Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Seven Year Itch
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
Pages: 1, 2
Bobby
The famous skirt-blowing sequence from The Seven Year Itch is arguably the most famous and iconic movie scene in cinema history but the film has a lot more to offer than that. Tom Ewell re-produces the role he perfected in the Broadway production of the film while Marilyn plays his nameless neighbour, living upstairs in his apartment block. There are some very memorable lines and equally memorable visual shots as Ewell's character, Richard Sherman, tries to seduce his attractive acquaintance whilst battling his own conscience and terrific imagination.

There's no way, in my mind, that anybody else could have played Marilyn's character in this movie. It's every inch Marilyn and she certainly puts in another delightful performance. In truth, not an awful lot happens in the 105 minutes but it's pleasant from start to finish...particularly when Marilyn's in view. She truly lights up the screen and you really can't take your eyes off her. Did she ever look so beautiful? What do you think?
Katri^
This movie gets better every time I watch it biggrin.gif

When I first watched this, I didn't think that it was very funny. I thought that the jokes were too obvious (not in Marilyn's part, but Ewell's). But you know back then I did have pretty high expectations for the film. But now, I've noticed that everytime I laugh more than the last time.

Marilyn's performance was wonderful! She looked fantastic. I think the part is everything that, people who are not fans, think about Marilyn. MM was at her best during that film. You can see that she enjoyed making the film : )
magda24
I feel without Marilyn this movie woukd be terribly outdated now...I love her looks and her acting but for me this is one big Ewell's fantasy: someone like Marilyn actually falling for a guy like him.It doesn't happen I guess! But some scenes are hilarious, like this Rachmaninow one!And Marilyn look, when she says :We can do it all summer!"Priceless.
Tara
I love this movie, it reminds me of long hot summer nights even if I watch it in the dead of winter. If you don't like Tom Ewell then this is not for you, but fortunately I do. Marilyn's performance transcends time, even though the film itself is dated and stagey. Marilyn is 'just elegant', and her comic timing is razor-sharp. She brings grace and wit to the most obvious lines, and ultimately it is Sherman who is the dumb one, not her. In a way that does mirror Marilyn's experiences with men.
magda24
QUOTE(Tara @ May 26 2008, 07:47 PM) *
I love this movie, it reminds me of long hot summer nights even if I watch it in the dead of winter. If you don't like Tom Ewell then this is not for you, but fortunately I do. Marilyn's performance transcends time, even though the film itself is dated and stagey. Marilyn is 'just elegant', and her comic timing is razor-sharp. She brings grace and wit to the most obvious lines, and ultimately it is Sherman who is the dumb one, not her. In a way that does mirror Marilyn's experiences with men.

Oh I like Ewell I just always thought Sherman was imagining the whole thing, since he was portrayed as a quite dull character, not someone who would be a love interest. And in fact, he isn't- everything happens in his head. I was talking about his character, not the actor, not being precise enough.
Kowalczyk
Tara, I agree exactly with what you've said! clapping.gif
Bobby
QUOTE(Tara @ May 26 2008, 05:47 PM) *
Marilyn is 'just elegant', and her comic timing is razor-sharp. She brings grace and wit to the most obvious lines, and ultimately it is Sherman who is the dumb one, not her. In a way that does mirror Marilyn's experiences with men.

Two very interesting and very accurate points there. Well said thumbup1.gif
Tara
QUOTE(magda24 @ May 26 2008, 06:56 PM) *
Oh I like Ewell I just always thought Sherman was imagining the whole thing, since he was portrayed as a quite dull character, not someone who would be a love interest. And in fact, he isn't- everything happens in his head. I was talking about his character, not the actor, not being precise enough.

