Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's Make Love
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
Pages: 1, 2
Bobby
A film best remembered for the real-life fling between its on screen leads, Let's Make Love was released in September 1960 and was directed by George Cukor. Marilyn famously (allegedly) had an affair with co-star Yves Montand who was acting in his breakthrough role outside Europe. Gregory Peck backed out of the project after several script re-writes from Arthur Miller, which put more emphasis on Marilyn's character, Amanda Dell.

I enjoyed watching this film. It's a shame there isn't more Marilyn but the 'My Heart Belongs to Daddy' sequence more than makes up for that and in my opinion rivals 'Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend' as Marilyn's best on-screen musical performance. But even in the scenes without Marilyn, I thought Montand did very well - particularly in the scenes involving Milton Berle, Bing Crosby and Gene Kelly. What did you think?

magda24
I remember LOVING this movie as a kid. Now, I have mixed feelings. Love the musical numbers, some dialogues are quite funny and the acting is not bad. And I find Marilyn beautiful, even if slightly overweight. What is curious for me that in every Marilyn biography I read it says that LML kind of failed in the box office, while on IMDB it says that it earned 3 million dolars. it's pretty much for 1960, isn't it?So was it a flop or not?
Tara
It's not one of my favourite MM movies. I like her rehearsal scenes, and My Heart Belongs To Daddy is superb. But the script isn't as sharp as it should be, and it seems to drag on forever. I wonder what someone like Billy Wilder might have done with it. George Cukor's direction doesn't seem to bring out the best in Marilyn, which is strange because he worked so well with other actresses. Also I find Yves Montand very awkward but it was his first English-speaking movie, so it must have been difficult for him.
lorileime
I hope no one hates me for saying this but LML is probably the worst movie ever made. The story line is lame and the characters are so underdeveloped that they're completely flat. I would have loved to concetrate more on Amanda's relationship with her Pastor father and less on Jean Marc's inablility to woo someone without his money. The only redeeming scenes are the Daddy number and the the very very end of the film when Marilyn and Yves are in the elevator and he's singing to her. That it. I remember reading that Marilyn was in such a state during the filming of this movie that there are so many cut and pasted scenes. You can really see this in the scene at the Chinese restaurant when the photography goes back and forth between Marilyn and Montand. If you watch closely you can see how Marilyn never blocked a single take there. Everytime the camera goes to Montand and then back to Marilyn, she is in a different position from the last time or her hair is different or her clothes are draped differently. I have often felt that those scenes might not even be Marilyn but Evelyn Moriarty. Next time you watch it, look closely.
marilynfanonline
I just think this was the kind of material that would have worked for Marilyn around 1951/52. Let's face it she was getting older and I feel that in this film she looked it. She looked older than the other chorus girls and clearly out of place in this dumb excuse for a musical.

Point proven that Fox was offering her crap basically.
Bobby
Crikey, those are some damning reports! I personally didn't and don't think it's as bad as all that. I'm surprised how little screen time Marilyn is given (especially considering Miller had edited the script to give 'Amanda' a bigger role) but as I said above, I quite enjoyed Montand's scenes. I found the plot interesting and really, the only problem I have with the film is its lack of Marilyn - I mean, if you've got MM, you should use her as much as possible.

I disagree that she looked out of place. Also, I've never agreed with this theory that Marilyn looked so chunky and/or old. Clearly, she's carriyng a couple more pounds than Lorelei Lee for example but there's no way - in my opinion at least - she looks grossly overweight, or indeed overweight at all.
Katri^
I don't think this movie is that bad at all! I enjoy watching it. I like the songs and the story is ok too. Actually the story itself is nice, but I don't like the script in some scenes.

Marilyn definitely wasn't at her best, but I wouldn't say that she looked old or anything either. Sure, she did look a bit chubbier (but I think that's only cute!), and she was getting older, but only a bit. There isn't that much change in her. I think it was the hair that made her look "not-so-good"!

