Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Prince And The Showgirl
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Bobby
The only Marilyn movie that was filmed outside North America, The Prince and the Showgirl, co-starred Sir Lawrence Olivier who also directed the movie. It was an adapted version of the Terrance Rattigan play The Sleeping Prince, which had been a big hit on the stage. Marilyn played a chorus girl named Elsie Marina who caught the eye of the King of Carpathia (Olivier) but soon proved too much to handle for the stubborn foreigner.

This, in my opinion, is Marilyn's best performance. I adore the character of Elsie and Marilyn's acting in this film proves she can cut it when given roles outside her 'dumb blonde' stereotype. The 'drunk' scene is just wonderful from start to finish; or rather Marilyn is wonderful in it. It's by far my favourite scene from any MM film and as I say, I believe it's Marilyn finest hour. What do you think?
magda24
I totally agree Bobby. Marilyn is so efortless and funny here. I also kind of like Olivier's performance. He's accused of being too stiff but this was exactly how his character was supposed to be. There are some wooden scenes there, the plot is not really exciting but what is exciting is to see the two greatest actors of those times in a sexy duel like this. I remember reading that when Vivien Leigh saw the first unedited rushes she said sth like: "I didn't know she was going to be that beautiful" and there was a sudden sadness in her voice. and it's true, Marilyn is at a peak of her beauty IMO, not as a sex bomb but as a true beauty of our times.
Bobby
QUOTE(magda24 @ May 26 2008, 04:59 PM) *
I also kind of like Olivier's performance. He's accused of being too stiff but this was exactly how his character was supposed to be.

Interestingly, I totally agree. Even Olivier himself criticised his performance but I found it suitable to the character. It's cool that I forgot to mention that in the first post but you held that opinion also coolio.gif

In my view, Marilyn's at her peak as an actress, both in her acting performance and also physically. Simply outstanding in every aspect.
Katri^
I think this is one of my favorite movies. Marilyn is not only stunningly beautiful, but you can really see here that she was very, very talented.

Her perfomance truly outshined Laurence Olivier's, though I don't think that Olivier did a bad job either. I was actually quite surprised that he was that good in it.
The drunk scene has to be one of Marilyn's best ones. She is just so funny! biggrin.gif And it's probably the best scene in the whole film.

Elsie as a character is so cute, too. She is definitely my favorite character of Marilyn's, she is so sweet. A bit like MM, though Marilyn in real life was more clever obviously. : D
Elsie Marina
I absolutly adore this film (obviously laugh.gif) I think Marilyn and Olivier are both fantastic in it and there are some moments that are truely breathtakingly beautiful.
Tara
I'm not a huge fan of this movie, but Marilyn gives one of her best performances. I find it a bit meandering and dull. There are some witty moments but the energy saps when Marilyn isn't around. What I like about Marilyn here is her utter ease on camera, she has been compared to Chaplin or Garbo by some critics. Everything she does here is graceful. I find Olivier a bit pompous but that's how his character is meant to be. I also enjoyed Sybil Thorndyke and Richard Wattis's encounters with Marilyn. The coronation scene, though much too long, gives Marilyn's beauty, as lovingly photographed by Jack Cardiff, a chance to shine. I also like the bittersweet ending, it adds a touch of realism that is often lacking in romantic comedy.
mmmMarilyn
I think Marilyn looks insanely lovely in this film--like an English garden! All pink and ivory and pretty. I like her little dance practice she does without realizing "Nicky" is watching (who is a total hunk, by the way....) and I think she is cute and witty and delicate in this film. I also love that her voice was a little higher than usual. One of my favorite moments is when she's out on the balcony, describing Olivier to her girlfriends--pretty much describing what a goober loser he is, but how she thinks he's so cute she could just eat him up! Love this movie. : )
marilynfanonline
I have always found that this film is very slow moving and in most parts dull in terms of narrative and scenes. Marilyn of course is beautiful and looks refresingly natural and alot younger than she would only 18 months later in Some Like it Hot!

There are some great cinematic moments such as the final scene wherein Monroe walks out of the Embassy and onto the street at the grand doors close behind her. Also the scene in which she appears the next morning in the bed sheet, the band music really compliments her and there scene is one of the more entertaining of the film.

