Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marilyn In Fashion
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Tara
You might recognise George Zeno's name, he supplied the photos for James Spada's book, Monroe: A Life in Pictures.

(Isn't the cover gorgeous, looking forward to this one...)

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Marilyn-Fa...s/9780762443321

Full bibliographic data for Marilyn in Fashion

Title
Marilyn in Fashion
Subtitle
The Enduring Influence of Marilyn Monroe
Authors and contributors
By (author) Christopher Nickens, By (author) George Zeno
Physical properties
Format: Paperback
Number of pages: 224
Audience
General/trade
ISBN
ISBN 13: 9780762443321
ISBN 10: 0762443324
Publisher
Running Press
Imprint name
Running Press,U.S.
Publication date
03 July 2012
Publication City/Country
Philadelphia/US
Paju
Sounds good! smile1.gif
Tara
Product Description

50 years after her death, "Marilyn in Fashion" offers a fascinating new spin on Monroe history, and a feast for fashionistas. She was an incandescent movie star, legendary sex symbol and a woman whose private life fascinated the public - but the story never before showcased about Marilyn Monroe is her enduring impact on fashion. From the revealing nude sheath worn to sing "Happy Birthday" to JFK to the pleated white dress from "The Seven Year Itch", Marilyn's looks defied the 1950s era of poodle skirts and marked her as a fashion icon ahead of her time. "Marilyn in Fashion" is an informative, entertaining, exhaustively-researched profile of Monroe's enduring influence on the world of fashion, which traces the evolutions of her style, from wholesome sweetness early in her career, to serious sex kitten looks in the '50s, to elegant sophistication in the last years of her life. Behind-the-scenes stories reveal how the star often worked closely with designers to create looks befitting her image. Through out the book, additional insight is offered by quotes from designers, co-stars and Marilyn herself. Illustrated by hundreds of rare and never-before-published photos, this one-of-a-kind book presents the glamorous screen icon at her very best.

About the Author

Christopher Nickens has been writing about Hollywood luminaries for over twenty-five years. His credits include a definitive biography of Bette Davis, which the star herself called "The most sensational record of my life in book form as yet." He lives in Los Angeles. George Zeno is owner of arguably the largest privately owned collection on Marilyn in the world. He is known as one of the leading authorities on the star, even once profiled in Life magazine as the Marilyn expert. George worked for years as an illustrator in the design houses of 7th Avenue, giving him an encyclopedic knowledge of fashion. He lives in New York.
mberton
QUOTE(Tara @ May 17 2012, 07:50 PM) *
Product Description

50 years after her death, "Marilyn in Fashion" offers a fascinating new spin on Monroe history, and a feast for fashionistas. She was an incandescent movie star, legendary sex symbol and a woman whose private life fascinated the public - but the story never before showcased about Marilyn Monroe is her enduring impact on fashion. From the revealing nude sheath worn to sing "Happy Birthday" to JFK to the pleated white dress from "The Seven Year Itch", Marilyn's looks defied the 1950s era of poodle skirts and marked her as a fashion icon ahead of her time. "Marilyn in Fashion" is an informative, entertaining, exhaustively-researched profile of Monroe's enduring influence on the world of fashion, which traces the evolutions of her style, from wholesome sweetness early in her career, to serious sex kitten looks in the '50s, to elegant sophistication in the last years of her life. Behind-the-scenes stories reveal how the star often worked closely with designers to create looks befitting her image. Through out the book, additional insight is offered by quotes from designers, co-stars and Marilyn herself. Illustrated by hundreds of rare and never-before-published photos, this one-of-a-kind book presents the glamorous screen icon at her very best.

About the Author

Christopher Nickens has been writing about Hollywood luminaries for over twenty-five years. His credits include a definitive biography of Bette Davis, which the star herself called "The most sensational record of my life in book form as yet." He lives in Los Angeles. George Zeno is owner of arguably the largest privately owned collection on Marilyn in the world. He is known as one of the leading authorities on the star, even once profiled in Life magazine as the Marilyn expert. George worked for years as an illustrator in the design houses of 7th Avenue, giving him an encyclopedic knowledge of fashion. He lives in New York.

