Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mm: Personal - From The Private Archive Of Marilyn Monroe
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tara
Here's another one to look forward to, a book based on the MM archive previously showcased in Vanity Fair. I reckon this one will be very interesting!

Product details

Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: ABRAMS (Oct 2010)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0810995875
ISBN-13: 978-0810995871

No other info available as yet. Will add more details when they appear...
SugarKane78
QUOTE(Tara @ Mar 7 2010, 09:23 AM) *
Here's another one to look forward to, a book based on the MM archive previously showcased in Vanity Fair. I reckon this one will be very interesting!

Product details

Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: ABRAMS (Oct 2010)
Language English

No other info available as yet. Will add more details when they appear...

YAY! YAY! Thank you for posting this, I am so excited.

I read Spoto, Morgan, currently reading Guiles and the Gloria Steinem book jumpymm.gif dancingmm2_279_203.gif , wondering what to read next...Leaming or Taraborelli? Hmmm, maybe I should start a separate thread.
Paju
So it IS finally coming out?! Yay biggrin.gif Can't wait for it - let's hope that The Estate won't get in the way...
chris
I hope too !
Chris
MarilynLivesSociety
The Estate won't get in the way on this one as I'm 99.9 per cent sure that they have given their full approval. Lois came to visit me while she was writing the book and I got to know a lot about her plans and the work that had gone into the book. I definitely think it is one to look forward to. I can't wait!

Love
Michelle
Author - Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed.
Paju
Oh good smile1.gif It just came to my mind since the Estate now has the items.
I'm very excited about this book and will definitely order it as soon as possible. This might even help me with my Master's Thesis!
Tara
Yes, this one's most definitely a must-have for me too. Along with Maf the Dog, it's topping my wishlist right now! laugh.gif
eddie
Hi ive been trying to help Lois with some research. If anyone knows someone who knew Marilyn who can interview her please let me know. Or contact me if you have any leads in general.

thanks John
blondealways
I am looking forward to this book as well, I pre-ordered it on Amazon! I'm reading "the misfits-Story of a shoot".
Quick question if anyone can help, i'm sure that this has to do with the article that was in Vanity Fair some time ago, "The Things She Left Behind". I just want to be sure thats what it is.....Thanks!
Tara
QUOTE(blondealways @ Apr 10 2010, 02:12 AM) *
I am looking forward to this book as well, I pre-ordered it on Amazon! I'm reading "the misfits-Story of a shoot".
Quick question if anyone can help, i'm sure that this has to do with the article that was in Vanity Fair some time ago, "The Things She Left Behind". I just want to be sure thats what it is.....Thanks!

Yes Andre, I think you're right. As far as I can tell, it's probably going to be a photo book with commentary. With Lois Banner and Mark Anderson as co-authors, it does sound like it could be a follow-on from the VF article, only more detailed perhaps...
blondealways
I thought so I'm so looking forward to this book, it should be as good as The Personal Property of Marilyn Monroe from Chrisites!
Monroestar
Oh fantastic! Saw this ion Amazon and wondered what it was! Can't wait :-)
Paju
Looks like the publishing date has been pushed back from October 2010 to March 2011...
Tara
QUOTE(Paju @ Jun 9 2010, 06:56 AM) *
Looks like the publishing date has been pushed back from October 2010 to March 2011...

That's a pity, but good news for my credit card laugh.gif

With Fragments & Cindy De La Hoz's new book coming out in September, there will be plenty to enjoy in the meantime marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Fav
I've not bought a new Marilyn book in a while. I've got the Vanity Fair article and as far as I know, Lois Banner is a reliable source and well known. I may well have to purchase this when it comes out.
Paju
I'm a bit confused about when this book will actually be released. Amazon (both .com and .co.uk) say that it will be released in March 2011. The Book Depository gives the release date as December 1st 2010. However, some Finnish online bookstores are even more optimistic and think it will be released on October 31st 2010 (that was the original date on Amazon as well)! I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Tara
I've heard it will be out in January. wish.gif
Paju
That sounds good too smile1.gif I just hope it comes out sooner than in March.
Tara
I'm wondering what the difference will be between Banner's book and De La Hoz, as they both deal with MM's personal property. I'm a little more interested in this one for Lois Banner's commentary, but I'll probably want both!
Paju
What I understood is that De La Hoz's book will be similar to Jenna Glatzer's Treasures. Banner's book will deal with the things that were found in the file cabinets some time ago. Vanity Fair did an article on that too. So I suppose that the books will be quite different.