The corrination scene is almost unessiscary in length and tends to slow the film down alot.

I feel that Marilyn's artistic position at the time would have allowed her to choose and develop any project she wanted too. I could understand how she would want to take a more mature and professional role. One can only imagen how great the project would have looked on paper, set in turn of the century england starring Olivier as her director/leading man. Marilyn perhaps saw this as a grand Gone With The Wind production. I think she would have been better in a great drama, film noir type.

Then again with the benefit of hindsight one can easily make these alterations smile1.gif

lorileime
I love Marilyn in this film. She's witty, funny, even accessible. My favorite scene is when she's with Nicky and he's nervously wondering if she's told his father about his plans. She's turns to him and says, "Don't worry, I don't tell tales." The expression on her face is just perfect. I love it. As far as the film, it is a bit dull at times and the coronation scene makes me want to chew off my own arm for fun. Way too long! Marilyn out-performs Olivier by a mile in this role. I sometimes think it would have worked better if he only had to act and someone else could have directed. Does anyone know if he directed himself when he played this role on stage with Leigh? I doubt it. Overall, though, Marilyn shines in this movie and if only on performance I would have considered this tops. (one thing, I do agree with Lady Dowerger, an ocassional change costume would be quite suitable)
Bobby
I agree that the coronation scene is needlessly long; I always fast-forward that part. Also, not yet mentioned, but I really didn't like the random bout of singing from Elsie. It seemed totally out of place and ended up looking quite ridiculous,

Tara, I whole-heartedly concur with your point about the ending. It's just wonderful, especially the long view camerawork as Elsie leaves the embassy.

If anyone believes Marilyn was an actress of limited or minor talents, I highly suggest they watch this picture. She was never better, in my opinion biggrin.gif

magda24
I love the coronation scene!!!It's wonderful how we can only see it by looking at her beautiful face!There's no splendour shown and yet her face shines like a diamond. But I love this movie as a whole. I always cry a little when it ends..
Alanma
The finished film was not as planned.The Coronation scene was vastly extended by use of clips from Queen Elizabeth 11 Coronation of 1953. Badly done, too. The colour values are all to pot.It was insisted on by Warner Bros who thought it would increase American ticket sales. Anything 'Royal' was big business in the USA then.A sad victim of worries over costs were song-and-dance routines for Marilyn, chopped before production. The idea had been to show the Prince in the Royal Box at the Theatre enjoying the Show, watching Marilyn perform.Some other scenes got the chop too. A good chunk of the Seduction scene, and a whole sequence of a tea-party held by the Queen Dowager at the Embassy after the Coronation. This had a lovely scene between Elsie and the Dowager.They were cut as the pasting in of the Abbey scene made the film overlong.The film does drag a little at times I suppose; but it was an adaptation of a West End stage play, adapted, played and directed by a cast long marinated in the West End theatrical traditions.Marilyn did not like that 'I Found a Dream' song at all, and thought it was dreary.None the less, despite the problems she had, Marilyn is at her loveliest, and just pushes Dear Larry off the screen in the end!
These are 'chopped' bits'
This is from the tea-party scene.

Queen Dowager. 'Ah, Charles, my dear. Dear Miss Marina, she has been such a help to me all day.It is hard to tell you just how good she has been. And so erudite! Do you know,there is hardly a French author whom she has not read? To every name I give her she just answers 'Oui!' So modest and charming. And she looked most handsome at the Abbey I thought, didn't you, my dear?'

Prince Regent. 'Most handsome. But I hope you realise, my dear, that she has an engagement from which we must not keep her. She must shortly go to her theatre..

Dowager. 'Theatre? What theatre? Are you giving something tonight, my dear? I had no idea. How exciting. What are you giving?'

Elsie. [in a small voice] 'The Coconut Girl'

Dowager. 'I didn't quite catch that, my dear. Speak a little more clearly. What is the name of your role?'

Elsie. 'Mamie'.

Dowager. 'Mimi! Ah yes. Of course. I know it well. Puccini!'

Elsie. 'Well....not exactly.'

Dowager. 'But of course it is! You are giving it tonight as a special performance?'

