Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marilyn's Opinions Of Her Movies
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
Bobby
In different books and interviews, I've read some quotations from Marilyn regarding her own films and I thought we could have a thread to share them and where they originate from.

It's widely reported that she regarded The Asphalt Jungle as her best performance. She said as much to George Barris according to his book 'Her Life in her Own Words'. In the same book Marilyn slams Let's Make Love, saying her character had no depth and that hers was barely a part at all. She also states that she was disappointed with The Misfits because, although John Huston was "a genius", she felt he tinkered with Arthur Miller's script too much.

I have read too, that Marilyn disliked River of no Return. According to Richard Buskin's 'The Films of Marilyn Monroe', she described it as a "'Z' grade cowboy movie in which the acting finishes third to the scenery and cinemascope."

I can't find the exact quote but I do recall reading that, of Ladies of the Chorus, MM stated that everything about the film was amateur and generally awful. Again though, I can't remember the precise wording she used.

Does anybody have more? blush.gif
Vicoria Hoffman 1975
I think she wasnt all that keen on 'Some like it hot' either. Something to do with the character being so dim-witted she couldnt tell that her friends were men dressed up.

I also read that she was unhappy at being paired with Donald O'Connor in 'Theres no business like showbusiness' as he looked too young to be believable and wasnt keen on the film in general. She also complained that she dii the 'Heat wave' number the way they told her to do it and she was the one who ended upgetting the hate mail. (however some of this came from Lena Pepitone so may not be reliable)
dwane
her "breakdown scene" in DBTK was one of her favorite performances.
Tara
She was annoyed that her big speech in Bus Stop was cut, according to Josh Logan. She felt that it cost her an Oscar nomination - so she must have known her performance was good. She told this to Yves Montand as well.

During filming of The Misfits, she told WJ Weatherby that she had reached a crossroads in comedy with Some Like It Hot (and hoped to reach a dramatic crossroads with The Misfits.)

She also told Weatherby that she loved working with Charles Laughton on O Henry's Full House, and rumour has it they discussed collaborating again. What a shame they never did.

She asked Berniece Miracle if she liked her performance in DBTK. Berniece said it was good but very different from the Marilyn she knew. Marilyn saw this as a compliment on her acting ability. She was also pleased that Berniece liked Monkey Business.

Shelley Winters said Marilyn was glad to win a part in Clash By Night. She prepared for the role of Peggy by studying with Michael Chekhov (as well as line readings with Natasha.) Long before her Actor's Studio days, she got into character by borrowing an engagement ring from the wardrobe lady. However she felt intimidated in her scenes with Barbara Stanwyck. Jane Russell was also filming at RKO, and Nick Ray asked her to look out for Marilyn.

Truman Capote said that Marilyn did not like Niagara, she thought it was a 'stinker'. She didn't mention how she felt about her own performance though.

After she filmed her big speech in The Seven Year Itch, cast and crew applauded her.

After seeing the first cut of The Prince And The Showgirl, she wrote to Jack Warner that the coronation scene was too long.

She must have liked working with director Jean Negulesco on HTMAM, because he was mooted to direct SGTG after George Cukor's version was abandoned. She also discussed a musical project with GPB composer Jule Styne in 1962.

My feeling is that for all her insecurities, Marilyn had more confidence in her ability than might be thought. But I think she felt pressured to prove herself and was sometimes unhappy with scripts and direction, and this coloured her view of her own performance and the film in general. Like all true artists, she was a perfectionist and never satisfied.

Bobby
Thank you for typing out that post Tara thumbup1.gif

Incidentally, is there any information known about the 'speech' that was cut from BS?
Mezzo
from loreleime in the Bus Stop discussion here are e-s:

"I once read that Marilyn herself was incensed at the fact that the 'I wanna man" scene was cut short and that not only the character was cut down in breath and scope, buy her performance was pratcially wrecked by the way the final scene was edited and shown. I would love to see the extra footage that she was so proud of. She thought that if that scene would have been left intact, it would have, at least, given her a chance at a nomination. For me, I think a nomination would have been justified anyway."

I just read in one of the books in my collection that Joshua Logan fought to keep Marilyn's soliloquy in the film, but that it was cut due to the film's length. I also read that she never forgave him for not ensuring that it remained in the film in its complete form.

MissCaswell
I read a quote by Simone Signoret saying that Marilyn kept talking about that Russell/Bow/Harlow/Bara/Dietrich shoot she did with Avedon "the way other actors talk about their acting. It was as if she had no other happy working memories", or something like that.
princesshapnick
I once read that Marilyn did not, at first, want to do the role of Sugar in Some Like It Hot, because it was another dumb blonde role and she felt that it would be her "dumbest character" to not notice that her two 'girl' best friends were really men in drag. But Marilyn really appreciated the great humour in the script and story so she changed her mind and became Sugar Kane.

