Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Johnny Florea's Marilyn
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Jim Parson
I have some exciting news to share with everyone and need to request the help of the ES membership, as well. Last week, I entered into an agreement with the Estate of John Florea to produce and publish a new book of John Florea's photographs of Marilyn. I'm very excited about the opportunity, not only to write the book but to finally be able to see a book of their work together!

But there's a problem. Since Johnny's death in September 2000, his estate has sold off all of his photographs and negatives. It still holds most of the copyrights, for which I now hold a license, but without photographs, it's a little difficult to produce a photo book! So I'm asking you to be a part of the book.

I need to find all of his photos in a quality high enough to work for the book. I have about 250 of his photos (some of which I don't think you've seen before!), but only about 75 are original negatives or high enough quality scans to be able to publish. This is where I need your help. I'm looking for any of you who might have original Florea prints or large size, high quality scans. I will gladly pay to have a professional scan made of your print plus some extra for your time and effort, if you would be willing to take it to a photo lab for me. In return, I will include you in the book as the contributor of the photo. I've already gone through the Florea thread, so no need to direct me to postings there.

I intend to include a section on Florea's magazine covers and articles that feature his photos of Marilyn. If you have any of those in really strong condition, I would be willing to pay to have those professionally scanned, as well.

If you think you have something that will work and would like to be a recognized contributor to the book, please message me here, or you can email me at nightxposed@hotmail.com. Don't rush out to have scans made though until we've talked! I'd hate for anyone to go to the trouble if I already have the print!

Thank you so much for your consideration! With your help, we can make this a really fabulous book for Marilyn fans everywhere!
flowing stream
QUOTE(Jim Parson @ Jul 30 2013, 02:40 PM) *
I have some exciting news to share with everyone and need to request the help of the ES membership, as well. Last week, I entered into an agreement with the Estate of John Florea to produce and publish a new book of John Florea's photographs of Marilyn. I'm very excited about the opportunity, not only to write the book but to finally be able to see a book of their work together!

But there's a problem. Since Johnny's death in September 2000, his estate has sold off all of his photographs and negatives. It still holds most of the copyrights, for which I now hold a license, but without photographs, it's a little difficult to produce a photo book! So I'm asking you to be a part of the book.

I need to find all of his photos in a quality high enough to work for the book. I have about 250 of his photos (some of which I don't think you've seen before!), but only about 75 are original negatives or high enough quality scans to be able to publish. This is where I need your help. I'm looking for any of you who might have original Florea prints or large size, high quality scans. I will gladly pay to have a professional scan made of your print plus some extra for your time and effort, if you would be willing to take it to a photo lab for me. In return, I will include you in the book as the contributor of the photo. I've already gone through the Florea thread, so no need to direct me to postings there.

I intend to include a section on Florea's magazine covers and articles that feature his photos of Marilyn. If you have any of those in really strong condition, I would be willing to pay to have those professionally scanned, as well.

If you think you have something that will work and would like to be a recognized contributor to the book, please message me here, or you can email me at nightxposed@hotmail.com. Don't rush out to have scans made though until we've talked! I'd hate for anyone to go to the trouble if I already have the print!

Thank you so much for your consideration! With your help, we can make this a really fabulous book for Marilyn fans everywhere!

OMG!!!! This is going to be fantastic!!! Great news!!! Well done!!!! I will see what I can do to help...

When do you think it might be published? smile1.gif
Jim Parson
QUOTE(flowing stream @ Jul 29 2013, 07:48 PM) *
When do you think it might be published? smile1.gif

Thank you so much, Livia! I have to round up all the photos first and I have some interviews to conduct with Florea's family over the next couple of weeks, but I hope to have it ready for the publishers to fight over in three or four months!
flowing stream
QUOTE(Jim Parson @ Jul 30 2013, 03:04 PM) *
Thank you so much, Livia! I have to round up all the photos first and I have some interviews to conduct with Florea's family over the next couple of weeks, but I hope to have it ready for the publishers to fight over in three or four months!

