Amazon US
Monroestar
Oh I am happy about this! X
Tara
Cover pic...
CYRILPARIS
QUOTE(Tara @ Mar 4 2012, 05:54 PM) *
Cover pic...

Beautiful cover, I hope we'll find unseen pictures...
Tara
There will be a deluxe, limited edition (and very expensive) version of this book from Taschen...

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Lawrence-S...ldescription-20

Full description for Lawrence Schiller, Marilyn & Me: A Memoir in Words and Pictures

"You're already famous, now you're going to make me famous," photographer Lawrence Schiller said to Marilyn Monroe as they discussed the photos he was about to shoot of her. "Don't be so cocky," Marilyn teased, "photographers can be easily replaced." The year was 1962, and Schiller, 24, was on assignment for Paris Match. He knew Marilyn already - they had formed a bond two years earlier when they met on the set of "Let's Make Love" - but nothing could have prepared him for the day she agreed to appear in the nude for his camera during the swimming pool scene in "Something's Got to Give". Her chronic lateness and absence soon got her fired from the film, but the worldwide publicity the photographs garnered - her first nudes since the calendar she posed for as a young starlet - guaranteed she would be hired back. But this victory was truly a pyrrhic one: two weeks later, she was dead. "Marilyn & Me" is an intimate tale of a legend before her fall and a young photographer on his way to the top. Via words and pictures, Schiller takes us back to that time, and to the surprising connection that allowed a star of her stature to open up to a kid from Brooklyn with a lot of ambition but very little experience. Onset, backstage, in her dressing room, at her house, in her car, they made pictures, made deals, and talked and talked, quite intimately at times. When Schiller asked her if she always wanted to be Marilyn Monroe, she answered candidly, "I never wanted to be her - it just happened. Marilyn's like a veil I wear over Norma Jeane." Fifty years later, TASCHEN releases this limited Collector's edition of Lawrence Schiller's "Marilyn & Me", signed by the photographer and individually numbered. A unique addition to the lore of Marilyn Monroe, Schiller's is a story that has never been told before, and he tells it with tact, humor, and compassion. It is a story brought to life by the photographs he took - from those headline-grabbing nudes to the almost surreal pictures from the day of her funeral, the tragedy of her death hanging heavy in every frame. And if Schiller isn't already famous from his work as a photographer, director, producer, and writer, this book will surely change that.
Tara
Boxed, numbered edition on Taschen's Italian website

http://www.logosedizioni.it/taschen.php?bid=4234

Schiller website

http://www.marilyn12.com/
Tara
It's not confirmed, but I've heard that the cheaper version of this book has no photos, just text. I hope that's not true because I certainly can't afford the boxed edition... unsure.gif
Paju
I hope it's not true, because I won't buy the expensive version and I don't think I'll buy the cheaper version either if it has no photos.
Tara
QUOTE(Paju @ Mar 16 2012, 03:57 PM) *
I hope it's not true, because I won't buy the expensive version and I don't think I'll buy the cheaper version either if it has no photos.

I agree Paju. It makes no sense to me to have a photographer's book without pictures. Great if you can afford the deluxe version, but I'm getting rather fed up with this kind of publication that is just not viable for most of us. Anyway, if I get any further details I'll post them here.
CYRILPARIS
It's like the Norman Mailer / Bert Stern: Marilyn Monroe book
http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/?showtopic=16675
but Taschen always publish a more approachable version a few years later... so let's hope!
CYRILPARIS
Another cover
Tara
QUOTE(CYRILPARIS @ Mar 22 2012, 04:04 PM) *
Another cover

That's a much better photo, thanks Eric! Hope they use that one... smile1.gif
Monroestar
QUOTE(Tara @ Mar 16 2012, 12:25 PM) *
It's not confirmed, but I've heard that the cheaper version of this book has no photos, just text. I hope that's not true because I certainly can't afford the boxed edition... unsure.gif

