Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clash By Night
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
Bobby
1952's 'Clash by Night' was to be one of Marilyn's final appearances as a secondary character (her first major starring role came in 'Don't Bother to Knock', released six months later). Fritz Lang's movie of the Clifford Odets play saw Marilyn playing the role of Peggy, a feisty and independent young woman who experiences a somewhat tempestuous love-hate relationship with boyfriend Joe Doyle, played by the alluring Keith Andes. The movie also stars Barbara Stanwyck and Paul Douglas, as mis-matched newlyweds Mae and Jerry, whose home-life is threatened by an alcoholic acquaintance who sets his sights on Mae.

I definitely thought this was one of the better 'bit-part Marilyn movies'. It's an interesting and realistic plot with a noticeably appropriate score plus Marilyn's character was very different from any other she portrayed, which I really enjoyed. The relationship between Peggy and Joe is quite bizarre...including physical fights and constant verbal jabs at each other. We see in their last scene that ultimately, they do love each other but they have a strange way of showing it! What did you think?
lorileime
Yes, they do have a strange relationship, Joe and Peggy, but they're raport is right on. Joe, the know it all, who's been around the block a few times and Peggy, the naive girl who probably had a couple of older brothers to contend with and isn't afraid of any man. She can hold her own in the relationship and Joe sees he's got a catch and appreciates it in the end. This is very far away from the roles Marilyn would later play and she's almost a little clumsy as a tomboy. She wasn't built to kickbox! But, I think she did a great job with the character. The only thing that sometimes irritates a little is her whiney voice, but .............. it's Marilyn so it's tolerable. Overall, a good movie. I do take this one out occassionally and watch it solely for the story. And I love it when Marilyn says, "Diamonds make me punctual." What great foreshadowing!!!

And, I almost forgot, my brother Joe, married a Peggy!
mmmMarilyn
This might be my favorite performance of hers, even though it is not a leading one---I think she's amazing and cute and spunky and her wardrobe is totally genius, I think she's perfect and would have loved seeing her in more roles like this one! I was blown away the first time I saw this film. She's the only thing I like in it!
dwane
her role is so cool in this movie, she's such a rebel, haha laugh.gif
bruno
One of my favorites too. Glad you added it in your topic.
I believe this is really one of her most interesting characters - though I am a bit surprised by the quick way she surrenders to Joe at the end. Well, that's the way it is. She is very refreshing in this rather "heavy" melodrama, and yet, never assimilated to the dumb blonde she so often had to portray later on.
I wish she could have been offered more parts like this one. She probably would have grown an excellent mature actress; But Fox did not consider things this way. Money money !
Vicoria Hoffman 1975
I thought she played a good part as Peggy. I'm not sure how true it is but did read somewhere that she actually went to the place it was gng to be filmed herself to look aboutand see what it was like to help with the part.

The bit where she 'surrenders' to Joe was probably typical of the type of the way a lot of movies showed women at the time. I think it would have been better if they had reached a sort of compromise in the end rather than just her suddenly deciding to be the dutiful 1950s housewife. (not sure if I make any sense!)
mmmMarilyn
I had my family tape this for me while I was away at school (it was on TCM at like, three in the morning) and I just watched (only) her parts last night--I LOVE her in this movie, it might be my favorite performance of hers even though it is so brief. I like the ending (or, her final moments in the film)--even though it is abrupt, it is so emotional and well-acted and believable. Like I've said a million times, I love seeing her so casual and fresh, and I prefer her small part over Stanwyck's leading one--as I was fast forwarding I was dying laughing, it seemed like every other second she was lighting up a cigarette! haha. Love this film.
MissCaswell
Does anyone have any info about the title of this film? I was reading Dover Beach, a poem by Matthew Arnold, in class, and the last lines are

And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night

It's the first time I've seen that particular phrase other than in the title of the film, so I was wondering if it's a coincidence? The poem is basically about two lovers looking at the beauty of the beach while all the while being aware of all the sorrows beyond it.
mmmMarilyn
I just noticed your observation about the poem Erica, and it is a good one--I have no knowledge of why they called the movie Clash By Night but seeing that it is such an odd phrase, it makes sense coming from the larger context of the poem--COOL!!!! Thanks!