I definitely want both books, and Fragments and Vachon's book as well. I can't remember when was the last time that so many wonderful books came out smile1.gif
Tara
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Abrams (March 1, 2011)
Language: English
Tiina
Oooh, what a lovely cover! clapping.gif And sounds fairly interesting.
MMcamera
jumpymm.gif LOVE THAT COVER!!!
chris
I can't wait about this one
I would to have it since so many times
Chris
Paju
Loving the cover and the content sounds so interesting! I just wish they'd publish it before March.
Maneki Neko
I also love the cover! However, I actually don't mind if it isn't published until March because I haven't even had the chance to order all of the new books that have been published lately yet. Haha!

blondealways
QUOTE(Tara @ Nov 9 2010, 04:40 AM) *
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Abrams (March 1, 2011)
Language: English

Gorgeous Cover i cannot wait to get my hands on it! thanks for posting i have been wanting to see what the cover looks like! clapping.gif
Tara
Synopsis from Amazon...

“Marilyn Monroe is the most famous, ubiquitous, and idolized woman of our modern age. An icon of physical beauty, sexuality, and the quintessentially American dream, Marilyn’s legend continues to grow four decades after her death. MM:Personal is a new and illuminating look behind the veil of that legend, reproducing artifacts and documents – thought to have been lost since 1962 and never before revealed to the public – to clarify, qualify, or reverse many common conceptions about the blond bombshell. Selected from more than 10,000 largely unseen and heretofore unpublished items that were stored in Marilyn’s two personal file cabinets – the ‘Rosetta Stones of Marilyn Monroe scholarship’ – the collection also draws from the important collections of Greg Schreiner and Scott Fortner. These documents, snapshots, letters, memorabilia, and ephemera are joined by the first account of Monroe’s life since Gloria Steinem’s Marilyn to be written by a feminist historian, Dr Lois W. Banner, bringing a depth of understanding previously unavailable to her life. New answers come to light, such as what the dimensions were of Marilyn’s personal management of her public persona, Marilyn’s relationship to the photographers with whom she worked, how sensitive she was to her fans, and the tenor of her marriages to Joe DiMaggio and Arthur Miller. MM:Personal promises to completely refocus how we view Marilyn’s private life, personal relationships, and legacy.”
Mezzo
Call me tired, but I looked for the 'like' button after I read your post, Tara.
Marloes
I love the cover! This book is on my wishlist, hopefully I'll get it for Christmas smile1.gif
Tara
“Unlike last year’s Fragments, which consisted solely of Marilyn’s notes, poems, jottings, recipes, etc., MM Personal — while it also has letters from the star — is mainly correspondence to Monroe. From friends and professional colleagues — including harried notes and telegrams from publicists frantic to put a stop to the unhappy publicity surrounding Marilyn’s behavior on the set of “Some Like It Hot.” These strategic plans are overshadowed by Monroe’s miscarriage, which is referred to. (There is even talk of suing Time magazine.)

Among the affectionate missives is this telegram from the great Broadway and movie choreographer Jack Cole: “The universe sparkles with miracles, but none among them shines like you. Remember that when you go to sleep.” The book, a luscious glossy thing, is studded with photos, many of them Monroe’s personal items — including artwork she purchased just before her death.

There’s a great deal of minutiae that only the most devoted MM fans will appreciate –check stubs and such. But the overall vibe of the book is wrenching, because it clarifies Monroe’s humanity, her working life, her normal day-to-day existence. She didn’t lurch around every single moment in a drug-induced coma. She had a vital — if troubled —existence. She wrote to her stepchildren by Arthur Miller (in the voice of the family dog, Hugo) and she wrote to Isadore Miller, even after she had divorced his son, Arthur.”

Read Liz Smith’s review in full at WowOwow
Paju
Wonderful review, I can't wait for the book smile1.gif
sugarkane20
i cant wait!
chris
No more than 3 weeks to wait !!!!
Chris and with more than 300 pictures
Paju
I'm holding the book in my hands! It arrived today with the Vachon book (which looks great too). I took a quick glance and the book seems incredible! biggrin.gif I'm going to go read it now and I will post more after I'm done.
Paju
This book is quickly becoming one of my absolute favorites - and I don't say things like this lightly! There are letters people have sent to MM that she kept. Among them is a very touching letter from 1958, where a woman offers a baby girl for the Miller's to adopt, since the baby's mother is unable to take care of her. I also love the letter from a mother of a Korea soldier - she praises Marilyn because her son loved MM's visit to Korea.

The first pages I happened to open were 100-101, and on page 101 there's an absolutely beautiful photo of MM looking back at me. It must be a sign.
Tara
How exciting! I hope my book will come soon, I wasn't expecting it until March bye1.gif
Paju
I wasn't expecting it until March either, but then I happened to check out a Finnish online bookstore - and they had it in stock smile1.gif I'm sure you'll love it when you get it, Tara.

