Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Confusion Regarding Travel For Bus Stop
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Picture Investigation
Jim Parson
I need help sorting out my confusion and some conflicting information I've found on here. My understanding is, Marilyn flew from New York to Los Angeles on February 25, 1956 and upon arrival at LAX, conducted an interview with Milton Greene present at the airport. The first picture below is from that interview (right?). Then, I show pictures of her arriving in Phoenix on March 15, 1956, in a different outfit, represented by the 2nd photo. Now, I've read other postings on here that seem to contradict this. It's been posted that Haspiel and the Monroe 6 met her at LAX and took the pictures departing the plane in the outfit she's wearing in the 2nd photo. Haspiel and members of the 6 can be plainly seen in the 2nd photo. That means, either I have them mixed up, or Marilyn changed clothes after arrival at LAX and before the press conference, or Haspiel and the Monroe 6 were in Phoenix when she arrived there in March. Can anyone help me sort this out?
zelda
The Pics are quite the same day.
The second one was taken at NY, while she was about to leave to LA; sure Haspiel and the Monroe Six were there!
The first one was the interview at the airport, in LA, same day, Fébr.25, 1956.
The Phoenix's ones were later that month, while she was wearing the same dress.
But the pics are different.
Hope it helps.
Christelle/webmaster cursumperficio.net
Jim Parson
Thank you for your response, Christelle, but I'm still confused. These are two different ensembles she is wearing. If the second picture was taken in New York as she was leaving for Los Angeles (which would explain the presence of the Monroe 6), she must have changed her clothes on the plane before arriving in LA, because this photo shows her arrival at night in Los Angeles wearing the same outfit she wore in the press conference at LAX. Changing her clothes on the plane could be the only possible explanation then. Right?
zelda
Yes I do understand.
But while the pic with the Monroe Six was for sure taken in NY, Milton Greene accompanying her (he can be seen on some pics) and the other one at LA, the only explanation is she changed her clothes during the flight. Which is very possible.
BUT as you look carefully, Milton Greene who was also there, changed his clothes TOO??? He isn't wearing the same outfit.
The thing that is strange is that in NY she wore earrings (she had later for the flight to Phoenix) but no more arriving in LA?
Sounds very strange...There must be another explanation. Which for the moment I have no idea...
Christelle
Jim Parson
QUOTE(zelda @ Apr 4 2012, 09:59 AM) *
Yes I do understand.
But while the pic with the Monroe Six was for sure taken in NY, Milton Greene accompanying her (he can be seen on some pics) and the other one at LA, the only explanation is she changed her clothes during the flight. Which is very possible.
BUT as you look carefully, Milton Greene who was also there, changed his clothes TOO??? He isn't wearing the same outfit.
The thing that is strange is that in NY she wore earrings (she had later for the flight to Phoenix) but no more arriving in LA?
Sounds very strange...There must be another explanation. Which for the moment I have no idea...
Christelle

Thanks again, Christelle! Perhaps someone here can solve the mystery for us! It's making me crazy!
Jim
CYRILPARIS
QUOTE(nightxposed @ Apr 4 2012, 01:42 AM) *
Thank you for your response, Christelle, but I'm still confused. These are two different ensembles she is wearing. If the second picture was taken in New York as she was leaving for Los Angeles (which would explain the presence of the Monroe 6), she must have changed her clothes on the plane before arriving in LA, because this photo shows her arrival at night in Los Angeles wearing the same outfit she wore in the press conference at LAX. Changing her clothes on the plane could be the only possible explanation then. Right?
Click to view attachment

For me, it's the arrival in LA. She changed certainly her clothes in the plane.
Jim Parson
I'm going to accept that Marilyn left Idlewild wearing this outfit...

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

...based on the presence of the Monroe 6 and the large contingency of members on this site whose opinion I trust that support that. I'm also going to support that both Marilyn and Milton changed their clothes on the airplane so they looked like this when they arrived that night at LAX and held the press conference in the terminal.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

But what's throwing me is this photo..

Click to view attachment

She left Idlewild in that outfit, but changed her clothes on the plane, then how can she be on the stairs, in California (based on the California flag shown) in the outfit she left in? Did she step out for a picture, then go back into the plane and change? Or is this picture from a different night landing (or departure) where she is wearing the exact ensemble by coincidence?

SOMEONE HELP!!!! Please, before I lose my mind! Oh wait, it's too late...it's lost.

Jim
CYRILPARIS
QUOTE(nightxposed @ Apr 10 2012, 07:41 PM) *
But what's throwing me is this photo..
Click to view attachment

She left Idlewild in that outfit, but changed her clothes on the plane, then how can she be on the stairs, in California (based on the California flag shown) in the outfit she left in? Did she step out for a picture, then go back into the plane and change? Or is this picture from a different night landing (or departure) where she is wearing the exact ensemble by coincidence?
SOMEONE HELP!!!! Please, before I lose my mind! Oh wait, it's too late...it's lost.
Jim

May be 1st or 2nd June 1956 but I don't know between the departure LA pictures and arrival NY pictures? unsure.gif coolio.gif

LA departure or NY arrival? I think it's NY arrival, her hair is flatter and a little fat
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

LA departure or NY arrival? I think it's LA departure, her hair is more puffy, ruffled
Click to view attachment

Dark ? The night? Departure LA or arrival NY?
The first: NY arrival for her birthday cake 2nd June, her hair is flatter and a little fat
Click to view attachment

The next both: LA departure, her hair is more puffy, ruffled and it's the same young girl

Sunlight airport reflected on the rear window car or it's a day? NY arrival 2nd June
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Jim Parson
Thanks, Eric! I hadn't considered that it might be from her return trip after the filming of Bus Stop. But it makes sense. The only thing we don't know is whether she took a night flight from LAX and arrived in NY the next morning, or if she arrived in NY after dark. I suspect it will always be a mystery! But at least it resolves my issues with the flights to LA and Phoenix to begin filming.
zelda
What is pretty sure is that pic below was in NY, while the woman who is reflected in the windows is Lois Weber, who was MM's PR. She worked for the Arthur Jacobs Agency, along with John Springer in NY.
Christelle
Joan Newman
bye1.gif

Marilyn leaving her Sutton Place apartment in New York accompanied by Milton Greene to fly to Phoenix to film Bus Stop,1956.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.