Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Book - The Secret Life Of Marilyn Monroe
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
MarilynLivesSociety
Hi Everyone

Just found this link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Life-Marily...8314&sr=1-1

It's written by J Randy Taraborrelli who also wrote an interesting biography of Madonna some years back.

I was quite excited to hear that he'd written a book about Marilyn. Roll on August 2009!!

Love
Michelle
Author - Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed.
Tara
Oh, interesting! I've read a few of his books - on Madonna, Sinatra, Cher. He's not my favourite writer - a bit gossippy - but he generally has something interesting to say. The line 'this will be the last word on MM' made me chuckle - I mean, as if! (And isn't the title reminiscent of Summers?)
MarilynLivesSociety
QUOTE(Tara @ Nov 6 2008, 11:38 AM) *
Oh, interesting! I've read a few of his books - on Madonna, Sinatra, Cher. He's not my favourite writer - a bit gossippy - but he generally has something interesting to say. The line 'this will be the last word on MM' made me chuckle - I mean, as if! (And isn't the title reminiscent of Summers?)

Yes that made me laugh too! How could he be the last word when everyone knows my book was the real last word!! HA HA HA HA!!! jumpymm.gif

Hopefully it will be a good read!

M
x
Paju
Look at the cover on Amazon! Didn't the new edition of Summers' book have a photo of the same session on the cover? Talk about similarities.

Anyways, it sounds interesting. I'll wait for some reviews before I decide what I'll do with it.
abeautifulchild
I knew the author's name sounded familiar and then I realized that he wrote one of the very latest Elizabeth Taylor biographies. Which I enjoyed, actually. This book looks interesting and I'm excited for it. And it will come out right in time for my next (August 31st) birthday!
Tara
Though I usually love Eisenstadt, I'm not keen on the cover shot - looks like Taraborelli is going for the 'tragic' angle. Still interested to see this one pan out however.
magda24
I must say, the cover is hideous!If they wanted her to look dead or stoned- well, good work boys!It's not my favorite Eisenstadt picture either but why tampering with the colors? Why making her lips look so colorless, almost blue?
Anyway,I'm gonna have this one. But couldn't they come up with something else than "secret" in the title?(i'm in my bitchy mode today) tongue.gif
Tara
QUOTE(magda24 @ Nov 7 2008, 12:53 PM) *
(i'm in my bitchy mode today) tongue.gif

It suits you very well Magda, you do 'bitchy' with style and grace! laugh.gif
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(Tara @ Nov 7 2008, 02:24 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif Tara!

QUOTE(magda24 @ Nov 7 2008, 01:53 PM) *
I must say, the cover is hideous!If they wanted her to look dead or stoned- well, good work boys!It's not my favorite Eisenstadt picture either but why tampering with the colors? Why making her lips look so colorless, almost blue?

I totally agree, Magda! In fact, it's a bit tiresome seeing the same old cliche marilyn photos on all the new books. I swear I have five books with the famous gold lame shot on the cover and at least three with an Eisenstadt photo! Yep, I really don't like this cover. But I can't wait for the book; sounds like its going to be a good one.
magda24
QUOTE(Tara @ Nov 7 2008, 02:24 PM) *

Ha ha ,thank you Tara! being bad feels good:)
blondealways
QUOTE(magda24 @ Nov 7 2008, 04:53 AM) *
Anyway,I'm gonna have this one. But couldn't they come up with something else than "secret" in the title?(i'm in my bitchy mode today) tongue.gif

You are so right...The title should have been much more imaginative! At least! the Cover photo i dont think is that bad at all! I like It! But yeah the lips? I agree on that!
Tara
Having read Ted Schwarz's book, I'm looking forward to this more. It can't be any worse... wink3.gif
MarilynLivesSociety
I'm really looking forward to it too. I absolutely loved his Madonna book - it was so interesting and entertaining. The best I've read so far.