Edit: There's also a heartbreaking letter from Harry C. Wilson to Berniece, written shortly after Marilyn's death. Wilson tells how he loved Gladys before she had her mental breakdown - and apparently never stopped loving her. He remembers a Christmas time he spent with Gladys and Norma Jeane, going to see a Christmas parade and lifting Norma Jeane up to his shoulders so that she could see better. "I hoped then that people watching us would think they both belonged to me and they were mine." And a little bit later: "I told her I was very much in love with her and her little girl."
Just think how different Norma Jeane's childhood might have been had Gladys' mental health been better. I'm not saying I blame her, not at all. Maybe she could have fallen in love with Wilson as deeply as he fell for her - who knows, maybe she did love him. Then they could have been a happy little family. Norma Jeane would have had a father figure. It's interesting to think how her life would have turned out if this one thing had been different.
nicky62
Can anyone scan the book pages or at least some rare pics please ? thank you in advance nicky62
chris
How lucky persons you are ?
It is the book that I'm still waiting since october 2008 and the column on Vanity Fair
I hope to get it as soon as it would be possible
Chris
Tara
What a lovely item. Of course you can never tell, but I do think Marilyn would have a better chance of happiness with two loving, stable parents in her life - or even just Gladys. But of course it wasn't Gladys's fault that she got ill. Very sad...

QUOTE(Paju @ Feb 9 2011, 07:37 PM) *
I wasn't expecting it until March either, but then I happened to check out a Finnish online bookstore - and they had it in stock smile1.gif I'm sure you'll love it when you get it, Tara.

Edit: There's also a heartbreaking letter from Harry C. Wilson to Berniece, written shortly after Marilyn's death. Wilson tells how he loved Gladys before she had her mental breakdown - and apparently never stopped loving her. He remembers a Christmas time he spent with Gladys and Norma Jeane, going to see a Christmas parade and lifting Norma Jeane up to his shoulders so that she could see better. "I hoped then that people watching us would think they both belonged to me and they were mine." And a little bit later: "I told her I was very much in love with her and her little girl."
Just think how different Norma Jeane's childhood might have been had Gladys' mental health been better. I'm not saying I blame her, not at all. Maybe she could have fallen in love with Wilson as deeply as he fell for her - who knows, maybe she did love him. Then they could have been a happy little family. Norma Jeane would have had a father figure. It's interesting to think how her life would have turned out if this one thing had been different.

chris
Wow!!! I've got the book on my hand and My God Such a wonderful treasure with rare documents and rare pictures of Marilyn. Thanks you so much Loïs and Mark
Chris from France
Tara
I keep checking to see if mine has gone out yet. Until then, we can preview at Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081099587...;pf_rd_i=507846
blondealways
Finally got my copy yestarday! clapping.gif
MarilynLivesSociety
I'm getting so frustrated that Amazon is still listing it as pre-order when so many other people have received their copy! Waterstones is still pre-order but if that suddenly becomes available then I will just buy from on of their stores, rather than on Amazon. I ended up doing this with Fragments too, and for a while after I'd bought it, Amazon were still listing it as pre-order!

I really want this book!!

Michelle.
Tara
I'm having the same issues and keep checking Amazon. It is already available on Book Depository (says it will dispatch within 48 hrs) if you don't mind paying £3 more than Amazon at current prices (but postage is free)

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780810...-Marilyn-Monroe

What bothers me slightly is that Amazon say my copy won't be dispatched until March 8, though I pre-ordered months ago. Still, I expect that's just them being silly...

UPDATE: Book Depository reduced their price so have ordered it from them instead...

QUOTE(MarilynLivesSociety @ Feb 17 2011, 08:46 PM) *
I'm getting so frustrated that Amazon is still listing it as pre-order when so many other people have received their copy! Waterstones is still pre-order but if that suddenly becomes available then I will just buy from on of their stores, rather than on Amazon. I ended up doing this with Fragments too, and for a while after I'd bought it, Amazon were still listing it as pre-order!

I really want this book!!

Michelle.
sugarkane20
I received this book today and i can't wait to read it. I flipped through all the pages and its bigger than what i expected.
chris
Yes it is one of the best book
Chris
Paju
QUOTE(Tara @ Feb 17 2011, 11:02 PM) *
UPDATE: Book Depository reduced their price so have ordered it from them instead...

Wow! With a price like that, it's a steal. You got a good deal biggrin.gif
Alanma
As reviewed in the 'Mail' today - [scroll down from the bit about Gaddafi]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-...conscience.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.