Thanks Tara. This one is on my pre-order list as is Marilyn The Passion and the Paradox. Can't wait for July!
Paju
I think I'll get this. Maybe I'll wait for first member reviews, but this sounds very promising smile1.gif
melanie
I'm thinking to order this one too.
mberton
Just received my copy of this. Have only briefly glanced through it but have to say it is gorgeous. Beautifully designed, the sections are divided into the designers MM wore with loads of good quality photos throughout, many I have not seen before. Then there are sections about her hair, makeup, hats and casual wear. Cover is amazing - it shimmers. At 280 pages, this is excellent value for money. Highly recommend it.
Paju
I thought this was coming out in July! Where did you get it from? It sounds just as gorgeous as I hoped it would biggrin.gif
mberton
QUOTE(Paju @ Jun 4 2012, 07:26 AM) *
I thought this was coming out in July! Where did you get it from? It sounds just as gorgeous as I hoped it would biggrin.gif

The book has been released early. Book Depository UK has stock. I got it from an Australian site. For some reason Amazon still lists it as not yet released. Am halfway through reading it. Enjoying it and discovering a few things I didn't know but have found one or two minor discrepancies also. However, the focus is truly on fashion and MM's taste and style and contribution to trends. Just love the photos, which make up the bulk of the book. Wish they could have used more pictorial examples from the designers but I'm sure they were restricted by space and cost. This is now one of my favourites in my extensive library of MM books. jumpymm.gif
Paju
Thanks for the Book Depository tip. I also checked out some Finnish online bookstores and one of them has it. So I guess I'll order it, because it sounds like a wonderful book. I'm not really a "fashionista" but I have my own style and I like Marilyn's style. I'm happy to hear it has a lot of photos, because photos are important in a book like this. Thanks for the positive review smile1.gif
Tara
Wow! Think I'll cancel my Amazon pre-order and buy it from the Book Depository instead. (Won't be the first time either...)
ronaldo
Thanks for the tip indeed! I just ordered my copy as well!
Paju
The Finnish bookstore doesn't have it anymore. Now it says that it's not yet published. Their price is cheaper than Book Depository's, so that's why I was hoping to order from them. Well, I'm off to Sicily next week anyway, so I might as well order the book after I come back.
Can someone post some scans from the book, please?
Paju
Book Depository doesn't have it in stock anymore, instead they have it on pre order. For only 18,74 euros and 13 days to go I'm ordering it from them. It should arrive after I come back from Sicily smile1.gif
AmandaHavok
My copy arrived today from the Book Depository and it is absolutely stunning! jumpymm.gif
Might even be one of my favorite MM books. When you take the dust jacket off, the front and back covers have different pictures! It's neat biggrin.gif
Tara
I kept my Amazon pre-order open because it was set at a good price - always the bargain hunter laugh.gif ! It now says 'dispatching soon' so fingers crossed - it sounds wonderful! smile1.gif
chris
I've got it too !
I'll try to send some scans on the afternoon
Chris
Roselyn
I recieved my copy of Marilyn in Fashion from the Book depository today, and it is a beautiful, real treat book. I don`t know why, but it kind of gives me associations to the Platinum Fox book-its a different theme, but the quality and layout/design of the book reminds me of it. Great topic, of Marilyns stylish fashion sense and lots of beautiful photos (both color and black and white)-rare photos as well,not just the overused ones. Get a copy and enjoy, you wont be dissapointed by this one!
mberton
Two pages from the book. Excuse my scanning - not the best technology!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ronaldo
Great pics! Thanks so much. Can't wait for my copy to arrive!
chris
A few pictures from this magical book. My own personal scans !
I'm adding pictures there but I don't know if the correct places could be for each event so....
You have details on the name of each picture.
Chris

diamonds
wooooow breathtaking
ronaldo
Thanks! I don't think I have seen either of these pics before, wow!!
marilyn144
Chris ..!!! wonderfulllllll pictures!!! thankks!!! ♥
Jim Parson
QUOTE(chris @ Jun 16 2012, 03:20 AM) *
You have details on the name of each picture.
Chris

I can help with a couple of these, Chris. The first one is from the Pacific Coast Antique Show held at the Pan-Pacific Auditorium, April 25-28, 1949. I'm assuming you already know 3, 4, 6 & 7, the wardrobe and hair tests from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes", "Something's Got To Give" and "The Misfits". The eighth one is from the United Jewish Appeal in 1955. Marilyn raised $50,000 by having people make their checks out to her and then endorsing them over to the organization. In the last one, she's wearing the same earrings she wore to the Damon Runyon Cancer Fund organized by Walter Winchell at Ciro's on May 13, 1953. Sure wish I knew the story behind 2 & 5!
linkeando
all are rare pictures!!!!! thanx!!!
mberton
The story behind this photo according to the book: 'Marilyn is captured by a photographer hiding outside the Fox studio fence. She is leaving a rehearsal of Let's Make Love and is in typical work mode; hair unkempt, wearing casual capris and her blouse tied under her bust. The high heels are the only whisper of glamour.'

Click to view attachment
Jim Parson
QUOTE(mberton @ Jun 17 2012, 02:15 PM) *
The story behind this photo according to the book: 'Marilyn is captured by a photographer hiding outside the Fox studio fence. She is leaving a rehearsal of Let's Make Love and is in typical work mode; hair unkempt, wearing casual capris and her blouse tied under her bust. The high heels are the only whisper of glamour.'

