Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marilyn Moments
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
Bobby
In most Marilyn films, there are certain lines of hers that I rewind over and over again. It's often trivial and utterly unimportant words but sometimes I find her delivery of some insignificant lines just delightful. I think of them as 'Marilyn moments'. blush.gif

Not quite sure what I mean? I don't blame you! It's kinda hard to explain. Alright, here's an example: When the janitor first sees Marilyn in TSYI. He comes in, sees her feet and Richard has to confess that he does indeed have company. 'The Girl' pops her head up from behind the chair and simply says "Hi". I just love the wonderful way Marilyn says the word and I always hit the rewind button. It's not an important line at all but MM's delivery is just so adorable.

There's (at least) one from SLIH too. It's the scene right after Sugar meets 'Junior', when she's telling Josephine all about him. Sugar explains that Josephine will get to meet him that night because 'Junior' said he'll come to see them play, maybe. The way Marilyn tilts her head and says the 'maybe' is so child-like and charming. I love it biggrin.gif

I have loads of others; loads of moments in Marilyn's movies that are totally forgettable but which I always look out for. But I'll stop for now, in the hope someone else knows what I mean and can share theirs! My thinking is, each of us might point out little 'Marilyn Moments' that other members hadn't really acknowledged but will next time they watch the movie. Fingers crossed...
magda24
Know exactly what you mean, Bobby!I have many special Marilyn moments, in wich she emanates her special magic- just for me:)The two I can remember now are from- 7YI- when she raises her eyebrows on the stairs after "breaking" into Sherman's apartent ('We could do this whole summer"- don't remember the exact words but I love her smart, funny expression). The other one is in SLIH when she says "you see, not very bright" and points to her head.Also, I love how she drinks from her flask, with this quick, funny movement of her head and eyes closed.
princesshapnick
I know what you mean as well! She had such brilliant delivery of every line she said in every film, even the less important phrases. I too like the "Hi!" line in TSYI. It's such a cute delivery and extremely innocent-like! It's really hard to explain but I'm sure every true MM fan knows what we mean.

I have several favourite cute 'Marilyn Moments' in SLIH especially:
- the way she says "You're a real pal" to Jerry/Daphne is so cute
- the line "What is it?" when she asks about the big fish on the yacht as well
- and also the way she says: "Daphne! Cut it out!" when she's in the sea

They're all such simple lines but Marilyn makes them extra special, especially with her voice. rolleyes1.gif
Alanma
From the 'seduction' scene in TPATSG.
Not a spoken word, just Marilyn's wonderful facial expression when the Prince, leaving Elsie to serve herself while he talks on the 'phone, says to the person at the other end - '.....you can speak freely, there is no one here'.
Kowalczyk
All the ones mentioned so far biggrin.gif

Also:

"Yeah, REAL hot!"
"Bang, bang, bang, right in the head!"
Her little TPATS dance
When she plays with the kids in SGTG
lorileime
In GPB when they're in Paris and Mr. Esmond finds them working at the cafe. She says to Gus, "Well, you might come in for a minute." Then turing to Dorothy, "That's if you don't mind." It's not what she says, but the way she gives Dorothy that look of triumph after Gus passes through the doorway and she catches Dorothy eye. That's brilliant.
Bobby
I'm glad you were able to understand what I was talking about! So far this thread is really making me smile, remembering all the 'Marilyn Moments' mentioned.

Becky, I love the "You're a real pal" line too; I think it's the delightful half-whispering tone combined with Marilyn's beautiful smile biggrin.gif

I haven't noticed that look Tony but I'll definitely keep an eye out next time I watch GPB. Thanks!

From TPATS, of course the "Pretty good, huh?" line is a firm favourite - thanks largely to the little-known backstory (thank you Alan!). Oh and in TNBLSB, don't ya just love the way Vicky/Marilyn says "Check your hat, Sir!" blush.gif
Mezzo
In GPB, I love the moment where Lorelei enters the cabin and asks Dorothy, "Am I interrupting or is he leaving, one hopes?" The delivery is spot-on, and the look in Marilyn's eye is delicious.
Vicoria Hoffman 1975
I love the bit in The Prince and the showgirl where she is waving to her friends then Northbrook asks her not to!
Alanma
Especially Marilyn's delicious 'Oops, Sorry!' expression after Northbrook chides her.

Olivier once, in frustration after a row 'on set', described Marilyn as having 'the infuriatingly innocent face of a guilty five-year old'. One can see what he meant!

Nancy
Oh, Piggie!
MissCaswell
There are times when she is so adorable I don't know whether to laugh or cry, such as:

-Hollywood and Vine!! (Bus Stop)
-Miss Marina, won't you have some champagne? Oh, I don't know, your grand ducal, you really think I ought? Well, maybe just a sip, maybe just up to... ohhh! (Tpats - probably my all-time fave)
-Her smile when she tells Josephine (who is in the bathtub) about Junior, after she says "not one of those grabbers". Don't know why, but I fell for that particular smile the first time I saw slih.
-The way she laughs when Isabelle says she lost her wedding ring on her honey moon - so real, and so unlike the "blonde sex pot giggle" kind of laugh.

