Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Marry A Millionaire
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
Bobby
Lauren Bacall, Betty Grable and Marilyn Monroe. Glamour by the bucketload in this comedy about three money-grabbing models out to catch themselves a millionaire. The stunning gowns and the wonderful one-liners are the most out-standing aspects of the film and all three actresses shine in their individual scenes.

I think this is a supremely girly film with a lot of girly humour, if you'll forgive the generalisation. There wasn't enough Marilyn for my liking but when she was on screen, she was perfect and of course, exceptionally beautiful. What did you think?
Kowalczyk
TBH, there's really nothing to say about acting talent in HTMAM. It's all comedy - and Marilyn plays it to perfection as only Marilyn can. I can imagine Pola's shortsightedness being irritating (to me) if Marilyn hadn't pulled it off so well, and she makes scenes that are kind of predictable (for example in the plane, reading the book upside down) funny in spite of this.

I like the rest of the film too, not as much as GPB but I like it. But for some reason, I really dislike Lauren Bacall's character and I can't tell why! Also I don't like the idea of the film, golddigging, (I'm a romantic I guess!) but I suppose that's how women got rich in the '50s and I look past it.

Also love Marilyn's red swimsuit! thumbup1.gif
Tara
It is a bit too long but I like this movie. It's glossy and shallow, but fun. Marilyn's role is quite limited but she makes it work for her. She delivers every line and gag with finesse, and her chemistry with Grable and Bacall is great. The best scene in the movie is with her and David Wayne on the airplane. It should be just corny but Marilyn makes her character adorable.
marilynfanonline
The whole look and style of this film is pure comic book. I guess this high styalised idea of 1950's glamour was what the picture was all about. I get the feeling that Fox were taking the image of Monroe to the next level with this film, even more so than in GPB.

I mean the attatched image of her from a dvd still really proves my point. This character was about as 2 dimensional as they come and although I feel Marilyn really does pull it off as best she can it does not change what is there to begin with.

These were the kind of roles she later resented and I'm sure when looking at the characters she were being given she would balk at the thought of playing almost a cartoon character as we all know she was so much more real and complex than that. To me it's almost an insult.

Nevertheless, as for the film in general, not enough Marilyn really. I know that they spread out the three girls and their stories and it's so clear that this is one of the film rom com chick flicks. It's very camp in it's 1950's over the top style. Still it remains a Monroe classic despite it not merely hinting at her ability as an actress but more of an 'act dumb, act sexy, look pretty' kinda role.
lorileime
Fluff and cotton candy. I love this movie, but wouldn't go out of my way to see it too many times. I think all three actors are great in their roles and I love Lauren Bacall in this movie. She's almost relentless in the way she squelches Mr. Brookman and time and again. Marilyn is wonderful, but she's really just a poodle in this film. There to be pretty and fluffy and do what she's told. She does it beautifully, though. As only she could, of course. Her best scene, I agree, is the plane scene. "Then why are you reading this book upside-down?" "I am no such thing!" "Not YOU, the book!" Very funny. I would love to see a remake of this film where the plot is reversed. It's the girls who are rich and the guys who want to marry them. Paul, btw, the picture you posted shows Marilyn using a cup and saucer by a very famous designer named Russel Wright. Later in life, I decided to collect and use this dinnerware pattern. It's my 'everyday' pattern. It comes in 10 colors. The color Marilyn is holding is called Black Chutney. I never realized it until years later when I was watching this movie again that it was used in the movie. It suddendly made me feel even closer to Marilyn. throb.gif
magda24
It's one of the movies I watch only for Marilyn. It cetainly has some old-fashioned charm and I love the costumes but I'm waiting impatiently every time she's off screen. I sometimes jump to the scenes without watching others when watching on dvd...But she's adorable.
Katri^
QUOTE(magda24 @ May 27 2008, 09:12 AM) *
It's one of the movies I watch only for Marilyn. It cetainly has some old-fashioned charm and I love the costumes but I'm waiting impatiently every time she's off screen. I sometimes jump to the scenes without watching others when watching on dvd...But she's adorable.

