Full Version: Marilyn: The Passion And The Paradox
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Pages: 1, 2
CYRILPARIS
will release in july 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Revelations-Passion-...6102&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revelations-Passio...6248&sr=8-1

Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA (July 17, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1608195317
ISBN-13: 978-1608195312
Tara
Oh, wow! I can't wait for this...
Paju
Banner's earlier book was so good, I expect this one to be equally great. Love the cover! biggrin.gif
Tara
http://www.bloomsbury.com/Revelations/Lois...s/9781408814109

Last year J. Randy Taraborrelli wrote a bestselling book entitled The Secret Life of Marilyn. His is the most recent of dozens written since Marilyn's death in August of 1962 and yet the appetite for information about Marilyn is insatiable. No matter whether sensational or flawed, as most of these biographies have been, the fans always come out, in best-selling numbers.

This time, with Lois Banner's Revelations, Marilyn's fans won't be disappointed. This is no re-tread of recycled material. As one of the founders of the field of women's history, Lois Banner reveals Marilyn Monroe in the way that only a top-notch historian and biographer could. Banner appreciates the complexities of Monroe's personal life in the context of her achievements as an actor, singer, dancer, comedian, model and courtesan. And the new information she unearths is revelatory. Banner's credentials opened doors and she has access to material no one else has seen, from the so called 'Rosetta stones' of Monroe research (two large file cabinets filled with a trove of personal papers), to an interview with a member of the Kennedy secret service detail who shared what he witnessed for the first time, to facts and anecdotes about her childhood and her death and every stage of her life in between that were either missed or ignored or misinterpreted.

Like her art, Marilyn's self was rooted in paradox: she was a powerful star and a child-like waif, a joyful, irreverent party girl with a deeply spiritual side; a superb friend and a narcisist; a dumb blonde and an intellectual. No biographer before has attempted to analyze--much less realized--most of these aspects of her personality. Lois Banner has.
Maneki Neko
This book seems really interesting! jumpymm.gif
CYRILPARIS
QUOTE(Tara @ Nov 14 2011, 07:13 PM) *
http://www.bloomsbury.com/Revelations/Lois...s/9781408814109

Last year J. Randy Taraborrelli wrote a bestselling book entitled The Secret Life of Marilyn. His is the most recent of dozens written since Marilyn's death in August of 1962 and yet the appetite for information about Marilyn is insatiable. No matter whether sensational or flawed, as most of these biographies have been, the fans always come out, in best-selling numbers.

This time, with Lois Banner's Revelations, Marilyn's fans won't be disappointed. This is no re-tread of recycled material. As one of the founders of the field of women's history, Lois Banner reveals Marilyn Monroe in the way that only a top-notch historian and biographer could. Banner appreciates the complexities of Monroe's personal life in the context of her achievements as an actor, singer, dancer, comedian, model and courtesan. And the new information she unearths is revelatory. Banner's credentials opened doors and she has access to material no one else has seen, from the so called 'Rosetta stones' of Monroe research (two large file cabinets filled with a trove of personal papers), to an interview with a member of the Kennedy secret service detail who shared what he witnessed for the first time, to facts and anecdotes about her childhood and her death and every stage of her life in between that were either missed or ignored or misinterpreted.

Like her art, Marilyn's self was rooted in paradox: she was a powerful star and a child-like waif, a joyful, irreverent party girl with a deeply spiritual side; a superb friend and a narcisist; a dumb blonde and an intellectual. No biographer before has attempted to analyze--much less realized--most of these aspects of her personality. Lois Banner has.

I'd heard her on the recently documentary french TV 'Un jour, Un destin'.
I appreciated her comments.
mberton
This book now has a Facebook page with updates if you are interested.

http://www.facebook.com/MarilynThePassionAndTheParadox
Margherita
Sounds super.
Tara
Reviewed by fellow MM author Carl Rollyson...

http://www.bibliobuffet.com/biographology/...iography-041912
mberton
Thanks Tara. I eagerly await the release of this book.
Serenity3
QUOTE(mberton @ Apr 30 2012, 05:33 PM) *
Thanks Tara. I eagerly await the release of this book.