And also all other moments that have already been mentioned!
nicky62
SLIH = "If my mother could see me now" to Dafne
Misfits = " You like me huh?" to Clark
TPATSG = Evertime she mentions Nicky jejejej I always pretend its to me she says it especially when she talks about the birthday
Hi in her movies
these are some of my faves later I will add more
hugs to all
Nicky62
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(MissCaswell @ Oct 29 2008, 07:22 PM) *
There are times when she is so adorable I don't know whether to laugh or cry, such as:

-Hollywood and Vine!! (Bus Stop)
-Miss Marina, won't you have some champagne? Oh, I don't know, your grand ducal, you really think I ought? Well, maybe just a sip, maybe just up to... ohhh! (Tpats - probably my all-time fave)
-Her smile when she tells Josephine (who is in the bathtub) about Junior, after she says "not one of those grabbers". Don't know why, but I fell for that particular smile the first time I saw slih.
-The way she laughs when Isabelle says she lost her wedding ring on her honey moon - so real, and so unlike the "blonde sex pot giggle" kind of laugh.

And also all other moments that have already been mentioned!

Oh my god, yes. throb.gif
Kowalczyk
QUOTE(jemaniac @ Oct 29 2008, 08:29 PM) *
Oh, Piggie!

Yes!!

I forgot my favourite one, after Daphne saves her from being chucked off the train with the whole liquor thing, I love her cheeky little grin at him. biggrin.gif
abeautifulchild
What about "Goodnight, honey!" from SLIH?!
It's my favorite!-- I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.
Bobby
Oh absolutely. I love that!

One from Monkey Business; when Barnaby and Miss Laurel are roller-skating, she turns to him and shouts "Careful!" and pulls this face that is somewhere between confusion and concern, it's adorable.
Kowalczyk
Oh, and when Cherie is singing Black Magic and she gives Bo that wink and that grin - I've mentioned it before I think but I LOVE that bit.
magda24
I also adore her more sultry/melancholic/sinister look she has during the whole Kiss scene in Niagara, especially the look she gaves after the show her husband gave with the vinyl.And when the guy askes her to dance, she says "Better not" in a way that gives you impression that behind those two words someting deep and dark is hiding. Don't know how to explain it but it's so femme-fatale!
MissCaswell
I love her femme fatale moments in Niagara too! The first time I saw it I was taken aback by the look hon her face in the very beginning of the film, when she's been pretending to be asleep and she shots her husband a look and a wry little smile before turning on the other side. And I love the look on her face after she finishes the phone call to her lover - it's triumphant, like she knows she's got both men wrapped around her little finger.
Paju
One that immediately comes to my mind is her monologue in Seven Year Itch when she's thinking about how to keep cool in her apartment, and thinking even soaking her sheets on ice water... "No, that's too icky!" Her facial expression says it all laughing.gif
Bobby
Good shout Sirrku! That one is definitely a favourite of mine too.

Another utterly missable one here...It's when Pola is sat with Freddie Denmark on the plane in HTMAM, when he finds out she wears glasses and is urging her to put them on. He says to Pola "You have them with you don't ya?" and Marilyn/Pola simply says "yes". I find the way she says it just lovely but I'm not quite sure why. Look out for it next time anyway thumbup1.gif

dwane
i just watched TPATS again over the weekend and am still awed by how many cute lines she had, i would have watched the whole movie over again if i could have haha.
Bobby
QUOTE(dwane @ Nov 18 2008, 09:48 PM) *
i just watched TPATS again over the weekend and am still awed by how many cute lines she had, i would have watched the whole movie over again if i could have haha.

"Is it alright over the you-know-what?"

biggrin.gif
Kowalczyk
This one quoted from the LML thread (sorry I can't remember who I quoted it from...)

I loved her hair, especially when it falls down over her eyes at one point in 'Daddy', so adorable

And just generally I've noticed something she does when she smiles: she begins to smile, like a big grin and then she stops, or remembers she has to cover her gum line or something, and she brings her smile back and her mouth quivers before she smiles again. I'm sorry I can't explain it better but i find this one of the cutest things she does, this and the licking-her-top-lip thing.
mmmMarilyn
I could have sworn I posted in this thread!

The first one that comes to mind is when she's playing Chopsticks with Tom Ewell in The Seven Year Itch and she says that music really gets her ("and how!") and the way he starts playing but she has to put her champagne glass down and then look from where he is in the song to her place on the keys back to him--it is a little head movement she does to catch herself up to him, her little hair flip is bouncing and it is SO. CUTE. I love it every time--and then we she says she feels the goose pimples from that kind of music, and he says "GOOSE PIMPLES?" and she shakes her head and says "UH HUH!!!" haha, it is SO precious!
Bobby
I'll look out for those next time I watch SYI. Thanks Colby!

I've another to add. From LML; near the end of the picture, in the dressing room, when Amanda doesn't know if Clement is Clement or not. After a passionate embrace she asks him to tell her, once and for all, who he is. He of course says that he is Jean-Marc Clement and Amanda/Marilyn exclaims "Now look, enough's enough Alexander!" It's so wonderfully gorgeous blush.gif
princesshapnick
I love how Sugar says: "Oh, I've got sun tan lotion!" in SLIH. And how Daphne replies: "See, she'll rub it on me, I'll rub it on her, we'll...rub it on each other!" MM's expression throughout that little part was really good! It's as if she knows something maybe as Daphne says that... coolio.gif
purple people-eater
"Which way is the Los Angeles bus?" when Cherie is running from Beau in Bus Stop.
That's my fave.
Scottish Sugar
One of my all time favourite "Marilyn bits" in a movie HAS to be this scene from 'How To Marry A Millionaire":

Pola: "You know who I'd like to marry?"
Loco: "Who?"
Pola: "Rockerfella"
Loco: "Which one?"
Pola: "I don't care!"

It's the way she says "I don't care" is SO adorable! I've started to say that phrase in that way too.

xxx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.