Elsie. 'Oh, no. Why, it has already been running for six months.'

Dowager. [Startled]. 'My dear, such a role, so many times - how dreadfully tired you must be. But, of course, you must leave at once and go to your own house where you must rest. When I am tired and have an important engagement I usually have massage. No doubt one of your maids is practiced in the craft. Goodbye, my dear. So delightful.'

Elsie . 'Goodbye, Ma'am, and thank you so much - so much - more than I can say..'

................................................................................

This follows the part where the young Nicolas is sent back to bed by his father after protesting about the arrest of Wolffstein.

Prince. '.....it was most unfortunate that you should have been a witness to one of our little family quarrels. I'm so sorry to have embarrassed you.'

Elsie [wide eyed] But he's your son, isn't he?

Prince Yes.

Elsie. Your real son? Not your stepson or anything?

Prince. No

Elsie. Your only son?

Prince. Yes.

Elsie [appalled] Well!! Do you know - a moment ago I was good and mad at you.

Prince. Good and mad?

Elsie. Now I just feel terribly sorry for you. Oh, you poor, poor man! Why, it must be just terrible to have your son talking to you that way.

Prince. A little disagreement in policy, that is all. But why were you good and mad at me?

Elsie [severely] Well, for putting people in prison for no reason and keeping them there without a proper charge and cooking up evidence - yes, I heard you - I think it's all absolutely disgraceful. And if you want to know, I think the American State Department was absolutely right to protest. Incidentally, as I told you just now, only I don't think you heard me, - I am an American myself.

Prince. Are you indeed, Miss Marina?

Elsie. Yes, your Grand Ducal, that's what I am - an American citizen and proud of it!

Prince. [politely] So you should be.

Elsie The Rights of Man - Government of the People, for the.....[hiccups] ......and the rest of it. Oh, and Habeas Corpus - which is English really - but it's American too -

Prince. Yes, I have heard of it.

Elsie. [severely] And that means you don't just go around arresting people for no good reason. Poor Mr......what's his name......Wolffstein. He's probably got a wife - and a family - and, oh, it's dreadful I honestly don't know how you could do a thing like that. Oh, how could you.

Prince. Because in this case I believe that the end justifies the means.

Elsie. Ah, now, I could give an answer to that, if I'd had a little less to drink. [ponders a moment , then triumphantly]..
I know. If the means are bad the end cannot be good. [Surprised] Who said that?

Prince. You did, I think.

Elsie. Did I? Imagine!

Prince. But in this case, you see, the end is world peace. Is that not an end good in itself?

Elsie. You mean this Wolffstein guy wants to make a War?

Prince. It comes to that.

ELsie. [At length] Difficult, isn't it?

Prince. Very. [phone rings] Excuse me.

Elsie. Oh darn it. Just when we were getting to be comfortable, and with a little thinking out I might easily have gotten a solution to your whole problem.
Katri^
Thank you Alan! biggrin.gif I would have loved to see those scenes.
lorileime
Thank you Alan. Wonderful stuff. Funny, I always loved Marilyn singing "I Found A Dream". Would love to hear the whole song, if it ever was one. LOL
Bobby
Thanks so much for sharing that priceless information with us Alan biggrin.gif I was wondering though, how many - if any - of the deleted scenes you mentioned were actually filmed? Were any of the music numbers ever filmed?
dwane
despite marilyn's parts i found this movie pretty terrible. olivier is my second least favorite of marilyn's leading men (yves montand being the first tongue.gif ) just because he's so dry. i think marilyn shines in this film but i wouldn't give it a very high rating.
Alanma
The 'Coconut Girl' song-and-dance routines were never made, but dropped at the very outset.
They weren't in the original play anyway. I don't know who suggested them, but they would have made good narrative sense and jollied up the film nicely.
The other scenes were made, but cut at the final edit to keep down the running time. A great shame, because they are good and funny scenes for Elsie and very short. There was plenty of 'padding' elsewhere that could have gone instead, I think.
It is rewarding to read them through with the proper voices in your head!

