Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: But That's Another Story
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Pages: 1, 2
Lacrymosa
Click to view attachment

Unfortunately it's not a book only about Marilyn but I think it could be a good one... I'll buy it only for the cover ! throb.gif

A Photographic Retrospective of Milton H. Greene

A privileged witness to the glamorous spirit of the 1950s and 60s, Milton H. Greene photographed the greatest artists, actors, and personalities of the twentieth century, including Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, Grace Kelly, Marlene Dietrich, Sammy Davis Jr., Elizabeth Taylor, Cary Grant, Sophia Loren, Groucho Marx, Audrey Hepburn, Andy Warhol, Judy Garland, Alberto Giacometti, Lauren Hutton, Alfred Hitchcock, Sir Laurence Olivier, Ava Gardner, Steve McQueen, Claudia Cardinale, Paul Newman, Lauren Bacall, Dizzy Gillespie, and Catherine Deneuve, amongst countless others. Renowned for his fashion photographs, Greene perfectly captured the fantasy, elegance, and beauty of his models, for which he secured assignments from major national publications and prestigious advertising clients.

But That's Another Story: A Photographic Retrospective of Milton H. Greene reproduces, in their original clarity and integrity, pictures that have been largely unavailable since Greene's death in 1985. Organized thematically, it features both the widely published fashion and celebrity series (including the campaign Greene shot for American Airlines in the 1950s) and some intimate backstage candids. A whole chapter is dedicated to photos of Marilyn Monroe, where some of her most iconic portraits mix with private moments from her life. Ultimately, Greene's photography invites us back to an era when film and fashion, art and style were at their highest.

More here : http://www.powerhousebooks.com/book/424
Tara
As a Milton Greene fan I'm definitely interested in this book, it looks great. Not cheap though - I'll add it to my wishlist wink3.gif
~TheGirl~
O this book looks gorgeous! He was such a talented photographer. His Marilyn photos are just perfection i also love his photos of Grace Kelly, Ava Gardner and Judy Garland.
Paju
That sounds like a very interesting book. Among the people he photographed there are others than Marilyn that interest me as well - Sophia Loren, Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Catherine Deneuve... Maybe I'll get this book someday.
~TheGirl~
I added it to my growing wish list lol!
Joan Newman
Me too. I love Milton and can't wait to see and read more about him, not just about his relationship with Marilyn.
chris
I've just received this great great book this morning
There is a box with 2 pictures of Marilyn front and back side
then the book itself without pictures of Marilyn on the cover but with 40 pages about her with great pictures, some known and 2 or 3 really rare
It's a big size book 29x33 cm
Chris
Lacrymosa
Thanks Chris.

Could someone merge the topics ?
http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/ind...showtopic=14659
Tara
Your wish is my command Anais! htmamillion_200.gif

Chris, thanks for the photos - what is the text like? Any new info on Marilyn?

Monroestar
QUOTE(chris @ Nov 18 2008, 08:21 AM) *
I've just received this great great book this morning
There is a box with 2 pictures of Marilyn front and back side
then the book itself without pictures of Marilyn on the cover but with 40 pages about her with great pictures, some known and 2 or 3 really rare
It's a big size book 29x33 cm
Chris

Did you buy a signed copy??
Paju
For some reason this book is climbing up and up on my wishlist - somehow it just seems like a very intrigueing book. I'd love to get it, as well as a couple of other books that have a lot of Marilyn but aren't strictly "Marilyn books".
nathalie
Thanks, Chris....
Paju
Chris (or someone who has the book): which other celebrities besides MM have their photos featured in this book? I'd love to have a complete list as this will affect my decision on whether to buy it or not.
Lacrymosa
I'd love to know too !
LuvBabyJane
Me too!!....I keep checking back here for any updates on this book but none as yet unsure.gif
Paju
By the way, Powerhouse Books listed the price being $75. The price on Amazon.com is $47,25 (about 36,60 euros) and on Amazon.co.uk it's 29,25 (about 34,90 euros) smile1.gif
Tara
A slideshow of images from the book can be seen here. Some stunning photos...

