Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are We Helping To Make Marilyn Into A Thing?
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's mysterious death > General discussion
Mezzo
After being away from ES for awhile to try to curb my internet usage, I came back and have been reading some of the topics that have continued to be discussed during the past few months. In my reading, Rose's statement in ES' discussion room about John Miner's recollections of Marilyn's tapes to Dr. Greenson got me thinking. She said, in effect, that each time we buy something about Marilyn, we help to make her into a thing. This, along with yesterday's auction of some of Marilyn's possessions and a quick perusal of my own Marilyn collection, reminded me of Marilyn's statements:

"A sex symbol becomes a thing. I just hate to be a thing."

"An actress is not a machine, but they treat you like a machine. A money machine."

"And that has it's, you know, those are times it's nice. People knowing who you are and all of that, and feeling that you've meant something to them."

"If I'm sounding picked on or something, I think I am. I'll think I have a few wonderful friends and all of a sudden, ooh, here it comes. They do alot of things. They talk about you to the press, to their friends, tell stories, and you know, it's disappointing. These are the ones you aren't interested in seeing everyday of your life."

"Goethe said, "Talent is developed in privacy," you know? And it's really true. There is a need for aloneness which I don't think most people realize for an actor. It's almost having certain kinds of secrets for yourself that you'll let the whole world in on only for a moment, when you're acting. But everybody is always tugging at you. They'd all like sort of a chunk of you. They kind of like to take pieces out of you. I don't think they realize it, but it's like 'rrr do this, rrr do that.' "

So, my question somewhat echoes Rose's sentiment. Do you think that, through our dissection of Marilyn's life, our purchasing of biographies, photo collections and other Marilyn products, we are helping to make her into something that she did not want to be?

magda24
Once I raised similar question here on ES. Here's the topic http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/?showtopic=13898

It's still an unsolved problem and I think tere never will be a straight answer to this
Mezzo
Thanks for your answer, magda. I'm sorry I missed the other discussion room, but I'll read it.
magda24
Oh no problem, it was an old topic. I think it would be interesting to discuss it again. You raised some question that has been bugging me from quite some time now.
Margherita
My opinion is more like, that the tabloidpapers, low quality weekly magazines and so-called-biographies of which many are just cash makers, copious and copious paraphernalia with Marilyn in them, like postcards, coffee mugs, the Allways-The-White-Skirt-blowing stuff, the impersonators, the repeated basic pics ha ve helped to make her a thing in the worlds eyes- but- that is NOT what she really was; like in this forum many times has been pointed out, first of all people seem to know quite a little even what of she looked like- The Bert Stern's, George Barris's, Earl Moran's, even Milton Greene's and many other photographers' works are not that generally known, not to mention that most people don't bother to read a single good biography on her.....only few mentions in some magazines they grab and they think they know her.

So I think reading the best, researched books about her and admiring her beauty, like in this forum, and debating on her life, is not making her a thing.

What counts, is the way she is approached...IMO

Click to view attachment
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(Ultraviolet @ Jun 30 2009, 07:23 PM) *
My opinion is more like, that the tabloidpapers, low quality weekly magazines and so-called-biographies of which many are just cash makers, copious and copious paraphernalia with Marilyn in them, like postcards, coffee mugs, the Allways-The-White-Skirt-blowing stuff, the impersonators, the repeated basic pics ha ve helped to make her a thing in the worlds eyes- but- that is NOT what she really was; like in this forum many times has been pointed out, first of all people seem to know quite a little even what of she looked like- The Bert Stern's, George Barris's, Earl Moran's, even Milton Greene's and many other photographers' works are not that generally known, not to mention that most people don't bother to read a single good biography on her.....only few mentions in some magazines they grab and they think they know her.

So I think reading the best, researched books about her and admiring her beauty, like in this forum, and debating on her life, is not making her a thing.

What counts, is the way she is approached...IMO

Click to view attachment

That is completely true. Most seem to think she looked like a caricature. rolleyes1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.