When evaluating one of Marilyn's films, it really is necessary to be clear what you are looking at it as
a whole, as a piece of film history, or as an example of Marilyn's skills and achievements as a comic actress.
I would rank TPATSG fairly low for the first, but very highly for the second.
mmmMarilyn
You are priceless, timeless and wonderful Alan--just like the film!
abeautifulchild
Marilyn was absolutely wonderful in this! She was funny, but also- Elsie was different than her previous comedic roles and her future one as Sugar Kane. Elsie wasn't actually dumb, she was just lively and full of fun. I agree that she was great in the scene where she gets drunk, I loved it. Olivier's perfomance in the film was so/so. It's true that is how the Regent was supposed to behave, but still Marilyn outshines him (the greatest actor of all time!) anyway. I loved Dame Sybil (I love the scene where Marilyn meets her and she doesn't know what she's talking about smile1.gif ) and Nicky, they were great and it was fun to see Marilyn play opposite them. This movie would have been nothing without MM as always, IMO the storyline was flawed to say the least and I just didn't find it interesting w/o her. The first time I saw it I couldn't even finish it, I only got half-way through, I mean that's how boring I found it (not because of Marilyn of course, but the movie just didn't flow). But the second time around I just watched Marilyn's scenes and I came to love it. The ending was disappointing and it made the whole film rather pointless IMO. Marilyn's look was different than in all her other films besides The Misfits, and I thought that she looked especially gorgeous, but in a different kind of way. All in all this is among my very favorite films, she was so adorable.
Alanma
'I think this is one of my favorite movies. Marilyn is not only stunningly beautiful ....'

Katri is right.

Jack Cardiff took a lot of trouble over lighting Marilyn.
When the first rushes were shown - the scene where Marilyn meets the Dowager - Marilyn turned round to Cardiff and said 'But you've made me look beautiful!'
lorileime
As an aside: Is this the only movie in which MM says a little curse word? "Oh, the hell with it". I don't seem to recall her using any other such language anywhere else. Am I right?
mmmMarilyn
That's so funny Tony, we must be connected at the brain...I was literally floating in my pool yesterday, and that thought randomly popped into my head--and I think it is the only time we hear her curse! How funny is that?
lorileime
QUOTE(mmmMarilyn @ May 30 2008, 09:29 PM) *
That's so funny Tony, we must be connected at the brain...I was literally floating in my pool yesterday, and that thought randomly popped into my head--and I think it is the only time we hear her curse! How funny is that?

That makes me a little jealous "...floating in my pool..." Were you being waited on hand and foot by servants, too? LOL
Bobby
QUOTE(Alanma @ May 30 2008, 07:48 PM) *
When the first rushes were shown - the scene where Marilyn meets the Dowager - Marilyn turned round to Cardiff and said 'But you've made me look beautiful!'

I adore such seemingly insignificant little anecdotes like that about Marilyn; they're all so candidly charming. Thanks yet again for sharing that with us Alan biggrin.gif
Alanma
Jack Cardiff tells a similar anecdote from when he took the 'Renoir Girl' pictures of Marilyn.
Marilyn signed a copy for him and inscribed it -

'Dearest Jack, if only I could be the way you created me. I love you. Marilyn'
mmmMarilyn
QUOTE(lorileime @ May 30 2008, 10:24 PM) *
That makes me a little jealous "...floating in my pool..." Were you being waited on hand and foot by servants, too? LOL

haha, most certainly not--it was FREEZING and covered in whirlie birds or whirlie gigs or helicopters or whatever you want to call those annoying little things. Maybe the freezing cold water caused me to have that strange thought because I got out soon afterwards to get warm! heehee.
BeforeTheDawn
This is my favorite Marilyn Monroe film of all times.. clapping.gif

abeautifulchild
QUOTE(Alanma @ May 30 2008, 08:48 PM) *
'I think this is one of my favorite movies. Marilyn is not only stunningly beautiful ....'

Katri is right.

Jack Cardiff took a lot of trouble over lighting Marilyn.

Yes.

I was watching this movie again last night and I was amazed at how particuarly gorgeous she was.
Not particuarly as sexy as she usually is, but just a very natural & great beauty.