Well thats just silly isn't it? X
babyd
Yeah I cancelled my preorder on amazon as I noticed it said it was only 128 pages and had only 18 photos, seems a bit sad really, but with so many new books coming out I will wait to see what others think when it comes out
Tara
QUOTE(babyd @ Apr 1 2012, 10:11 PM) *
Yeah I cancelled my preorder on amazon as I noticed it said it was only 128 pages and had only 18 photos, seems a bit sad really, but with so many new books coming out I will wait to see what others think when it comes out

Only 18 photos? Thank you for letting us know. I'm thinking of cancelling my pre-order but I'm not sure yet. Like Eric says, maybe Taschen will bring out a cheaper photo book later as they did with De Dienes. It's probably worth waiting out as so far, I think this is all a bit unfair to the average fan...
babyd
QUOTE(Tara @ Apr 2 2012, 09:24 AM) *
Only 18 photos? Thank you for letting us know. I'm thinking of cancelling my pre-order but I'm not sure yet. Like Eric says, maybe Taschen will bring out a cheaper photo book later as they did with De Dienes. It's probably worth waiting out as so far, I think this is all a bit unfair to the average fan...

Yeah I was shocked by that myself, it was only added to the description on amazon uk last week. As soon as I saw it I cancelled. I just think with all the books coming out this year there will be better ones than this one now. It is a shame that this large expensive version seems to becoming more common with Marilyn photo books, just glad I've been collecting so long I have a decent collection already, for someone starting out it is not a nice book market recently with greed making some Marilyn books unreachable for most of us.
Tara
I decided to cancel my pre-order for the time being, and on the very same day I found a bargain used copy of Stern's Complete Last Sitting in a charity shop! So it's always worth waiting for good things to come your way...
babyd
QUOTE(Tara @ Apr 4 2012, 10:12 AM) *
I decided to cancel my pre-order for the time being, and on the very same day I found a bargain used copy of Stern's Complete Last Sitting in a charity shop! So it's always worth waiting for good things to come your way...

That is an awesome book Tara, one of my favourite ones.
Tara
Thanks Eric!
CYRILPARIS
I hope we shall see the contact sheet pictures in larger...
chris
Je viens de recevoir, on va dire, la version publique du livre de Lawrence Schiller.
C'est vraiment prendre les fans pour des débiles ! !
Le livre est d'un format minuscule 20x15cm avec je les ai comptées 18 photos + celle de la cover reprise dans le livre.3 photos en comptant celle de la couverture sont du "Milliardaire", 11 de SGTG, 1 de SGTG cover du Life avec la toque, une du photographe lui même je ne sais où, une des reporters devant le 12 305 Fifth Helena Drive au matin du 5 août 1962 et la dernière celle de Joe et de son fils suivant le corbillard.

Les photos présentées sont toutes hyper connues exceptées (mais elles le sont depuis quelques temps) celles de la couverture et les deux du Milliardaire avec le portrait très touchant de Marilyn et Montand. La qualité d'impression est granuleuse. Les pages du livre ont été découpées avec un massicot mal taillé.Nous avons droit à 114 pages au lieu des 198 de la version luxe. Vous l'avez compris, les pages manquantes sont les pages photos.

Bref une catastrophe!!!

Je suppose qu'il a sera différemment avec la version luxe que seuls certains priviligés peuvent se payer.
C'est honteux et je n'ai aucune honte à le dire.

I have just received, let's say, the public version of the book published by Lawrence Schiller.
It's really taking the fans for idiots! !
The book is a tiny size 20x15cm with I counted them, 18 photographs + picture of the front cover. On the book, 3 pictures from the "Let's Make Love", 11 from SGTG, another one from SGTG which was on Life's cover, another one of a photographer himself (I do not know where), one of the reporters in front of the hacienda of 12 305 Fifth Helena Drive on the morning of August 5, 1962 and the last one that of Joe and his son following the hearse.

The photographs are all known excepted (but they are known since some days) those of the cover and the one from "Let's Make Love" with a very touching portrait of Marilyn and Montand. The print quality is grainy. The pages were cut with a cutter. One have 114 pages instead of 198 of the deluxe version. You understood, the pages are missing are the picture pages.

