Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Styling The Stars
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Tiina
I searched but couldn't find a thread about this upcoming book called Styling The Stars: Lost Treasures from the Twentieth Century Fox Archive. Marilyn graces the cover but it's not just about her obviously. I already preordered this book. Really looking forward to it! jumpymm.gif

Release date October 7, 2014
Written by Angela Cartwright (Author), Tom McLaren (Author), Maureen O'Hara (Foreword)

Revered for their indisputable sense of style, classic Hollywood films continue to inspire today’s fashions. But the carefully crafted appearances of the timeless characters personified by the likes of Clark Gable, Julie Andrews, and Audrey Hepburn came as the result of meticulous hairstyling, makeup, and costume design. In Hollywood’s trendsetting world of glamour and glitz, continuity photographs ensured that these wardrobe elements remained consistent throughout the filming process. Now, decades later, these shots provide a striking record of the evolution of Hollywood fashion from the 1930s to the early 1970s. Written by Angela Cartwright and Tom McLaren, with a foreword by Maureen O’Hara, this collection of candid rarities offers a glimpse into the details of prepping Hollywood’s most iconic personalities, plus revelatory stories about Twentieth Century Fox classics. Here readers find images of Shirley Temple as she runs a brush through her trademark curls, Marilyn Monroe as she’s fitted for an elegant evening gown, Cary Grant as he suits up for a swim, and Paul Newman donning a six-shooter. The result is a stunning collector’s volume of film and fashion photography, as well as an invaluable compendium of movie history.

Margherita
"Written by Angela Cartwright (Author),"

Angela Cartwright !! Is this the same Angela Cartwright who played the girl of the family in the tv-serie "Lost in Space" in sixties ? This is nice - she was my favorite actor in sixties when I was a kid; after Lost in Space she acted as one of the children in Sound of music.

And this book also seems very interesting, Old Hollywood. I must see if I can find it too.
Tiina
Received my copy. Impressing photo quality but nothing new or remarkable for Marilyn fans. I say skip it unless you really love old Hollywood and movie costumes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.