Some people have told me that Tom Ewell irritates them, that's what I meant. I know what you mean about it being Sherman's fantasy, the girl is a secondary character. It takes a great actress to make an impact like Marilyn did in that role.
Lacrymosa
She looks so fresh in this movie ! Fresh and innocent, like a little girl enjoying life in a woman's body.
And I love how Marilyn can say stupid things without looking stupid !
mmmMarilyn
This is without a doubt my favorite Marilyn movie--she just looks delectable, and even though her apartment is "like an oven" she does appear fresh and lovely the whole time! I show this to all my non-MM-loving friends and they laugh throughout and love it at the end. I even let my psychology teacher borrow it to see the...psychological aspects of it, which are evident even though it is a light romantic comedy! (She loved it too. biggrin.gif )
I think Marilyn has never been more beautiful or funnier than in The Seven Year Itch, I think the comedy holds up after all these years, and I hope to show it to my children and grandchildren someday!

How do you think the film would have been if Walter Matthau got the part of Richard Sherman, like he was supposed to? I saw it on the "AMC Backstory: The Seven Year Itch" that is a bonus feature on the SYI Diamond Collection DVD. I haven't watched it in a while but I know they showed his screentest and said that the studio didn't want to take a risk on a newcomer so they went with Ewell. I think he would have been brilliant and it may have been even funnier with him in place of Tom Ewell! How about you guys?
Tara
QUOTE(mmmMarilyn @ May 26 2008, 08:33 PM) *
How do you think the film would have been if Walter Matthau got the part of Richard Sherman, like he was supposed to? I saw it on the "AMC Backstory: The Seven Year Itch" that is a bonus feature on the SYI Diamond Collection DVD. I haven't watched it in a while but I know they showed his screentest and said that the studio didn't want to take a risk on a newcomer so they went with Ewell. I think he would have been brilliant and it may have been even funnier with him in place of Tom Ewell! How about you guys?

I think Tom Ewell fits the role well because he's such a nerd, whereas Walter Matthau is more of a grouch. But he's one of my very favourite actors and I'd love to have seen him in a movie with MM.When asked what he thought she'd be like if she'd lived longer, Matthau replied 'I think she'd be just fine. She'd be president of the USA.' laugh.gif
filthy22
QUOTE(Tara @ May 26 2008, 08:44 PM) *
When asked what he thought she'd be like if she'd lived longer, Matthau replied 'I think she'd be just fine. She'd be president of the USA.' laugh.gif

Imagine that!!! biggrin.gif

I love SYI, it's one of my very favourites! Marilyn is so cute in it, her character is incredibley liekable! laugh.gif
The contrast between both characters work very well and there are some fabulous comedic moments.
magda24
QUOTE(Tara @ May 26 2008, 09:11 PM) *
Some people have told me that Tom Ewell irritates them, that's what I meant. I know what you mean about it being Sherman's fantasy, the girl is a secondary character. It takes a great actress to make an impact like Marilyn did in that role.

Oh, sorry!And yes, any other actress would just dissapear in this movie!
lorileime
Marilyn was a very, very smart cookie to petition for this role. She is perfect for this character in every way. Tom Ewell, in my opinion, makes the movie and, although Mattau probably would have been funny, he wouldn't have been Richard Sherman. I just saw Matthau in Hello Dolly the other day and I loved him in that. Anyway, Marilyn lights up the screen with every inch of her soul in this movie and I love her as the girl upstairs. I couldn't imagine anyone else shining like she did in this role. In all of her movies, if she would have been paired with anyone else for a second time, I think I would have chosen Ewell.
mmmMarilyn
I'm seriously in The Seven Year Itch-withdrawal mode, with it being packed away for my move---I can't wait to get down there and rip it out of the box, it'll be the first one I watch!!!
abeautifulchild
I agree, everyone. I remember that George Axelrod said that if he had been writing the part later on he would have been tempted to call The Girl 'Marilyn' instead. She was that perfect. What was great about her performance was that in no way was the Girl trying to seduce Sherman at all, she had him at her feet just because she was The Girl, or rather, 'Marilyn Monroe.' I do think that, although Tom Ewell was amazing as Sherman (I too think that it can also be said that no one else could have played Sherman just as the same thing can be said in regards with Marilyn and The Girl), the movie dies when Marilyn is not on screen. But perhaps that isn't a fair thing to say because I feel this way about all of Marilyn's films- excepting The Misfits. I do think that the films that Marilyn made with Billy Wilder were her funniest performances, but I don't think that one can be ranked over the other, because in both TSYI and SLIH she was essentially playing the same role, which eventually goes back to the character she invented, 'Marilyn Monroe.' What I don't like about both of these films- the ONLY thing I don't like about both of these films- is that although Marilyn is the core of both these movies, she doesn't have nearly enough screen time. But all in all I find TSYI to be one of Marilyn's greatest performances. It's also interesting to note that this was before the Strasbergs had come into her life- she was such a natural. Wilder was right to call her a comedic genius- she had a great sense of timing in this film and I love her facial expressions for instance when she says, "Noo that's too icky" and yes, when she coos, "We can do this all summer..." Yeah, I think that if I was to introduce someone to Marilyn's movies as far as comedy goes, I would pick this one. Not to mention that she was IMO the most beautiful that she had been (up til that point) on screen, she looked so young and healthy; just absolutely lovely. Sooo to sum up, Marilyn was unforgettable in this movie- a delight.
mmmMarilyn
When she says "We can do this all summer...hmm?" and gives that look, I would put that as number one on a list of most sensual/suggestive movie moments ever, even over anything that is more scandalous or from modern times or features WHATEVER, because it is the innocence and the demure night gown and the fluffiness of her hair and the raise of the eyebrows that makes it so surprising and titillating and enticing for ANY man, probably! wink3.gif
(that is the closest smiley I could find to "that look.." haha!)

