Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picture Information Solved?
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Picture Investigation
Mezzo
I've just finished reading Jeffrey Meyers' The Genius & the Goddess and came across some information that may pertain to a photo that was posted here some time ago. Forgive me, but I've looked for the thread and couldn't find it, so I've started a new topic. There was some discussion of this photo, as I recall, but I don't know if its identification was ever solved.
Click to view attachment
On page 177 of Meyers' book he describes an event held in New York on May 20, 1959, where Arthur Miller received the Gold Medal for Drama from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. He says that Marilyn wore a very tight, lowcut black dress with three strands of pearls and long white gloves. He also says that Marilyn stole the show, despite sitting quietly with the other guests at a table. clapping.gif
I'm wondering if this photo might be from this event. In case it is, I'm also including photos of an item that was sold on ebay, which is a program from the event and was signed by both Marilyn and Arthur.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Hopefully Tara or another E-S genius can merge the two topics. Thanks!
LasseK
Interesting, Mezzo. Thanks.

This is a new date and event to me. I think it may help in sorting out a few pictures that we've been discussing and maybe straightening out some mix ups in general.

May 21, 1958. Miller is inducted as member of the National Institute of Arts and Letters at a joint annual ceremonial of the American Avademy and the National Institute of Arts and Letters, at the Academy Auditorium, 632 West 156th Street, NY.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

And, according to Jeannette here:
http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/?sh...6064#entry58695

January 27, 1959. Arthur Miller receives the golden medal of the National Institute of Arts and Letters at the Auditorium of the American Academy in NY.

And now, according to you, Mezzo:
May 20, 1959. A preview of an exhibition of work by members and recipients of honor and rewards at the Gallery of the National Institute of Arts and Letters, Broadway, between 155 and 156 Streets.

Question now is to which of the latter two events your picture belongs.

And where do these belong?

Maybe we will finally be able to pin them down correctly.

Lasse
chris
You are the best
Thanks
Chris
Mezzo
You're welcome, Chris. Thank you for the nice compliment.

I hope the information is accurate; Meyers' description of Marilyn's outfit of what she wore to the event on May 20, 1959 reminded me of the photo that was posted. If Meyer's research is correct, then I'd say that the photo of her with the pearls most accurately matches the 1959 date. However, Lasse, in the second photo that you posted she is shown wearing long white gloves, which do not show in the photo in my first post and were also mentioned by Meyers. Because of the lack of pearls in the two photos in your post, though, perhaps they were taken at the event held on January 27, 1959. It would be nice to be able to read the document in your photos, as it likely contains a date!

Interestingly, Meyers also states that Arthur, knowing Marilyn's habits regarding punctuality, went to the event early. According to Meyers' account she arrived late, towards the end of the luncheon.
LasseK
QUOTE(Mezzo @ Feb 2 2010, 02:40 PM) *
You're welcome, Chris. Thank you for the nice compliment.

I hope the information is accurate; Meyers' description of Marilyn's outfit of what she wore to the event on May 20, 1959 reminded me of the photo that was posted.

I do not doubt or question that the photo you posted belongs to the event which Meyer had in mind.

But the probelm, Mary, is that

1) Meyer says that Miller was awarded the gold medal on May 20, 1959, while your document clearly says that on this date there was a preview of an exhibition.

2) according to Jeannette's information, Miller received the gold medal on January 27, 1959.

If it is correct that Miller got the gold medal on January 27, it means that Meyer got something wrong or mixed up.
Meyer either got the date wrong (if it was the "gold medal"-event) or the cause for the event wrong (if it actually was on May 20, 1959). Now which is it?

I assume that Meyer's description of Marilyn's outfit is correct for one of the events. But if it was for the gold medal, it was on January 27, 1959 (and Meyer simply got the "medal-date" wrong).

However if Marilyn did wear it on May 20, 1959, it must have been for the exhibition and not for the event when Miller got the medal. See what I mean?

So, question still remains - when did Marilyn wear the "very tight, lowcut black dress with three strands of pearls and long white gloves".

If this is Meyer's eyewitness report, and he says that Marilyn was "sitting quietly with the other guests at a table", and that "she arrived late, towards the end of the luncheon", it does to me more sound like a luncheon held for the "gold medal" event on January 27, 1959, rather than for a preview of an exhibition...

However, I don't know for sure and I'd say we'd need some more facts to resolve the question.

Lasse
LasseK
I couldn't use the Edit tool, so I hope that this comes through okay.

