Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bus Stop
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
Pages: 1, 2
Bobby
I have a quick question that I've wondered about for a long while. How much say did Marilyn have in the casting of Don Murray?

Thanks in advance blush.gif

magda24
It was Joshua Logan that chose Murray after he had seen him in a stage production. Marilyn was apparently not so happy about this choice, especially that Murray had no previous experience in movie industry and was younger than her, which made her uncomfortable. It seems she didn't have much to say or maybe she was willing to trust Logan in the beginning. I think the total lack of chemistry between Murray and Monroe, along with a Don's overacting and Logan's bad directing is one of the main reasons Bus Stop falls short of a masterpiece it could have been.
Bobby
Thank you for your intelligent response, Magda. I think though, that Don's (albeit annoying) acting in the film probably fit the part of the boisterous and uncouth Beau. But I wouldn't disagree about Josh Logan's direction. The climatic scene in particular - with the very close closeups - seemed convoluted at best.

Thanks again for your post though. I'd have thought Marilyn would have had a bigger say in her leading man as she did for TPATS and LML later on. Ah well.
magda24
QUOTE(Bobby @ Aug 16 2009, 12:55 PM) *
Thank you for your intelligent response, Magda. I think though, that Don's (albeit annoying) acting in the film probably fit the part of the boisterous and uncouth Beau. But I wouldn't disagree about Josh Logan's direction. The climatic scene in particular - with the very close closeups - seemed convoluted at best.

Thanks again for your post though. I'd have thought Marilyn would have had a bigger say in her leading man as she did for TPATS and LML later on. Ah well.

Thanks and you're welcome:)
Paju
I just watched this movie again last week and realized I hadn't posted anything about it. This is actually one of my favorite MM movies, and was among the first three movies (GPB and SYI being the two others) I saw. I'm guessing I was about 8 when I first saw Bus Stop. When I was younger, I didn't notice Cherie's lack of certain kind of intelligence or Bo's bordering-on-abusive manners. I actually thought Bo's behavior was funny because people really don't treat each other like that (or so I thought). Maybe that was partly intended as well.

I absolutely adore Marilyn as Cherie, even more each time I watch the movie. Everything about her is perfect. I also like the other women - especially Grace and Vera. Other supporting characters are good as well and different enough from each other. Bo was a bit annoying, but being the romantic that I am, I believe that Cherie and the others manage to help him understand something and that he changes in the end of the movie. He's young and he had to learn. I have always loved the end of the movie. What Cherie really wants is to find a good place in the world, and since Bo has changed for better I believe he can provide that for her. Have you ever thought of what might have happened to someone like Cherie had she reached her beloved "Hollywood & Vine"?

My favorite things and scenes have a lot to do with Marilyn. Without her, the movie would not have been nearly as good as it is now. I have always loved the scene where Bo rips Cherie's tail and she gets angry. Marilyn just holds the movie together and makes it interesting. No-one could have been a better Cherie.
sugarkane20
What outfits did Billy design for this movie? I always see his named mentioned for this movie, didn't Marilyn wear used clothes?

CYRILPARIS
from Marilyn Monroe Metamorphosis by David Wills and Stephen Schmidt
Diamond

Don't have it on DVD yet but I've seen it on internet one day!
Marilyn really impressed me in this film, she's so ... (I think there's no word to express my feeling in every movie no.gif)
flowing stream
Hi all,
Have just been informed by the seller that my copy of Bus Stop on Blu Ray as been shipped! The original release date was supposed to be 30 July. So they got it out earlier! Yay!!!! jumpymm.gif
marilyn144
Blu-Ray !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! clapping.gif.
marilyn144
hope you like it.!!!
bruno
Thanks a lot, the difference between the B-Ray and the standard DVD version is very visible.
Stacy
marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Fav
I just found out that Milton and Marilyn wanted Rock Hudson to play Don Murrays part in this movie and Rock turned it down because Milton had once turned down photographing him for Life magazine. It's at about 23 or 24 minutes in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_3SYInn9g&t=1500s Imagine how different it would have been with Rock Hudson in it.
JC 96816
marilynbybrandon_190.gif Stacy, fixed this one up for you. and made a black and white...adding it in Bus Stop...I upscaled it but it would not attach here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.