Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marilyns Favorites
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn Trivia
Pages: 1, 2
marilynmonroe517
I thought it would be fun for us to make a thread on all of Marilyns favorite things. For example,. perfume, color, song, singer, food ect.,,

I'll start
Marilyns favorite wine was Dom Perignon 1953 drunk.gif
the_Mmmm_girl
oooh great game Ash! let's make it a rule: no one can look her favorites up... it would be more fun that way clapping.gif

Fave Singers: Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald

next! biggrin.gif

oh and wouldnt this be more fitting in the Marilyn Trivia section? Just because that place is looking awfully empty flirt.gif
marilynmonroe517
oh youre quite right how do i movie it?
minx_dublin
I have the memory of a goldfish!!!!!! no.gif So just before ppl start posting huge lists of things, i thought id get in with an obvious one

Marilyn's Fave perfume was Chanel No. 5...........dahhhling clapping.gif

Caoimhe
Paju
Her favorite colors included at least red, white and beige... I think black was there too :zz?:
~Paju~
Norma
Her favourite poets were at least Walt Whitman, Rainer Maria Rilke, e.e.cummings and Edna St. Vincent Millay... htmamillion_200.gif
marilynmonroe517
more jumpymm.gif more!
Paju
I remember she liked to eat hot dogs when she wasn't dieting... smile1.gif
~Paju~
Val
Her favorite colors included at least red, white and beige... I think black was there too :zz?:  
~Paju~

You're right. Black was one of her faves too.
Val
Some of her fave musicians were Mozart, Beethoven and Louis Armstrong. Our Marilyn had good taste winkiss.gif
Norma
Her favourite movie icons were Jean Harlow and Clark Gable...
Marloes
Her favourite shopping place was Bloomingdale's
Paju
Her favorite photographer was Sam Shaw: "He always makes me look my best." smile1.gif
~Paju~
the_Mmmm_girl
*gasp* did she really say that Paju? awww that made me *smile* hug.gif

more favorite actors: Charlie Chaplin and Cary Grant
marilynmonroe517
does anyone know what her fav outfit was?
Paju
Well, I know that she was buried in her green Pucci dress which was one of her favorites... smile1.gif
~Paju~
minx_dublin
Elle Fitzgerald was one of all time favourite singers clapping.gif
minx_dublin
anyone know any of her favourite films..........
:zz?:
acechip21
This topic makes me wonder something... we all know how many people in our beloved Marilyn's life tried to take advantage of her and tried to make her mind up for her. Do you think it's possible that some of her "favorites" may not be her own? That they may be some of Strasberg's or Greene's? Not saying Marilyn wasn't brilliant (she was very) or even that she couldn't stand on her own 2 feet, but it makes me wonder knowing that people always tried to pursuade her. Just a thought! By the way Paju, where on Earth did you find that quote about Shaw's pics? That is so wonderful!smile1.gif banana.gif
Norma
Caoimhe, at least in the Georges Belmont interview Marilyn says that from her childhood Saturdays and Sundays spent at the Chinese Theatre she remembers one film in particular "very well": Cleopatra, with Claudette Colbert. Of her later favorites I can find no information on... :zz?:
PlanetMarilyn
does anyone know what her fav outfit was?

I believe it was the black dress with the lace bodice and matching black jacket that she wore many times between 1958 and 1962. She wore it on the following occasions that I'm aware of: to collect her David Di Donatello Award, to the Kruschev luncheon at Fox, in the last scenes of LML, in Las Vegas when she sat with Dean Martin and Liz Taylor at Sinatra's show, during her trip to Mexico, to a dinner at the Lawfords for Robert Kennedy, and during the hair, make-up and costume tests for SGTG. She really seemed to love this outfit!
marilynbybrandon_190.gif
the_Mmmm_girl
hmm that actually doesn't sound familiar to me!! anyone have a picture of that dress?? biggrin.gif
* Jae$een *
Her favourite restaurant was "Romanoff's"...
cheers.gif
mels
QUOTE(the_Mmmm_girl @ Jun 15 2004, 01:28 AM)
hmm that actually doesn't sound familiar to me!! anyone have a picture of that dress??  biggrin.gif
[snapback]55240[/snapback]

Here's an example of the outfit. I have to say that I adore it!

the_Mmmm_girl
ohh I see and its sheer at the top? she just had the best fashion sense
shiningdiamond
Another favourite perfume was Joy.
eccentrically
She liked to disguise herself and go out in public to avoid the being seen. She said it made her feel somewhat normal... balloon.gif
I posted an image of her in disguise in Rare Photos
crash32002
QUOTE(eccentrically @ Dec 20 2004, 09:02 AM)
She liked to disguise herself and go out in public to avoid the being seen.  She said it made her feel somewhat normal...  balloon.gif 
I posted an image of her in disguise  in  Rare Photos
[snapback]67982[/snapback]