EDIT: and I am a woman, and I still find it enchanting and foxy. hahaha!
bruno
My favorite scene is when they are sitting on the floor, drinking champagne, eating potatoe ships, and then listening to Rachmaninov's second concerto of piano - She just looks absolutely beautiful there.
lorileime
I just have to add this: My favorite scene is when she pops up in the chair and just says "Hi!". I love that!
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(lorileime @ May 30 2008, 11:57 PM) *
I just have to add this: My favorite scene is when she pops up in the chair and just says "Hi!". I love that!

Oh yes, I love that part too! It's just so adorable! She had such a sweet voice.
dwane
that's one of my fav scenes also, she melts my heart every time. smile1.gif
Bobby
Oh yes! I always zoom in on my DVD to Marilyn's face popping out over the chair when she says 'Hi' to the janitor, then push rewind a few times. It's one of those moments in MM movies that makes you smile every single time you see it, bar none.

Also, don't you think she looks stunningly beautiful out on the sidewalk during 'that' scene? I mean, I know famously, all eyes were on Marilyn's shapely legs but her hair and make-up and everything else is just immaculate and she plays that scene wonderfully.

I have to say, I think my favourite scene (or lines) is (or are) the 'icebox' soliloquy laugh.gif

mmmMarilyn
haha Bobby, I am a big fan of using the zoom for this movie as well! Her sitting in the chair, pondering how to keep herself cool while Richard is trying to figure everything out, I think she looks the most beautiful she ever has in a film--her hair, make up, everything is perfect, the teal/blue chair she is sitting against just makes it all pop, I love it!!!!!

EDIT: also, about the "HI!" ....I actually recorded her "Hi, it's me don't you remember--the tomato from upstairs!" and used it as my answering machine/voice mail thing on my cell phone, and people were always like, WHAT the heck is that? hahahaha!
AdoreMarilynMonroe
I just watched the DVD a week ago, for the millionth time. It is one of my most-played films in my Marilyn DVD collection! Marilyn is a comedic genious in this movie. She has so many adorable moments in it! I particularly love the scene where Sherman is prattling on about psychoanaylsis and "The Girl" is musing to herself about how effective it would be to soak her undies in the icebox to cope with the heat, and then she determines "No, that's too icky!" Marilyn just cracks me up there every time! She's so infectious and adorable when she pops up with that charmimg "Hi!" I also LOVE Marilyn's completely deadpan delivery of "My fan is caught in the door, and when she's expaining the beach photoshoot to Sherman. smile1.gif I also think Sherman comes off more like he is the shall we say; less-smart one of the pair. I'll probably watch this or GPB tomorrow for Marilyn's birthday.
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(AdoreMarilynMonroe @ Jun 1 2008, 03:40 AM) *
I just watched the DVD a week ago, for the millionth time. It is one of my most-played films in my Marilyn DVD collection! Marilyn is a comedic genious in this movie. She has so many adorable moments in it! I particularly love the scene where Sherman is prattling on about psychoanaylsis and "The Girl" is musing to herself about how effective it would be to soak her undies in the icebox to cope with the heat, and then she determines "No, that's too icky!" Marilyn just cracks me up there every time! She's so infectious and adorable when she pops up with that charmimg "Hi!" I also LOVE Marilyn's completely deadpan delivery of "My fan is caught in the door, and when she's expaining the beach photoshoot to Sherman. smile1.gif I also think Sherman comes off more like he is the shall we say; less-smart one of the pair. I'll probably watch this or GPB tomorrow for Marilyn's birthday.

