Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fragments, By Marilyn Monroe
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tara
Not listed on any websites yet, so probably still in the making. Sounds like a great idea!

FSG (Farrah, Straus, Giroux) to Publish Marilyn Monroe

By Molly Fischer
April 27, 2010 | 11:14 a.m.

FSG isn't the first publisher you'd associate with celebrity books. But when they do go the movie-star route, they do it in the most old-school way possible.

Promising to reveal "a very different side to a great star," FSG announced today in a press release that they'll be publishing a collection of Marilyn Monroe's writing this fall. The book will be called Fragments.

And--not to worry--the familiar side of the great star will not be neglected: "Fragments will also contain a small collection of rarely seen photographs."
Nancy
I want this! I love Marilyn's poetry.
MarilynLivesSociety
This sounds absolutely wonderful! I wish it was out sooner.

Love
Michelle
xx
lorileime
And guess who gets the money. Anna Strasberg. I guess the sale of MM's stuff wasn't enough to keep her in style to which she has become accustomed. And, Yes, I will be buying it, too.
SugarKane78
I am SOOOo excited for this. Though I wish Strasberg's widow would donate to proceeds to charity, such as children in need. That would be a better tribute to Marilyn's memory.

Regardless, I am glad people will finally get to see how sensitive, introspective, perceptive and inteligent she was.
SugarKane78
oops double post by mistake marilynbybrandon_190.gif

Tara
Some more info on the book...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100427/ap_on_..._marilyn_monroe

Marilyn Monroe writings to be released this fall

By HILLEL ITALIE, AP National Writer – Tue Apr 27, 3:38 pm ET

NEW YORK – Musings about life, literature and other rarely seen writings by Marilyn Monroe will be published this fall. Farrar, Straus & Giroux announced Tuesday that "Fragments" would come out in October. Editor Courtney Hodell said the book would include poems, photographs, reflections on third husband Arthur Miller and other men in Monroe's life, and references to works by Samuel Beckett, James Joyce and numerous other authors.

"I think the book will show that she was a really thoughtful person with a real interior life," Hodell said. "She was a great reader and someone with real writing flair. There are fragments of poetry that are really quite beautiful, lines that stop you in your tracks."

The book features a long essay about Monroe's first husband, James Dougherty; notes about acting and the roles she was working on; lists of resolutions and a letter to acting coach Lee Strasberg. Monroe wrote on everything from spiral bound notebooks to stationery from the Waldorf Astoria.

The writings date from 1943, when Monroe was a teenager, to near the end of her life. Monroe was found dead in her Los Angeles home in 1962 at age 36, her death ruled a probable suicide, although theories of murder have proliferated.
Hodell said there were passages by Monroe that "make her seem suicidal," but declined to say what years the passages were written. Hodell also declined to say whether Monroe referred to Joe DiMaggio, her second of three husbands, or President John F. Kennedy, with whom she was widely rumored to have had an affair. But Hodell did say that "there's stuff about all of her relationships here."

The book was commissioned by Anna Strasberg, who manages Monroe's estate and is Lee Strasberg's widow.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/...e-real-marilyn/

April 27, 2010, 2:50 PM
In Monroe’s Own Handwriting, New Book Documents Search for ‘The Real Marilyn’
By DAVE ITZKOFF

Some of the most personal correspondence that Marilyn Monroe wrote in her life, as well as the messages, both intimate and trivial, that she jotted for herself will be published for the first time in a book planned for the fall.

On Tuesday, the publisher Farrar, Straus and Giroux said that it would release the book, called “Fragments,” in October, containing rare photographs of Monroe as well as reproductions of her typewritten and handwritten letters.

Courtney Hodell, an executive editor at Farrar, Straus and Giroux, said Monroe’s writing covered a wide range of subjects, including notes on the roles she was working on; exhortations to herself to become a better actress and lists of resolutions on how to do so; notes from her readings about Italian Renaissance art and how to decorate her apartment; and a recipe for stuffing.