I agree with you : )

Marilyn was great as Pola, but I just don't like the character! And Lauren Bacall's character is just... awful, to be honest. : D And there should have been much more Marilyn in this film! The only thing that saves it is Betty Grable, who I also like. Her character is adorable.

There are several scenes or lines that are funny, but the complete movie is just too simple for me. : ) Too many obvious jokes, and this movie brings nothing new, I guess. MM's character is almost like Lorelei, but just blind version of her.

HTMAM is a nice film to watch, but nothing special to me smile1.gif
mmmMarilyn
I agree with everybody. She looks lovely, the costumes worn by all the ladies are extravagant fun to look at but the plot and lines are a little silly and too obvious. I haven't grabbed this off my shelf in a long time for the reasons everybody has said so far.
marilynfanonline
The only part I thought was genually funny was when Marilyn models the bathing suit at the fashion show and then trips up on the way to her seat ha ha tongue.gif thumbup1.gif clapping.gif
JanCollector
I love this movie. It's like comfort food. Just a really pleasant experience that is reliably enjoyable.

One of Marilyn's best comedic roles, too. Excellent chemistry among the 3 leading ladies.
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(JanCollector @ Jun 1 2008, 06:58 PM) *
I love this movie. It's like comfort food. Just a really pleasant experience that is reliably enjoyable.

One of Marilyn's best comedic roles, too. Excellent chemistry among the 3 leading ladies.

Agreed. It is predictable of course, but SO funny. I just about die in the scene where Pola tries to walk out of the powder room in the restaurant without her glasses and bumps into the wall! Hilarious.
JanCollector
QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 1 2008, 06:59 PM) *
Agreed. It is predictable of course, but SO funny. I just about die in the scene where Pola tries to walk out of the powder room in the restaurant without her glasses and bumps into the wall! Hilarious.

Unlike other fans here, I don't find the film insulting to Marilyn. Like The Seven Year Itch, this was an excellent role for her, and really allowed her to demonstrate her comedic skills. I never saw any problems when her talent was on display. It's pictures like There's No Business Like Show Business that were insulting.
Elsie Marina
I have actually never really liked this film, I just found it a bit dull, Marilyn is cute of course and I like the little in jokes and nods to her other films and the other actresses films but overall I find it kind of meh.
ziggy
I'll just paste my IMDB review here, since it pretty much sums up my feelings:

How to Marry a Millionaire is an average Fifties comedy revolving around three big movie stars. The lazy plot has been CinemaScoped up, and at times it drags painfully. Jean Negulesco was a craftsman, not a director with vision. Had the script been handed to Howard Hawks or Billy Wilder, it could have been turned into sarcastic societal commentary, comparable with Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, the Hawks/Monroe collaboration of the same year. As it stands, it's shallow, even dull.

Ultimately, this is a Lauren Bacall movie. She handles her scenes with sassy and straightforward ease. And Monroe could do no wrong back then. Her timing is impeccable.

There's some raunchy fun there, especially when Bacall and Monroe get together. Betty Grable, professional though she is, remains a one-note Jenny. She's got lengthy scenes where it's obvious that she's more about surface and technical capability than acting.

The story about women whose idea of a career is to hunt rich men is yesterday's news. But for fans of Bacall and, up to an extent, Monroe, it's a treat.
MissCaswell
Sam, I completely agree with you. Lazy plot, Bacall movie and so on. Marilyn is absolutely adorable as Pola, and I wish it were more focus on her part. More closeups would have made this film better too, I think, as it might have allowed for a little depth in the characters' reactions and emotions. As it is, this film gives me a feeling of looking at a theatre stage from a very long distance, and the actors in this film were no stage actors.
Vicoria Hoffman 1975
I have read that the idea of marrying for money is an out-dated plot but I dont agree totally. Its just that instead of trying to grab an oilman there are plenty of girls now where their only ambition in life is to grab a footballer (any one will do as long as he has money). If the film was remade now it would likely be called 'I want to be a footballers wife'.
ziggy
QUOTE(MissCaswell @ Jul 31 2008, 07:16 AM) *
Sam, I completely agree with you. Lazy plot, Bacall movie and so on. Marilyn is absolutely adorable as Pola, and I wish it were more focus on her part. More closeups would have made this film better too, I think, as it might have allowed for a little depth in the characters' reactions and emotions. As it is, this film gives me a feeling of looking at a theatre stage from a very long distance, and the actors in this film were no stage actors.

