Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marilyn An Illustrated History
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
lois_laurel
This is my very first book review so please bear with me.

I don't know where to start . I love photo books of Marilyn so I bought this new book of Marilyn with high hopes: Marilyn An Illustrated History by Sandra Forty. And what I got? It's filled with dozens and dozens of photos and lot's of these photos are very low quality (looks like the writer would have found the photos from internet and enlarged them on a computer and simply printed photos out with her printer at home) and this is not acceptable. If you are going to publish a book you have to have photos with quality. Don't get me wrong: there are photos with good quality too but mostly photos with low quality.

I'm more than disappointed of this book. I expected more than I got. Photos has been seen over and over and over again so nothing new in this book. How would I say this nicely - waste of money. If I had known this I would have not bought this book.

Stars to this book? I would say 2 of 5. Those two stars I gave the photos with good quality.

Hardcover: 265 pages
ISBN-10: 1844062740
ISBN-13: 978-1-84406-274-4
Product dimensions: 12.1 x 9.1 x 1 inches
Published by TAJ Books International LLC 2013
Jules
I saw it in the bargain stack at a book store a while ago. Just leafing through the book quickly out of curiosity, I reached the same opinion.
Some of the pictures look straight up pixelated.
lois_laurel
QUOTE(Jules @ Nov 13 2013, 03:08 AM) *
I saw it in the bargain stack at a book store a while ago. Just leafing through the book quickly out of curiosity, I reached the same opinion.
Some of the pictures look straight up pixelated.

Yes, and did you know that Arthur Miller was the second husband who arranged the funeral rolleyes1.gif ? This is what Sandra wrote.
Alanma
Is this the same book as "Marilyn" by Sandra Forty? ie, no mention of "Illustrated History".
I got mine from a remainder-book shop last week. It is well produced and the photo. reproductions are fine, certainly none in any way pixillated or over-enlarged.
Perhaps mine is a different printing.
It is marked "Copyright 2013 TAJ Books International LLC" and printed in China.
lois_laurel
QUOTE(Alanma @ Nov 13 2013, 05:11 PM) *
Is this the same book as "Marilyn" by Sandra Forty? ie, no mention of "Illustrated History".
I got mine from a remainder-book shop last week. It is well produced and the photo. reproductions are fine, certainly none in any way pixillated or over-enlarged.
Perhaps mine is a different printing.
It is marked "Copyright 2013 TAJ Books International LLC" and printed in China.

I don't know because my book is Marilyn an illustrated history, ISBN-10: 1844062740, ISBN-13: 9781844062744.

For example page 67 Marilyn's face is pixelated, page 103 (Andre's photo) is mushy, page 106 from Niagara is pixelated and over enlarged, page 19 David Conover's photo is over enlarged and pixelated, page 148 the same, page 193 the same etc.
If you can't see these you have to have a different printing.
Alanma
Interesting!
Mine seems to be almost a different book. ISBN 978-1-84406-267-6
There are only 96 pages altogether, 6" X 6", well printed with nothing pixillated.

Edit. I got this mail-order from Bibliophile books, who are very reliable - I've dealt with them for donkey's years.

http://www.bibliophilebooks.com/epages/Bib...ilyn&Page=2

Click on the book title for details.

They also have the Vachon "The Lost Look Photos" for only 8.50
lois_laurel
QUOTE(Alanma @ Nov 13 2013, 06:03 PM) *
Interesting!
Mine seems to be almost a different book. ISBN 978-1-84406-267-6
There are only 96 pages altogether, 6" X 6", well printed with nothing pixillated.

Edit. I got this mail-order from Bibliophile books, who are very reliable - I've dealt with them for donkey's years.

http://www.bibliophilebooks.com/epages/Bib...ilyn&Page=2

Very interesting. I have 256 pages and cover photo is different and it is bigger (12.1 x 9.1 x 1 inches) than yours. It has to be different book.
http://www.amazon.com/Marilyn-Illustrated-...yn+sandra+forty
Jules
^ This is the one that I saw at the book shop. Two different books by one person it seems.
penachristina
I love the book a lot of the full page photos I've never seen before.
so I banana.gif am very happy with my book
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.