Not a great film, but not a bad film either. In the middle, I guess. : ) I definitely like this more than RONR, for example.
mmmMarilyn
I like this movie, I don't love it. My sister and I enjoy performing at MM and Frankie Vaughan and singing "Specialization," and I think Yves Montand is super handsome and actually pretty funny in a cute frenchman way. There is just something about the look of the film that is stale for me--there isn't much color (MM's teal leotard, blue sparkly "Let's Make Love" number dress, and red lipstick stand out for me) Everybody is always wearing black or tan, the inside of the theater is dark, it all looks so gloomy. And yes, she was a little bigger and looked a little older but was still cute. Some of the lines were funny, some were corny, overall I don't mind it and will pop it in whenever I feel like singing.
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(lorileime @ May 27 2008, 12:25 AM) *
I hope no one hates me for saying this but LML is probably the worst movie ever made.

I agree, there's not much else to say. As Marilyn said, she hardly even had a part. And I hate to say it, but Marilyn looks the worst she ever had on screen. Yves Montand was awful in this, he was dull and you couldn't understand him and anyway he just wasn't right for this type of movie. Hated it, hated it, hated it. Perhaps it could have been good if they could have gotten Rock Hudson. And I agree with Tara, maybe Billy Wilder could have made this one great. A good movie starts with a good director, and obviously Cukor was not up to par.
bruno
A little overweight, probably, but her face looks more mature, and it gives her a particular charm that remains long after the film has ended. Her hairstyle is also more modern, and simple, which I appreciate. I think most of her close-ups are really beautiful.
Her acting is quite honest -except may be in a couple of scenes, like when Montand tells her who he is for the first time, in the theater. Overall, I ratherr like her in it.
But the movie itself...brrrrh !
Montand was not very subtle, but the screenplay did not help. Heavy heavy heavy.
I think Milton's Berle appearance is a failure -not funny at all, and far too long .
But there are still some charming moments, and "my heart belongs to daddy" is, according to me, one of her best musical performances -even better than Diamond's (much more inventive).
One important thing also : she is not of course a brilliant woman, but at least not as stupid as most of her earlier characters, and this is quite a thing.
Katri^
QUOTE(bruno @ May 30 2008, 09:55 PM) *
A little overweight, probably, but her face looks more mature, and it gives her a particular charm that remains long after the film has ended. Her hairstyle is also more modern, and simple, which I appreciate. I think most of her close-ups are really beautiful.
Her acting is quite honest -except may be in a couple of scenes, like when Montand tells her who he is for the first time, in the theater. Overall, I ratherr like her in it.
But the movie itself...brrrrh !
Montand was not very subtle, but the screenplay did not help. Heavy heavy heavy.
I think Milton's Berle appearance is a failure -not funny at all, and far too long .
But there are still some charming moments, and "my heart belongs to daddy" is, according to me, one of her best musical performances -even better than Diamond's (much more inventive).
One important thing also : she is not of course a brilliant woman, but at least not as stupid as most of her earlier characters, and this is quite a thing.

I agree. That scene is awful. rolleyes1.gif
JanCollector
QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ May 28 2008, 02:36 AM) *
I agree, there's not much else to say. As Marilyn said, she hardly even had a part. And I hate to say it, but Marilyn looks the worst she ever had on screen. Yves Montand was awful in this, he was dull and you couldn't understand him and anyway he just wasn't right for this type of movie. Hated it, hated it, hated it. Perhaps it could have been good if they could have gotten Rock Hudson. And I agree with Tara, maybe Billy Wilder could have made this one great. A good movie starts with a good director, and obviously Cukor was not up to par.

I think a good movie starts with a good script. Wilder made his fair share of duds, too (most after 1963). I think he would have had a keener sense of pacing than Cukor, but I don't think his presence alone would have been enough to save the film since the script was completely unserviceable.
Bobby
I think it should be pointed out that George Cukor has, and had, a very rich pedigree for making great pictures. He directed some real classics; The Philadelphia Story, Dinner at Eight, A Star is Born, Little Women, My Fair Lady. He seems to be taking a bit of stick in this thread!