There are also diary-style entries on Monroe’s relationship with Arthur Miller, as well as letters to her psychoanalysts and to Lee Strasberg, her friend and acting instructor, written when she was in the locked psychiatric ward of the Payne Whitney Clinic in New York.

“She’s trying to live the life of an artist and suffering a lot,” Ms. Hodell said in a telephone interview.

The book has happy moments as well, she said, but paints a portrait of Monroe “as being curious and questioning, and having this interior dialogue.”

“You get the sense she’s quite aware of her image,” she said. “But her sense of her true self is very different. That’s what comes through — she’s trying to arrive at the real Marilyn.”

Ms. Hodell said the letters in the book were part of the estate that Mr. Strasberg inherited after Monroe’s death in August 1962. The letters were given by Mr. Strasberg’s widow, Anna, to Stanley Buchthal, a family friend and adviser, and Bernard Comment, an editor at Editions du Seuil in Paris, to be compiled and edited for “Fragments.”
hollywoodcinderella
Ohhhh - fantastic! I havent been excited for a while about a new book but this sounds so awesome! maybe simular to "treasures" with handwritten reproductions. :-D
partymom74
I really can not wait for this book to come out. It seems very interesting about her writings on Arthur Miller on what her true feelings were for him in her own words. And the same goes for her first husband.

Really does anyone think that there are some letters there about Jack and Robert Kennedy? I have a feeling that there is not and if there is, its not going to be some BIG NEWS. Because if there was something on her being in love with them, I think Anne Strasberg would have brought it out in a different way. Now that is just my feeling..

And I hope there is something she has written on Joe Dimaggio so all the Rumours, gossip can finally be laid to rest on her feelings about him, and where there relationship was going, before her death. But probable not.. And hope there is something on Frank Sinatra and her so called affair with Jose Bolanos..
Paju
I can't wait! This book sounds fabulous. Finally something like this is published smile1.gif
Tara
I'm sure the media will be looking for juicy gossip on Marilyn's men, but my feeling is they will probably be disappointed. She was generally fair-minded, discreet and guarded, even in conversation with close friends.

The Vanity Fair article mentioned that the man who photographed her papers initially saw a couple of notes referring to Jack Kennedy in the collection, though nothing very scandalous - however, on later occasions the notes were not there, he said.

My hope is not so much to find out more about her affairs or how she died, but to get a sense of the real person behind the image. If her life is to be made public domain, then at least these will be her own words and not the opinions of others.
kittydiaboli
This book sounds like it will be the one MM book on my coffee table I'll have to wrestle out of people's hands! I can hardly wait!! throb.gif
Alanma
This new book was a news item on BBC TV today.
I am looking forward to it very much.
Here is the BBC search-page for Marilyn, with the news item about the book showing top-left.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/marilyn_monroe
Tara
What a lovely news clip Alan! I don't recognise that poem about Brooklyn Bridge, how intriguing...
njsp1921
sounds great, i hope to get the book
Alanma
Tara - I had not heard of the "Brooklyn Bridge" poem either.
I did once read that when Marilyn was a young girl of 11 or so, she would spend Saturday mornings on the concourse of the main Railway station in LA.
There, she would watch people come and go, observing how they behaved and interracted, making notes and sketches.
I do hope those notes and drawings are in the book.
Such people watching is a fine form of training for an aspiring actress!
Paju
I'm getting more and more interested in this book. I can't wait for it to be published! biggrin.gif
I am of course extremely excited about getting to read Marilyn's personal notes as I feel it is a way to understand her better and to get a little closer to her. At the same time I can't help but think that these were her private writings and not necessarily meant for anyone's eyes. I myself have told my boyfriend that if I die first, he has to burn all of my diaries so that no-one will be able to read them. But Marilyn is different. She's been a public figure for SO long and so much trash has been written about her that publishing her private notes is understandable, acceptable and a positive thing. I hope many people will read this book and see her for the person she was.
pinup
I want to buy this book but I don't like the fact that Anna Strasberg will profit from it. I may wait until I can get it second hand. As someone said before she should donate the money or at least part of it to charity, that would certainly make the book more appealible to more Marilyn fans, who know her track record. I think it will be a good opportunity for the real Marilyn to come out though without all the crap from so called friends and lovers.
dazzledent
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...ctual-side.html

