Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marilyn: In The Flash By David Wills
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Paju
There is a new book coming out in October. From the publisher's website:

A stunning collection of hundreds of rare and unseen photographs, behind-the-scenes notes, and interviews chronicling the media’s lifelong love affair with Marilyn, created by the acclaimed curator and author of Marilyn Monroe: Metamorphosis.

Read more here: http://www.harpercollins.com/9780062389701...yn-in-the-flash

Needless to say I am anxiously waiting for this one. Metamorphosis is gorgeous, so I except this one will be gorgeous as well!

Joan Newman
Well, that's a rare cover photo laugh.gif I would have put a stunning RARE image on the cover if it was my book. Maybe a rare one from a commonly seen sitting.
Thanks thumbup1.gif
Paju
I was thinking the same thing. I do believe there are some rare ones inside the book, but why not put one on the cover as well?
Stacy
Joan Newman
QUOTE(Paju @ Jun 27 2015, 08:16 PM) *
I was thinking the same thing. I do believe there are some rare ones inside the book, but why not put one on the cover as well?

Why indeed, Sirkku thumbup1.gif
Stacy
It does illustrate the fact that she was the eye of the publicity hurricane, but would have loved to see a rare one on the cover. Hopefully there are treasures inside. Metamorphosis was well done and the pics were excellent quality. Can't wait for this one.
flowing stream
http://marilynintheflash.com/Check it out!!! Amazing photos revealed. The clock is ticking for the 27 October publication in the US smile1.gif Just one of many gorgeous photos in the upcoming book 'Marilyn in the Flash' by David Wills. Publication date in the USA set for 27 OctoberClick to view attachment
Joan Newman
Thank you for that beauty. Here's another from the book. clapping.gif

Edit. Ooops blush.gif Sorry, Paul already posted this one in this thread:
Look Magazine Awards, February 26, 1952, Beverly Hills Hotel
http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/?showtopic=17742
flowing stream
QUOTE(Joan Newman @ Oct 15 2015, 12:54 PM) *
Thank you for that beauty. Here's another from the book. clapping.gif

Edit. Ooops blush.gif Sorry, Paul already posted this one in this thread:
Look Magazine Awards, February 26, 1952, Beverly Hills Hotel
http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/?showtopic=17742

You are welcome Joan
lois_laurel
Thank you Paju and Livia clapping.gif . I can't wait to see this book laugh.gif .
mberton
Has anyone received this book and, if so, are there lots of new photos (other than the ones posted in this thread) or are they much the same as in previous books? Thanks!
njsp1921
I saw the book. not any other new pictures. however all the quality is very good.
mberton
QUOTE(njsp1921 @ Nov 3 2015, 03:12 PM) *
I saw the book. not any other new pictures. however all the quality is very good.

Thank you! bye1.gif
Robby
Just received this one. The lay-out is very nice. However I have to agree with what has been said before, no new pictures. There are a few rare ones though. The book also contains a few nice quotes. Some pictures are a bit pixelated, sadly. I prefer "Metamorphosis".
CYRILPARIS
I agree with you Robby. The "Metamorphosis" book is very beautiful and it's only a photos book.
For Marilyn in the flash, It looks like a scrapbook and It shows the relationship of the press with Marilyn.
I was a bit disappointed compared other book with the size of the photos. The rare photos are in small format and most of the photos are tagged by captions, text, photos credit... What a pity!
I see that the author bought many photos from ebay's sellers "Mymoviememorabilia" and "Greatclassics" so may be he want protect them against copying I found too some errors for dates, places and captions but it's a real beautiful book but different of "Metamorphosis".
You can order it to Santa Claus santa.gif

Some examples of pages
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Some pictures have been published in the previous book "Metamorphosis"
(Top: Metamorphosis / bottom: Marilyn in the flash)
mberton
QUOTE(CYRILPARIS @ Nov 13 2015, 03:39 PM) *
I agree with you Robby. The "Metamorphosis" book is very beautiful and it's only a photos book.
For Marilyn in the flash, It looks like a scrapbook and It shows the relationship of the press with Marilyn.
I was a bit disappointed compared other book with the size of the photos. The rare photos are in small format and most of the photos are tagged by captions, text, photos credit... What a pity!
I see that the author bought many photos from ebay's seller "Mymoviememorabilia" so may be he want protect them against copying I found too some errors for dates, places and captions but it's a real beautiful book but different of "Metamorphosis".
You can order it to Santa Claus santa.gif

Some examples of pages
Some pictures have been published in the previous book "Metamorphosis"
(Top: Metamorphosis / bottom: Marilyn in the flash)

Thanks so much for the comparison. Not sure I will get this one seeing as I have Metamorphosis. Not many new pictures, really.
ronaldo
The book is just stunning!
123youandme
I like the book,too.
Beside the patches on the photos and that there are not so many new ones it is more than worth to be in my collection.
And you know what - I will read it! coolio.gif

Wills has done a good job here.

thumbup1.gif
Alanma
Review today.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-33...et-Playboy.html
Paju
I just got this one. So far I'm loving it. The photos are stunning and such high quality. Just beautiful smile1.gif
Stacy
It is a beautifully done book. Even though we've seen a great majority of the photos, they are displayed in a very pleasing way. It traces Marilyn's relationship with the press from her time as a model to the Dodgers game in 1962. I agree with Eric, there is some misinformation in the book, but not intentionally. I would recommend this book as one to definitely have in your collection, especially since it is a companion to Marilyn Metamorphosis.
Margherita
I don't have this book and propably won't buy it, but I really like this kind of good quality picture books of Marilyn with some text. It's so nice to go through the photos while sitting relaxed in an armchair, you don't always want to sit by the computer.

When it comes to the rarity of the photos, like guessed, they are not rare.
ronaldo
QUOTE(Margherita @ Nov 28 2017, 12:54 PM) *
When it comes to the rarity of the photos, like guessed, they are not rare.

There are actually a number of rare and unseen photos. Plus the quality of each and every one of them is truly outstanding. Highly recommended!
Stacy
I agree Ronaldo. The quality of the book far outweighs any mistakes or reprints.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.