Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Music related Marilyn trivia
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn Trivia
Pages: 1, 2
Paju
Hi guys bye1.gif
I really need some music related Marilyn trivia. Anything goes really. Like when did she take singing lessons and everything. The reason I'm asking is that I'm making a little Marilyn exhibition about Marilyn and music smile1.gif
One question: which songs did she sing in Korea? Diamonds, Do It Again (changed to Kiss Me Again) and... what else?
Thanks in advance marilynbybrandon_190.gif
~Paju~
lilgoldvw
She also sang "Bye Bye Baby" and "Somebody Love Me."
glamour
hmm.. I dunno. One question can be which songs where realized as Marilyn's but not actually sung by her but by singers who sound alot like her.. (kinda hard to phrase that question).. I know she didn't sing Teach Me Tiger and I think When I Fall In Love, I think there is more.

Another can be.. In the movie Niarga Marilyn sings along to a song called Kiss Me while it plays on a record player, who sings the original song Marilyn's character loves so much? And well I dunno the answer but I think she says it in the movie.

This is hard.. I will think of better ones and post more up. Sorry I couldn't help you more today.
Paju
She also sang "Bye Bye Baby" and "Somebody Love Me."

Thanks Lisa redsitting.gif
I need some more trivia, anything goes just as long it's music related!
I'd really like to put a very short biography there, and a list of her movies in which she sang something, and then a little list of music related Marilyn trivia smile1.gif We're building the mini exhibition in the end of this week, so I'm in a bit of a hurry wink3.gif
~Paju~
Norma
Well, she started taking piano lessons at the age of five. The white piano that had belonged to her mother was moved from one apartment to other throughout her movie star years.

Her musical idol was Ella Fitzgerald. "The most important influence on Marilyn's vocal art was, in fact, a recording I gave her called "Ella Sings Gershwin" (Hal Schaefer).

She always joked that during the nude photograph session with Tom Kelly she had nothing on "but the radio". In fact, they played Artie Shaw's record "Begin the Beguine", that was Marilyn's favourite at the time.

Her "first true love" -- who also broke her heart -- was her first voice coach Fred Karger.

On her last night alive, she was listening to Frank Sinatra records. At her funeral, "Over the Rainbow" by Judy Garland was played.

:kissme:

I don't know if these are of any help?
Paju
Yes, those are just what I need! clapping.gif Thanks!
~Paju~
lilgoldvw
In SYI, that's actually her on the piano playing Chopsticks.
moonjazz
In SYI, that's actually her on the piano playing Chopsticks.

I didn't know that! How fabulous! clapping.gif
glamour
Yeah Leah, I always thought that was a cute fact too. rolleyes1.gif
Marilyn666
and it was the only scene in the Seven Year Itch to be shot ONLY once!! laughing.gif
shutterbug
oh, thats so cute. yeah, that chopsticks scene is one of my favourites inthe movie clapping.gif
Paju
I love the Chopsticks scene on SYI. I was guessing she did play the piano herself but I wasn't sure, so thanks for the info! biggrin.gif
~Paju~
the_Mmmm_girl
Paju do you still need MM music related trivia? If so, here's one: according to Jim Dougherty what 2 songs did Norma Jean love to sing? (*hint, answer can be found in MM bio by Fred Lawrence Guiles)

ps. hehe you guys know this really belongs in the "Marilyn Trivia" forum right? tongue.gif
Norma
It's also interesting that in so many of her movies she played the role of a singer/dancer -- Gentelemen Prefer Blondes, There's no Business Like Show Business, The River of No Return, Bus Stop, Prince and the Showgirl, Some Like It Hot, Let's Make Love and The Misfits. She got to dance a lot and play a lot of instruments -- the piano, the guitar, the ukulele... :runwild:

Good luck with the exhibition, Paju! marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Paju
Oooh yeah, I still need more trivia biggrin.gif
One thing I'm definitely going to put there is that she actually played the instruments in the movies :runwild:
~Paju~
Paju
Hi guys,
I you know some more trivia please post it during today, tomorrow and Saturday. Of course you can post it after that, but this way it benefits the exhibition smile1.gif
Sooo... Got trivia?
~Paju~
the_Mmmm_girl
is it okay if its not music related Paju??
Paju
Well, the reason I'm asking spesificly music related MM trivia is that the purpose of the exhibition is to show Marilyn as a singer, a dancer and how her life was related with music. And the reason the exhibition itself has to be so music related is that it's held at Lappeenranta Music Institute/School. Hope you understood what I meant smile1.gif But hey, you can post other kind of Marilyn trivia on a thread called Funny Little Trivia Bits - located at General Discussion biggrin.gif
~Paju~
glamour
and it was the only scene in the Seven Year Itch to be shot ONLY once!! laughing.gif

Haha... that's funny! I never knew that! Thats so good to know.. biggrin.gif
Norma
The woman after whom she was re-named "Marilyn" was Marilyn Miller, a famous Broadway musical star.