Love
M
xx
Tara
A short article about the forthcoming book - I'm unclear whether this is a critic's review or just a publisher's blurb, but it's still quite interesting.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA...ndustryid=47159

The Flame that Never Dies
-- Publishers Weekly, 4/20/2009
The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe J. Randy Taraborrelli Grand Central, $26.99 (548p) ISBN 978-0-446-58082-3

After half a century of Marilyn Monroe books, beginning with Maurice Zolotow's interviews of her for his 1960 biography, it's hard to imagine any revelations about the actress, but Taraborrelli—who's written bios of Grace Kelly, Diana Ross, Elizabeth Taylor and Frank Sinatra—tackles that problem with what he refers to as “fresh research.” For instance, thanks to files released in 2006 under the Freedom of Information Act, Taraborrelli details the “truly extraordinary” three-page document in which an unnamed FBI agent described the “romance and sex affair” between Monroe and RFK. Rather than the usual bibliographic listings, Taraborrelli cites only a few key books. Instead, he itemizes 30 pages of interviews explaining how he contacted sources close to the subject (e.g., approaching Dean Martin in a restaurant; talking with the historians he calls “the true experts”). In addition to interviews with everyone from Janet Leigh to Secret Service agents, Taraborrelli read the unpublished notes and interviews of reporters from the 1950s. As Taraborrelli brushes away cobwebs of myth and rumor, his remarkable research and fluid writing captures Marilyn's élan, sensitivity, desperation and despair with a haunting intimacy. (Aug. 25)
Tara
This cover pic just appeared on the Tesco website - IMO it's much better than the first one, hope they use it instead.
MarilynLivesSociety
I just can't wait for this to come out! I wish it was coming out sooner though - don't think I can wait until August!

Michelle.
Tara
QUOTE(MarilynLivesSociety @ Apr 21 2009, 07:47 PM) *
I just can't wait for this to come out! I wish it was coming out sooner though - don't think I can wait until August!

Michelle.

I totally agree, excited about it now!
blondealways
You are right this cover is much better. I have always liked this particular Monroe sitting. But I agree with the others....August is too far away!
QUOTE(Tara @ Apr 21 2009, 11:38 AM) *
<br />This cover pic just appeared on the Tesco website - IMO it's much better than the first one, hope they use it instead.<br />
<br /><br /><br />You are right this cover is much better. I have always liked this particular Monroe sitting. But I agree with the others....August is too far away!
<br />This cover pic just appeared on the Tesco website - IMO it's much better than the first one, hope they use it instead.<br />
<br /><br /><br />You are right this cover is much better. I have always liked this particular Monroe sitting. But I agree with the others....August is too far away!
<br /><br /><br />
Paju
The new cover is definitely better than the one seen before thumbup1.gif
Tara
I've just seen an advance review by David Marshall on the Forever Marilyn group. He said that there is a lot of material about Gladys, Grace and Ida - that part of the book is quite long - and also a lot about the Lawfords and Marilyn's emotional state in the last years of her life. He also said it is a difficult, harrowing read with some flaws and will probably divide the fans, but it is worth reading even if you don't agree with what it says because it contains a lot of information that hasn't been covered before.

I won't reprint the review because it belongs to David/Forever Marilyn, but their group is on Yahoo...

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/forevermarilyn/
Paju
QUOTE(Tara @ Jun 25 2009, 01:45 PM) *
...there is a lot of material about Gladys, Grace and Ida...

That sounds very interesting! Now I'd like to read it for that information alone smile1.gif
thesims2fan
It seems that some UK websites are suggesting that it has beem pushed back to September the 18th. However the release date is the 25th of August in the USA.
Link to book

On Amazon though, the large print version of the book is said to be released on the 25th of August. Strange.

Large Print Version

Time will tell.

P.S. I really hope they aren't using that cover (large print one). I'm sorry but of all the pictures why would you chose this one? It looks as though she has a lazy-eye.
Tara
I think it's going to be the black-and-white cover from post #15, which is a big improvement IMO. Agree with you on the other one. The current economic crisis has hit publishing badly so a lot of publication dates have been put back recently. I hope it comes out in the UK soon, I don't want to wait for September!
Tara
From the author's website (which, incidentally, features the less appealing cover - looking at the online bookstores, that seems to be the US version, and the b/w one seems to be English)

Anyway, I don't want to speak too soon but this is shaping up to be a very interesting book. Because Taraborrelli is such a well-known biographer, I think it will get loads of publicity. Let's hope it's a good read.

http://www.jrandytaraborrelli.com/

If you think you know all there is to know about Marilyn Monroe … think again.