Agreed, I have already preordered my copy on Amazon.com!
Tara
You can read the first 4 chapters on Amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160819531...;pf_rd_i=507846
a monroeist
QUOTE(Tara @ May 29 2012, 05:53 PM) *
You can read the first 4 chapters on Amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160819531...;pf_rd_i=507846

I was looking forward with high hopes about this book but now after having searched through it became a bit afraid of it

search with "sex" gives 120 results
search with "love" results in 60 results (with numerous results for "free-love" "make love" excluded, movie titles with "love" excluded as well)

the above is just an example

then things like (also just for example):
"Natasha taught her the French ways of making love, especially intricacies of oral sex" ohmy.gif

sweet Jesus... so Natasha was Marilyn's sex trainer?? this would truly be a "revelation", isn't it? doh.gif rolleyes1.gif

and we can read that Marilyn was a "sex addict" with footnotes citing Earl Wilson "Show business laid bare", page 71 (?) and Susie Strasberg's book, page 163 (can anybody post what is there?)

so, this is what Marilyn was all about? sex, free-love, sex addiction and so on?? with sexual abuse and sexploitation as the key to what makes Her so special, unique in history?? rolleyes1.gif

I am afraid that prof. Banner fell into a trap described by Weatherby: "Marilyn had an ability, unique in my experience, to appear to be what you wanted her to be and therefore the real person remained elusive"

nota bene this would be typical for a scholar, contrary to what one might think about it a scholar doing her scholarly work is in most cases actually much more prejudiced than a typical person, with all her scholarly preconceptions

on the other hand this book is supposed to be a scholarly biography by an eminent scholar, many people would choose this book to know "the scientific truth" about our Marilyn...

...and they would find stuff about sex addiction or multiple abortions, yes, because "Amy Grenee and Paula Strasberg both maintained that Marilyn had as many as twelve abortions" (page 137) again ...sweet Jesus doh.gif "a scholar" mindlessly repeating such a medical nonsense...

not only I am afraid ...I am becoming seriously pissed off angry.gif
Tara
The book does seem to be very focussed on Marilyn's sexuality. I'm not completely against this if it's backed up with evidence (but there are two sides to every story), and I very much hope it will be balanced alongside other aspects of Marilyn's life and personality. But I do strongly agree with your concerns, Pawel, especially regarding the 'highbrow' approach. We've already seen where that led with Mailer and Oates. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, should be interesting anyway.
a monroeist
QUOTE(Tara @ Jun 2 2012, 12:02 PM) *
The book does seem to be very focussed on Marilyn's sexuality. I'm not completely against this if it's backed up with evidence (but there are two sides to every story), and I very much hope it will be balanced alongside other aspects of Marilyn's life and personality. But I do strongly agree with your concerns, Pawel, especially regarding the 'highbrow' approach. We've already seen where that led with Mailer and Oates. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, should be interesting anyway.

yes, I agree

let me clarify my point a bit more - let's assume for the sake of argument that all statements of facts given by Banner are true and correct - but even then we all have our sex lives, relationships, phantasies, fetishes and adventures, usually quite typical, everybody has - or at least let us hope so wink3.gif

and exactly because of that a particular sex life IS NOT what makes a certain person unique and interesting! oh my it should be obvious at least from "a scholarly perspective" - an opposite of a tabloid perspective!

it is not Marilyn's "secret" sex life that makes us love Her, nor it is something that made Her such a unique and global cultural phenomenon, surely She was sexy and had a sex life - let us hope She enjoyed it but this not the magic of Marilyn!

then one could ask a question - what is this book all about? what's the point of it?