Actually, Bacall is a trained stage actor, but overall I agree with you. The flick was, in part, crafted to establish CinemaScope, and they wanted to use the brand new wide-screen technique to full advantage - unfortunately, on the expense of cinematic vision.
Alanma
This story-line, with three main characters, needs to have one of them as a bit abrasive and less sympathetic, to point up the other two. If all three were like Marilyn or Grable the result would awfully saccharine.
To pull off the less sympathetic part needs experience, hence Bacall.
Bobby
I watched this last night and was struck (once again) by the supreme acting of Ms Bacall, Ms Grable and of course, Ms Monroe. I thought they all put in perfect performances in their respective roles and - though I tried - I couldn't pick out any of the trio for special praise in terms of their acting displays in HTMAM.

By the way, has anybody else noticed that during the 'dream' sequences, when we see each of the ladies in bed dreaming, all three are practically wearing more make-up than they do in the daytime!? laugh.gif
dwane
QUOTE(Elsie Marina @ Jun 17 2008, 05:47 PM) *
I have actually never really liked this film, I just found it a bit dull, Marilyn is cute of course and I like the little in jokes and nods to her other films and the other actresses films but overall I find it kind of meh.

HOW DARE YOU! haha just kidding biggrin.gif

but in all seriousness, i like the movie and all but it's always seemed kind of dull to me. i've tried watching it and watching it but i just can't get into it, marilyn's role is so cool and she looks beutiful and she's so funny but the whole plot seems kind of boring.

overall i think this is one of marilyn's better films despite how much i don't really care for it.
pinup
I really love this film! I do think that some of the parts are boring though, the part with Grable in the 'lodge' goes on for a bit too long I think. I also think that Marilyns character doesnt have much depth to it, I feel like she is their because she is Marilyn Monroe, I feel like her character is kind of pointless. I always forget the part where she meets the landlord on the aeroplane, its like they just added it in at the last minute.
Marilyn is an amazing comedic actress in it though and I love her costumes!!
Another thing I dont get about the film is the long musical intro at the start. Whats that all about?
Bobby
QUOTE(pinup @ Oct 14 2008, 11:40 PM) *
I always forget the part where she meets the landlord on the aeroplane, its like they just added it in at the last minute.

I see what you mean there Angie but I love that scene; in fact it's my favourite in the whole film!

"You're reading that book upside down."
"But I'm no such thing!"
"Not you, the book."
"Oh."
laugh.gif

QUOTE(pinup @ Oct 14 2008, 11:40 PM) *
Another thing I dont get about the film is the long musical intro at the start. Whats that all about?

Good question!
Mezzo
[quote

Good question!
[/quote]

Here's an explanation for the long musical introduction: (from imdb)
The film features an actual overture after the fashion of a live theatrical extravaganza. The 20th Century Fox Orchestra is arrayed before the camera to perform "Street Scene," conducted by its composer (and Fox studio music chief) Alfred Newman. This serves to highlight CinemaScope's new four-track magnetic stereophonic sound system and widescreen visuals.
lorileime
QUOTE(Bobby @ Oct 14 2008, 05:51 PM) *
I see what you mean there Angie but I love that scene; in fact it's my favourite in the whole film!

"You're reading that book upside down."
"But I'm no such thing!"
"Not you, the book."
"Oh."
laugh.gif
Good question!

I love that scene too and I sometimes I will say stuff like that. "You're reading that book upside down" or when someone says something like that to me I'll say, "Me? or the book? (or what ever))
darknstormyx0
It's not one of her favorite performances but it's now one of my favorite movies of hers! Just got the DVD and watched it for the first time. So funny! She looked awesome with those glasses.<3

When Marilyn asked the director what the motivation for her character was, he replied, "You're as blind as a bat without glasses. That is your motivation ."
Kowalczyk
---
Bobby
QUOTE(darknstormyx0 @ Nov 16 2008, 07:14 AM) *
It's not one of her favorite performances but it's now one of my favorite movies of hers! Just got the DVD and watched it for the first time. So funny! She looked awesome with those glasses.<3

When Marilyn asked the director what the motivation for her character was, he replied, "You're as blind as a bat without glasses. That is your motivation ."