From New York Times best-selling author J. Randy Taraborrelli comes the explosive and revelatory story of one of the most enduring icons of American sexuality -- Marilyn Monroe – but now told in a new, compelling and sympathetic way.

When Marilyn Monroe became famous in the 1950s, the world was told that her mother, Gladys Baker, was either dead or simply not a part of her life – depending on the publicity campaign of the moment. However, that was not true. In fact, she was secretly very much present in Marilyn’s world. The complex family dynamic that unfolded behind the scenes as Miss Monroe blazed a path to iconic glory is a brand new tale that has never before been told … until now. Explained here is the heartbreaking story of a world-famous daughter dealing very secretly with the a parent’s severe mental illness -- paranoid schizophrenia. Not only did Marilyn face her mother’s psychological sickness, she lived her entire life with the fear that she, too, was genetically predisposed to it. Acclaimed biographer J. Randy Taraborrelli now reveals for the first time the shocking scope of Marilyn’s own mental illness – based on notes and correspondence from her doctors and interviews with those they consulted. This book breaks new ground in the telling of how Marilyn not only addressed her sickness (with daily visits to her psychiatrist!) but managed to carve out a record-breaking career despite it. It’s a gripping story of courage and determination that’s never before been told… and it’s explained here for the first time.

Whereas all other biographies of the star have simply dropped Gladys from the story early on, Taraborrelli explains what actually happened – that she was secretly in Marilyn’s life until the day Marilyn died. In fact, she survived her daughter by 20 years! Based on never-before-revealed correspondence between Gladys and business associates and family members – as well as first-time interviews with those who knew Gladys in sanitariums in which she lived -- Taraborrelli weaves a complex and often heartbreaking story of mental illness. It culminates with Marilyn – shortly before her death – attempting in vain to convince Gladys to try a new drug for schizophrenia that she believed would help her. Why? Because Marilyn was taking it, herself.

Based on a stunning amount of research that includes voluminous family and medical files; personal correspondence and notes; thousands of other primary documents as well as scores of interviews with FBI and Secret Service agents; Marilyn Monroe archivists; friends, family members, costars and celebrities such as Andy Williams, Diahanne Carroll and Jane Russell, The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe completely redefines the story of a legend. J. Randy Taraborrelli also has the advantage of being able to draw upon 20 years of research conducted for his best-selling books about the Kennedy women (Jackie, Ethel Joan – Women of Camelot) and Frank Sinatra (Sinatra – A Complete Life) in order to better understand Marilyn and the tumultuous times in which she lived. Thus, his scrupulously researched book includes interviews with close friends of Marilyn’s who are no longer with us, such as Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr. and Peter Lawford.

All of this family drama and political intrigue is played out against a rich background -- the telling of Marilyn Monroe’s stunning career. The book includes astute analysis of every one of her films, behind the scenes anecdotes from those who were present when they were being made, as well as a comprehensive and detailed filmography. It also includes many photographs that have never before been published -- very rare family photos, as well as previously unseen pictures of Marilyn and Pat Kennedy Lawford, Frank Sinatra and Peter Lawford.

The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe is an epic journey told by a master storyteller. At the heart of it all is a different kind of Marilyn Monroe, a woman rescued in these pages as being far more complex and serious – and maybe even tragic – than the one we thought we knew.

And a publicity schedule...

THE SECRET LIFE OF MARILYN MONROE:

NATIONAL TV
“Good Morning America” ABC TV - August 25
*“Entertainment Tonight” – August 25, 26, 27
Television Satellite Tour – August 26

RADIO
Radio Satellite Tour – August 27
abeautifulchild
Tara, thanks! bye1.gif

Ooooh, I can't wait I can't wait! His bio on Elizabeth Taylor was very, very good so I have high hopes that this should be a page turner. I think I'll pre-order it, in fact.
MarilynLivesSociety
I absolutely can't wait to read this book. I think (I hope!) it will be one of the best ever.

Michelle.
Monroestar
Sounds a good read

For UK buyers - looks like play.com is the cheapest again :-)

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype...=41&go.y=14
Monroestar
Oh just found one on amazon at £9.49!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0283070...p;pf_rd_i=typ01
Margherita
If I ever read anything on Marilyn again, this is the book I'll read jumpymm.gif .