I am upset, because I am afraid that such a supposedly scholarly book which will certainly become important Marilyn book, can contribute in changing the dominating public image of our beloved Girl, especially from that "highbrow" perspective and in the "opinion-forming circles", from a "blonde sexbomb" into a "blonde sexfreak" which would be something even worse than we have so far, a real damage and disgrace cry.gif

She wasn't a sex freak, ok! perhaps She was, perhaps She also was "a slob. A banana split." but people love Her because She was "a beautiful child" first of all and IN SPITE OF ALL throb.gif throb.gif throb.gif

ps.
I believe that when writing "a beautiful child" Capote understood it as an impersonation of not just physical but also spiritual beauty, pure, in that sense childlike

Ayn Rand wrote: "a being from some planet uncorrupted by guilt", and Capote lamented when looking at Her (in His short story): "Marilyn! Marilyn, why did everything have to turn out the way it did? Why does life have to be so rotten?"

I like to think that She was just like Eve before the Fall, a glimpse of Paradise given by God, an apparition, a revelation indeed, a miracle, for us to see how beautiful a man can or could be...

Marilyn is an eternal mystery

pps.
I believe that Miller felt it that way too - and hence the title "After the Fall", perhaps He saw Her as a woman from before the Fall thrown into a world of after...

science cannot do justice to Marilyn, only poetry, perhaps theology, I am interested in theology and I must say that Marilyn helps me to understand some theological problems, take the simplest of them as an example - of visio beatifica, I take a look at Her and NOW I know that there is no boredom in heaven...
Kevin
Pawel, you said it all (a mouthful yes), but you said it all. I avoid about 98% of all the books written about her, only owning 4.

Kev
Roselyn
marilynbybrandon_190.gif I have read the preview of Lois Banners book, and don`t know quite what to make of it-seems it might not live up to its high expectations. There are twelve reviews on amazon right now. I am wondering where these people got their advance copy of the book, as it is not released until july 17. I have checked the book depository, but same there. I was planning to get it, but am having seconds thoughts about buying this book. Anyone else?
Kevin
Well, as far as I'm concerned, I won't waste my time or money. That's pretty closed minded I know, I should be more unbiased as a writer myself but I write using real and unreal peoples places and events, yes I use a 50/50 mix of reality and fiction. Most books about her, in my lil opinion are made up or made to make her out as someone she surely wasn't. I've read about 90% of whats out there and only own 4 books.

There's my opinion Cecilie. Hope it helps.

Kev
mberton
I can only assume the reviews are from those who have bought the Kindle edition. They seemed quite mixed. Still, I will read this to form my own opinion. Seeing as the publisher's blurb states that Ms Banner has had 'access to Marilyn intimates who hadn't spoken to other biographers, and to private material unseen, ignored, or misinterpreted by her predecessors. With new details about Marilyn's childhood foster homes, her sexual abuse, her multiple marriages, her affairs, and her untimely death at the age of thirty-six' I want to see what (or if any) new information unfolds.
Tara
I notice that the customer reviews are from the Amazon Vine program so they probably did receive advance copies. To be fair, this is an academic study and not only a biography, so the author's opinions are going to be a big part of it. Some of those reviewers seemed to feel that MM doesn't merit an analytical approach, and I certainly disagree with that. Other criticisms may be more grounded, though.

So far, this book sounds a bit like a cross between Summers and Churchwell. Maybe I'll like it, or maybe I won't - but I'm still very interested in reading it. And while my first impressions are mixed, I'm wary of judging any book by an excerpt, or customer reviews - until I've read it all, I can't really know what it's like.
Tara
I just noticed that the US edition is out on July 17, while the UK version comes out on August 2. The one that I pre-ordered is the US one. The UK version has a somewhat better cover IMO, but I don't want to wait! wacko.gif