And she obviously liked the idea of doing The Seven Year Itch in the movies - especially having to go through There's No Business Like Show Business in order to get the part of The Girl!

coolio.gif
Mezzo
I have also read that Arthur encouraged Marilyn to accept the role of Sugar because they needed the money.
Mezzo
Incidentally, is there any information known about the 'speech' that was cut from BS?
[/quote]

Bobby, here is some information about the scene in The Bad and the Beautiful by Sam Kashner and Jennifer MacNair:

"And the one scene Monroe was truly proud of was cut from the film. In it, everyone but Cherie and another woman has fallen asleep on the bus late at night. Cherie confides in the woman about her past, her dreams for the future, what she wants in a man. Monroe had always struggled to memorize long passages of dialogue, and it took two days of intense shooting, with Logan coaxing all the way, to complete the scene. When she finished, though, Monroe felt she had finally performed well in a long, serious soliloquy. Logan, too, was thrilled. He fought to keep the speech in the film but executives at Fox overruled him, saying it didn't advance the plot. Monroe was furious and hurt when she learned Bus Stop would be released without the scene. She never forgave Logan, who she believed had betrayed her, and had never really believed in her talent."

With regard to William Inge, the author of the play Bus Stop:

"He also struck up a friendship with Marilyn Monroe, who was drawn to Inge's intelligence and creativity. The fact that he was not interested in her sexually also seemed to give their relationship a kind of tenderness it might have lacked otherwise. Inge and Monroe would occasionally be linked in the media during the mid-1950s, but their interest in each other was purely platonic."
Kowalczyk
Oh, I feel terrible Marilyn's speech was cut.
Bobby
QUOTE(Mezzo @ Aug 28 2008, 05:13 PM) *
Bobby, here is some information about the scene in The Bad and the Beautiful by Sam Kashner and Jennifer MacNair:

"And the one scene Monroe was truly proud of was cut from the film. In it, everyone but Cherie and another woman has fallen asleep on the bus late at night. Cherie confides in the woman about her past, her dreams for the future, what she wants in a man. Monroe had always struggled to memorize long passages of dialogue, and it took two days of intense shooting, with Logan coaxing all the way, to complete the scene. When she finished, though, Monroe felt she had finally performed well in a long, serious soliloquy. Logan, too, was thrilled. He fought to keep the speech in the film but executives at Fox overruled him, saying it didn't advance the plot. Monroe was furious and hurt when she learned Bus Stop would be released without the scene. She never forgave Logan, who she believed had betrayed her, and had never really believed in her talent."

Thank you so much for typing that out clapping.gif

Am I right in thinking then, that the deleted scene was just an extension to the scene that we did see, of Cherie talking to Hope Lange's character about the kind of man she feels she deserves? Or was the removed dialogue about something else?
Mezzo
QUOTE(Bobby @ Aug 30 2008, 05:06 AM) *

Am I right in thinking then, that the deleted scene was just an extension to the scene that we did see, of Cherie talking to Hope Lange's character about the kind of man she feels she deserves? Or was the removed dialogue about something else?

You're welcome. I assume that you're right. Does anyone know if the cut footage is still in existence?
Tara
QUOTE(Bobby @ Aug 30 2008, 11:06 AM) *

Yes it is that same speech with Hope on the bus, a longer version that may be even better than the one we know. I have the play of Bus Stop so will find out what else was in the speech - although, the film script was different to the play so it may not correspond.

Another short, funny scene was cut from Bus Stop, where Cherie reads from a rather 'adult' book to the two children at the diner (upstairs.) I have no idea if any of this footage still exists, but I have seen a still from the latter scene - will post if I find it.
Bobby
I'd be very interested to see that photo if you can find it Tara, thanks.
mmmMarilyn
I just thought I'd jump in, because I have it!
Here you go:
Click to view attachment
abeautifulchild
HA. Thanks ever so, Coco.
Bobby
Thank you for posting Coco, it's new to me thumbup1.gif
lorileime
Thanks, new to me too. You have wonder where all these bits and pieces of film really are. Were they that naive to just throw them away? I can't believe that.
meztisa
I think at the last minute alterations, the crew's thinking was irrational. They were just looking for unnecessary scenes (those that added nothing to the plot) to cut, quickly, so to be in time for the release date.

Here are some quotes from Marilyn about her movies:

"The girl I played in Niagara, that was an amoral type, whose plot to kill her husband was attempted with no apparent cost to her conscience. She had been picked up out of a beer parlor, she entirely lacked the social graces and she was overdressed, over-madeup, and completely wanton. The uninhibited deportment in the motel room and the walk seemed natural facets of such a character's portrayal. I honestly believe such a girl would behave in that manner." on Niagara

"Personally I think that the best performance I ever gave was in The Asphalt Jungle." on The Asphalt Jungle

"The worst part I had to play was Let's Make Love. I didn't even have a part." on Let's Make Love

"‘About my last picture, The Misfits, some people like it, but not me. I was disappointed. Clark Gable never got angry with me once for blowing a line or being late or anything. He was a gentleman - the best." on The Misfits

marilynfanonline
I remember reading somewhere that when talking about 'Ladies of the Chours' years later she commented that the entire production was an amature 'mess'. I can't find the exact quote but it would seem that she was fully aware of how poor these earily parts were but at the time she would do anything to be involved in the movies. This would explain alot when looking at her parts in films such as 'Love Nest' and 'As Young As You Feel', later in her career she would never have touched parts like these.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.