Tara
QUOTE(Monroestar @ Aug 2 2009, 12:29 AM) *

That is the UK edition thumbup1.gif
thesims2fan
Amazon.com have a clip from the audiobook available, as well as a link to the prologue. The prologue is well written I feel, quite moving in places.

Audio Clip on amazon

The Prologue

P.s. I'm still not entirely sure as to when it is available in the UK as Play and Amazon have different dates, as well as amazon claiming that the large print version comes out on the 25th of August. Anyone know?
abeautifulchild
Wow. Totally engrossing prologue, to say the least.
Thanks a lot, John. Geez, I can't wait for this!
Tara
Thanks John. The audio clip was fascinating. And the prologue too. Wow!

And I'm as confused as you are about the UK publication date. I guess we should all keep our eyes peeled as I suspect it will be out quite soon.
MarilynLivesSociety
I just looked at the publisher's website and it lists the book as being published in mid-September. I don't think I can wait that long - I'm really excited to see it!

Thanks for the link to the prologue and audio - it makes me want this book even more!

Love
Michelle
Author -Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed.
chris
Me too I can't wait
Michelle about your book are you still working on a new version ?
For the moment about Marilyn's life it's the best book I've ever read and about Marilyn's death it's the one of David

Chris
MarilynLivesSociety
Ahh, thanks Chris! I'd absolutely love to do another one - really, really would LOVE it! But I'm not sure what the chances are of that at the moment, what with the publishing industry in the state it's in....

I will keep you up-to-date with any developments!

In the meantime, I'm REALLY looking forward to the Secret Life coming out!

Love
M
xx
Tara
I have pre-ordered, a first for me!
LuvBabyJane
Thanks for the Audio Clip & Prologue link John!....I am very excited about this book, I have'nt bought a book on Marilyn for some time now.....this book has really caught my attention though, I hope it will be as good as we all hope for! marilynbybrandon_190.gif

Roll On September! jumpymm.gif
LuvBabyJane
QUOTE(Tara @ Aug 21 2009, 12:08 PM) *
I have pre-ordered, a first for me!

Ooops!...double posting!...sorry unsure.gif

Just wanted to add....I could'nt resist Pre Ordering as well.... So excited jumpymm.gif
Tara
US publication today - let us know if you see it anywhere...
Mezzo
Ooh, ooh! I'll watch my mailbox! I wonder if it means Amazon will ship it to me so that it arrives today???

Thanks, Tara!

timetravelangel
QUOTE(Mezzo @ Aug 25 2009, 03:10 PM) *
Ooh, ooh! I'll watch my mailbox! I wonder if it means Amazon will ship it to me so that it arrives today???

Thanks, Tara!

Hi everyone,

I couldn't wait to read this book so I went ahead and bought the large print version through Book Depository via Amazon. It arrived yesterday and I read it overnight. I found it to be very respectful of both Marilyn's talent and simply of her as a human being. It doesn't rely on the gossip of persons who may or may not have been Marilyn's intimates - this is very refreshing. Also, something which always irritates me when reading a MM biography is a judgmental attitude or sometimes the sheer contempt which some authors have for her. I'm happy to report that I didn't detect a note of anything like that in this book.

!!! WARNING !!! POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD !!!

'The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe' makes the case that Marilyn suffered from the same illness which afflicted her biological mother, i.e. paranoid schizophrenia. It claims that by the 1960s she was taking Thorazine, an anti-psychotic medicine developed in the 1950s which is still in use today.

This book is more successful than any other biographies I have read in bringing to life Ida Bolender, Della Monroe, Grace Goddard and Gladys Baker. We all know Gladys was unwell for most of Marilyn's life, but this book drives home what a mammoth struggle maintaining a relationship with Gladys must have been and what a huge source of pain it became for Marilyn. And yet, still she persevered, hoping to be considered a good daughter in Gladys's eyes. For some reason which I can't quite articulate, the book does not fully convince me that Marilyn actually was a paranoid schizophrenic herself. Maybe because auditory hallucination can be caused by other conditions such as fever, extreme stress, manic-depression, substance abuse etc... In fact, if you look at when Marilyn is said to have perceived something which wasn't actually real it always follows a time of prolonged stress (e.g. Jim Dougherty making demands, the filming of The Asphalt Jungle, filming GPB etc...)