Daily Mail article mentioning Fragments + the article author's encounters with her.
AmandaHavok
According to Barnes and Noble, this book is being released on September 28th jumpymm.gif
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Fragments...=marilyn+monroe
SugarKane78
QUOTE(AmandaHavok @ May 17 2010, 05:14 AM) *
According to Barnes and Noble, this book is being released on September 28th jumpymm.gif
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Fragments...=marilyn+monroe

4 days after my birthday! Now I know what to ask for marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Mezzo
I realize this isn't the correct topic, but it seems related. I'm reading Lee Strasberg's book, "A dream of Passion: The Development of the Method," which contains small photos of two of Marilyn's drawings. I've scanned them as well as I can, and here they are:
Click to view attachment
Marilyn's caption beneath the drawing on the left reads, "old man sitting on bench listening." It seems to me that if she intended it to be Lee, she would have said so in her caption.
Paju
I agree, the "old man" isn't necessarily Lee Strasberg.
Btw I hope that these are included in Fragments as well smile1.gif
AmandaHavok
I just read on Barnesandnoble.com that this book will have 256 pages and an introduction by Joyce Carol Oates.

I can't wait for this! biggrin.gif
lillis3
QUOTE(AmandaHavok @ Jul 1 2010, 06:56 PM) *
I just read on Barnesandnoble.com that this book will have 256 pages and an introduction by Joyce Carol Oates.

I can't wait for this! biggrin.gif

Ooooh i wish someone else could write the foreword though... huh.gif
Tara
QUOTE(lillis3 @ Jul 3 2010, 08:15 PM) *
Ooooh i wish someone else could write the foreword though... huh.gif

My thoughts as well - but if Oates just writes an essay about Marilyn, and not fiction a la Blonde, it might be OK. This book should be all about Marilyn, IMO.
Paju
I agree. I'm not too excited about the foreword by Oates, but I'm looking forward to the rest of the book.
Tara
Click to view attachment

Eisenstadt is very popular for covers now, this pic was on Nick Yapp's picture book as well. It does fit this concept very well, though...

http://us.macmillan.com/fragments-1

SugarKane78
Beautiful cover! marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Paju
I simply can't wait for this book! It sounds more and more promising.
Paju
I'm so glad I didn't pre-order this because... I just found out they'll publish this in Finnish as well! biggrin.gif

Not too many MM books have been translated into Finnish, but I had a hunch about this one - and turns out I was right! It's supposed to come out in October. So exciting jumpymm.gif
kandykisses
This book sounds really interesting. The pics by Marilyn are kind of Picaso looking. I hve the other book with the same pic on the front. All those pics from that photographer were taken at Marilyn's apt 882 Dohenny I think. I am kind of obsessed with that apt so I love looking at pics of Marilyn from that time in that apt.
MarilynLivesSociety
If you live in the UK, The Independent on Sunday is going to run an article on Fragments tomorrow (8th Aug). They just phoned me for some quotes and information on Marilyn's literary interests, so hopefully it will be a worthwhile article.

Love
Michelle

Paju
That sounds interesting! Can someone please scan the article?
Monroestar
Oh fantastic Michelle. Hope its a great article - ill be at the shop in teh morning smile1.gif ThanksX
Monroestar
Just bought the Independant on Sunday but can't find the article - any help appreciated smile1.gif X
Paju
Thanks Alan smile1.gif
Monroestar
Thanks Alan

Went and bought the actual paper and can't find anything in there smile1.gif
MarilynLivesSociety
It's very odd but someone else said they couldn't find the article in the paper too. I never bought it - I thought I'd just look at it online so I don't know. I am pretty positive they said it was going in today - maybe it's tucked away somewhere. Let me know if you can find it.