In the Georges Belmont interview, at least, she states that at school her favourite subject was singing (as well as English and athletics).

She dated some of the most prominent singers of her time, Frank Sinatra and Yves Montand.

Her favourite classical composer was Ludwig van Beethoven.

The exhibition sounds really interesting! A great topic! :runwild:
lilgoldvw
Here's another one: Marilyn's songs on the official TNBLSB soundtrack album were sung by someone else, because Marilyn had a separate deal with another record company. (I think RCA Records - she signed with them in 1954 or so.)

The song "Some Like It Hot" is not on the SLIH soundtrack, it was specially recorded by Marilyn and released as a single. (I have to look in one of my books for the specifics of this).
Norma
So, Paju, how was the exhibition? What kinds of things do/did you have there? I'm curious! jumpymm.gif
Paju
Well, we built it on Sunday (we=me and my mom. She's in charge of all the mini exhibitions there and guess who suggested that Marilyn would be a good idea :saint: ). It's in this big cabinet with glass walls (except that the back wall is wooden), and it has four shelves. On the top shelf we put some Marilyn cd covers, Marilyn Sings! songbook, a mini biography and a couple of Niagara related pics (one where she has the Kiss record and is giving it to the guy, and one taken when the song "Marilyn" was performed for her). Next shelf: the theme is Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. We had made a "Diamonds" dress for one of my old Barbies, and I had spent hours to make her hair a bit shorter and more Marilyn-like without cutting it, and I had dotted the little beauty mark on her cheek with an eyebrow pen. She even has a little fake diamond ring. So she's standing there on the left and I put some white fur around her, in the middle there's a MM book open (with Diamonds pics, of course), on the right there's a postcard with the Diamonds scene and a keychain that says Marilyn Road. Next shelf: the theme is all other MM movies that she sings of dances in. Postcards with RONR pics, some printed pics from RONR and SLIH, a magnet where she holds a guitar, and some envelopes with Marilyn playing a guitar (RONR pic). Last shelf: the theme is Korea and Happy Birthday Mr. President. On the left there's one book open with Korea photos, and a couple of postcards witht he same theme. On the right side there's a golden beautiful fabric with a fake rose on it, and a postcard of Marilyn singing Happy Birthday Mr. President. I also printed some pics, and added a photo I took of her star on Walk of Fame.
So where's the trivia? I wrote it on a paper and put it on the door biggrin.gif
So that's how it looks like. I'll try to post some pics later! marilynbybrandon_190.gif
~Paju~
Norma
Oh, that sounds so great, a really elegant tribute to Marilyn! It's a good thing that people who maybe don't know much about Marilyn get to see this.

Please do post some pictures if you get the chance and if it's not asking too much...! riverofnoreturn.gif
Paju
I even added some Marilyn website addresses (like Everlasting Star! biggrin.gif) for people who might get interested and feel like they want to know more about Marilyn... smile1.gif
~Paju~
MarilynSings
Hi,

"Teach me Tiger" was recorded by April Stevens and "When I Fall In Love" by Sandra Dee (both in the 1960s). Marilyn never recorded these songs!
Robby
'When I Fall in Love' (The version that appears at CD's) is actually sung by Rhonda Fleming (Marilyn Louis) in 1957, wink3.gif.
MarilynSings
QUOTE(Robby @ Dec 14 2005, 06:45 AM) [snapback]94112[/snapback]
'When I Fall in Love' (The version that appears at CD's) is actually sung by Rhonda Fleming (Marilyn Louis) in 1957, wink3.gif.

"When I Fall In Love" was recorded by many artists, but the version you can find on most low budget Marilyn CDs is the version recorded by Sandra Dee. I got the original 45rpm Single from the 1960s (DECCA 9-31042) and it featured exact the same voice and arrangements.
Robby
That's strange, because I heard a song of 'When I Fall In Love', and it was claiming to be sung by Rhonda Flaming, and that one is the one who appears on the CD's. I'm confused now.
SusenSkellington
I didn't know that on the official "Theres No Business Like Show Business" soundtrack that all of Marilyn's songs were sung by somebody else, so when I got it (actually my sister bought it for me) and put it on I was so mad to find out that someone else was singing her songs! angry.gif
Tara
QUOTE(SusenSkellington @ Dec 17 2005, 07:50 AM) [snapback]94329[/snapback]
I didn't know that on the official "Theres No Business Like Show Business" soundtrack that all of Marilyn's songs were sung by somebody else, so when I got it (actually my sister bought it for me) and put it on I was so mad to find out that someone else was singing her songs! angry.gif

Marilyn was not able to sing on the soundtrack because of a prior recording contract with MCA. However, she does sing all the material in the movie. I can imagine that would be annoying, I would only buy it to hear Marilyn.

koreasing.gif
MarilynSings
[quote name='Tara' date='Dec 17 2005, 04:34 PM' post='94359']
Marilyn was not able to sing on the soundtrack because of a prior recording contract with MCA.

