Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Icon: The Life, Times And Films Of Marilyn Monroe
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
MichelleMorgan
Hello, There is a new book out called ICON: THE LIFE, TIMES, & FILMS OF MARILYN MONROE by Gary Vitacco-Robles. Gary is the author of the Cursum Perficio book that was out some years back.

Here is a link to the publisher's website which has information and ordering details:

http://www.bearmanormedia.com/index.php?ro...;product_id=747
Tara
Mine's in the post, I bought it from the Book Depository. It's the first in two volumes (the second is due this summer), a dream come true for any Marilyn reader. Cursum Perficio was a great book, so I can't wait to see what Gary does with this.

Also, an interview here: http://www.immortalmarilyn.com/AnInterview...cco-Robles.html
chris
I've ordered my own issue on the same website and I hope to get this book very quickly as Cursum was a true great item
Mezzo
Great article, Tara. Thanks!

Here's a direct link to order the hardcover version: http://coverout.com/index.php?route=produc...YqdeVs.facebook
Paju
I hope to read your reviews soon smile1.gif I have Cursum Perficio and it's very good, so I expect this one to be a high quality biography. Also I enjoyed that interview, thanks for the link Tara smile1.gif If you all like it, I may order the first one & the second one together when the second one is published.
Margherita
Sounds very interesting and better than many lately published - at least the biographies. Is this a biography or random accounts on Marilyn with pictures ? I'll read the link anyway when I get back home, thanks.
chris
I got my own copy on the morning Yes!!!!!!!
I began my reading and already more than 5 pages with notes....
Mezzo
Do not order from CoverOut, the link I posted earlier. I ordered my book on March 13. It never arrived, and when I tried to contact CoverOut the email address provided on the order form proved to be fraudulent. I called the telephone number listed on my order and my message was ignored until Michelle Morgan contacted them herself on my behalf. A woman from CoverOut called me during the first week of April and stated that my order hadn't been filled because the person responsible didn't realize book orders had been made. I requested that she process my refund, as I had submitted a claim through my PayPal account, which I used to pay for the hardcover book. She said she would, "get him to do it." I finally received my refund twenty-nine days after CoverOut took the funds from my bank account. The publisher told Michelle that I would receive a free copy for my trouble, which was far more than I expected, but so far it has not arrived. Gary very kindly sent me an inscribed bookplate, which I thought was a lovely gesture.

I am very grateful to Michelle and Gary for helping me with this problem. I think that the way CoverOut mismanaged the distribution of Gary's book is shameful.
Margherita
Thanks for information Mezzo! I'm always worried if I think of ordering something online, and therefore have done it very little, my all Marilyn-books, and other books, too, I've only bought from large bookshops, antiquaries, only one Japan-guidebook I bought online.
I've also ordered hair colors from a very trustworthy german online-shop, no problem ever.

What kind of experiences people have here in ordering from Amazon ?
Alanma
I have dealt with Amazon for years, buying domestic appliances, tools, DVDs and CDs as well as books. Never a a problem until I ordered the "American Icon" book by Andra-Warner back in December.
Amazon have sent numerous emails and revised delivery dates, caused, they said, by unreliable supply dates from their own supplier.
Finally, April 11th was firmly promised. As nothing had arrived by the 18th, I complained.
According to Amazon, the book was indeed posted but must have been "misdelivered"!
They have promised a free replacement by next Wednesday, the 23rd.
Mezzo
I do hope our books arrive soon, Alan. I've been looking forward to reading this one.
Mezzo
A deliveryman just brought my hardcover copy, which was sent to me at no charge by Gary's publisher. This far exceeded my expectations, and I am thankful to Michelle Morgan and Gary for their kindness with regard to my original botched order. I cannot wait to sit down and read this book, as I have high expectations about its content.
Billie
I received my copy this morning. Can't wait to get started on it.
Alanma
Amazon kept its promise.
"Icon" duly arrived.
...........the wrong one.
Tara
QUOTE(Alanma @ Apr 25 2014, 09:37 PM) *
Amazon kept its promise.
"Icon" duly arrived.
...........the wrong one.

Which one? If you got Gary Vitacco-Robles' book, I think that's the better option. I've heard the Elle Andra-Warner book has been postponed until 2015.

I've been buying from Amazon for years and have always found them good to deal with (though they don't treat their employees very well, and don't pay their taxes, which bugs me no end!)

The Book Depository is a good online store as well, with free shipping worldwide.
Alanma
They sent the Gary Robles book.
The titles are very alike.
There are so many books on Marilyn now that it must be very difficult to find a distinctive title for a new one!
I have to say this is the first "blip" in years of buying things through Amazon.
" The Book Depository" are very good, too, as are "Aphrohead".
Tara
QUOTE(Alanma @ Apr 25 2014, 11:22 PM) *
They sent the Gary Robles book.
The titles are very alike.
There are so many books on Marilyn now that it must be very difficult to find a distinctive title for a new one!
I have to say this is the first "blip" in years of buying things through Amazon.
" The Book Depository" are very good, too, as are "Aphrohead".