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/features/2...de=10#globalNav
Lacrymosa
Thank you Tara ! that makes me want to buy it... I'd just like to know if the pics quality is good and if they're not too small...
Paju
Thanks for the link Tara! The photographs look as amazing as I expected smile1.gif Now I just hope to find out more about a) who are featured in the book and how extensively, and b) as Anas said, the quality and the size of the pictures.

An interesting note to those living near NY: There's apparently an exhibit in Brooklyn featuring Milton's photos - same ones that are in this book. Here's something from NY Art Beat.

And for anyone and everyone: an article from wowowow.com as well as wowowow.com's interview with Amy Greene about the book and Marilyn!
Monroestar
http://www.thearchivesstore.com/btas-book.html
LuvBabyJane
I am so in two minds about this book!....to buy, or not to buy, lol! unsure.gif

But, it's the pull of the Marilyn photo's that are tempting me so much and the book itself looks so lovely! thumbup1.gif

Has anyone here bought this book yet?.....we need a personal review here, mmm, so tempting me with my credit card drool.gif Resisit I must!....Got so much to pay out before Xmas!! newyear.gif
chris
Gene Kelly
Catherine Deneuve
Marlene Dietrich
Romy Schneider
Ava Gardner
Audrey Hepburn
Liz Taylor
Jane Fonda
Candice Bergen
Farah Fawcett
Nancy Sinatra
Grace Kelly
and some others
chris

Paju
Ooh, Gene Kelly, Romy Schneider, Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly! biggrin.gif Sounds good.
Lacrymosa
Gene Kelly throb.gif

Chris, could we have some more information about the pictures quality and size ?
Thank you marilynbybrandon_190.gif
chris
For Gene Kelly ?
2 pages with pictures full page (2 photos pleine page couleur)
Big size and great quality
Chris
Lacrymosa
I was talking about the entire book actually, and especially the MM pics wink3.gif
MMcamera
It is a good quality book. Huge size and most of the photos are full pages or spread over 2 pages. I never realized Milton took so many great photos. I was expecting more text but it is really a photo book. There are a few tidbits where Amy talks about Marilyn which I enjoyed. A lot of the text is quotes from the people in the photos about working with Milton . I enjoyed it overall and it made me appreciate Milton more.

I don't want to jinx it but let's just say that the next podcast will have something to do with this book.....so stay tuned smile1.gif
chris
Rare quality for the pictures but for Marilyn not really rare ones except maybe 2 pictures
But the book is very good and very pretty
Chris
Paju
Thank you Chris and Melinda smile1.gif You got me convinced that I have to get this book. There's just something about Milton's photos - I'd like to see more, even non-Marilyn photos, because he took pictures of such interesting people. And I like the fact that it's a photo book, not too much text. I like text, but sometimes it's better to let the pictures to speak for themselves.

What about Sophia Loren? Are there any pictures of her?
Tara
QUOTE(Paju @ Dec 6 2008, 08:52 AM) *
What about Sophia Loren? Are there any pictures of her?

This photo of Sophia is included in previews of the book, I think it's stunning. I definitely want to get this book, maybe not right away but I will buy it eventually! Milton Greene was such a great photographer, one of the very best.
Paju
Thanks Tara! I find Sophia to be one of the most gorgeous women ever.

I think this book will be my Christmas or birthday present to myself smile1.gif
chris
About Sophia Loren
4 pages with incredible pretty pictures
One with one of her son absolutely stunning
Chris
Paju
Thank you Chris!

Unfortunately I found out that they can't ship it to me before Christmas. Oh well, I'll get it after Christmas then.
Paju
Yay! I just found this book on The Book Depository, and not only they have free worldwide shipping but I will also get it for Christmas! newyear.gif
I've ordered from The Book Depository before, and they're good. Like I said, the shipping is free, and their prices are usually very reasonable. I think their price for this book was the lowest I've seen (33,55). This will be my Christmas / birthday present for myself, for working so hard this fall!
LuvBabyJane
QUOTE(Paju @ Dec 14 2008, 02:40 PM) *
Yay! I just found this book on The Book Depository, and not only they have free worldwide shipping but I will also get it for Christmas! newyear.gif
I've ordered from The Book Depository before, and they're good. Like I said, the shipping is free, and their prices are usually very reasonable. I think their price for this book was the lowest I've seen (33,55). This will be my Christmas / birthday present for myself, for working so hard this fall!