Love
Michelle
xx
Fav
Ok this is one more I may have to put on my shopping list. I love the idea of this book though hope it doesn't feel like invading her private space with the personal letters. I just love her drawings and some of her written musings I've seen before. It's amazing to believe nobody came up with this idea earlier. I guess they are playing up the senstational stuff to sell it and get press headlines which sadly they need to do to get coverage these days, it's a shame though as it sounds like a book that could stand on its own.

It'll also be an audio book too. I wonder who is narrating/voicing it? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fragments-Poems-In...9021&sr=8-3
linkeando
I booked it yesterday, but I will have in October (my gift for my birthday) wink3.gif
Tara
QUOTE(Fav @ Aug 23 2010, 10:37 PM) *
It'll also be an audio book too. I wonder who is narrating/voicing it? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fragments-Poems-In...9021&sr=8-3

A Broadway actress called Isabel Keating, who previously played Judy Garland onstage...

http://blog.everlasting-star.net/2010/09/c...s-fragments-cd/
Paju
Thanks Tara, that's interesting smile1.gif
I wish it was October already! Yesterday I noticed they have published the Finnish cover for Fragments (or Välähdyksiä, sirpaleita as it will be called here): take a look.
Personally I prefer the English cover.
Tara
QUOTE(Paju @ Sep 15 2010, 02:28 PM) *
Thanks Tara, that's interesting smile1.gif
I wish it was October already! Yesterday I noticed they have published the Finnish cover for Fragments (or Välähdyksiä, sirpaleita as it will be called here): take a look.
Personally I prefer the English cover.

Thanks Paju, I like the photo but the huge signature makes it less personal somehow. My favourite cover so far is the French one, which really looks like a journal.

Not long to go now, I'm really hoping it will live up to my expectations and celebrate the true Marilyn...
LuvBabyJane
I am very confused?...are there to be 'two' versions of this book?...This is what I found on Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007395...ref=oss_product

Says 'Stanley Buchthal (Editor), Bernard Comment (Editor) '

And this one....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fragments-Marilyn-...9666&sr=1-2

Say's 'Marilyn Monroe (Author), Stanley Buchthal (Editor), Bernard Comment (Editor)'

One is available for pre order...the other not...are they the same book?.

Any thoughts please....Lolly xXx smile1.gif
Tiina
I haven't been buying Marilyn books in a long, long time (too long!) but this one is definitely going to be in my book shelf one of these days. smile1.gif Perhaps I'll get it for Christmas. I'll have to see what the Finnish version is like. If it has all of the original notes written by Marilyn as well as the translated text then I'll get that one but otherwise I definitely want the English version with Marilyn's original words and not just someone's translations. The French cover is definitely the best, I agree with Tara.

By the way, I haven't been posting on ES in million years. Great to be back haha! jumpymm.gif
Tara
The one that's available is the UK version, the other is American so available on the US site. Content is the same - and there's also a Kindle edition for all you E-readers out there!

http://www.amazon.com/Fragments-Poems-Inti...2991&sr=8-3

QUOTE(LuvBabyJane @ Sep 29 2010, 03:10 PM) *
I am very confused?...are there to be 'two' versions of this book?...This is what I found on Amazon UKhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007395...ref=oss_productSays 'Stanley Buchthal (Editor), Bernard Comment (Editor) 'And this one....http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fragments-Marilyn-...9666&sr=1-2Say's 'Marilyn Monroe (Author), Stanley Buchthal (Editor), Bernard Comment (Editor)'One is available for pre order...the other not...are they the same book?.Any thoughts please....Lolly xXx smile1.gif

Also, some interesting quotes from the book here...http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/arts/...f-1225932757719
Paju
Thanks for the link Tara smile1.gif The Finnish edition is supposed to come out on Monday, hopefully it will hit the stores immediately!
mare
QUOTE(Paju @ Oct 1 2010, 04:25 PM) *
Thanks for the link Tara smile1.gif The Finnish edition is supposed to come out on Monday, hopefully it will hit the stores immediately!

I'm going to check tonight in the US!! Thanks everyone, I didn't know about this!

jumpymm.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.