I just noticed something which may support that the picture posted indeed was from May 20, 1959.
In the following press photo it says that Marilyn on February 5, 1959 made her first public appearance since finsihing SLIH.
If this is correct, it means that Marilyn did not attend any event on January 27, 1959, when Miller (according to Jeannette's information) was awarded the gold medal.
Click to view attachment

Lasse
Mezzo
QUOTE(LasseK @ Feb 2 2010, 08:41 AM) *
I just noticed something which may support that the picture posted indeed was from May 20, 1959.
In the following press photo it says that Marilyn on February 5, 1959 made her first public appearance since finsihing SLIH.
If this is correct, it means that Marilyn did not attend any event on January 27, 1959, when Miller (according to Jeannette's information) was awarded the gold medal.

Good connections, Lasse!

If this might be of any help, I'll quote the passage. Meyers writes,
"On May 20, 1959 Miller was awarded the Gold Medal for Drama from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, and the rather formal ceremony was sparked into life by Marilyn's stunning appearance. A speech was dependable. Miller, on occasion, managed to be witty when he spoke, but you could always count on him to pious in the last sentence of the first paragraph: 'An honor which the artist perhaps would not part with, but never truly takes as his own, because labor freely given and the joyful misery of creating cannot be translated into a prize.' Nevertheless, his presence was an event: Marilyn Monroe, then his wife, was in the audience.
Miller, well aware of her habits, arrived on time and without her. Marilyn came very late and at the very end of the luncheon. She was placed next to the seventy-eight-year-old Irish writer, Padraic Coum, who hadn't minded the empty seat and truthfully claimed that he'd never heard of Marilyn Monroe. Wearing a very tight and very decollete black dress, with three strands of pearls and long white gloves, she sat demurely among the spectators. She knew she was on display - all eyes, as always, were riveted on her - and was smiling, charming, and self-possessed. The intellectuals and academicians were tremendously excited by her presence. Everyone was thrilled to be there and fought to get near the deity. Abandoning their customary reserve, they swarmed around her and swooned like a bunch of love-sick schoolboys. While Miller gave his pious speech, Marilyn quietly stole the show."

Meyers lists his sources as:
"R.W.B. Lewis, ed., A Century of Arts and Letters (New York, 1998), p.163; Interviews with the poet William Jay Smith, Cummington Mass., Ocotober 31, 2007, and with Lydia Kaim, assistant to the director of the Academy, Kennet Square, Penna., December 9, 2007; Victor, Marilyn Encyclopedia, p. 299; Rosten, Marilyn, p. 68."

I assumed she sat at a table; I see now that I may have been presumptuous. Meyers says there was a luncheon, while the program lists the Private Showing at 5 PM on the 20th and the public exhibition from May 21 to June 14th, 2 - 5 pm daily except Mondays.
Mezzo
A little more research:

Here is the photo from the American Academy of Arts and Letters' website; in it, one of the relief figures shown is also seen behind Marilyn in the black dress and pearls photo:
Click to view attachment

Here is a description of the exhibitions:
"The Academy presents two exhibitions annually. The Invitational Exhibition of Visual Arts, which begins in March and ends in April, is a group show of works by approximately thirty contemporary artists who are candidates for the Academy's art awards and purchase program.

The Exhibition of Works by Newly Elected Members and Recipients of Honors and Awards opens in May to coincide with the Ceremonial, and ends in June. It includes art, architecture, books, manuscripts, and musical scores.

Exhibitions are free and open to the public. A schedule of this year's exhibitions can be found on the menu to the left."
source: http://www.artsandletters.org/exhibitions2.php

Here is a description of the Ceremonial:
"Each May members and award winners gather onstage in the Academy's landmark auditorium on West 156 Street to formally induct new members, confer awards and honors, and listen to a distinguished speaker deliver the Blashfield Address.

The awards that the Academy gives vary somewhat from year to year, but currently number around 50 and total approximately $1 million. A list of this year's newly elected members and award winners can be found here.

Works by new members, gold medalists, and art and architecture awardees can be viewed in the Academy's galleries as part of the Exhibition of Works by Newly Elected Members and Recipients of Honors and Awards."
source: http://www.artsandletters.org/ceremonial.php

So from this can we gather that Meyers' connecting the outfit with the date May 20, 1959 is correct, as the exhibition coincides with the Ceremonial and the awards are conferred in May?

Since your information indicates that Marilyn didn't make a public appearance before February in 1959, Lasse, I wonder where the photo of Marilyn wearing the familiar dress with the lace bodice was taken?
LasseK
QUOTE(LasseK @ Feb 2 2010, 04:41 PM) *
I couldn't use the Edit tool, so I hope that this comes through okay.

Click to view attachment

Lasse

On the other hand, I also found this by Kilgalllen on January 16, 1959...

Click to view attachment

It does indicate that Marilyn was that much up and about, that she could also have been attending a possible Miller gold medal luncheon on January 27th.

Thanks for the info in your latest post, Mary.
Yes, since the preview/private showing of the exhibition on May 20 took place from 5 p.m., it's not likely that there would have been something called a "luncheon" at that hour of the day, is it?

We simply need more information.