Hey! Would you mind reposting thoes images or sending me a link to the thread. I've looked for them, but didn't have any luck. jumpymm.gif
riches4me2
The only thing I know of her faves are fave perfume is Chanel No. 5 which was already said and that Arthur Miller and Tennessee Williams were 2 of her fave playwrights.
simplywonderful_monroefan
her favorite rememberence was when she went to Korea and entertained the troops!
poning
QUOTE(simplywonderful_monroefan @ Jun 30 2005, 05:20 AM)
her favorite rememberence was when she went to Korea and entertained the troops!
[snapback]82281[/snapback]

It's an honor to me...cause I am korean.
Tara
One of her favourite actresses was Marie Dressler, who starred with Jean Harlow in 'Dinner At Eight', and with Greta Garbo, another of Marilyn's idols, in 'Anna Christie', which MM later played at the Actor's Studio. Dressler was no beauty, but was a great character actress, just as Marilyn hoped to become.
poning
I love Clark Gable...He is hansome, sexy, perfect... throb.gif
Dano
Her favourite flower: rose
Her favourite snack: hot dog
Her favourite city: New York
Her favourite animal: dog
Young
Another favorite place to shop was Jaks. [It's in the George Barris book]
MMgirl192
Her favorite personal performances were in The Asphalt Jungle and Don't Bother to Knock
Robby
Actually you spell it 'Jax', I always thought.
californiadude
Her favorite artist's were Picasso and Michelangelo, she had good artistic taste! jumpymm.gif
Katri^
Did she love Italian food? I've read that from somewhere...
Robby
Yup, Fettuccini, Leon and Veal Picata, and also cavier.
bonadrag
one of her favorite books was How Stanislavsky Directs by Michael Gorchakov

does anyone know any more of her favorite books?
Margherita
tbird.gif tbird.gif
Brigitte
QUOTE(Ultraviolet @ May 26 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]134908[/snapback]
Well, she "liked" Mozart and Beethoven from classical music area because she didn't know many others, those are the names that everybody knows. And what I've read, she didn't listen much to Mozart or Beethoven, actually Marilyn was not a passionate music listener while being alone. One of the periods when she listened a lot of music was when she had encountered Frank Sinatra and she played his records again and again.

Louis Armstrong ? Same thing, of jazz she knew Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald like everybody by the and that's about it. She didn't know of course, for instance, who Billie Holiday was, allthough she visited her dressing room, only wanting to see her own calendar hanging there on the wall, which made Billie Holiday furious cause she thought first Marilyn had come to visite her, and Billie threw the calendar to Marilyn's face.

I disagree about what you said "she didn't know many others" Everybody knows names like Mozart & Beethoven because they were very talented and passionate about their music and why wouldn't Marilyn have them as her favorites!
Then your comment about Ella Fitzgerald, Marilyn really launched Ella's career!
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Bri...e_B/ella2-1.jpg
Ileana
That's right, Brigitte, Ella Fitzgerald wasn't hugely famous before Marilyn got her the contract at Mogambo. And Ella herself acknowledged that Marilyn played a pivotal role in her career.
Margherita
asgtg4katie.gif
Alanma
Marilyn most certainly did know who Bach was, not to mention Vivaldi. She much admired the precision and clarity of Baroque music, and of Mozart. Early Beethoven she found 'moody'.
I do know she grew to love Schubert's 'Trout' quintet. Rachmaninov was on her favourites list. The line in ''7 Year Itch' about 'knowing the Rachmaninov piano concero was classical because it had no vocals' was an in-joke against herself.
One record Marilyn liked very much was the Mozart Clarinet Quintet, performed by Benny Goodman.
Opera too, Puccini and Verdi. She knew the libretti and could la-la through many of the Arias.
I introduced Marilyn to 'Sea Drift' by Delius, a setting of text from Walt Whitman whose works she knew well. Marilyn listened intently to 'Sea Drift' and found it profoundly moving.
Look up the text, or listen, and you will realise why.
Nancy
QUOTE(Alanma @ Dec 17 2007, 05:11 PM) *
I introduced Marilyn to 'Sea Drift' by Delius, a setting of text from Walt Whitman whose works she knew well.

I'm a little confused? unsure.gif

nevermind. biggrin.gif
Alanma
For Ella Fitzgerald fans in the UK, there is a program on BBC4 TV on Christmas Eve at 8.30 pm on her life and work, and this is followed straight on by some of her performances from 9.30 - 10.10pm.
I hope they mention Marilyn.
Bobby
QUOTE(MMgirl192 @ Aug 15 2006, 05:52 AM) *
Her favorite personal performances were in The Asphalt Jungle and Don't Bother to Knock

Not that I doubt this comment but is there any validation on this available? A link perhaps ?
MissCaswell
She mentions being very proud of her appearance in the Asphalt Jungle in the person to person interview. I think you can see it on the Marilyn and the camera site.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.