Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Were Her Ears Pierced?
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn Trivia
Cello
Was Marilyn's ears pierced or did she use clip on earrings?
In her pictures I could never see a hole in her ears.. so I just assume she doesn't have them pierced. Anyone know for sure? marilynbybrandon_190.gif
dwane
she actually didn't have pierced ears, i think that's because you had to have an appointment with your family doctor and she just never got around to it.
Cello
..really? Where did you read this?A doctor had to pierce your ears back then?That' interesting. blink.gifI was just looking through some of my old posts and saw that I had asked this question in the Illinois picture thread and got this reply:
QUOTE(magda24 @ Apr 15 2008, 04:57 AM) *
You mean Marilyn? Oh, she enjoyed wearing earclips but on some pics she's wearing also earrings.So my guess she had her ears pierced. i rememeber reading somewhere Grace McKee did it for her (or brought her to a place where they do it).
uh oh, seems we've got conflicting reports! wink3.gif
Nancy
I don't believe she had pierced ears, but I could very well be mistaken.
MissCaswell
For some reason I can't add pics to this post, so I'll give you a link. In some of the close ups from the last sitting it looks very much as though her ears weren't pierced, and if you look closely you can see that all earrings she wore were clips.
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/ik...ent=Stern40.jpg
mmmMarilyn
I have read simply that she didn't have them pierced--I don't remember reading a reason for why or why not though so that doctor story is interesting. I do agree though, there doesn't seem to be a hole in that Stern picture. I think that is cute that she didn't have them pierced--just adds to the fact that although she always appeared very glamorous, in real life she was simple and no-nonsense! (black turtleneck, checkered pants, tousled hair and no earrings? The best!!) biggrin.gif
Elsie Marina
I think it was quite uncommon for women to have their ears pierced back then, it may have been seen as being trampy (lord knows what they'd make of my lip ring, nose stud and tragus ring laugh.gif)
magda24
Well, actually among her belongings were earrings- as we can see on the photos Suus posted (Christie's)
http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=7cdb1c573a50.jpg

it's pretty obvious then that she had had her ears pierced.
Elsie Marina
They look a little like clip ons to me but I might be wrong, also I have never noticed a little hole in her ears on any pictures of her.
magda24
There's also this story about Frank Sinatra giving her emerald earrings not earclips.I just looked at my pics and though I have my ears pierced you wouldn't tell it from a picture.
Elsie Marina
Oh well, guess I learned something I didn't know about Marilyn so that's good, thanks for putting me right.
magda24
QUOTE(Elsie Marina @ Jun 17 2008, 07:24 PM) *
Oh well, guess I learned something I didn't know about Marilyn so that's good, thanks for putting me right.

Oh no it wasn't my intention to play smart or anything:)I just discovered it myself looking at pictures from Christie's and they can be considered some proof. I just found it today so I thought I'd share.Don't want you to think I'm posing as know-it-all!
Elsie Marina
laugh.gif Don't worry, I didn't think that!

Friends? hug.gif
magda24
QUOTE(Elsie Marina @ Jun 17 2008, 07:48 PM) *
laugh.gif Don't worry, I didn't think that!

Friends? hug.gif

Sure thing, Nicola!!!! yes.gif
Elsie Marina
Yay! biggrin.gif
Nancy
I'm pretty sure those are clip-ons though.
Cello
^^^Yes, in the books I've read the ones Frank Sinatra gave her must have been clip ons because they said that he CLIPPED them onto her ears, before they passionately embraced and kissed...oooo la la
magda24
QUOTE(Cello @ Jun 17 2008, 10:05 PM) *
^^^Yes, in the books I've read the ones Frank Sinatra gave her must have been clip ons because they said that he CLIPPED them onto her ears, before they passionately embraced and kissed...oooo la la

Well, possible!!!It would be perfect if we had some first hand account. Perhaps Alan could elaborate:)(if men notice things like this, haha)
Cello
..i think men probably noticed EVERY detail when it came to Marilyn. *squeals* asgtg4katie.gif
Bobby
QUOTE(magda24 @ Jun 17 2008, 10:09 PM) *
Well, possible!!!It would be perfect if we had some first hand account. Perhaps Alan could elaborate:)(if men notice things like this, haha)

You've made me question my masculinity by reading your post! laugh.gif
Alanma
QUOTE(magda24 @ Jun 17 2008, 09:09 PM) *

I haven't got a clue. Sorry!

In 1956, well brought up 19yr old lads just wouldn't think of being that inquisitive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.