Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Fireball
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
Vicoria Hoffman 1975
Has anyone seen this film? I know Marilyns part is only smallbut does she actually have any lines??

I saw Mickey Rooney last year in a pantomime and I couldnt help thinking it was strange that I had seen someone who had knew Marilyn! (Even if it was reported she didnt really like him too much)
meganmarilyn
throb.gif
Bobby
This film is on its way to me from Japan. I guess I'll post again in this thread once I've received and watch it.

Does anyone else own this one?
lorileime
I own it but I haven't seen it for a while. I'll have to pop it in the machine and watch. I'll let you know what I think.
lorileime
O.K. I just watched it again. It's basically a tale of boy goes bad and then gets redeemed at the end. Mickey Rooney gives a nice performance. He's definitely not the young Andy Hardy we all know and love in this pic. Marilyn's scenes are very brief. She only has about 3 or 4 and her lines are rotten. She's very much a fill in. I wouldn't even give her part the weight of being an extra. (She does get screen billing, though) They have her so dolled up with furs and sleek hair that she's definitely there to be the eye candy in this flick. And the way she delivers her lines in inconsistent. In one scene her voice is low and melodramatic, and in another scene she's high pitched and bubby but it doesn't fit the scene. I doubt that the critics even noticed her in this movie. If anyone has info on what the critics said, I'd love to hear it. All in all, a forgetable film. But it was a good attempt for its day at curbing the male adolescent bravado and showing that doing the right thing can get you somewhere. Bobby: My version is also from Japan and I must say you might be a little disappointed with the quality. The opening credits are really grainy and the actual film looks like it's directly from a television screen. The biggest problem with my copy is that the voice and the movement don't match up. I hate when that happens.
Bobby
Thanks for sharing your review Tony, I didn't really know anything about the film until I read your post.

As for the quality, I'm sorry to hear your copy is dodgy. I'm obviously hoping mine is alright but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

lorileime
QUOTE(Bobby @ Jul 25 2008, 03:05 PM) *
Thanks for sharing your review Tony, I didn't really know anything about the film until I read your post.

As for the quality, I'm sorry to hear your copy is dodgy. I'm obviously hoping mine is alright but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Well, a note for everyone, as soon as anyone hears of the release of Fireball in an American version, let us know. I would replace the one I have.
Bobby, I can't wait to hear your review. I look forward to them.
Bobby
I happy to report that my DVD copy of the film is faultless.

Well, I expected and wanted more Marilyn but I suppose a little is better than none at all. I thought Mickey Rooney was excellent; he did very well developing and adjusting as the mood of the character changed. His range impressed me. As for the story, well it wasn't great was it? I thought the pace in the second half of the film was unrealistic. It was all very rushed and as a result, it felt unbalanced. The very end was particularly - and needlessly - hurried which sadly, left a lingering disappointment in the picture as a whole. I also think some of the characters were underdeveloped; in fact they all were, besides Rooney's Johnny. Though even with that character, we learned nothing of his orphaned background.

My opinion, for what its worth, is that The Fireball is not a bad film but it does have a few noticeable drawbacks.
hollywoodcinderella
I've just recently seen this! I should try and make some clips of it and some DVD caps. Marilyn wasnt in it much, but all in all I think it's a watchable film. smile1.gif
Paju
I think I've watched this movie only once. It seemed a bit forgettable to me. Marilyn is beautiful, but her part is very small and unimportant. But it's still a nice addition to a MM movie collection.
Katri^
QUOTE(Paju @ Aug 11 2008, 03:16 PM) *
I think I've watched this movie only once. It seemed a bit forgettable to me. Marilyn is beautiful, but her part is very small and unimportant. But it's still a nice addition to a MM movie collection.

I agree smile1.gif
It was hard for me to watch it because there wasn't even English subtitles but as far as I understood it, it wasn't special in any way. It wasn't either good or bad. Just a nice addition to a collection, like Sirkku said smile1.gif
Tara
This is another one I have yet to see - thanks for your comments everyone... thumbup1.gif
Scottish Sugar
This is actually one of my favourtie early Marilyn movies. Infact, I would love it even if Marilyn wasn't even in it!
Mickey Rooney is great as the lead character, you really feel for him. Highly recommended to any Marilyn fan.

My copy is from Japan, but the movie is in English.. all I did was turn off the subtitles!

Great movie.

xxxx
Marloes
I just got the movie, I love the Marilyn parts. She's so beautiful. I noticed she speaks with a very low voice, I think lower than usual. I always find it interesting how the tone of her voice changed over the years: from low to high to low again smile1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.