Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F999 - Marilyn's Unique Actress/publicity Designation At 20th Century Fox
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
LasseK
A few months back I decided to look into the various numberings that you encounter on Marilyn photos. Strangely enough I haven't come across any explanation of these numbers anywhere else, why I guess that you will be as pleased by this post as I was in finding it out.

This topic deals with one in particular, one which you all have seen, but maybe not yet have fully understood the meaning of.
Namely this one Click to view attachment - the "F999-" numbers.

(I will post on some other numbering systems regarding Marilyn pictures in other threads later. For instance publicity pictures for each film, basically shots of scenes from the picture or maybe backstage, were numbered by the film's unique publicity designation. More on this later.)

By sampling all my MM photos bearing the F999-designation and looking at pictures of other film stars at various film studios, I soon realized:
"F999" simply and actually means Marilyn's unique (actress/publicity) designation at Fox!
From the very beginning to the end.

The "F" means Fox (for instance Paramount studios used "P"), "999" is the unique (actress/publicity) number Marilyn got when she signed or when Fox started releasing publicity pictures of her. (What the middle "s" stands for, I am not sure.)

So, somewhere there may be a "F999-s-1" photo of Marilyn, but I haven't seen it and it would be great to find out which the first one was.

All this is of course a great find to us and any collector. By arranging these numbered photos in order we will have yet another means of dating shoots and pictures.

The earliest F999s that I have so far are these:
F999-s-22 and F999-s-23
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

The following ones are from various outdoor shoots ranging from F999-s-41 to F999-s-82.
(You'll find the corresponding numbers in the file names, where you will also notice that I've added a "0" to the last number, like in "F999-s-022" - that's just because this makes the pictures get sorted in the right order in my folders.)

Click to view attachment

(The ES-page froze on me while uploading pics, I hope the ones I alreday did come through. Till later)

I have to stop here for now. Please add a post and I will continue.

Lasse
MissCaswell
That's so cool! Now I will have to start looking through my folders for that number. Thank you for doing the research!
LasseK
Thanks, Erica.

The following ones, ranging from F999-s-87 to F999-s-96, are from the Sorell and the Baby Sitter shoot.

Click to view attachment

These are from F999-s-103 up to F999-s-108 on the Fox lot.

This is F999-s-111.

Click to view attachment

F999-s-120.
Click to view attachment

F999-s-128.
Click to view attachment

Golf pictures in different outfits from F999-s-133 to F999-s-136.
Click to view attachment

Finally for now, from the Sailor hat shoot, F999-s-142.
Click to view attachment

These represent all 1940s F999:s (before the All About Eve publicity pictures) that I have found so far.
(There are of course many other non-F999 Marilyn publicity pictures from the 1940s from non-Fox films. I will post on these later in other threads.)

I guess most of you, just like me, will have a number of other pictures belonging to the various shoots above. However I have only posted the ones with clear and readable numbers.

If you've got more F999:s from the 1940s or in better quality, please post.

I will get back to you later with what I have of F999:s from the 1950s.

Lasse
BoAlex
Thanks, Lasse, it helps a lot. clapping.gif
Lacrymosa
Thank you Lasse ! clapping.gif
Mezzo
Lasse, I don't know if you already have this photo, but I found this reference on the internet:
290. Marilyn Monroe Portrait from Theres No Business Like

Show Business (20th Century-Fox, 1954) Gelatin silver glossy 8 in. x 10

in. print of Marilyn Monroe. Portrait number P999-S-424 imprinted in

negative by hand on the recto border lower right.

This is a link to the catalog. The picture is item #290, on page 15 of 48. The picture is not very good quality, so I hope you already have a better one. bye1.gif
http://www.profilesinhistory.com/catalogs/...32_49-96web.pdf

LasseK
QUOTE(Mezzo @ Aug 26 2008, 01:37 PM) *
Lasse, I don't know if you already have this photo, but I found this reference on the internet:
290. Marilyn Monroe Portrait from Theres No Business Like

Show Business (20th Century-Fox, 1954) Gelatin silver glossy 8 in. x 10

in. print of Marilyn Monroe. Portrait number P999-S-424 imprinted in

negative by hand on the recto border lower right.
This is a link to the catalog. The picture is item #290, on page 15 of 48. The picture is not very good quality, so I hope you already have a better one. bye1.gif
http://www.profilesinhistory.com/catalogs/...32_49-96web.pdf

Thanks Mary, I do have that picture and will post it when I get to the 1950s F999:s.
They have misread it - its not "P999-", its "F999-".