For those who dislike LML - is the director the major problem do you think?
Katri^
In the many scenes that I don't like, to me it's the director. It would have been very much different with some other director. : (
JanCollector
QUOTE(Bobby @ Jun 1 2008, 05:18 PM) *
I think it should be pointed out that George Cukor has, and had, a very rich pedigree for making great pictures. He directed some real classics; The Philadelphia Story, Dinner at Eight, A Star is Born, Little Women, My Fair Lady. He seems to be taking a bit of stick in this thread!

For me it's the script.

Cukor will always be disliked by many Marilyn fans because of his lack of appreciation and respect for her.
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(JanCollector @ Jun 1 2008, 04:44 PM) *
I think a good movie starts with a good script. Wilder made his fair share of duds, too (most after 1963). I think he would have had a keener sense of pacing than Cukor, but I don't think his presence alone would have been enough to save the film since the script was completely unserviceable.

QUOTE(Bobby @ Jun 1 2008, 05:18 PM) *

I just think that the movie could have been salvaged if maybe another director was put in and there was another lead actor. Yes, the storyline wasn't completely original, but it could have been great. I mean look at Gentlemen Prefer Blondes- the plot wasn't the greatest but the actors, the jokes, the dance numbers etc. made it.

And I don't know, but I think that Yves Montand never would seem right for the part, no matter if he was just learning English or not, because he just doesn't look believeable to me. I mean he certainly looks like a snobbish billionaire, but a song and dance happy go lucky guy? Not in my book.

And as far as Cukor is concerned, yes, he had some good films to his name, certainly. But we all know the hell he reaked on the set of SGTG. MM wanted to replace him with Jean Negulsco I think for this reason. She said it herself in the Person to Person interview: "more important than the story I think is the director because a director usually has a good story- a GOOD director usually has a good story..."
JanCollector
QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 1 2008, 06:40 PM) *
I just think that the movie could have been salvaged if maybe another director was put in and there was another lead actor. Yes, the storyline wasn't completely original, but it could have been great. I mean look at Gentlemen Prefer Blondes- the plot wasn't the greatest but the actors, the jokes, the dance numbers etc. made it.

And I don't know, but I think that Yves Montand never would seem right for the part, no matter if he was just learning English or not, because he just doesn't look believeable to me. I mean he certainly looks like a snobbish billionaire, but a song and dance happy go lucky guy? Not in my book.

And as far as Cukor is concerned, yes, he had some good films to his name, certainly. But were those films comedies? Most were dramas. And we all know the hell he reaked on the set of SGTG. MM wanted to replace him with Jean Negulsco I think for this reason. She said it herself in the Person to Person interview: "more important than the story I think is the director because a director usually has a good story- a GOOD director usually has a good story..."

Cukor directed many classic, Oscar-winning comedies in the 30's and 40's. By the 60's he was pretty washed up (he had a brief renaissance with My Fair Lady in 1964).
Tara
Wilder was originally slated to direct LML, however after the tribulations of SLIH I don't know if that would have worked out. I thought he might have injected some humour into the script though. And I agree, Cukor was a great women's director - that's why I can't understand why his work with Marilyn wasn't better.
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(JanCollector @ Jun 1 2008, 06:43 PM) *
Cukor directed many classic, Oscar-winning comedies in the 30's and 40's. By the 60's he was pretty washed up (he had a brief renaissance with My Fair Lady in 1964).

Oh. I have to say, I'm not really familiar with his work, but whenever I think of him as a director outside MM I always think of Little Women biggrin.gif