In short, a disaster!

I guess he will be different with the deluxe version that only certain priviliges can afford.
It is shameful and I am not ashamed to say.
Chris
Shirley
Chris, thanks for your review - it's sad that the book doesn't live up to our expectations :( And have you seen how much the collector's edition costs? 650 euros!!!!
ronaldo
Omg, 650 Euros? Who on earth has money like that in these times??
Paju
650 euros for a book is simply outrageous.
Fav
QUOTE(Paju @ Jun 5 2012, 04:21 PM) *
650 euros for a book is simply outrageous.

Maybe he needs it for his retirement fund! Funnily enough its still in stock if someone wants to buy one. I'm sure it will probably sell out but if we don't have any takers from a Marilyn board like this then it may take a while.

CYRILPARIS
It is the policy of Taschen for years to publish luxury editions (De Dienes, Some Like it Hot, Bert Stern in 2011 and now with Lawrence Schiller) but they published the following year a less luxurious but with the same content in affordable price for everyone!
Tara
I was loaned a copy by Taschen last week. Here is my review...

http://tarahanks.com/2012/06/21/marilyn-me...nd-photographs/
ronaldo
Thanks so much Tara! Interesting read.
Mezzo
Thank you, Tara. The book is out of my price range.
ronaldo
Thanks Tara!
Well I read the small book and it strikes me how much he talks about making deals and making good money with the Marilyn pics. As if all she was to him was a downpayment to his house and not the amazingly beautiful actress that he captured in his pics.
suusmarie
QUOTE(chris @ May 25 2012, 12:15 PM) *
I have just received, let's say, the public version of the book published by Lawrence Schiller.
It's really taking the fans for idiots! !
The book is a tiny size 20x15cm with I counted them, 18 photographs + picture of the front cover. On the book, 3 pictures from the "Let's Make Love", 11 from SGTG, another one from SGTG which was on Life's cover, another one of a photographer himself (I do not know where), one of the reporters in front of the hacienda of 12 305 Fifth Helena Drive on the morning of August 5, 1962 and the last one that of Joe and his son following the hearse.
The photographs are all known excepted (but they are known since some days) those of the cover and the one from "Let's Make Love" with a very touching portrait of Marilyn and Montand. The print quality is grainy. The pages were cut with a cutter. One have 114 pages instead of 198 of the deluxe version. You understood, the pages are missing are the picture pages.
In short, a disaster!
I guess he will be different with the deluxe version that only certain priviliges can afford.
It is shameful and I am not ashamed to say.
Chris

Well I just received the book also and must agree with Chris here, it is not an impressive book to say the least rolleyes1.gif .
I am glad I got my hands on a cheap signed version otherwise it would have been a total waste...
Monroestar
I got the book and have t say I enjoyed it. Its a short story but I do like it. You got to remember he was young though and also it was business to him as well as being the photographer. I think its a nice little book but they could have added more photos to the small book.

How did you get a cheap signed copy Suus?

I do feel the binding is a bit weird though - anyone else think the same? X
suusmarie
QUOTE(Monroestar @ Aug 12 2012, 12:30 PM) *
How did you get a cheap signed copy Suus?

Ebay USA, I have bought great stuff there throb.gif
Monroestar
QUOTE(suusmarie @ Aug 13 2012, 12:54 AM) *
Ebay USA, I have bought great stuff there throb.gif

Ooohh... noted..... Hi BTW X bye1.gif
Joan Newman
The Leonard Lopate Show
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/2012/aug/...marilyn-monroe/

Elliott Forrest fills as guest host. He’ll speak with David Wessel about the federal budget as the United States approaches the so-called fiscal cliff.
Photographer Lawrence Schiller tells us about his relationship with Marilyn Monroe.
chris
Does anyone get some news about the next publication of this book by Taschen ?
blondealways
Finally got mine from Taschen!!!! Over the Moon about it! It is 1,753 out of 1,962! So Happy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.