I LOVE that scene! Probably my favorite!
Katri^
QUOTE(AdoreMarilynMonroe @ Jun 1 2008, 03:40 AM) *

That is definitely my favorite scene from all of her films! biggrin.gif She is so serious about the subject that she is talking about to herself!
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(Katri^ @ Jun 1 2008, 07:32 PM) *
She is so serious about the subject that she is talking about to herself!

laugh.gif
abeautifulchild
You know, I was watching this again last night and I realized that this is the only movie where I like every single one of Marilyn's costumes. They all looked fabulous on her and none of them were over the top- or something that only Marilyn could have pulled off (except THAT dress, of course). They were designed by Travilla weren't they? He did an excellent job.

I always come across these two outfits (below), but they aren't in the movie.
Does anyone know why that is and what scenes Marilyn would have worn them in if they had been in the movie?
Elsie Marina
I don't know about the second one but I seem to recall reading that the first one was supposed to be for a Mae West style fantasy. I can't remember where I read that though.
Tara
Yes the first one was based on Mae West, she was going to be a gangster's moll and she and the janitor were going to blackmail Sherman. Billy Wilder said that Marilyn couldn't quite pull off Mae's hard-boiled style so the scene was axed. I wonder if it still exists though - would be great to see it as an extra feature on a DVD.
Tiina
This is probably my favourite Marilyn movie. It's hard to pick a favourite, but I've noticed that if I feel like watching a Marilyn movie I more often than not pick The Seven Year Itch. It's just such a funny movie, both Marilyn and Tom make me laugh my head off every time! I love all the jokes and there are so many memorable scenes in the movie. And so many memorable quotes as well! I love to use them in my every day life lol! laugh.gif Like "Oh sure!" and "I drink like a fish!" smile1.gif "It's real crazy!" "It shakes me! It quakes me! It makes me feel goose-pimply all over!" OMG I can't stop! clapping.gif "I think that's just elegant." throb.gif And Marilyn was so beautiful in this. yes.gif Although she was beautiful in all of her movies but here she just shines. She's Marilyn Monroe!

By the way I love the scene where Sherman screams "Maybe it's Marilyn Monroe!" laughing.gif
Bobby
QUOTE(Tiina @ Jul 11 2008, 07:37 AM) *
And so many memorable quotes as well! I love to use them in my every day life lol!

It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone in doing this laugh.gif
Fabrice
It's also one of my favourites, it's funny and Marilyn is marvellous, smiling, and at the top of her beauty.
mmmMarilyn
I am going to pop this movie in in about two seconds, I am having a SYI craving!!!
Vicoria Hoffman 1975
I just love it how he imagines she will be wearing some sohisticated evening gown and then she turns up in her casual trousers and shirt!
SRT80
ellen
QUOTE(SRT80 @ Aug 8 2008, 09:10 PM) *
I have just started watchin' Marilyn's movies and readin' about her life. All I ever known was just her beauty in photos. So far I have seen "Bus Stop" and "The Seven Year Itch". I really enjoyed both.