PS I throb.gif this movie

haha, that's about the 100th time I've said that!
Fav
QUOTE(MissCaswell @ Aug 25 2008, 06:28 AM) *
Does anyone have any info about the title of this film? I was reading Dover Beach, a poem by Matthew Arnold, in class, and the last lines are

And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night

It's the first time I've seen that particular phrase other than in the title of the film, so I was wondering if it's a coincidence? The poem is basically about two lovers looking at the beauty of the beach while all the while being aware of all the sorrows beyond it.

I know you have to take Wikipedia with a pinch of salt as not everything on there is true, but it would appear that Clifford Odets did indeed take the title of his play from the Dover Beach poem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_by_Night_(Odets_drama) . Interestingly the initial production of this play in the early 1940's would appear to have been directed by Lee Strasberg.
Tara
I love this movie, and Marilyn's performance is one of her best. Very strong and natural. I also think Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Ryan were great. Crazy thought - but if Marilyn had remade it twenty years later, she could have played Stanwyck's part very well, too.
Fav
QUOTE(Tara @ Sep 18 2008, 09:38 AM) *
I love this movie, and Marilyn's performance is one of her best. Very strong and natural. I also think Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Ryan were great. Crazy thought - but if Marilyn had remade it twenty years later, she could have played Stanwyck's part very well, too.

Not crazy at all. I found Stanwyck's role very compelling - there may be a part of the character in every woman to some extent. It was a complicated character and very emotionally charged - I am sure Marilyn would have been able to bring a softer dimension to the role, a kind of desperation of life that Stanwyck tried to portray.
pinup
Does Marilyn feature in this film alot? Im thinking of buyting it, Ive never seen it!
MissCaswell
It's no lead part, but she's in quite a few scenes, with some interaction with all the stars of the film. It's definitely worth buying. She gets to do some acting, not just standing on the side looking pretty.
mmmMarilyn
DEFINITELY buy it!!!!!!!!!
Bobby
I agree with the above, it's certainly worth buying. I really enjoyed Marilyn's acting in a slightly different role to any other she played. However, if you have Sky television Angie - or know anyone who does - the film is played on digital channel TCM fairly often so it might be cheaper to just record it!
meztisa
QUOTE(pinup @ Sep 20 2008, 07:34 PM) *
Does Marilyn feature in this film alot? Im thinking of buyting it, Ive never seen it!

If you own There's No Business Like Show Business, it's the same thing. At least in Clash By Night her character is vital to the plot, unlike the other movie mentioned.
MissCaswell
Yes! And she gets to do fun stuff, like punching a guy in the face, playing extremely drunk, being a little bitchy - it's fun to watch! Not at all as dull as her part in nblsb.
Demos Kratos
I actually have this DVD but have never watched it as I've though Marilyn's part was so small. After reading what you guys (and girls smile1.gif) have said, I'm going to pop it in the DVD player this weekend biggrin.gif
mmmMarilyn
Lee, you NEED TO! I adore her in this like I've said a million billion times, I can't recommend it enough--you will be pleased with it, I know you will!
Demos Kratos
QUOTE(mmmMarilyn @ Sep 23 2008, 08:18 PM) *
Lee, you NEED TO! I adore her in this like I've said a million billion times, I can't recommend it enough--you will be pleased with it, I know you will!

I'll take your advice coolio.gif smile1.gif
pinup
I cant seem to find this DVD anywhere! Ive looked on ebay and amazon but can only find region 1 copies and I need region 2. I dont have TCM either cry.gif
If anyone finds it for sale on the internet anywhere (region 2) please let me know, I would love to see it!
Tara
It's not on Region 2 currently as far as I know. Do you get TCM? They often show it there, and they don't have too many ad-breaks.
pinup
I have cable but I dont have the TCM channel crybaby.gif
lorileime
QUOTE(pinup @ Oct 12 2008, 12:35 PM) *
I have cable but I dont have the TCM channel crybaby.gif