Click to view attachment

US version

Click to view attachment

UK version
mberton
QUOTE(Tara @ Jul 5 2012, 08:57 PM) *
I just noticed that the US edition is out on July 17, while the UK version comes out on August 2. The one that I pre-ordered is the US one. The UK version has a somewhat better cover IMO, but I don't want to wait! wacko.gif

Click to view attachment

US version

Click to view attachment

UK version

Tara I ordered my copy from Book Depository UK and it has the US cover (funnily enough, I prefer this one!). I think Book Depository UK has both versions online. Hope the US cover is what I get ...
Tara
Thank you - and I'm sticking with the US one too, as it comes out earlier!
mberton
My copy of this book has been sent and I should receive it any day now. I guess most of you waiting for this book should get it soon too. yes.gif
Mezzo
Argh! I pre-ordered the book on July 2 using the gift card my lovely husband gave me for my birthday, but missed an email about the order when I was on vacation and so the order was cancelled. I'm waiting for my email saying the gift card has been credited with its balance again so I can re-order. Patience is a virtue, I understand.
chris
Received today.
I have to begin my reading on the afternoon.
Tara
Mine just arrived. There are 2 photo sections - the first is of Marilyn at different stages of her life, the second is some of the classic portraits. (No rarities.) Am dying to read this when I have a free moment!
lorileime
I've begun reading this and right from the very start, I have to say, I can't stand it. It is full of psychobabble and over anylizes Marilyn to such a degree that she is reduced to a textbook example of every psychosis ever described by science. And, I'm only on chapter 2. I'm not sure I'll be able to go much farther into it. It seems to be overwhelmingly based on Anthony Summer's book.
MarilynFan#1
This book is rubbish complete and utter Filth. Almost every author who comes out with a new book on Marilyn I swear make her look even worse. Even worse Banner starts giving her self airs in the book comparing herself to Marilyn. I think this book is not worth the paying customers money, just more jibberish. And I thought it was going to be something good, well I guess I was wrong. Nothing new that we didnt already know about Marilyn....
lorileime
O.K. so when I got to the part in the beginning of the book (Part II, Chapter 5) where it describes Marilyn as being a 'party girl' who was proficient at oral sex and who eventually later in life had 12 abortions, I had to stop reading. I skipped to the very last chapter, which I am still reading and I have come to a part where it explains that on "the weekend of July 19-21, Marilyn entered the Cedars of Lebanon Hospital under an assumed name and had either a dilation and curettage or an abortion...Michael Selsman heard the story from reporter Joe Hyams....that one of the Kennedys was the father......[she spent] the next weekend of July 28 and 29 at Frank Sinatra's resort hotel Cal-Neva on the shore of Lake Tahoe. Patricia and Peter Lawford took her there; Peter was a part owner of the lodge. It seems she expected to meet Bobby Kennedy there. Billed as a rest for Marilyn, the weekend turned into a disaster that set the scene for her death seven days later." What really happened the weekend of July 19-21? Was she really in the hospital that weekend and why?
lorileime
So, I've finished the book and in the end it rehashes all the scenarios we've all already heard about who could have done in Marilyn. Kennedys, Giancana, FBI, Greenson, etc. But Banner writes about Marilyn's last day, "It begins with a description of Saturday as an uneventful day, with Marilyn and Pat Newcomb sitting by the pool. Ralph Roberts arrived at nine a.m. and gave Marilyn a massage; she took several phone calls, including one forom Sidney Skolsky. A series of claims have been built around Marilyn receiving a stuffed animal by mail that morning, but Pat Newcomb told me that no such animal arrived." So Banner claims that she has spoken to Pat Newcomb. Never in the book does she get Pat's full story about what happened to Marilyn. Of all the people left on earth who could answer some very important questions, don't you think Lois Banner should have had a more in depth conversation with Pat about that night? Maybe it's just me but I think I would have not allowed Newcomb to leave without getting to the bottom of things. Who cares about the stuffed animal anyway?
chris
I'm agree with you. I begin by the end of the book and you said all the theories were there : James Hall, John Miner, The Kennedys, The Mafia, Pat Newcomb, Mrs Murray, Dr Greenson.
For the week-end at the Cal Neva Lodge "rape" by Giancana.
The book seems to be only on "sex" "sex addict", "oral sex", "lesbian sex"
I'm not agree with David Marshall for the first time of my life. He said he was one onf the greatest biography but sorry for me it was one of the worst.
lorileime
Lois Banner has built her entire reputation of Women's Historical studies on Gender and Sexualtiy, so it stands to reason that she would so completely rely on and emphasize this point of view when discussing Marilyn. It's the only way to validate her work and at the same time discredit work by a woman who was such a dichotomy as far as being ahead of her time sexually and still a submissvie to men. I wouldn't be surprised if Banner secretly loathes the fact that Monroe was so popular for just being sexy.
Mezzo
I'm sorry to read these reviews. I've ordered the book and it is being shipped to me today. I was looking forward to reading the book and it sounds like I may be disappointed to read a rehash of old theories that made me sick to my stomach the first time around.
zeldazonk1926
Are there any new pictures at least?
Tara
I've only just started reading it and am mostly enjoying it. I don't agree with all of it by any means, but at least it's making me think. Maybe I'll change my mind by the end, but so far I find it quite interesting... unsure.gif
Roselyn
rolleyes1.gif That is good to hear, Tara. I have also ordered the book and am waiting for it to arrive. I to became a bit dissapointed because of all the bad reviews, made me almost regret bying it. So I needed to hear that, to look forward to reading the book:) I think maybe we need to be open to the fact that there might have been aspects to Marilyn life, maybe what Lois Banner and Summers have written have some truth to it. In fact Goddess by Summers was the first book I read on Marilyn when I was about fourteen, because it was translated into norwegian(not a lot of Marilyn books are). I actually enjoyed it, and found it intriguing. But of course, this is not to encourage lies,or gossip and tabloid junk. But I mean, some of what Summers uncovered and wrote about at the time was important and not known up until then, right? I love Marilyn and am all for treating her with respect, but am just trying to keep an open mind here. Hope to get something positive out of Banners book! marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Tara
Members, please note:

