Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The First Movie Of Marilyn's You Ever Saw
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
Mariposa
Hi - the first movie of Marilyn's I remember seeing was as a child - it was on TV and probably in black and white - it was The Seven Year Itch.

I just remember the movie was a lot of fun and that M herself was funny. It cheered me up. I don't think her name registered with me at the time.

Also as a child I had a doll I really loved and thinking back she looked like Marilyn.

Years ago I began reading bios of famous women to find out how they became successful - to see if it would help me actually - M was one of these.

I think my interest as an adult in M really began tho' when all the conspiracy theories came to the fore. Also my ex when asked the sort of women he liked one was M who I didn't know much about at the time. When I was much younger I was told at times I looked like Shirley MacLaine or a young Diana Dors and Marilyn in some photos - maybe that's why the man was attracted! There are also some aspects of her life that are eerily the same as mine - but I haven't got the addictive personality. ( Incidently he once saw Liz Taylor in real life in a pub in England - even tho she was older then and overweight she was still beautiful.)

I wondered what the first film was that members saw.
audreyfan1
The first Marilyn movie I saw was Niagara when I was about 12 years old.

I remember I was sitting on the couch when my dad walked in and said "Hey, I found this while going through my old stuff. You should watch it. I think you'd like it." And he threw a VHS of Niagara in my lap. I knew absolutely nothing about Marilyn, so I didn't know what to expect when I started watching it. I was a tad too young to fully understand the story (the whole adultery thing went way over my head back then lol), but I was just captivated by Marilyn. I immediately though she was just the greatest actress ever!

I'm really glad that Niagara was the first one I saw because, right after that I watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and once I saw it, I thought she was a dramatic actress who could also do comedy. I had no idea that Marilyn was considered basically a comedic actress. So, I was like "wow! Marilyn Monroe is so versatile! I love her!"

So, I'm glad that my first impression of Marilyn Monroe was that she was an intense dramatic actress, because I'm not sure what I would've thought about her or what kind of fan I'd be today had I gotten a different first impression or if I had seen a film of hers that wasn't as good as Niagara.
Mariposa
QUOTE(audreyfan1 @ Feb 27 2016, 12:07 AM) *
The first Marilyn movie I saw was Niagara when I was about 12 years old.

I remember I was sitting on the couch when my dad walked in and said "Hey, I found this while going through my old stuff. You should watch it. I think you'd like it." And he threw a VHS of Niagara in my lap. I knew absolutely nothing about Marilyn, so I didn't know what to expect when I started watching it. I was a tad too young to fully understand the story (the whole adultery thing went way over my head back then lol), but I was just captivated by Marilyn. I immediately though she was just the greatest actress ever!

I'm really glad that Niagara was the first one I saw because, right after that I watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and once I saw it, I thought she was a dramatic actress who could also do comedy. I had no idea that Marilyn was considered basically a comedic actress. So, I was like "wow! Marilyn Monroe is so versatile! I love her!"

So, I'm glad that my first impression of Marilyn Monroe was that she was an intense dramatic actress, because I'm not sure what I would've thought about her or what kind of fan I'd be today had I gotten a different first impression or if I had seen a film of hers that wasn't as good as Niagara.

I like Niagara too - Marilyn plays a great villainess in it. I think critics cited too much parody in Ms performance, but I think she did it just right as a comic book 'baddy', and the actual colour of the film helps this affect. Joseph Cotton is also one of my favourite all time actors . Niagara in itself is a great film - I enjoy the scenery too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.