.... I think you mean RCA
Tara
You're correct, Tom!
Robby
At the end of 'River of No Return' song, you can hear her whisper 'thank you'.

At the end of 'Do it Again' you can hear her giggle.
SusenSkellington
Robby, I never noticed that! I'll have to listen more closely next time smile1.gif
meztisa
QUOTE(Robby @ Jan 19 2006, 07:58 AM) [snapback]96832[/snapback]
At the end of 'Do it Again' you can hear her giggle.

I know, that's my favorite part! Was "Do It Again" in a movie, or just recorded as a song?
Tara
QUOTE(meztisa @ Mar 28 2006, 12:10 AM) [snapback]101659[/snapback]
I know, that's my favorite part! Was "Do It Again" in a movie, or just recorded as a song?

The song is by George Gershwin. Marilyn sang it in Korea in 1954, but was forced to change the lyric to 'Kiss Me Again', as the original was considered too sexy ...

PS I recently read Al Guastefeste's book 'A Different View Of Marilyn', and he says that this was not the case. So it may just be a rumour.
Young
My absolute favorite song of Marilyn's is "My Heart Belong to Daddy." Her voice fit that song perfectly. I love when she sings "While tearing off a game of golf..."
Brigitte
Here's some more music trivia...
Who sang the opening song in the movie "Something's Gotta Give"?

When an irresistible force such as you
Meets an old immovable object like me
You can bet just as sure as you live
Somethins gotta give
Somethins gotta give
Somethins gotta give

When an irrepressible smile such as yours
Warms an old implacable heart such as mine
Dont say no, because I insist
Somewhere, somehow, someones gotta be kissed

So, en garde, who knows what the fates might have in store?
>from their vast mysterious sky?
Ill try hard ignorin those lips that I adore
But how long can anyone try?

Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight it with all of our might
Chances are some heavenly star-spangled night
Well find out just as sure as we live
Somethins gotta give
Somethins gotta give
Somethins gotta give
Nancy
QUOTE(Brigitte @ Apr 16 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]131674[/snapback]
Here's some more music trivia...
Who sang the opening song in the movie "Something's Gotta Give"?

When an irresistible force such as you
Meets an old immovable object like me
You can bet just as sure as you live
Somethins gotta give
Somethins gotta give
Somethins gotta give

When an irrepressible smile such as yours
Warms an old implacable heart such as mine
Dont say no, because I insist
Somewhere, somehow, someones gotta be kissed

So, en garde, who knows what the fates might have in store?
>from their vast mysterious sky?
Ill try hard ignorin those lips that I adore
But how long can anyone try?

Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight it with all of our might
Chances are some heavenly star-spangled night
Well find out just as sure as we live
Somethins gotta give
Somethins gotta give
Somethins gotta give

Wasn't it Frank Sinatra?
Katri^
I think it was Frank wink3.gif By the way I love the song laugh.gif
Brigitte
Yes, It was Frank Sinatra!
meztisa
QUOTE(Norma @ Jan 29 2004, 11:24 PM) [snapback]46646[/snapback]
The woman after whom she was re-named "Marilyn" was Marilyn Miller....

Which is funny, because she too was once Marilyn Miller! biggrin.gif
dwane
i thought it was dean martin? i'm almost positive it was. I LOVE that song!!!! everytime i watch the clip of marilyn doing screen test's for the movie i always smile, she looked AMAZING!!! at her best. it really makes me happy seeing marilyn so happy and care free. smile1.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QjkxWQs888

throb.gif
meztisa
Watching that clip saddens me. That would have been a great movie.
~TheGirl~
I totally agree, I too get sad whenever i see clips of "Somthings Gotta Give". Marilyn looks terrific i mean those hair and make up tests are stunning. I think it would have been a great movie :(

O and i too love the Frank Sinatra song smile1.gif
MissCaswell
Does anyone know if it was really her playing the guitar in ronr too?
TheDuke
QUOTE(MissCaswell @ Dec 3 2007, 09:36 AM) *
Does anyone know if it was really her playing the guitar in ronr too?

It was. Carl Rollyson says she had lessons for a few weeks before the film.

So much for hating it....she put as much effort into films as she did for films she "liked".
MissCaswell
That's just one of the amazing things about her smile1.gif Thank you for answering!
TheDuke
No problem Erica. We're all in this together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.