I have edited post #33 by lorileime after part of it was reported to me by another member. I have removed the offending comment and left the rest. While everyone at ES is free to express their opinion of this book, please refrain from making personal attacks on the author Lois Banner as this contravenes the board rules:

2. Members will refrain from bashing or badmouthing the following: other board members, other forums, other sites, non board members and any celebrities. Such posts will be removed or locked.

3. Members will not post any form of abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material.

I hope we can now move on and continue to discuss the book in a constructive manner. If you have any queries, please contact me privately.

Regards,
Tara
ronaldo
Lois Banner talks about Marilyn and the book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hag9eb8GTVg
Mezzo
Thank you for the link, Ronald. I'm still looking forward to receiving and reading the book. I like that Ms. Banner says that the process of writing this biography was the most interesting and difficult that she has experienced. By the way, today is Ms. Banner's birthday.
Roselyn
jumpymm.gif Book of Passion and Paradox arrived today from book depository! Looking forward to beginning reading it later today:)
Margherita
QUOTE(lorileime @ Jul 23 2012, 03:47 PM) *
as far as being ahead of her time sexually

Why is this always repeated that "Marilyn was ahead of her time sexually" ?

In what way, she led in many ways quite typical life of a film star when it comes to her sexual relationships, many Hollywood-stars since 1920's till -70's or so when everything started to turn more conservative, had a lot of short relationships like Marilyn, and quite a lot of abortions.
Many 1950's beatniks and artists were a lot more ahead of their time than Marilyn.
But of course she was unique, eccentric and something else, I'm not saying that.

I tend to believe that Marilyn had many abortions - how many, who knows.