Can someone with a region 1 disc copy it so that it will play on your region 2 dvd player? I don't have the ability to copy, but someone here must.
Scottish Sugar
I bought all the Marilyn rarities including:
Clash By Night, Right Cross, Dangerous Years, Scudda Hoo! Scudda Hay!, A Ticket To Tomahawk and The Shocking Miss Pilgrim

here:

http://oldtimeentertainment.com/index.php

Yeah ok, they're not official dvds and the quality isn't dvd perfect, but I didn't care, I just wanted to say I'd seen all the Marilyn movies smile1.gif Plus they're region free, so you can play them on any player.

xxx
pinup
ooh thats a good site! they dont have clash by night though upset.gif
Garbo20
QUOTE(pinup @ Oct 12 2008, 05:45 PM) *
I cant seem to find this DVD anywhere! Ive looked on ebay and amazon but can only find region 1 copies and I need region 2. I dont have TCM either cry.gif
If anyone finds it for sale on the internet anywhere (region 2) please let me know, I would love to see it!

Seach google and you can find ways of making your DVD player region free so it will play region 1.
meganmarilyn
Did you guys know this about actor Keith Andes?

Keith Andes (85) handsome actor, Marilyn Monroe's leading man in the film Clash by Night (1952) who starred opposite Lucille Ball in the 1960 Broadway musical Wildcat. Andes appeared in more than 20 films, including Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) and on such TV shows as Glynis and This Man Dawson. He committed suicide by asphyxiation, having suffered for some time from bladder cancer and other ailments, in Canyon Country, California on November 11, 2005.
Tara
How sad!
audreyfan1
That is sad. I didn't know that.
Robby
This scene in Clash By Night always makes me laugh so hard! Marilyn really was a brilliant actress!

Peggy drunk! laughing.gif
Bobby
That scene always makes me laugh too Robby. Every time I watch CBN I rewind that bit several times biggrin.gif
Tara
Happy birthday Clash By Night, 57 years today since its first release and still a rare gem!

http://www.hollywoodoutbreak.com/2009/06/1...clash-by-night/
Tara
I'm half-watching this again as I cook dinner. Ever since I heard how Robert Ryan was kind to Marilyn, he has become my hero in this movie (even though he's actually the bad guy...)
Bobby
I like Robert Ryan and I hadn't heard that he was particularly pleasant to Marilyn during CBN. What have you read/heard about that, Tara?
Nancy
QUOTE(Tara @ Aug 30 2009, 12:42 PM) *
I'm half-watching this again as I cook dinner. Ever since I heard how Robert Ryan was kind to Marilyn, he has become my hero in this movie (even though he's actually the bad guy...)

QUOTE(Bobby @ Aug 31 2009, 07:06 AM) *
I like Robert Ryan and I hadn't heard that he was particularly pleasant to Marilyn during CBN. What have you read/heard about that, Tara?

I'm also interested in learning more about this! balloon.gif

~~~~~~~

Oh, and I made a CBN fan page on Facebook, for anyone who's interested!
Clash By Night
bye1.gif
timetravelangel
QUOTE(Nancy @ Sep 23 2009, 10:13 PM) *
I'm also interested in learning more about this! balloon.gif
bye1.gif

Hi, I too love Marilyn's performance in this film.

Perhaps Tara has read the biography of MM's co-star, Robert Ryan by F Jarlett:

"When Lang discussed the film with Peter Bogdanovic in the latter's book, 'Fritz Lang in America', one area of discord came to light. Jerry Wald [producer] had borrowed fledgling actress Marilyn Monroe from 20th Century Fox and wanted to give her equal billing with Robert Ryan, Barbara Stanwyck and Paul Douglas. This angered Douglas in particular who thought the idea ridiculous. Stanwyck however, agreed perhaps identifying with the younger actress on the rise. Ryan was non-committal about the matter, possibly not wanting to hurt Monroe's obviously shaky feelings. He plainly saw that she was fragile and disorganized when she arrived late on set every day with her acting coach in hand as a sort of security blanket. When her tardiness vexed Lang sufficiently, in true teutonic form he belittled her with icy sarcasm until Ryan had witnessed enough and asked him to go easy on her. Monroe ended up with equal billing on the credits." p.69

God bless Marilyn! She had a lot to put up with didn't she? Lang sounds like another Otto Preminger - another bully. And she deserves equal billing IMO. clapping.gif

BTW, did you know that the original Odets play ends with Jerry strangling Earl in the projection booth? I wonder why they changed it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.