Welcome to the forum, SP.

I merged your thread with the HTMAM thread thumbup1.gif
Scottish Sugar
This is one of my all time favourites! It was one of the first Marilyn movies I saw and it's just a great bit of "fluff!" It's everything you think 1950's glamourous comedies should be and more! I love Lauren and Betty in the movie also.

Marilyn looks like a complete GODDESS in this, she's never looked more stunning than in HTMAM.

Wonderful film... 10/10

xxxxx
Bobby
I put this fun film on this morning and got thinking about something. So I thought I'd put the question to the good people of ES, to hear your opinions.

Betty Grable's character 'Loco' has a lot more dialogue than Marilyn's 'Pola'. Now surely, after the success of Niagara and GPB, it cannot be denied that Marilyn was a bigger box office pull in 1953 than Ms Grable. Although I found Betty's performance funny and faultless, I was wondering why Fox gave her the bigger part over Marilyn. The roles aren't too dissimilar but 'Loco' is a more wise-cracking, streetwise dame whereas I think dear 'Pola' is very naive and vulnerable.

So my question is this: if you were given the choice, would you have liked to see Marilyn as 'Loco' or would you prefer to build up the part of 'Pola'? Or of course, keep everything as it was and is. What are your thoughts people?
Tara
I think Marilyn could have played Loco, absolutely within her range. She would have played it a little differently of course, but it's still the kind of comedy she excelled at doing. Couldn't imagine her as Schatze though, that's more a Bacall role. I love MM as Pola and it's a shame she doesn't have more screen time. But on the other hand, I couldn't imagine Betty or any other actress playing Pola as well as Marilyn, and I do like Betty as Loco.
Bobby
QUOTE(Tara @ Jul 17 2009, 04:02 PM) *
I think Marilyn could have played Loco, absolutely within her range. She would have played it a little differently of course, but it's still the kind of comedy she excelled at doing. Couldn't imagine her as Schatze though, that's more a Bacall role. I love MM as Pola and it's a shame she doesn't have more screen time. But on the other hand, I couldn't imagine Betty or any other actress playing Pola as well as Marilyn, and I do like Betty as Loco.

Thanks for your reply Tara biggrin.gif

I agree about Bacall's role and, as a sidenote, I noticed a thread on IMDB in which many people commented that Lauren looks a lot older than Betty and particularly Marilyn in this film. Would you agree with that? I sure would!
Tara
I agree that Lauren looks older than Marilyn, maybe it's her character or the clothes she wore. Considering she was only 2 years older in reality. I think Betty looks oldest though, with those tight blonde curls. And Marilyn looks so amazing that everyone else seems to age beside her! She always did look younger than she was, with her big blue eyes and pale skin. How old is Sugar meant to be in SLIH - 22 or something, I forget? And Marilyn was in her 30s when she played her, but is totally believable as a younger woman.
Bobby
QUOTE(Tara @ Jul 18 2009, 08:19 PM) *
I agree that Lauren looks older than Marilyn, maybe it's her character or the clothes she wore. Considering she was only 2 years older in reality. I think Betty looks oldest though, with those tight blonde curls. And Marilyn looks so amazing that everyone else seems to age beside her! She always did look younger than she was, with her big blue eyes and pale skin. How old is Sugar meant to be in SLIH - 22 or something, I forget? And Marilyn was in her 30s when she played her, but is totally believable as a younger woman.

Very true Tara, good point. In Clash by Night, Marilyn was 25 yet Peggy says she's twenty. In Itch, The Girl says she "was 22 day before yesterday" though Marilyn was actually 28 when she filmed the scene. Plus as you say, Sugar will soon be 25 ("quarter of a century, makes a girl think") in SLIH and Miss Monroe was what, 32 at the time?