Thank you, M!
babyd
My copy arrived from Amazon this morning.Wow! This book is gorgeous, lots of pictures I hadn't seen before and the text is so interesting. It is much bigger and more lush than i had imagined. I love that it is a different side of Marilyn that we see here, it is now firmly amongst my favourites, love it.
chris
You have details when you would like to register my pictures.
Chris
Tara
My copy arrived yesterday. It's a fantastic book - very original content, well-researched and written, and lots of rare pics. A must-have I'd say!
Paju
I just arrived from Sicily yesterday and there was a nice surprise waiting for me: this book! It has more pages than I expected and tons of pictures, beautiful layout and worth every cent. I haven't had the time to read the text yet but I will soon.
The chapters are Sexual Elegance, Becoming Marilyn, Part One: The Designers, and Part Two: A Fashion Miscellany. I can't wait to get my hands on this book, but I still have housework to do before I can relax on our balcony with this baby...
lorileime
Got my copy yesterday and am almost through the text. I am in love all over again with Marilyn and with this book. Fabulously written and organized. Love the photos. Very informative and interesting to read. 5 stars. Highly recommended.
Paju
I too read the book in one sitting. Just like Tony said, I love the writing and the whole book. Some of the photos are well known but there are also lesser known photos. The book is beautiful, informative, and an interesting read. I'd highly recommend this!
ronaldo
Someone uploaded a video on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LCgy-vCHVo...eature=youtu.be
nicky62
banana.gif I saw the video in youtube of this book can someone scan all the richard avedon pics in the book I do hope so thank you so much banana.gif
ronaldo
I received the book yesterday from Bookdepository and I just love it.
I have seen several pics that I had not seen before and several that I have not seen in a book before. It is well done and certainly a great addition to any book collection!
hollywoodcinderella
I got my copy the other day.... its def one of my faves and fashionistas would LOVE it. (like myself!) I love the info on the designers she wore etc - very cool idea!
Fav
Just got this. Best book produced on her in quite a while and a lovely refreshing angle at which to approach the subject. I've not read it all yet but it seems to be very intelligently and respectfully written. Many new photos. Luxurious feel to the book. A+ to the authors. Good job and I don't say that lightly!
Tiina
Oh noooo, you guys make me want to go and order this book so bad. rolleyes1.gif But you know what, my b-day's coming up and I have a reason to buy this wonderful book I've been lusting over. And the Ferragamo book! clapping.gif Ohhh birgits_faint.gif My wallet hurts
Fav
I was very lucky Tiina in that I had an Amazon voucher from my birthday to use up. Getting this book was like a little extra birthday gift to myself.
Tiina
QUOTE(Fav @ Aug 21 2012, 12:43 PM) *
I was very lucky Tiina in that I had an Amazon voucher from my birthday to use up. Getting this book was like a little extra birthday gift to myself.

jumpymm.gif That's lovely!
Paju
You should get the book Tiina, I'm sure you'd love it!
Tiina
I finally got to order this book today. jumpymm.gif It was my birthday yesterday and I received money as a present so I decided to use some of it and purchase myself this beautiful book that I've been wanting so much. I'm excited! clapping.gif
Joan Newman
I saw the book today at Books-A-Million and it was BEAUTIFUL !.
Plenty of rare images for me. A couple from The Seven Year Itch where she is wearing this same dress and she's getting her make up hair etc done.

You can see a few pages and images here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=B1qfDCxne...ell&f=false
Fav
I still love the book now I've had chance to read it but am I the only one who has noticed that they missed out her favourite item of clothing? Her black and white checked trousers she can be seen wearing in so many photographs over the years. A glaring omission.
Joan Newman
I've been reading that she had many black and white checkered pants. I wondered how she could have one pair from 1945 thru 1960.

http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/?showtopic=13639

http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/?showtopic=12951
Fav
It would have been great if they had covered this topic in the Marilyn in Fashion book. It's definitely a topic thats got legs - pardon the pun!
JC 96816
I bought the Kindle version of this book today.
I found the book totally disappointing -- too incomplete for me and too expensive for what it contained...

I would've put the book together in a totally different way...
It would've had a lot more pictures for one --
It would have pages of pix in the same outfit --
then a small bio of the designer(s) with their sketches, then a list of where the outfit was worn...

For the hair and make up --
There would be pictures with each different make up look/hairsyle
including the brand names and colors of lipsticks etc.
also, there would be sketches and details how to achieve the look(s)

I'm surprised there wasn't more on the blue jeans, the shoes, the jewelry and accessories. I would've also included the MM fashion photo shoots. And a detailed chapter on the Marilyn Monroe line of clothing etc.

I'm thinking more about a fashion thread here...would be nice...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.