Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Happy 50th Birthday Some Like It Hot!
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
Scottish Sugar
Sunday 29th March 2009 marked the 50th anniversary of the release of SLIH in American cinemas. Can you believe it's been 50 years?? The movie is still as fresh and funny today as it must have been all those years ago.

I'm only 24, but I can safely say that SLIH is the greatest movie of ALL time, there has NEVER been, nor ever will be another quite like it. Marilyn is only a tiny reason as to why I love it so much, Jack, Tony and all the supporting cast are perfect, plus the script is hilarious and they had one of the greatest directors of all time on board. I can't help but love it so much!

I'm slightly disappointed that nothing has really been done to mark this occassion *that I know of yet anyway* We had the special edition DVD for the 40th anniversary, now if we could only get something for the 50th...

I went to dinner with my boyfriend to celebrate SLIH's birthday, then we watched the movie with popcorn *and bourbon!* afterwards.

Share your thoughts on the greatest movie ever to grace the cinema screens! (in my humble opinion). I know there is already a topic for discussing SLIH, but I couldn't let the 50th birthday go without a topic of it's own smile1.gif How do you feel it's aged after 50 years? Are you planning your own SLIH celebrations?

Lorraine xxxx jumpymm.gif marilynbybrandon_190.gif

UPDATE: It has just been confirmed on Tony Curtis' blog, that he is releasing his own memoirs of his time on SLIH that will be released by the end of the year. Love him or loathe him, he was still a major part in the greatest movie of all time and I for one cannot WAIT for this book to come out!
xxx
princesshapnick
This is a very special occasion indeed! Some Like It Hot is the greatest American comedy film of all time, it has to be said and I'm nearly 17. I know a lot of MM fans have not really liked most of Tony's recent comments about her, but this book sounds great! I hope they'll be loads of rare photos! It would be great if it was just about the film - and perhaps, not as expensive as the large yellow Taschen one, in which I'm still saving up for!

I'm a little disappointed too. I was hoping that MGM may have released something.
Paju
Oh yeah, you're right. I wouldn't have remembered this occasion actually. So I haven't really planned anything, and didn't do anything extra special on Sunday now that I think back. Shame.

But still I agree, Some Like It Hot is a very unique movie, where everything just works - and how! runninwild.gif

As for releasing something... I don't know what they could have released except for a special edition. And frankly, I don't like it when they release too many special editions of the same movie. A book would be nice too, but there's already the huge Taschen SLIH book and it's a bit hard to top that. Tony Curtis' book may be good though. It would be nice to have his memories about making the movie in a book format. BUT he's also been known to say things that might not be that firmly planted in the truth. So I'm hoping for the best smile1.gif
dwane
happy 50th one of the greatest movies of all time! smile1.gif
abeautifulchild
Happy 50th to the film that made me a Marilyn fan throb.gif! cheers.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.