Besides her first scene (when her shoulder strap breaks) of course, I don't think I've ever seen her wear this little make-up in a movie...
And yet she shines and is stunning.
Elsie Marina
My all time favourite Marilyn film, she is so natural and perfect in this film. clapping.gif
abeautifulchild
I love the part when she's telling the Regent how she expected to be so seduced by him that she didn't know if she could fight it- and then she jumps up and goes, "Oh, but I'd win it of course! I always do." laugh.gif
Elsie Marina
laugh.gif

My favourite bit is when the Duke first comes in the embassy and Elsie keeps mucking up his title and after she is corrected again she says "Oh to hell with it" laugh.gif
abeautifulchild
Heehee

I love it when she goes,

"You made a pass and I turned it down, that's all that happened. We can still be friendly."

&

"Do they all fall so easy as that? I mean those Maisie Springfields and all those others?"

biggrin.gif
Elsie Marina
laugh.gif Oh yeah those are funny bits too!

Oo and when she is in the carriage on the way to the coronation and is waving to her friends then when she sits back down the Duke smiles at her (just a little) and she slowly smiles back-breathtaking!
abeautifulchild
Oh yes definitely!! There are a lot of great little moments in this movie.
Elsie Marina
Thats why I love it so yes.gif
Alanma
I thought I'd posted this before on this site, but when I searched I could not find it, so possibly not.

Here is a little behind-the-scenes incident that may amuse you.
Next time you watch TPATS, look carefully for this scene.
The scene is at the end of the 'seduction' evening where the Prince is offended by a drunken Elsie, and orders her home 'in the motor'.
Elsie goes to get her wrap, remembers at the last minute to 'back out' of the Royal presence, does so saying "Sorry!", opens and goes through the door, then closes it.
Then, 'Cut'.
According to the published script, that is!
This sequence caused Marilyn a lot of trouble. She had to act drunk, say her line, walk backwards bowing, find the door handle without fumbling, go thru the door and shut it without banging into the scenery - all without tangling her high heels in the frill of that dress.
Marilyn was livid to find out that the crew, and Olivier, were running bets on how many takes she would need.
The evening before it was scheduled, Marilyn came home in costume.
She had measured up all the marks. I was made to stand in for Olivier - as something for Marilyn to focus her eyes on - and she practiced.
Over and over. Marilyn kept tripping up on that dress .
Eventually she got it.
The next day, Marilyn went onto the set, and did it, first go.
Marilyn was so pleased at the sour expression of disappointment on the faces of the crew, she could not resist immediately opening the door again and taunting Olivier with "Pretty Good, Ha?"
Olivier's stalking off in a rage was not acting.
When she got home, Marilyn gave me a little hug and said "One take, honey! One take".
She was in a sprightly good humour for days after.

Technically it was an outtake, but was so funny, they kept it in!
magda24
Great story Alan, as always.Thanks!I just imagine the look on her face saying those words!
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(Alanma @ Jun 17 2008, 10:06 PM) *
I thought I'd posted this before on this site, but when I searched I could not find it, so possibly not.

The scene is at the end of the 'seduction' evening where the Prince is offended by a drunken Elsie, and orders her home 'in the motor'.
Elsie goes to get her wrap, remembers at the last minute to 'back out' of the Royal presence, does so saying "Sorry!", opens and goes through the door, then closes it.
Then, 'Cut'.
This sequence caused Marilyn a lot of trouble. She had to act drunk, say her line, walk backwards bowing, find the door handle without fumbling, go thru the door and shut it without banging into the scenery - all without tangling her high heels in the frill of that dress.
Marilyn was livid to find out that the crew, and Olivier, were running bets on how many takes she would need.
She had measured up all the marks. I was made to stand in for Olivier - as something for Marilyn to focus her eyes on - and she practiced.
Eventually she got it.
Marilyn was so pleased at the sour expression of disappointment on the faces of the crew, she could not resist immediately opening the door again and taunting Olivier with "Pretty Good, Ha?"
When she got home, Marilyn gave me a little hug and said "One take, honey! One take".

laugh.gif

Thank you so much, Alan.
mmmMarilyn
Alan--I remember that story although I think it was on marilynmonroe.com which I was also a member of, so many people will be hearing it for the first time here--but it is just as good and adorable the second time around, thanks so much for telling it! : )
Elsie Marina
That is one of my all time favourite Marilyn anecdotes clapping.gif
Kowalczyk
QUOTE(Alanma @ Jun 18 2008, 12:06 AM) *

Then, 'Cut'.
Eventually she got it.