That's great news Sirkku! jumpymm.gif

I have ordered from the The Book Depository before too and they are a good company. I have my book ordered at my local Waterstones, should be here this week!....Mind you it is a bit more money at 45! Hope the book is worth the wait and money!! marilynbybrandon_190.gif

Happy Xmas newyear.gif
Paju
QUOTE(LuvBabyJane @ Dec 14 2008, 04:27 PM) *
That's great news Sirkku! jumpymm.gif

I have ordered from the The Book Depository before too and they are a good company. I have my book ordered at my local Waterstones, should be here this week!....Mind you it is a bit more money at 45! Hope the book is worth the wait and money!! marilynbybrandon_190.gif

Happy Xmas newyear.gif

Great news for you too! I'm pretty sure it's worth the wait and the money (even if it is 45). Let's post reviews after reading it smile1.gif
Merry Christmas to you too newyear.gif
Paju
Turns out I won't be getting it for Christmas. Today was the last day they carry mail before Christmas and it didn't arrive. I sent an email to Book Depository and let them know what happened. I'm glad I didn't intend it as a Christmas present for anyone else but myself. Still, I'm a bit disappointed.
But I suppose it will arrive for my birthday then.
LuvBabyJane
QUOTE(Paju @ Dec 23 2008, 09:31 AM) *
Turns out I won't be getting it for Christmas. Today was the last day they carry mail before Christmas and it didn't arrive. I sent an email to Book Depository and let them know what happened. I'm glad I didn't intend it as a Christmas present for anyone else but myself. Still, I'm a bit disappointed.
But I suppose it will arrive for my birthday then.

Awww! Sorry to hear that Sirkku upset.gif

Mine is at the book shop but I don't have the money to collect it untill the 6th Jan! Oh well, lets look on the bright side, at least gives us something to look forward to after Xmas hug.gif
jily
i ordered my copy in november thru barnes and noble $68.00
i havent received it yet
ive emailed b & n to find out what's going on
no reply as yet

Jilly
Tiina
Woo, I went shopping today and saw this book at Stockmann. It's a HUGE book! I love the cover. Too bad it was stuck in its "folder" so I couldn't browse trough any of the pages crybaby.gif Be sure to let us know what you think of it when your book arrives Sirkku! marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Paju
It arrived, finally! biggrin.gif I absolutely love it - it's a gorgeous book. Very high quality, interesting information and photography so unique and beautiful that I'm still stunned.
Tiina, how much did it cost at Stockmann?
Tiina
I didn't look, sorry blush.gif
Paju
No problem, I was just interested in the difference between the price at Stockmann and the price I paid wink3.gif

But I definitely recommend this book if you like Milton Greene's photography. And you have to remember that it's not all about Marilyn. The photographs are just so gorgeous - among my favorites are the first picture of Sophia in the book, and a picture of Barbra Streisand where she looks like royalty. I haven't reached the Marilyn photos yet, but I'm sure I'll love them as well.
Tara
So glad it has arrived and that you love it so far Sirkku!
Paju
I happened to go to Akateeminen today and since I noticed they had it, I wanted to check the price. I paid about 37 euros for my book, which I ordered from The Book Depository. The price at Akateeminen was 102 euros!
Tara
I just ordered a used copy from Amazon - 20 including postage, a bargain - couldn't let it go!
Paju
That's really a bargain! I'm sure you'll love the photos Tara smile1.gif
nicky62
Hi guys can someone scan the MM images?
Nicky62
Tara
My book arrived today - a dent in the box which I expected, but nothing to worry about. Beautiful, especially the MM section. Marilyn aside, I think my favourites are of Judy Garland. Milton was so incredibly talented and seemed to bring out the best in people - and of course, he found his dream model in Marilyn. I look forward to reading it more closely later on.
Joan Newman
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=6326877

Wow!! Watch Amy and Joshua on video about the book !!

I love these from Milton's website
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.