Great! Thanks so much for all if this. Fans such as myself are eternally grateful!!! What a unique experience! Do you think the book will be out by early next year?
Many many thanks for providing this pleasure for all of us and sharing t with us!!! jumpymm.gif jumpymm.gif
Jim Parson
QUOTE(flowing stream @ Jul 29 2013, 11:47 PM) *
Do you think the book will be out by early next year?
It would be great if it could be out in time for Christmas, but I don't think publishers work quite that fast. If it doesn't make it, it won't be my fault! It's possible I could have it finished within the next 6 weeks, but it is more likely it will take 3-4 months to complete. A lot of it will depend on how quickly I can get all the photographs I need. It's exciting that approximately 75 of the photos (so far) come directly from Florea's original negatives! Thank you so much for your support of this project, Livia. Your reaction is exactly what I was hoping for from the Marilyn community.
Jim Parson
Just wanted to thank ES member, Candle, for providing me with a FABULOUS original negative of one of Florea's photographs. Thank you so much!
flowing stream
QUOTE(Jim Parson @ Jul 31 2013, 01:14 AM) *
It would be great if it could be out in time for Christmas, but I don't think publishers work quite that fast. If it doesn't make it, it won't be my fault! It's possible I could have it finished within the next 6 weeks, but it is more likely it will take 3-4 months to complete. A lot of it will depend on how quickly I can get all the photographs I need. It's exciting that approximately 75 of the photos (so far) come directly from Florea's original negatives! Thank you so much for your support of this project, Livia. Your reaction is exactly what I was hoping for from the Marilyn community.

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for all the fascinating info! Just take your time and it will all happen sooner or later. So looking at next year for sure! Good luck with this project! It is fabulous to say the least! smile1.gif
mberton
QUOTE(Jim Parson @ Jul 30 2013, 02:14 PM) *

Knowing the publishing industry, it would be a miracle for you to get this out in time for Christmas - costings, research, writing, editing, layout, proofreading, printing, marketing all comes before the book hits the shops! I'd say the publisher would aim for mid next year - Mother's Day / Marilyn's birthday etc.
flowing stream
QUOTE(mberton @ Jul 31 2013, 10:12 AM) *
Knowing the publishing industry, it would be a miracle for you to get this out in time for Christmas - costings, research, writing, editing, layout, proofreading, printing, marketing all comes before the book hits the shops! I'd say the publisher would aim for mid next year - Mother's Day / Marilyn's birthday etc.

Yes that makes sense! smile1.gif
indikurz
is fantastic news! I'm soooo jealous of you for having those photos in your hands! I will wait anxiously the book.
It is a shame that so much material was sold and we can not enjoy all of it in a book like "Bert Stern's the complete last sitting". But to know about your book and your effort to recover all the photos you can, is exciting.
As a special request I would like to see in the book all possible photos of "gentlemen prefer blondes" and "how to marry a millionaire" or of that time tongue.gif and of course, if they are never seen before...
I do not have rare pictures of John Florea to contribute, the only thing I can offer is if you want an artistic cover with a paint of florea's Marilyn portrait, I could make it.
My best wishes for your proyect, I'm going to buy my copy.
Jim Parson
QUOTE(mberton @ Jul 30 2013, 03:12 PM) *
Yes, from my previous experience, this is all true. But one can hope! In any case, I'll get it written as efficiently as I can. And thanks for your offer to help, M!
QUOTE(indikurz @ Jul 31 2013, 04:42 AM) *
I do not have rare pictures of John Florea to contribute, the only thing I can offer is if you want an artistic cover with a paint of florea's Marilyn portrait, I could make it.
Thanks, Inigo! I have a pretty good idea what I want to do with the cover, but I'm always up for considering other alternatives. Do you have some samples of your work I could look at?
Candle
QUOTE(Jim Parson @ Jul 31 2013, 04:42 AM) *
Just wanted to thank ES member, Candle, for providing me with a FABULOUS original negative of one of Florea's photographs. Thank you so much!