Lasse
LasseK
QUOTE(Mezzo @ Feb 4 2010, 06:39 PM) *
A little more research:

So from this can we gather that Meyers' connecting the outfit with the date May 20, 1959 is correct, as the exhibition coincides with the Ceremonial and the awards are conferred in May?

Since your information indicates that Marilyn didn't make a public appearance before February in 1959, Lasse, I wonder where the photo of Marilyn wearing the familiar dress with the lace bodice was taken?

It's possible, but would you call it a luncheon as late in the day as 5 pm?

Also I'm not sure of how much can be interpreted by what the press meant by "public appearance". The January 27th event would have been primarily Miller's public appearance, even if Marilyn also showed.
Then there is the Kilgallen info, that I just posted above.

And there is still Jeannettes information that Miller was awarded the gold medal on January 27th.

Furthermore, if there is an opening of an exhibition of work by "newly elected members and recipients of honors and rewards", at least I would have assumed that Miller in tis case, would have been rewarded the gold medal at an realier date than the actual exhibition.

Could it be that Mayer got it wrong about the actual announcing of the gold medal, and that this was announced on Januaey 27th? And that on May 20th Miller did hold a speach to a seated crowd, but that this occasion was not when the gold medal was announced (but maybe delivered?) and not really at "a luncheon", as Meyer indicated.

What say you all - are there "luncheons" as late as after 5 pm.?

However, I do think that the actual photo we are discussing, actually looks very much like a late May 1959 photo.
Maybe it's just a matter of confusion of details.

Lasse
chris
I'm trying to resume what did you explain !
On May 21 1958 We have pictures of Marilyn (black dress but no pearls) and Arthur as he was introduced as member of the National Institute of Arts and Letters is it right ?
On January 27 1959 no picture for the moment as Arthur received the Gold Medal from the same Institute, is it right too ?
and on May 20 or 21 1959 we have pictures of Marilyn and Arthur for the preview exhibition of the work (black dress and pearls) . Is it right ?

so the other pictures could be for January 27 The Gold Medal or 21 May ?
Thanks to confirm
Chris
mmcollector
Mezzo, your detective work is impressive! I'm particularly excited about your discovery as I happen to own the black dress Marilyn wore to the ceremony.

Click to view attachment

Thank you so much for sharing your discovery. I just received the Meyers book in the mail last week. Time for me to get started reading it!
Mezzo
Thank you, Scott. I thought you owned the dress, and I hope the information helps you.

Chris, I can't say for sure when the other photos were taken. I think that the photo with Scott's dress and the multi-strand pearl necklace was taken on May 20, 1959.

Lasse, I don't know why Meyer used the word "luncheon." The photos where Marilyn is seated and is wearing her dress with the lace bodice could ostensibly be from a luncheon, but then Meyer's description of her outfit doesn't match the outfit in the photos. He also implies that Marilyn was seated separate from Arthur.

sweetiefab
The American Friends of Hebrew University
On September 27, 1959, at the Bellevue Stratford Hotel in Philadelphia, Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller attend a charity event in honor of "The American Friends of Hebrew University" in the company of Rabbi Robert Goldburg.

suusmarie
Great photo Fabienne, new to me clapping.gif
linkeando
I would like to clear up this mess with your help... again!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

here´s not Miller (list from 1941 to 2012)
Click to view attachment

here´s Miller
Click to view attachment

and according with Spoto about Miller:
"... on January 27 [1959], of a gold medal from the National Institute of Arts and Letters".

but... we have two photos... then what?

these illustrious not rewarded him more, I have reviewed all links

This is my theory (copying me of Corbis, which lacks credibility for me, but I haven´t other choice and I think logic)

Miller receives the gold medal:

Miller was appointed member of the Academy:

...later...
I found this program for the 1958 American Academy of Arts and Letters and the National Institute of Arts and Letters Ceremonial:

Click to view attachment and Click to view attachment = Click to view attachment

Original program for the 1958 American Academy of Arts and Letters and the National Institute of Arts and Letters Ceremonial, 8.5 x 11, eight pages, signed on an inside page in black ink by Marilyn Monroe, who accompanied the ceremony with her husband, Arthur Miller. Miller, who has signed in blue ink beneath Monroe, was one of the inductees. Also signed in ink by Dorothy Parker, Chaim Gross, Glenway Wescott, and one other. Light creasing, soiling and toning to the pages, a few brushes and stray ink around Monroe’s signature, and Miller’s signature touching the start of her name, otherwise fine condition.

Monroe was among the many honored guests in attendance at a May 21, 1958, ceremony in which Miller was inducted as member of the National Institute of Arts and Letters at the Academy Auditorium in New York City. The Death of a Salesman author was joined by the likes of author Saul Bellow, artist Raphael Soyer, critic Robert M. Coates, and Parker, who received the Marjorie Peabody Waite Award to a Writer. Miller and Monroe signed this very program just three months before Monroe began filming Some Like It Hot. Amazing contrast as many of the greatest artists and writers of the 20th century mingled with Marilyn, the biggest star in the world.