I see what you mean about Betty as well; it is her hair that makes her look older I think.
hazy
I love this movie. It is a fun comedy, and Marilyn looks beautiful. I love the glasses and the clothes. I found myself laughing a lot, and so did my husband. That says a lot for him, because it has to be REALLY funny for him to laugh!
tom
So so funny this movie!
Scottish Sugar
On Nicole Kidman's IMDB Profile it says one of her movies scheduled for 2011 is "How To Marry A Millionaire."
There's been rumours circulating for a while that Nicole expressed interest in remaking this movie, but I sure hope it's just a coincidence that the movies have the same name, I don't think any Marilyn movie could be remade, purely for the fact that it wouldn't have Marilyn in it!
xx
jennie2000
QUOTE(Scottish Sugar @ Mar 8 2010, 04:53 PM) *
On Nicole Kidman's IMDB Profile it says one of her movies scheduled for 2011 is "How To Marry A Millionaire."
There's been rumours circulating for a while that Nicole expressed interest in remaking this movie, but I sure hope it's just a coincidence that the movies have the same name, I don't think any Marilyn movie could be remade, purely for the fact that it wouldn't have Marilyn in it!
xx

According to Wikipedia "Nicole Kidman has bought the rights to How to Marry a Millionaire, and is set to produce and possibly star in a remake."
Eew I hope not.
Tara
This has indeed been rumoured for some time. I like Nicole Kidman but the charm and wit of Marilyn's era can never be recaptured, IMO.
Tara
Lauren Bacall received a much-deserved honorary Oscar last night! clapping.gif
Sunbow
The first movie I saw of Marilyn was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and I was so disappointed ! I love hearing Ms Monroe's voice, nothing sweeter than that, but that was just too long, so when I saw HTMAM, that was just awesome ! I was very well surprised, and Marilyn is so funny and beautiful ! Lol "Are you kidding, you look better with them [glasses] !" That makes me smile so much ! I was like "yes, imagine to say that to Marilyn 50 years after she became a legend !" Seriously, Paul's gives almost all the funny scenes in this movie, and I think Bacall, and Monroe are just great ! I found that Grable was a bit erased by her two co-stars, and her -I find- boring part, but that was a great moment, and Marilyn is so cute ! I love this movie.
Scottish Sugar
QUOTE(Sunbow @ Aug 9 2010, 08:49 PM) *
The first movie I saw of Marilyn was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and I was so disappointed ! I love hearing Ms Monroe's voice, nothing sweeter than that, but that was just too long, so when I saw HTMAM, that was just awesome ! I was very well surprised, and Marilyn is so funny and beautiful ! Lol "Are you kidding, you look better with them [glasses] !" That makes me smile so much ! I was like "yes, imagine to say that to Marilyn 50 years after she became a legend !" Seriously, Paul's gives almost all the funny scenes in this movie, and I think Bacall, and Monroe are just great ! I found that Grable was a bit erased by her two co-stars, and her -I find- boring part, but that was a great moment, and Marilyn is so cute ! I love this movie.

That's quite interesting.. because the first time I watched GPB, I fell in love with it instantly, infact, I loved it so much, I watched it again 2 days later! lol, but with "How To Marry A Millionaire" the first time I watched it, I found it SO slow, it took me a long time to watch it again, but now, it's one of my absolute favourites! I don't think it helped the fact that I first saw it on VHS, so it wasn't in widescreen and there were so many dodgy camera angles and big chunks cut out of the movie picture because it wasn't transformed into widescreen for the VHS release.

But please, please, please give 'Blondes' another go, it's definitely one of Marilyn's finest moments as a comedic preformer and one of her very best movies marilynbybrandon_190.gif

xx
Sunbow
Yes, I think I'll watch it again someday. Thanks for your reply, and your point of viewis really interesting for me smile1.gif
Maneki Neko
This was the first movie with Marilyn that I ever saw and I still think that it is great. All three leading ladies are wonderful and it's a nice bonus that Willam Powell also has a part. I also love the outfits.

sugarkane20
Am i the only one who compares Betty Grable at 36 or 37 to Marilyn Monroe when she was 36, when you watch this movie?
MissCaswell
I do, and it makes me a little sad. Betty looks healthier and happier than Marilyn did at that age.
marilyn144
BLU-RAY
marilyn144
thumbup1.gif
sneyder69
Rare to me ,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.