You're welcome Jim! bye1.gif

This book is going to be a treasure for all us fans to look forward to. Thank you for creating it!
Jim Parson
QUOTE(Candle @ Jul 31 2013, 06:24 PM) *
You're welcome Jim! bye1.gif This book is going to be a treasure for all us fans to look forward to. Thank you for creating it!

smile1.gif
lois_laurel
I can't wait to see this book clapping.gif . I hope the book will be on sale in Europe too.
ronaldo
Great news! I can't help in any way but will buy the book for sure! Can't wait!
Jim Parson
QUOTE(wyoming68 @ Aug 1 2013, 10:55 AM) *
I can't wait to see this book clapping.gif . I hope the book will be on sale in Europe too.
Thanks, Maarit! I've executed a Rental and Leasing Agreement required for European sales with the Estate. If the publisher doesn't want to put it out there, I'll find a publisher that will!
QUOTE(ronaldo @ Aug 1 2013, 12:50 PM) *
Great news! I can't help in any way but will buy the book for sure! Can't wait!
Thank you, Ronaldo!
Paju
Unfortunately I don't think I have anything that will help you with your book, but I wanted to say thank you and good luck! Writing a book is exciting work, and Florea's photos are very interesting. Good to hear you have some we haven't seen before! Sounds like you're taking the work seriously (but enjoying it at the same time) and I'm sure the book will be gorgeous smile1.gif
indikurz
QUOTE(Jim Parson @ Jul 31 2013, 10:17 PM) *
Inigo! I have a pretty good idea what I want to do with the cover, but I'm always up for considering other alternatives. Do you have some samples of your work I could look at?

Of course, I'll send you a message with it. I have to make some scans, and tomorrow I'll send them.
Jim Parson
QUOTE(Paju @ Aug 2 2013, 01:16 AM) *
Unfortunately I don't think I have anything that will help you with your book, but I wanted to say thank you and good luck! Writing a book is exciting work, and Florea's photos are very interesting. Good to hear you have some we haven't seen before! Sounds like you're taking the work seriously (but enjoying it at the same time) and I'm sure the book will be gorgeous smile1.gif
Thank you so much, Paju! It is indeed exciting!
QUOTE(indikurz @ Aug 2 2013, 06:30 AM) *
Of course, I'll send you a message with it. I have to make some scans, and tomorrow I'll send them.
I'll look forward to seeing them, Inigo.
Jim Parson
For those of you who use Facebook, I've started a new page for the book. Updates to its progress will be posted there, as well as here. I hope you'll like and support it. https://www.facebook.com/johnnyfloreasmarilyn

I'm still desperately seeking higher quality scans of Florea images!
Jim Parson
Just wanted to give an update for those of you who have been following the book's progress. Last week, I completed several days of interviews with Florea's youngest daughter in Hawaii. It was a fabulous experience. She is a delightful woman and provided me with great details and several images I needed. This weekend, I'll be traveling to Las Vegas to interview his elder daughter, who is a very interesting woman in her own right. She worked for Mattel and was the first voice of Barbie and has written a book about her experiences with that. As a child living in Japan after World War II, she attended school with both General MacArthur's son and Emperor Hirohito's son. She was a teenager during the time of Florea's many shoots with Marilyn and will have better memories of those days. I'm looking forward to spending a couple of days with her! Also on the list for forthcoming interviews are Florea's widow and one of his ex-wives (whom he married twice).

I'm hoping to get into 20th Century-Fox in the next couple of weeks to see if there is anything in their archives that could be useful. If anyone has a contact there who can help get me in the door, it would be greatly appreciated!
CYRILPARIS
QUOTE(Jim Parson @ Aug 28 2013, 04:09 PM) *
Just wanted to give an update for those of you who have been following the book's progress. Last week, I completed several days of interviews with Florea's youngest daughter in Hawaii. It was a fabulous experience. She is a delightful woman and provided me with great details and several images I needed. This weekend, I'll be traveling to Las Vegas to interview his elder daughter, who is a very interesting woman in her own right. She worked for Mattel and was the first voice of Barbie and has written a book about her experiences with that. As a child living in Japan after World War II, she attended school with both General MacArthur's son and Emperor Hirohito's son. She was a teenager during the time of Florea's many shoots with Marilyn and will have better memories of those days. I'm looking forward to spending a couple of days with her! Also on the list for forthcoming interviews are Florea's widow and one of his ex-wives (whom he married twice).