And these are my [latest?] conclusions. Unless we get new information wink3.gif

Miller receives award Gold Medal of the National Institute of Arts and Letters on January 27, 1959 or... May 20, 1959:

Miller is inducted as member of the National Institute of Arts and Letters at the Academy Auditorium on May 21, 1958. In the photo, Marilyn is opposite the Academy Auditorium.
Mezzo
Here is the signed program from May, 20, 1959, as posted above:
Click to view attachment

And a photo with its original caption from May 21, 1958:
Click to view attachment

Since she is standing outside in a sleeveless dress and without a coat in New York, I would assume this photo was taken in May, and not in January, when it would have been very cold. According to this website of historical weather information in New York City, the temperature on January 22, 1959 was a record 59 degrees, significantly higher than average, but on February 2, 1959, it was only 1 degree Fahrenheit. http://weatherspark.com/history/31081/1959...k-United-States
Click to view attachment
Mezzo
QUOTE(mberton @ Sep 20 2012, 07:27 PM) *

A signed program from this event on September 27, 1959, was sold by Bauman Rare Books. Here is the description from the website:
"Original 1959 program for a Philadelphia benefit honoring Arthur Miller’s achievements and the receipt of an honorary degree from the Hebrew University, signed on the title page by Marilyn Monroe, then married to Miller and soon to star in The Misfits, a movie written by Miller that was filmed within months of this benefit.

In 1959 Pulitzer Price-winning dramatist Arthur Miller was awarded an honorary degree by Jerusalem’s Hebrew University, whose first Board of Governors included Einstein, Freud and Chaim Weizmann. To commemorate the prestigious award and his “distinguished achievement in the Dramatic Arts,” a dinner in Miller’s honor was held in Philadelphia by a Chapter of the American Friends of the Hebrew University. Miller and his wife Marilyn Monroe were in attendance as honored guests, along with Miller’s parents. This program of that evening is signed by Monroe in dark blue ink— a signature that dramatically crosses the lower half of the title page. Miller and Monroe had married in 1956, and in the summer of 1960, less than a year after this September 1959 benefit, both were in Nevada filming Miller’s original screenplay for the film Misfits. Directed by John Huston, the movie starred Monroe with Clark Gable and Montgomery Clift. During the difficult months of filming, Miller and Monroe’s marriage began to break up and in 1961, the year The Misfits was released, they divorced."
Click to view attachment
Mezzo
Another tidbit about September 27, 1959:
"The original of this signature was obtained in person at the Bellevue-Stratford Hotel in Philadelphia. The person recounts that he recognised Joan Copeland the actress and sister of Arthur Miller (Monroe's partner) while waiting in the hotel lobby. He moved toward her and overheard the concierge give the room number 215. He went to the room knocked on the door and Arthur Miller opened. He nervously asked him for Miss Monroe's autograph. Miller went back in the room (leaving the door ajar) and in a few moments Marilyn Monroe appeared 'positively glowing' in a bath robe and supplied her signature."
Source: http://talane881.wordpress.com/2014/07/17/...e-presentation/
Click to view attachment
Stacy
She wore her hair in a "Bubble Cut" during early 1958, before filming of Some Like it Hot. So I agree with you Jeannette that the picture of the short curly hair was taken when Miller was inducted on May 21, 1958.
linkeando
QUOTE(Mezzo @ Feb 1 2010, 04:05 PM) *
I've just finished reading Jeffrey Meyers' The Genius & the Goddess and came across some information that may pertain to a photo that was posted here some time ago. Forgive me, but I've looked for the thread and couldn't find it, so I've started a new topic. There was some discussion of this photo, as I recall, but I don't know if its identification was ever solved.
Click to view attachment
On page 177 of Meyers' book he describes an event held in New York on May 20, 1959, where Arthur Miller received the Gold Medal for Drama from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. He says that Marilyn wore a very tight, lowcut black dress with three strands of pearls and long white gloves. He also says that Marilyn stole the show, despite sitting quietly with the other guests at a table. clapping.gif
I'm wondering if this photo might be from this event. In case it is, I'm also including photos of an item that was sold on ebay, which is a program from the event and was signed by both Marilyn and Arthur.

Hopefully Tara or another E-S genius can merge the two topics. Thanks!

same outfit? (only Marilyn, no Miller)

Marco
QUOTE(linkeando @ Jul 10 2017, 02:24 AM) *
same outfit? (only Marilyn, no Miller)

Better late than never:
The two photos are of MM and AM leaving for LA for the party in honor of Khrushchev, September 18th 1959
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.