostly photos of all their sittings; from the black one to the red, from the Gipsy to Bus Stop and The Prince and the Showgirl. It's really a wonderful photobook and the quality of the photos is great, there are mostly huge photos which fill the whole site and some are smaller but really, they're in high quality. If you have some money, you should buy it, Paju wink3.gif - JMO

Here is a text from the Schirmer/Mosel Website; (well, the photos are mostly not unknown for us wink3.gif)

English description: Only Milton H. Greene could photograph Marilyn Monroe like this - so erotic, so captivatingly beautiful and simply natural. When he died in 1985 he left a treasure-trove of mostly unknown photographs. They were taken from 1953 to 1957, when Marilyn and Milton were linked both professionally and by a close friendship.
Paju
Thanks Nina! I'm really excited about this book right now, I guess I'll order the big version soon syimarilyn_161_733.gif
~Paju~
Mandydolphin
I also have them both.And like I mentioned before.This book is a great one to add to your Marilyn collection.Milton's pictures of Marilyn are wonderful.Not a lot of rara pictures in the book but a must have.
Paju
Just one question: are the texts in the bigger version in English?
~Paju~
Marloes
I have the small version, and I adore it! It's so cute and I love Greene's pictures. The book contains a lot of pictures from her movies and behind the scenes. I also contains the pictures Greene took in his swimmingpool. It shows a beautiful, natural Marilyn. GORGEOUS!
This book is highly recommended!
Christie
all I have to say is just get it!! it is amazing!
Paju
I ordered the book today. And it is the bigger version. It's kinda like a Christmas present for me from me, so when I get it (which is probably sometime next week), I'll hide it until it's Christmas redsitting.gif
~Paju~
Nina
I bet you'll adore it. As mentioned before, the pics are well known for us but I really like to have the background behind their business- and friendship and Joshua did a wonderful tribute to the work of his father and to the memory of Marilyn.

redsitting.gif
Kadri
I have big version.I saw pretty small version Nina's archive-shelf on photo. It's very very pretty! But I haven't... no.gif

PS. Nina my birthday is January,13 wink3.gif HAHAHAHA laugh.gif
Nina
laugh.gif ok, *hon* I won't forget it laugh.gif

Paju, please let us know what you think about it, when it arrived (or after x-mas) wink3.gif
Kadri
laugh.gif Hahahaha laugh.gif Thank you! wink3.gif
linkeando
i have bonsai edition, but if you can, you must to buy the big version
Paju
The book arrived before Christmas but I saved it and kinda gave it to myself as a Christmas present newyear.gif I love it. I have the big version now, and I just adore the photos. It's so beautifully done too redsitting.gif I think everybody who likes Milton's photos of Marilyn and can afford it should really get this book. It's worth it smile1.gif
And it was a total surprise that a poster of Marilyn came with the book! biggrin.gif
~Paju~
marilyn
I have one question
What is the difference between the small version and the big one??
Are there other pictures in the small one??
Or is it just that it is the same but that the book is smaller??
Tara
I would like to get the bigger one - is this the right cover?
marilyn
yes that's the right one biggrin.gif
Tara
Thanks Marilyn thumbup1.gif
Megan
Sorry if this is a stupid question.. but what is the difference between the small and big version?
Robby
I don't have this book, Megan, but I think it's all the same, but the Bonsai edition is smaller.

Robby.
Megan
QUOTE(Robby @ Feb 10 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]98352[/snapback]
I don't have this book, Megan, but I think it's all the same, but the Bonsai edition is smaller.

Robby.

ok, thanks smile1.gif I was going to buy the bigger one and didnt want them to be two completely different things.
Tara
My copy arrived today - the larger one that is. It's a superb picture book if you like Milton's work with Marilyn (and I do). The text is also interesting, if only to get some background on the Greenes.

redsitting.gif
Fav
QUOTE(Tara @ Apr 28 2006, 06:13 PM) [snapback]104067[/snapback]
My copy arrived today - the larger one that is. It's a superb picture book if you like Milton's work with Marilyn (and I do). The text is also interesting, if only to get some background on the Greenes.

redsitting.gif

Hi Tara
How big is the big version of the book? I am wondering if it is the one I have got.
Tara
QUOTE(Fav @ Apr 28 2006, 08:53 PM) [snapback]104081[/snapback]
Hi Tara
How big is the big version of the book? I am wondering if it is the one I have got.

About 9 1/2 by 11 1/2 inches Fav. bye1.gif
hollywoodcinderella
Hey, few questions;

browsing on here: http://www.thearchivesstore.com/books.html

IS there any text/photo difference between the first edition & the European edition?

and the bonzai edition is a smaller version of the first edition book yes

Im looking at getting one, but wanting to knwo what one is better , if any - the first edition or the European?