Well, it doesn't make any difference to me what psychiatric label you would put on MM (if indeed people should be labelled at all?) - the book's discussion of Marilyn's psychology serves to remind us what a triumph her career was and what a strong and remarkable person she must have been. This is the main reason I liked the book - it reminds me that Marilyn was a fighter and an inspirational woman. I would recommend it if you are interested in Marilyn's childhood, her family and her psychology. Other aspects, such as Marilyn's relationship with the Karger family, the Greene family, the Strasbergs, have been covered in more detail and depth by other authors.
Mezzo
I saw the book at my local Target store for $18.89. Quite naturally, I paged through the photo section. The book contains a "previously unpublished" photograph of Charles Stanley Gifford, which I found through a google search:
Click to view attachment
It also contains a rare photo of the Bolender family with their foster children.

SPOILER ALERT
Under the photo of Gifford, the caption states that Gifford's son, Charles. S. Gifford, Jr., says that he is in no way related to Marilyn Monroe. From the photo, I'd say Norma Jeane got his ears, among other features.

I'm a little sad that I pre-ordered it, but I hope the mailman will bring it to my house this afternoon.
Tara
'Previously unpublished' is a bit of a moot point these days - nearly every new picture I see is on the internet, and it's hard for traditional publishers to keep up. Great photo of Gifford though, I always think of it when I imagine the picture Norma Jeane had of him.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it Angel, thanks so much for the review. I look forward to reading it myself...
MarilynLivesSociety
I just can't wait to see this book. I ordered mine through Amazon.co.uk and so I'm now wondering when it will arrive. I really am looking forward to it. It's an exciting few months ahead - I have the new Madonna album to look forward to, this book and a new Agatha Christie biography too. Bliss!

Love
Michelle
Author - Marilyn Monroe Private and Undisclosed.
Tara
QUOTE(MarilynLivesSociety @ Aug 25 2009, 06:42 PM) *
I just can't wait to see this book. I ordered mine through Amazon.co.uk and so I'm now wondering when it will arrive. I really am looking forward to it. It's an exciting few months ahead - I have the new Madonna album to look forward to, this book and a new Agatha Christie biography too. Bliss!

Love
Michelle
Author - Marilyn Monroe Private and Undisclosed.

Same here - an expensive, but enjoyable time ahead! laugh.gif
LuvBabyJane
QUOTE(timetravelangel @ Aug 25 2009, 04:24 PM) *
Hi everyone,

I couldn't wait to read this book so I went ahead and bought the large print version through Book Depository via Amazon.

Hi Angel, I wondered about buying the Large Print version as my eye sight is not too good, I have Diabetes and my eyes seem to be deteriating somewhat!....Can I ask, is the Large print a large book as such?...I like to read in bed but sometimes I find the Large prints too heavy to hold or too big unsure.gif

Would like to know what you think....Thank you smile1.gif
abeautifulchild
WOW Mary, its already at Target here??! No way, maybe I'll check it out tonight! Oh gosh, I hope its there. I was going to order it online today, but now...

jumpymm.gif
Mezzo
QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Aug 25 2009, 06:45 PM) *
WOW Mary, its already at Target here??! No way, maybe I'll check it out tonight! Oh gosh, I hope its there. I was going to order it online today, but now...

jumpymm.gif

There were three hardcover copies at "my" Target in Shoreview, Minnesota. After the mailman failed to produce my copy from Amazon, my daughter (a clever child thumbup1.gif ) suggested I buy one from Target and return the new one once it arrives. I'll wait for mine, but I chuckled when she suggested it.
timetravelangel
QUOTE(LuvBabyJane @ Aug 25 2009, 08:43 PM) *
Hi Angel, I wondered about buying the Large Print version as my eye sight is not too good, I have Diabetes and my eyes seem to be deteriating somewhat!....Can I ask, is the Large print a large book as such?...I like to read in bed but sometimes I find the Large prints too heavy to hold or too big unsure.gif

Would like to know what you think....Thank you smile1.gif

Hi Lolly,

The book is a hefty tome - 954 pages and it weighs about a kilogram (2.2 lbs) and the spine of the book is 6cm. I read this book in bed too! A good book in bed is heaven isn't it? Obviously, the print is very clear and easy to read, as are the photo captions. I hope the info helps, best wishes, Angel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.