Thanks anyway. It's a great catalogue.

Lasse
Mezzo
You're welcome! I'm glad that you have a bigger, better quality picture. This one was pretty grainy, from what I could see. Here's a better link to that photo and others of Marilyn: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5467358
suusmarie
Wonderful thumbup.gif ! Thanks clapping.gif !
abeautifulchild
Lasse, as always you are truly incredible! marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Thank you yet again.
LasseK
Correction!

In an earlier post, regarding for instance a number like "F999-s-134". I said:
"The "F" means Fox (for instance Paramount studios used "P") "

It seems I was mistaken. Look at these:

These are 20th Century Fox publicity numbers for Hildegard Neff and Jayne Mansfield.
Both actresses got their Fox contracts much later than Marilyn, in the early 1950s.

As you can see, Neff's picture reads "G127-s-28" and Jayne's reads "G232-s-33".

By this I conclude that the "F" actually doesn't refer to "Fox" but simply is part of an alphabetical system used for the register of Fox actors/actresses. Marilyn simply got the "F999-" and after that, instead of going "F1000-" etc, they went to "G..." etc..

Now, I haven't had the time and opportunity to check out this theory on earlier Fox' film stars, like if there actually are any "A...", "B..." etc. actors/actresses.

(An alternate explanation could be that the "F" oiriginally stood for "Fox", but (only) at the end of the run of the first thousand actors/actresses (Marilyn's "F999-"), they decided to make it alphabetical by introducing the "G-" series, if you see what I mean.)

Lasse
Lacrymosa
Thank you Lasse. I was pretty sure too that the "F" meant Fox... since I've seen pictures of other actresses that were numbered, and where for example "MG" refered to MGM and "P" to Paramount.
I'm browsing through my files and will let you know if I find Fox pictures with another letter...

[size="3"][/size]
Lacrymosa
Here is what I've found so far :

The lowest number I've found is "F6", which was used for Shirley Temple :
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

She got her contract with Fox in 1933.

The thing I don't really know is if the numbers were attributed in chronogical order. For example, Tyrone Power's number was "F266". He was signed in 1936. Whereas Alice Faye's number was "F15" and she was signed in 1935.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I am more confused than before ! laugh.gif If it's not chronological, how did they choose the number ?
But I think you can be right Lasse when you say that the "G" came when they didn't have anymore "F"' left.
I haven't found yet pictures with another letter.
dazzledent
Interesting.

My suggestions -I think Shirley Temple signed with Fox at age 6. Alice Faye was born in 1915.
Tyrone Power is more tricky...his sister was born on the 26th... ??? Maybe it was quite a random system?

suusmarie
Just found these ones on Ebay coolio.gif
mmmMarilyn
AMAZINGGGGG, Gorgeous!!!
jennie2000
This is a great thread, thank you Lasse, it helps sorting some pictures out thumbup1.gif But what could C stand for?
It's not publicity for (Columbia) but MGM? And I don't think it's the initial of the photographer...

suusmarie
thumbup1.gif
LasseK
QUOTE(jennie2000 @ Jan 26 2010, 01:54 AM) *
This is a great thread, thank you Lasse, it helps sorting some pictures out thumbup1.gif But what could C stand for?
It's not publicity for (Columbia) but MGM? And I don't think it's the initial of the photographer...

I don't know what the C exactly refers to. But the 1479 is the number for the film "Asphalt Jungle". I have publicity pictures both with C1479-, S1479- and with no letters at all, just plain 1479-.

All Marilyn (solo) publicity pictures are C1479- and so far I haven't seen any "C"-pictures of anyone else.

All "S"-pictures that I have are studio publicity pictures of Marilyn together with someone else from the cast.

All "no letter"-1479- pictures seem so far to be of scenes from the picture.