Marilyn was also conservative in her own way, she always had to get married with somebody, it was out of the question that she would only had had an affair going on.
BTW, I don't believe that she really wanted children that badly, I think she thought she has to want them, for most of the time.
mberton
QUOTE(Tara @ Jul 23 2012, 08:08 PM) *
I've only just started reading it and am mostly enjoying it. I don't agree with all of it by any means, but at least it's making me think. Maybe I'll change my mind by the end, but so far I find it quite interesting... unsure.gif

Received my copy yesterday and started reading. I'm in agreement with Tara - this is the first MM book in a while that is making me think. I also don't think Banner is giving herself airs by comparing herself to Marilyn early in the book. To me she is just saying she grew up in the same area in the same era as Norma Jeane / MM and so she can relate to how this influenced MM as an adult. I'm only a little way into the book and have noticed one or two errors with dates and a few spelling errors (wish publishers would get their books properly proofread! See this way too much in MM books). So will continue and see how I feel at the end. wink3.gif
Tara
I've finished reading this book. Overall, I must say I really enjoyed it. If you don't care for the academic perspective, I would recommend a more directly focussed biography (Michelle Morgan's updated book being a shining example.) I didn't agree with all of it - the bisexuality part was a bit overstated IMO, though there may well be a grain of truth in it.

And as for promiscuity in MM's starlet years, there are so many conflicting accounts. Whatever the truth is, I don't judge her for it - but I sometimes felt uncomfortable reading about it, just because I felt that it was something Marilyn might not have wanted made public.

I liked how Banner showed that childhood sexual abuse (and I believe it did happen) probably haunted Marilyn throughout her life. She praises Marilyn for being honest in a time when these things were swept under the carpet. I loved the chapters covering 1950-54, when Marilyn was growing as an artist and human being, and at the same time becoming a huge star. It covers her interactions with people like Michael Chekhov and I found that fascinating.

Towards the end of the book, Banner debunks the alleged Miner tapes very persuasively (IMO.) Earlier on she also shed some light when Marilyn lived with the Carrolls, and why Lucille Ryman said such vicious things in later years. Regarding Marilyn's final days, Banner does not state that she was raped at Cal-Neva - she simply says that it was rumoured, which of course it was. Her thoughts on Greenson and Newcomb are also interesting.

Her writing style is a bit dry and hard to get into at first, and at times I felt she insisted too much on her own opinions. She also I think that may be why some people have been turned off by it. But if you can get past that, there is a great deal of wonderful research and I think it opens up the debate in an intelligent way.
Margherita
Thanks for the review - I might read this book - but is it really interesting in other areas than shedding more "light", so to say, on her sexual behaviour or relationships ? I must say that I've always found a bit boring when Marilyn is being described based mostly how she behaved with men (or women) as if that had been the meaning of her life.

There is this well known greek tradition comparing women with ancient goddesses:
Vesta - The goddess of the household, family and children
Afrodite - The goddess of love and beauty
Apollon - The goddess of music, poetry and higher studies

It's always been seen that of course Marilyn was the Afrodite - But when reading more about her, you notice that in a way she actually might have been Apollon.
Italia
I find this book extremely scarce, Marilyn does not emerge as a serious person dedicated to her work and to seek emotional stability. But only as a woman who goes with a lot of people without problems, which has undergone 12 abortions and that the concept of family and love the little matter. A book that speaks to me of Marilyn's sex adventures in my opinion is a great book that lacks respect for a person who has struggled all his life to his profession as a serious actress
Tara
I do think there is rather an exaggerated emphasis on sex at times. Yes, Marilyn's image was as a sex goddess, so you can't just ignore it - but in everyday life, I don't think it was her utmost concern. She was looking for love, as they say, if perhaps not always in the right places.

However, I do think there is more to this book if you look closely enough. I liked what Banner had to say about Marilyn's directors, that some of them were tyrants and tried to blame her for every little thing. Billy Wilder, for example. It's a different perspective than just saying she was 'unprofessional'. Not to excuse her lateness etc, but to see it from her point of view. I've often felt that the Hollywood machine just wasn't tailored to a more sensitive actress like Marilyn.

