Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Brothers Karamazov
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Phil Downe
Hi, I'm a Newbie on the site. I was researching Marilyn's library from the October 1999 Christie's auction and came across a list of 390 books that were in the auction with this passage in the section under Russian Literature:

355) The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (not in
the Christie's catalogue. But friends of MM recall her reading it as a young
actress, and she had hopes of playing Grushenka. Her own remarks in
interviews make it clear that she had read the novel.)

The list was compiled by Everlasting Star.

Mystery solved!

I have it, along with MM's copy of Abraham Lincoln, The Prairie Years and The War Years, by Carl Sandburg jumpymm.gif

Cheers,
MarilynIloveU
You own the book?
mberton
QUOTE(Phil Downe @ Aug 8 2013, 08:06 PM) *
Hi, I'm a Newbie on the site. I was researching Marilyn's library from the October 1999 Christie's auction and came across a list of 390 books that were in the auction with this passage in the section under Russian Literature:

355) The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (not in
the Christie's catalogue. But friends of MM recall her reading it as a young
actress, and she had hopes of playing Grushenka. Her own remarks in
interviews make it clear that she had read the novel.)

The list was compiled by Everlasting Star.

Mystery solved!

I have it, along with MM's copy of Abraham Lincoln, The Prairie Years and The War Years, by Carl Sandburg jumpymm.gif

Cheers,

Hi Phil and welcome to ES. If you actually own Marilyn's personal copies of these books can you share any inscriptions/notes in the books or details about the condition of the books?
Phil Downe
QUOTE(MarilynIloveU @ Aug 23 2013, 11:49 PM) *
You own the book?
Yes, I have MM's copy of The Brothers Karamazov! I also have her copy of the biography, Abraham Lincoln, The Prairie Years and the War Years, by Carl Sandburg. I got lucky at an auction on April 28, 2005 in Niagara Falls, Ontario. A private collector was selling his entire MM collection and he had eight (8) personal possessions of MM up for sale, (see attachment).Click to view attachmentAt the time I didn't realize the significance of my exceptional find, but I did buy Marilyn's two favorite books.This passage from Everlasting Star's listing of the books sold during the Christie's auction, August 27-28, 1999:355) The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (not in the Christies' catalogue. But friends of MM recall her reading it as a young actress, and she had hopes of playing Grushenka. Her own remarks in interviews make it clear that she had read the novel.)And this passage from Marilyn Monroe's Secrets, #3 Favorite Book, "One of her favorite books was "The biography of Abraham Lincoln." She was often seen carrying the book wherever she went. Marilyn certainly had a thing for presidents...". I doubt she was carrying the full six-volume, Sandburg collection around with her, so I can only assume she was carrying around the copy I now have.Cheers, marilynbybrandon_190.gif
QUOTE(mberton @ Aug 24 2013, 12:49 AM) *
Hi Phil and welcome to ES. If you actually own Marilyn's personal copies of these books can you share any inscriptions/notes in the books or details about the condition of the books?
Thanks for the welcome. Nice to be around people I can talk to about Marilyn. The answer to your first question is, Not a mark! Nothing at all but then again she wasn't known for writing in her books. Yes, she was notorious for margin notes in movie scripts and crossing off photograph negatives that she didn't want published with a marker or pin but not in her books.The answer to your 2nd question, "What shape were the books in?" was pretty good. I did have to have the Abe Lincoln bio rebound because the spine was weak and dried out, but overall they were in very good shape. (see attached). Cheers Oz,
mberton
QUOTE(Phil Downe @ Aug 24 2013, 10:42 AM) *
Yes, I have MM's copy of The Brothers Karamazov! I also have her copy of the biography, Abraham Lincoln, The Prairie Years and the War Years, by Carl Sandburg. I got lucky at an auction on April 28, 2005 in Niagara Falls, Ontario. A private collector was selling his entire MM collection and he had eight (8) personal possessions of MM up for sale, (see attachment).Click to view attachmentAt the time I didn't realize the significance of my exceptional find, but I did buy Marilyn's two favorite books.This passage from Everlasting Star's listing of the books sold during the Christie's auction, August 27-28, 1999:355) The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (not in the Christies' catalogue. But friends of MM recall her reading it as a young actress, and she had hopes of playing Grushenka. Her own remarks in interviews make it clear that she had read the novel.)And this passage from Marilyn Monroe's Secrets, #3 Favorite Book, "One of her favorite books was "The biography of Abraham Lincoln." She was often seen carrying the book wherever she went. Marilyn certainly had a thing for presidents...". I doubt she was carrying the full six-volume, Sandburg collection around with her, so I can only assume she was carrying around the copy I now have.Cheers, marilynbybrandon_190.gif Thanks for the welcome. Nice to be around people I can talk to about Marilyn. The answer to your first question is, Not a mark! Nothing at all but then again she wasn't known for writing in her books. Yes, she was notorious for margin notes in movie scripts and crossing off photograph negatives that she didn't want published with a marker or pin but not in her books.The answer to your 2nd question, "What shape were the books in?" was pretty good. I did have to have the Abe Lincoln bio rebound because the spine was weak and dried out, but overall they were in very good shape. (see attached). Cheers Oz,

Thanks Phil - you are one very lucky guy!
Margherita
Those books are great treasures ! - I can also really understand that Marilyn identified with Grushenka. Personally, I have not read the book but there was a russian film or a mini-tv serie, also russian, on finnish tv, the brothers Karamazov and the blonde woman who played the part was lovely. I don't remember her name but she had some similarity to Marilyn around Marilyn about 1960 - The Misfits - and she resembled Maria Schell although I don't know whether it was her.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.