Lasse
hollywoodcinderella
This is a fantastic thread - very useful! thanks a bunch! smile1.gif
LasseK
QUOTE(Harald Haefker @ Feb 3 2010, 05:00 PM) *
These numbers are not in chronological order when there were photographed, or ?
bye1.gif

Thanks Harald, and everyone who keeps adding to the thread.

No, Harald, they are not numbered in strict chronlogical order. I am still and continually working on this series and have found that pictures and additions from earlier shoots sometimes were published quite some time after the actual date of the shoot.

Also, the press would of course freely use earlier photos as publicity for various film releases or reruns of films, or to illustrate whatever Marilyn stories they'd run.

Lasse
hollywoodcinderella
I found a few more posted in other threads.... so credit to them:)

447,448 and 524

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jennie2000
QUOTE(Emma @ Mar 22 2010, 10:05 AM) *
I found this one but it's not a F on the pic , it's not a publicity photo of the fox .
Click to view attachment

It's publicity for Love Happy (LH), I have no idea what the rest of the code stands for balloon.gif
Emma
I know it's from' Love happy' ... for the rest of the code i supposed that there are key-set numbers and portrait numbers(the fox had for the portraits numbers: f999...), I read that on description of picture's fox in auctions...
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jennie2000
QUOTE(Emma @ Mar 22 2010, 02:12 PM) *
I know it's from' Love happy' ...

So why didn't you say so, or I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to help you rolleyes1.gif
Emma

i put a '?' when i ask a question , and i say please and thank you in advance cheekkiss.gif sorry so much for your time wasted ...
jennie2000
Deleted post
-I don't wish to get into an argument with this idiot
LasseK
QUOTE(jennie2000 @ Mar 22 2010, 05:26 PM) *
Deleted post
-I don't wish to get into an argument with this idiot

Watch your language, Jennie!

I'm very sorry to have to say this, but the idiot in this case is you, Jennie, not Emma.

Emma is good and friendly member of this community who deserves be treated with respect just like everybody else.

Your comment is way out of line and not acceptable.

Lasse
suusmarie
Thanks for your photos Emma clapping.gif .
Emma
You're welcome suusmarie bye1.gif
Tara
Yes thanks Emma for sharing, and I'm sorry this thread got a little off track for a while. Misunderstandings do happen occasionally, and especially online. Let's just all stay on-topic and respectful!

throb.gif
xander24
I have an f999/s/379 and a 889/s/50 Marilyn photos.
xander24
QUOTE(Emma @ Mar 22 2010, 05:05 AM) *

I have a f999-s-379 and noticed you have a f999-s380. Do u have any idea what it is worth?
suusmarie
F999-s-466 thumbup1.gif
Stacy
F999-S-367; F999 S 365; F999 S 459; F999 S 389; Key Book No. A-3827; Love Happy No. LH-9-129
Stacy
F999 MM 3; F999 S 203; F999 S 303; F999 S 307; F999 S 309; F999 S 314; F999 S 231; F999 S 397; F999 S 474; a bit larger, F999 S 26 & F999 S 33
suusmarie
Wonderful, thanks clapping.gif
Stacy
marilynbybrandon_190.gif
suusmarie
I didn't have that one yet Stacy, thanks thumbup1.gif .

Some related ones...
Joan Newman
clapping.gif mf_w00t1.gif Love that last one.
Stacy
can't quite make out the publicity number at the bottom
suusmarie
thumbup1.gif
msjobean
Hi everyone

Here are some of the F999 pictures I have come across.

Have a great day
joBean
msjobean
Hi Everyone

Here are some more F999 numbers I found looking through the pictures I have gathered from here, there and everywhere smile1.gif

Have a good day.

msjobean

suusmarie
Thanks clapping.gif
msjobean
Hi everyone

I found a few more smile1.gif

msjobean
msjobean
Good morning everyone!

I found more marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Unfortunately two have watermarks.

Enjoy
msjobean
Joan Newman
Thank you msjobean thumbup1.gif 3 of those are new to me.
msjobean
QUOTE(Joan Newman @ Sep 16 2015, 11:41 AM) *
Thank you msjobean thumbup1.gif 3 of those are new to me.

Oh! That's wonderful to know! You all have some amazing pictures and I was worried I really had nothing new to contribute. msjobean
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.