Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: As Young As You Feel
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
princesshapnick
I didn't see a thread for this movie. Anyway, I got this film for Christmas as part of an MM box set. And I decided that this film will be the first I will see out of the set. Marilyn's part is incredibly small but what we see of her is as usual delightful and she has some lovely lines and facial expressions. It's a shame she's not featured more in the movie. I was very tempted to fast forward at times but I actually got into the story a little bit more.
Bobby
QUOTE(princesshapnick @ Dec 27 2008, 01:54 AM) *
Marilyn's part is incredibly small but what we see of her is as usual delightful and she has some lovely lines and facial expressions.

I agree! As with most of Marilyn's 1951 bit-parts, her role is irrelevant to the plot but I liked her performance. I thought it was very similar to her Miss Laurel from 'Monkey Business'. I quite liked AYAYF. It's a fun little movie and Thelma Ritter was once again, excellent.
Tara
Marilyn was great in this movie I thought, considering she only has a small part. Also good to see Thelma Ritter. The downside for me was Monty Woolley, does anyone else find him really annoying?
Kowalczyk
I did, Tara. I didn't like this film much but I do think Marilyn had some lovely outfits. biggrin.gif
audreyfan1
I actually used a few clips from this film a few years ago for a school presentation about the everyday lives of the elderly when I talked about forced retirement and how it can really destroy a lot of older peoples' lives and that for many seniors, their work was all they had. I wish I still had my presentation, so I could post the speech I made about this movie. But I remeber when I showed a scene with Marilyn, almost the entire class said, "Hey! Is that Marilyn Monroe?" It really made me smile to see that the kids recognized her, espcially since this was one of her earlier films and most of them are more familiar with the way she looked in, say "Some Like It Hot".

But for such a small role, I think Marilyn really made the most of her time on screen. She looks beautiful and she has some pretty memorable moments (like when she sticks her tongue out at Mr. McKinley! balloon.gif )
Bobby
QUOTE(audreyfan1 @ Jan 13 2009, 09:45 PM) *
But for such a small role, I think Marilyn really made the most of her time on screen. She looks beautiful and she has some pretty memorable moments (like when she sticks her tongue out at Mr. McKinley! balloon.gif )

I love the little back-and-forth in that scene biggrin.gif

"Mr McKinley, control yourself."
"Go lay an egg!"
"Well!"

laugh.gif
Tara
I like that scene too laugh.gif
Scottish Sugar
I've nothing against Marilyn's acting or part (as short as it is) but before I'd seen Love Happy (which is just dire) this was my least favourite Marilyn movie. The movie is so slow and dull in parts, I was quite disappointed.

xxx
Mark7
clapping.gif AS YOUNG AS YOU FEEL full movie on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H54Wcay-RX0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.