Thank you so much for that, Alan! laugh.gif

Especially:

and

Haha, I found those sentences very funny. wink3.gif
dwane
i just watched this movie again last night and it was AMAZING!!!! it's definately one of my new favorite marilyn movies. she was soooo funny and he wasn't too bad either. i was cracking up so many times while i was watching this, even her facial expressions get me!

i love when she hears him laugh and she imitates it, it was so cute and funny. also the look she gives that kid after she hears that he's going to get rid of his father. i think this was one of her greatest performances.

i guess 3rd times the charm! smile1.gif

i also love that line "pretty good, huh?" and "you look so cute when your mad!" also when she's pouring the champagne, that was amazing.

a new favorite! smile1.gif
mmmMarilyn
that is one of my favorite moments too Dwane---her bobbing her head and making fun of his goofy laughter, and then like, rolling her eyes, it is so genius!
Kowalczyk
I've only seen it twice (yet tongue.gif) but I think TPATS will be one of those ones that gets better each time. smile1.gif
Katri^
QUOTE(Kowalczyk @ Jun 27 2008, 10:09 PM) *
I've only seen it twice (yet tongue.gif) but I think TPATS will be one of those ones that gets better each time. smile1.gif

At least to me it definitely is! This movie has to be my favorite (with Some like it hot). I watched this about a week ago, and I keep noticing these funny things that I didn't see before!
Kowalczyk
QUOTE(Katri^ @ Jun 28 2008, 05:26 PM) *
I keep noticing these funny things that I didn't see before!

I love films like that! clapping.gif
MisterPinkNoTip
QUOTE(Tara @ May 26 2008, 07:37 PM) *
I'm not a huge fan of this movie, but Marilyn gives one of her best performances. I find it a bit meandering and dull. There are some witty moments but the energy saps when Marilyn isn't around. What I like about Marilyn here is her utter ease on camera, she has been compared to Chaplin or Garbo by some critics. Everything she does here is graceful. I find Olivier a bit pompous but that's how his character is meant to be. I also enjoyed Sybil Thorndyke and Richard Wattis's encounters with Marilyn. The coronation scene, though much too long, gives Marilyn's beauty, as lovingly photographed by Jack Cardiff, a chance to shine. I also like the bittersweet ending, it adds a touch of realism that is often lacking in romantic comedy.

I completely agree. Although I think Marilyn gives a wonderful performance, I find the movie dull as well. Something about the film (aside from Marilyn's acting) seemed forced.
Alanma
There are lots of references to the Duke of Strelitz, but we never see him.
He was there originally, but completely removed [I wonder who was playing him?]

This is another bit from the post-Coronation teaparty scene that was cut, in which said Duke did appear, if briefly.

Queen Dowager, to Elsie. 'Ah, my dear, such a catastrophe. Won't you take tea, my dear?'

Elsie. 'No, thank you'

QD. 'Well, come and sit down.'

Elsie. 'What catastrophe, Ma'am?'

QD 'The Duke of Strelitz and his marriage. You know all about, of course.'

Elsie. 'Well, no, I don't, Ma'am.'

QD. 'But, my dear, such a scandal. How could you not have heard? A most brilliant man. As King of Styria he gave ten years of most devoted work towards bringing his country into alliance with the Emperor, and then, suddenly - pouf! - he marries an actress'.

Elsie 'Oh ..... '

QD 'Ach, my dear, forgive me. But you understand that there are actresses and actresses, and this was an actress.'

Elsie 'I see. Well, what happened?'

QD 'What do you expect? Ruin, naturally!'
Bobby
I can just picture that scene in my head - it'd have been nice to have seen more scenes with Elsie and the Queen Dowager.

Thank you for posting this Alan thumbup1.gif
Kowalczyk
Thank you for everything you tell us Alan, I always find it so interesting. smile1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.