I'm hoping to get into 20th Century-Fox in the next couple of weeks to see if there is anything in their archives that could be useful. If anyone has a contact there who can help get me in the door, it would be greatly appreciated!

banana.gif
Great job!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful!!!
clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif
Jim Parson
QUOTE(CYRILPARIS @ Aug 28 2013, 12:55 PM) *
banana.gif
Great job!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful!!!
clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif

Thanks, Eric!
Considerate
Click to view attachment

I have no doubt your book on Johnny Florea + Marilyn will be stunning, and i'm eager to buy a copy.
....this magnificent reproduction you made available from your 'auction-won' original regularly stops visitors in their tracks.

Thanks again Jim.
Jim Parson
QUOTE(Considerate @ Aug 30 2013, 09:16 AM) *
....this magnificent reproduction you made available from your 'auction-won' original regularly stops visitors in their tracks.

Hi Grant! I didn't realize this was you! I'm so glad you're happy with the print and I hope your book collecting is going well. That print is the reason I'm doing this book! If I hadn't won that auction, I never would have contacted Florea's estate to get their permission to reproduce it and we never would have had the conversation about producing a book!
MarilynIloveU
Do you need a proof reader? I'm looking for a project. I've proof read before for an indie publisher, one of the books I worked on is Blood Rose by Jacquelynn Gange.
Jim Parson
QUOTE(MarilynIloveU @ Aug 31 2013, 03:40 AM) *
Do you need a proof reader? I'm looking for a project. I've proof read before for an indie publisher, one of the books I worked on is Blood Rose by Jacquelynn Gange.

Thank you so much, but I'm in good shape. I have a copywriter friend who is proofing for me and the publisher will assign an editor to it as well. I appreciate the offer though.
Jim Parson
QUOTE(Considerate @ Aug 30 2013, 09:16 AM) *
I have no doubt your book on Johnny Florea + Marilyn will be stunning, and i'm eager to buy a copy.

Thanks again Jim.

Grant, I hope you'll post a picture of your bookshelf when you get it complete. That will be a wonderful accomplishment!
Considerate
QUOTE(Jim Parson @ Sep 6 2013, 10:13 AM) *
Grant, I hope you'll post a picture of your bookshelf when you get it complete. That will be a wonderful accomplishment!

Yes, i will.

http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/ind...st&p=223448

Jim... i have been a little sidetracked.. :-) I collected several documents etc. of M.M's friends esp. Skolsky/Rosten/S.Strasberg/L.Strasberg/Miracle/etc.... since then.....
.......this 'paralleled in time' bookshelf is developing much of its own accord..
Marilyn read some very good books!

Warm Regards,
Grant.
Jim Parson
QUOTE(Considerate @ Sep 6 2013, 08:11 AM) *

Thank you so much for the link directing me to your story. I enjoyed reading it very much and am pleased I was able to play my small part in it. Just think, if you'd found the ES lists first, you wouldn't have had to spend the money on the photograph...ha ha! Good luck on your continued search.
Jim Parson
Just wanted to share this with everyone. A couple of days ago, I was very pleased to finally locate the home where these photos were shot, after a month of searching.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

The owners of the home were extremely gracious and accommodating and thanks to them, I now have many incredible details about the home and pool where Marilyn and Johnny Florea did more than one shoot. There's just something amazing and moving about standing in the exact spot where she once stood.

Click to view attachment
Considerate
Thanks Jim. The third (overlayed) image is so (friggin') superb...
"There's just something amazing and moving about standing in the exact spot where she once stood"
Unlike other spaces M.M has co-occupied (places like Graumans etc.),this is a far more intimate space and so i can appreciate the personal impact this would have had.

No doubt .... another unexpected reward derived through your Authorship?

____________________________________Your post ... much appreciated_____________________________________ smile1.gif _______________________________
Jim Parson
Thank you, Grant! It was a really moving experience. I just wish the house had still been there. It has a really amazing history besides Marilyn being there on more than one occasion. I'm in contact with the man who had it torn down and hope to get pictures of it as it was before he took it down to build the home that stands there now. He is equally as famous as the current owner and I'm hoping he'll allow me to use his name in the book, as well.
Paju
So did I understand correctly: the actual house isn't there anymore but the pool area is the same? Anyways, you're very lucky!
Also if it's not too much to ask, could you give me the address? Just so I can check it out on Google Maps. If you don't want to post it here, maybe in a private message?
Jim Parson
QUOTE(Paju @ Oct 13 2013, 02:58 AM) *
So did I understand correctly: the actual house isn't there anymore but the pool area is the same? Anyways, you're very lucky!
Also if it's not too much to ask, could you give me the address? Just so I can check it out on Google Maps. If you don't want to post it here, maybe in a private message?