Ah well, having read Gary's book I can honestly say it's a real tribute to Marilyn. Keep it, you won't be disappointed thumbup1.gif
Alanma
From the little I have read so far, I think you are right, Tara!
Mezzo
I agree, Alan and Tara. I am enjoying it tremendously.
Joan Newman
I had decided not to spend any more money on more Marilyn books myself. I am actually planning on giving up a few of the ones I do have that I never read or use any more. I am only keeping my favorites. Gary Vitacco-Robles's Cursum Perficio is definitely my most valued and it didn't cost me a fortune thumbup1.gif . My second favorite would be CHRISTIES Personal Property of Marilyn Monroe, etc..

With Gary having written another book , Icon: The Life, Times And Films Of Marilyn Monroe, I am reconsidering my decision. I know it will become my very second favorite book, replacing Christies'. Chris' post stating that he just began reading it and already has more than 5 pages with notes only reinforces my decision to buy it. Thanks Chris thumbup1.gif. I have zero tolerance for reading crap about Marilyn in books any more angry.gif . And I don't want to keep seeing the same photos with the same old text either.

I don't know why I haven't bought it yet or what I am waiting for. huh.gif
Paju
Bumping this... The second part is also out, so I was wondering what you all think about them. Hoping to read some reviews!
mberton
QUOTE(Paju @ Dec 15 2014, 06:11 PM) *
Bumping this... The second part is also out, so I was wondering what you all think about them. Hoping to read some reviews!

Both volumes are in my Christmas stocking so my New Year reading is sorted! Will post a review then.
Paju
Looking forward to your review! I helped Santa order both of them, so I'll also know what to read in January biggrin.gif
Tiina
My lovely fiance promised to get me both these books just because and we ordered the first volume today! jumpymm.gif Feeling very spoiled and excited. laugh.gif
Paju
Volume 2 arrived two days ago. Obviously I couldn't start reading it but I just couldn't keep myself from takin peeks. Volume 1 arrived today, and I'm so happy to start reading them. I'm just at the beginning, but so far it looks really promising!
Tiina
I literally just came home from the post office with my copy of Volume 1 and will start reading it today. clapping.gif
Paju
I think you'll love it... I know I do! I'm on page 101, chapter six. So far so good. I really like the way historical context is included!
Tiina
Just started reading the book and noticed that on the first page of the Bibliography is the address to one of my YouTube uploads of Marilyn that he used as a source, "A short interview with Marilyn." How random yet cool is that?! I never usually even check the bibliography first. mf_w00t1.gif Glad to have been able to provide something rare for the book. laugh.gif Here is the link http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uDHY2rhaYWQ
Margherita
How does this second book of Michelle Morgan differ from Marilyn - private and undisclosed ? Is it so much different that if you've read the first one, this would give enough of new info and interesting sights on MM ?
Paju
Margherita - did you mean to reply to this thread or somewhere else? Because Icon is not by Michelle Morgan, the author is Gary Vitacco-Robles. He has written Cursum Perficio, the book about Marilyn's last home.
Paju
I just finished reading Icon yesterday. It truly is a five star biography. For me, this is right up there with Michelle Morgan's Private and Undisclosed. Icon is so well-written, so well researched that I'm sure I'll be returning to it often. The chapters are divided so that it's easy to find information you need from a certain time period, such as Bus Stop or March-June 1952. Gary also writes about Marilyn's Christmases a lot, which I thought was a sweet touch. And the second volume really goes beyond 1962: it also deals with what happened after Marilyn's death, right up to 2012 to the half-centennial memorial. The final chapter (about the memorial) was a perfect ending to the book.
blondealways
I am looking for information on this two volume Bio on her. I see these books on ebay and they go for a pretty penny but have not been able to find out
what the contents are for it, is it the usual Bio or is there more? Just one is over 800 pages! Any Information would be helpful before I deceide to make
a purchase. I have looked through thos forum to make sure that I am not repeating what might already be here and if by chance I have missed it I
apologize. But I hope to hear from my fellow Marilyn Fans and Devotees!
Paju
I merged your question with a previously existing thread. ICON is, along with Michelle Morgan's Private & Undisclosed, the best MM biography ever written. It's very detailed, very thoroughly researched, and overallan excellent read. I reviewed it on my MM book blog and also had the pleasure of interviewing Gary Vitacco-Robles, the author of ICON.
blondealways
QUOTE(Paju @ Jul 21 2016, 05:03 AM) *
I merged your question with a previously existing thread. ICON is, along with Michelle Morgan's Private & Undisclosed, the best MM biography ever written. It's very detailed, very thoroughly researched, and overallan excellent read. I reviewed it on my MM book blog and also had the pleasure of interviewing Gary Vitacco-Robles, the author of ICON.

Thank you so much!!!
blondealways
QUOTE(Paju @ Jul 21 2016, 05:03 AM) *

Just ordered both books and they should be here next week, I am very excited to read them!
Paju
Let us know what you think of them smile1.gif
blondealways
QUOTE(Paju @ Aug 14 2016, 12:59 AM) *
Let us know what you think of them smile1.gif

Finally got the first book and have my night time reading, one of the pictures shows how far i have gotten into the
first book already! I am loving this!

Update: Sorry, I got caught up in another Marilyn book and another book that I just finished but these two
were absolutely delightful! Loved them and after i am done with the two that I have ahead I want
to read them again! It is worth the money! So if you have the chance get them!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.