"Champagne and potato chips!!!" biggrin.gif

Steve

oooh yes please Steve laugh.gif
mmmMarilyn
I was just watching this last night and found myself laughing even harder than I ever had before--maybe I was in a good mood, but I just found it all to be so hilarious! It was like I was reading into it at a deeper level if that makes sense...everything Marilyn was saying was just so funny to me, and it is almost as if I finally understand how people always say that she was "in on the joke"--I mean, I know she was a very, very smart girl but you can see she's having so much fun with the character she plays, she's almost got a hint of sarcasm in her eyes as she's acting--instead of her movie characters blending and becoming synonymous with "Marilyn Monroe" it seems as though she's ... trying to separate herself from it while still acting it out brilliantly....I know what I'm trying to say but it is not coming out right or intelligibly so I hope somebody else gets it! I am trying to think of an example from the movie but I can't right now....but the bottom line is, I saw this movie in a different light last night!
PS--Does anybody know why Sherman advises The Girl to never put sugar in a martini? I don't drink so I wouldn't know if Sherman is being serious or if that's just a joke?
MissCaswell
Well, there isn't sugar in a martini, it's just not supposed to be a sweet drink I guess smile1.gif

I've always loved the part where the girl tells Sherman about her job on the toothpaste commercial, says her line ("I had onions at lunch, garlic at dinner, but he'll never know...") and then does the classic "Marilyn pose" with open mouth smile and head tilted back, and he says "You do that beautifully". I've always interpreted that as an illustration of how she, as you say, Colby, is in on the joke. They're both in on doing a parody on her Marilyn persona, joking about it.
mmmMarilyn
EXACTLY, that's what it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When she says normally "I kind of sit there like this" and then suddenly BAM she morphs for two seconds and gives the smile and then the shoulders fall, the face drops, her eyes lower, and she continues, "for about 14 seconds, and I get to speak lines too" and then goes back into it--I was DYING laughing over that part just for the reason you said Erica, thanks for jogging my memory!!!
Mezzo
I found this interesting page about the movie and play:
http://www.moviediva.com/MD_root/reviewpag...venYearItch.htm
mmmMarilyn
Cool, thanks Mary!
Mezzo
You're welcome. bye1.gif
princesshapnick
Marilyn was so adorable in this film. And I think it's good that it came out when she was at the highest peak of her fame. This film, along with SLIH, were two of her very best ever, I think. Two ultimate '50s movies.

jumpymm.gif
mazfan
This is true, how come we can watch MMs movies literally over and over and we never get tired of them? They are just hypnotic!

QUOTE(Katri^ @ May 26 2008, 06:19 PM) *
This movie gets better every time I watch it biggrin.gif

When I first watched this, I didn't think that it was very funny. I thought that the jokes were too obvious (not in Marilyn's part, but Ewell's). But you know back then I did have pretty high expectations for the film. But now, I've noticed that everytime I laugh more than the last time.

Marilyn's performance was wonderful! She looked fantastic. I think the part is everything that, people who are not fans, think about Marilyn. MM was at her best during that film. You can see that she enjoyed making the film : )
Kowalczyk
I watched TSYI again today and noticed two things; doubtless they have been before, but anyway:

a. The Rachmaninoff theme is the same one used in Brief Encounter (also about adultery but in a less comedic way!)

b. I think it's pretty funny how the director teases the audience with The Girl's "Textures" photo - he doesn't show it for quite a while and when he does, it's for a split second!
pinup
I dont even think I can remember seeing the 'Textures' picture in the movie... Ah well an excuse to watch it again! lol
Bobby
QUOTE(pinup @ Oct 17 2008, 09:05 PM) *
I dont even think I can remember seeing the 'Textures' picture in the movie... Ah well an excuse to watch it again! lol

Absolutely! Yep, we definitely get a brief glimpse of the photograph and incidentally, I've always wondered whether it's a real photo of Marilyn from a shoot she did in her younger days. Anyone know?

And Angela - you're right, Rachmaninov's second piano concerto was played in Brief 'Encounter' too! Good work! I didn't actually notice it in BE but I did see it in the credits blush.gif
MissCaswell
I paused once to get a better look at the textures pic, and no, it doesn't look like Marilyn to me.
Lacrymosa
We already talked about that,I can't find the thread where I posted the picture but everyone agreed to say it was not Marilyn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.