There is also an interesting take on the typed manuscript at the beginning of Fragments, about first love. We have discussed here before that it doesn't quite seem to fit Marilyn's experience, and Banner thinks it might actually be by Susan Strasberg and was perhaps attributed to MM by mistake. Who knows if she's right or wrong, but an interesting thought.
a monroeist
QUOTE(Tara @ Jul 27 2012, 02:46 PM) *
I've finished reading this book. Overall, I must say I really enjoyed it. If you don't care for the academic perspective, I would recommend a more directly focussed biography (Michelle Morgan's updated book being a shining example.) I didn't agree with all of it - the bisexuality part was a bit overstated IMO, though there may well be a grain of truth in it.

c'mon, a bit overstated? what about "Natasha taught her the French ways of making love, especially intricacies of oral sex"? a bit overstated? Natasha Lytess as Marilyn's sex trainer?? academic perspective? Did they get a gigolo to practice or did they use a dildo? I am certain that prof. Banner researched this question thoroughly as it is so scholarly interesting and as being scholarly aware of the fact that the two ladies hadn't got a penis at their disposal, a thing indispensable for serious practical study of "intricacies of oral sex"? I wonder how Prof. Banner solves this interesting question.

[edit:] oh wait! perhaps Prof. Banner by "oral sex" means cunnilingus, not fellatio? OTOH thanks to Prof. Banner thorough scholarly research we can learn from page 136 that "Marilyn became ... especially [skilled] at performing fellatio" (with a scholarly footnote referring to an eminent scholar Mickey Rooney's book "Life Is Too Short": "for Marilyn and fellatio see Mickey Rooney")

And Marilyn was a "sex addict"? (with footnotes citing Earl Wilson "Show business laid bare", page 71 (?) and Susie Strasberg's book, page 163)

And multiple abortions of course? because "Amy Grenee and Paula Strasberg both maintained that Marilyn had as many as twelve abortions" (page 137)

such a medical nonsense... academic perspective, really?

writing such things is a pure disgrace, especially for a scholar
CYRILPARIS
QUOTE(a monroeist @ Jul 30 2012, 01:23 PM) *
c'mon, a bit overstated? what about "Natasha taught her the French ways of making love, especially intricacies of oral sex"? a bit overstated? Natasha Lytess as Marilyn's sex trainer?? academic perspective? Did they get a gigolo to practice or did they use a dildo? I am certain that prof. Banner researched this question thoroughly as it is so scholarly interesting and as being scholarly aware of the fact that the two ladies hadn't got a penis at their disposal, a thing indispensable for serious practical study of "intricacies of oral sex"? I wonder how Prof. Banner solves this interesting question.

[edit:] oh wait! perhaps Prof. Banner by "oral sex" means cunnilingus, not fellatio? OTOH thanks to Prof. Banner thorough scholarly research we can learn from page 136 that "Marilyn became ... especially [skilled] at performing fellatio" (with a scholarly footnote referring to an eminent scholar Mickey Rooney's book "Life Is Too Short": "for Marilyn and fellatio see Mickey Rooney")

And Marilyn was a "sex addict"? (with footnotes citing Earl Wilson "Show business laid bare", page 71 (?) and Susie Strasberg's book, page 163)

And multiple abortions of course? because "Amy Grenee and Paula Strasberg both maintained that Marilyn had as many as twelve abortions" (page 137)

such a medical nonsense... academic perspective, really?

writing such things is a pure disgrace, especially for a scholar

she wrote that!!!!!!!! yuk.gif furious.gif
Paju
This book seemed really interesting when I first heard of it. Now, I'm not so sure. I don't mind talking about sex or Marilyn's sex life if it's done with good taste, but there was also so much more to her life than that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.