Yes, Sirkku, sadly, the previous owner tore down the house, but the pool is still as it was. It's an incredible one-of-a-kind pool, which will surprise you when you see it in the book. There have been several magazine features on it and it's been used for several photo shoots with stars. I was very proud of myself for being able to track it down. Unfortunately, in research, for every success there are ten failures!

(Sorry about the address. I made a promise to the owner and I try to always be a man of my word.)
Paju
The pool area sounds wonderful! If places could talk... And I know what you mean when you say there are always ten failures to every success when doing research.
I totally understand about the address, no problem, I just thought I might ask smile1.gif
Jim Parson
Been busy and haven't been here for awhile, so I thought I'd stop by and give a little teaser from the book. This image is from a 1955 Movie Life magazine and is one of my favorite Florea shots, right up there with the bearskin rug images. The restoration came out so beautiful, I just had to share it. It's even more perfect when it's not compressed into a jpeg. I think this would look pretty great blown up full size and hanging on my wall. In any case, it looks great in the book!
flowing stream
QUOTE(Jim Parson @ May 16 2014, 01:43 PM) *
Been busy and haven't been here for awhile, so I thought I'd stop by and give a little teaser from the book. This image is from a 1955 Movie Life magazine and is one of my favorite Florea shots, right up there with the bearskin rug images. The restoration came out so beautiful, I just had to share it. It's even more perfect when it's not compressed into a jpeg. I think this would look pretty great blown up full size and hanging on my wall. In any case, it looks great in the book!

Fantastic Jim! Thank you! How is the book coming along? Any updates on the publication date? Eagerly awaiting the wonderful result! smile1.gif
Jim Parson
QUOTE(flowing stream @ May 15 2014, 07:53 PM) *
Fantastic Jim! Thank you! How is the book coming along? Any updates on the publication date? Eagerly awaiting the wonderful result! smile1.gif

Thanks, Livia! I've tracked down all of the images now (I'm pretty sure) and I've finished the text. I'm just waiting for the last of the images to be restored. In the meantime, I've started searching for a publisher.
flowing stream
QUOTE(Jim Parson @ May 17 2014, 04:22 AM) *
Thanks, Livia! I've tracked down all of the images now (I'm pretty sure) and I've finished the text. I'm just waiting for the last of the images to be restored. In the meantime, I've started searching for a publisher.

Dear Jim, Sounds wonderful! It looks like you are in the final stages of the project. Did you have any luck with that transparency I sent you the image of? Can't wait for the book. Let me know once it is ready! Talk soon.
Jim Parson
QUOTE(flowing stream @ May 16 2014, 04:37 PM) *
Dear Jim, Sounds wonderful! It looks like you are in the final stages of the project. Did you have any luck with that transparency I sent you the image of? Can't wait for the book. Let me know once it is ready! Talk soon.

I was hoping it wouldn't sell at that price so I'd be in a better position to negotiate with the seller, but it did sell. I was able to talk him out of a high resolution scan of it though, which I seriously overpaid for, but at least I have it for the book now. Thank you so much for pointing it out to me! You're just the best!
flowing stream
QUOTE(Jim Parson @ May 18 2014, 03:51 AM) *
I was hoping it wouldn't sell at that price so I'd be in a better position to negotiate with the seller, but it did sell. I was able to talk him out of a high resolution scan of it though, which I seriously overpaid for, but at least I have it for the book now. Thank you so much for pointing it out to me! You're just the best!

Dear Jim, that is fantastic! Wow, great. I am so happy to have been able to help out or at least contribute to your project. When I saw it It occurred to me to ask you if you had the variation of that pose/session. Triple yay! Thanks for letting me know as always. Talk soon!
indikurz
QUOTE(Jim Parson @ May 16 2014, 03:43 AM) *

I'm happy to read you're doing a great work searching to find all this fantastic material. I can't wait for the book.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.