Thanks! smile1.gif
hollywoodcinderella
I FINALLLLY got my copy today after a lot of piss farting around the the online book store -- anwyays - i ahve to say WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

The book actually bought tears to my eyes, such beautiful photos and so many i hadent seen before!!!!!!!!!!

Its now chucked on my must have list and in my top 5 things id save if there was a fire!

marilynbybrandon_190.gif marilynbybrandon_190.gif marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Marilyn-fan87
hey i was wondering is and diffrent between European Edition and the Us Edition?
ronaldo
I only have the so called Bonsai edition but would like to get a larger one. Are the European and US edition the same? And what would be a reasonable price to buy it for?

Thanks.
smooth08
Hi!
I want to buy Milton's Marilynbook the big version.

I want to know how many FULL SIZE pictures are in the book for each sitting .

Only those sittings:

1.Evening Dress
2.Nude
3.Mandolin
4.Schenck House - white top
5.Hooker
6.Gipsy
7.White Fur
8.Tree
9.Ballerina

I'm asking because I like only this sittings and books with full size picture.

Please answer.The book is a lot of money anf if I get only the other sitting in full size I will cry.

MOST IMPORTANT are the first 5 sittings from my list.
Paju
QUOTE(smooth08 @ Oct 7 2013, 05:34 PM) *
Hi!
I want to buy Milton's Marilynbook the big version.

I want to know how many FULL SIZE pictures are in the book for each sitting .

I'll try to help you. I'm assuming full size means pictures that take up the whole page?
Here goes:

1.Evening Dress: 1 small pic
2.Nude: 1 full size pic
3.Mandolin: 1 medium size pic, 2 small pics
4.Schenck House - white top: none
5.Hooker: 3 full size pics
6.Gipsy: 3 full size pics (one in stairs, two in window)
7.White Fur: 2 full size pics
8.Tree: 1 medium size pic
9.Ballerina: 5 full size pics, 1 small pic

Hope this helps!
smooth08
thanks a lot.

1000 thanks bye1.gif
Paju
No problem smile1.gif
I hope they'll release a new book filled with Milton's MM photos soon - while this book is beautiful, there are so many photos that aren't included.
Zebo
Can anyone log in to the site, MiltonsMarilyn.com?
lois_laurel
QUOTE(Zebo @ Dec 22 2013, 09:36 PM) *
Can anyone log in to the site, MiltonsMarilyn.com?

If you meant this site www.miltons-marilyn-monroe.com over 5,000 pictures... it no longer exists. I hope that some day it will return.
Zebo
It's still there though.
lois_laurel
QUOTE(Zebo @ Dec 23 2013, 01:44 AM) *
It's still there though.

Yes, but as you can see it's different than it has been earlier.
Paju
If I understood correctly, they will re-launch the site on January 1st, 2014 smile1.gif
lois_laurel
QUOTE(Paju @ Dec 24 2013, 09:33 AM) *
If I understood correctly, they will re-launch the site on January 1st, 2014 smile1.gif

Really?? I so hope they will clapping.gif .
lois_laurel
Nothing has happened yet no.gif (sigh).

Paju
Maybe it's because of the time zones or something...
lois_laurel
QUOTE(Paju @ Jan 1 2014, 09:09 PM) *
Maybe it's because of the time zones or something...

Kävin juuri tarkistamassa, ja ei ole vieläkään muuttunut. Muistatko, mistä luit, että nuo sivut palautuisivat takaisin 01.01.2014?
Paju
They posted about it on Facebook, but I don't know, maybe I misunderstood something.
lois_laurel
QUOTE(Paju @ Jan 4 2014, 07:53 PM) *
They posted about it on Facebook, but I don't know, maybe I misunderstood something.

Okay, thanks bye1.gif . I'm not in Facebook so I can't go and check it.
Paju
I guess it was the Archives Store website that was relaunched.

What I would really like to see is one big high quality photo book with EVERY photo Milton ever took of Marilyn. I realize it would be huge, but it would also be amazing. Or, in case it was too huge to actually be doable, how about high quality individual photo books for each sitting/session complete with every single photo from each session? I'd LOVE to see something like that. Black Sitting & Ballerina ones first please biggrin.gif
lois_laurel
QUOTE(Paju @ Feb 18 2014, 05:35 PM) *
I guess it was the Archives Store website that was relaunched.

What I would really like to see is one big high quality photo book with EVERY photo Milton ever took of Marilyn. I realize it would be huge, but it would also be amazing. Or, in case it was too huge to actually be doable, how about high quality individual photo books for each sitting/session complete with every single photo from each session? I'd LOVE to see something like that. Black Sitting & Ballerina ones first please biggrin.gif

That would be awesome but thanks to Milton's son we never will see that no.gif . He sold a lot of photos in last year as we all remember - and photos we have never seen before. My heart still bleeds because of that.

I would like to see Tree, Arizona and White robe thumbup1.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.