I still stand by the fact that I think the movie would have been better if there was a different director, though.
JanCollector
QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 1 2008, 06:47 PM) *
Oh. I have to say, I'm not really familiar with his work, but whenever I think of him as a director outside MM I always think of Little Women biggrin.gif I still stand by the fact that I think the movie would have been better if there was a different director, though.
I agree with you. It would have been a better picture because another director might have treated Marilyn better, and probably would have had a keener sense of pacing. Cukor was really at home working with a witty, dialogue-driven script, which is why he often worked with Katharine Hepburn. Honestly for Cukor the script always determined the quality of the picture.Yves Montand is one big wet fish, though. Perhaps the worst leading man she ever had? It should have been Dean Martin in this role.
QUOTE(Tara @ Jun 1 2008, 06:46 PM) *
Wilder was originally slated to direct LML, however after the tribulations of SLIH I don't know if that would have worked out. I thought he might have injected some humour into the script though. And I agree, Cukor was a great women's director - that's why I can't understand why his work with Marilyn wasn't better.
I've never heard of this, but honestly I doubt it, because Wilder was a writer-director, and after making a big name for himself in the early 40's, he never directed anything that he also did not write.
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(JanCollector @ Jun 1 2008, 06:53 PM) *
Yves Montand is one big wet fish, though. Perhaps the worst leading man she ever had? It should have been Dean Martin in this role.

Excellent idea! Now that would have been great!

I don't like to talk badly about people, but I really have to say that I don't like Montand at ALL. I hate the guy, he was awful both on and off the set of LML that's for sure.
JanCollector
QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 1 2008, 06:55 PM) *
Excellent idea! Now that would have been great!

I don't like to talk badly about people, but I really have to say that I don't like Montand at ALL. I hate the guy, he was awful both on and off the set of LML that's for sure.

To be fair, Marilyn rarely found a leading man that could match her on screen. In fact, Tony Curtis is the only one I can really say generated a lot of heat with her.

She and David Wayne had no romantic chemistry of course, but made an excellent comedic team.
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(JanCollector @ Jun 1 2008, 07:01 PM) *
To be fair, Marilyn rarely found a leading man that could match her on screen. In fact, Tony Curtis is the only one I can really say generated a lot of heat with her.

She and David Wayne had no romantic chemistry of course, but made an excellent comedic team.

True, but even with that I don't think that the majority of people would put him in their top 5.
JanCollector
QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 1 2008, 07:03 PM) *
True, but even with that I don't think that the majority of people would put him in their top 5.

Oh, definitely not LOL. He's the big ole' bottom on my list.
Alanma

Ask yourself, how could a movie with such a cast - Marilyn, Montand, Wilfred Hyde-White, Frankie Vaughan, Milton Berle, Bing Crosby and Gene Kelly - possibly fail?
The inclusion of the last three smacks of desperation and last minute panic
True, there were too many hands stirring the writing pot, but the 'buck' must ultimately stop at the Director.
That is what he is paid for!
bruno
I sometimes have the feeling they tried to use the ingredients of SLH to make a success of LML :
the hidden identity of the male star, and the subsequent confusion in the situations between leading stars, until the end.
(Sugar tells Josephine she loves saxophone players, Amanda tells Alexander Dumas she hates JM Clement).
Yet, a female star who doesn't want to marry a millionaire is the mirror of a woman who does want to marry a millionaire.
Both are naturally artists/singers. Second roles are lead by famous people in both cases, with references well known to the public...
It seems screenwriters tried to analyze very carefully what made the success of SLH, and did a variation of it.
That never does a good movie, according to me.
mmmMarilyn
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who actually likes Yves Montand, but I suppose I just have a thing for french guys.
I love his voice and his weird smile and how uncomfortable/nerdy he gets around Amanda!
AdoreMarilynMonroe
Sigh, thinking of Dean Martin as the lead in LML makes me think of SGTG, and how very badly I wish they could have completed the film together. I thought they had fabulous chemistry in the scenes that did get filmed.

Back to LML though. It isn't my favorite Marilyn film, but I love the "My Heart Belongs To Daddy" number. I think "Amanda" had a more interesting relationship with her friend and fellow actor in the theatre. Some of the jokes in the film are quite funny and I think Marilyn looks beautiful. I appreciate how much she tried to bring out in "Amanda" if that makes sense to anyone. I hate the "Specialization" song. I think it's the worst number she had to do. Ugh. LOL
abeautifulchild
Yes, Marilyn did extremely well considering the blandness of the script and the character. Although to me, this is the only role I can recall where she didn't sparkle. And we know she was capable of shining in small roles and bit parts from seeing her early films. I guess this goes back to the director and the script: she had nothing to work with.

The highlight of the film is 'MHBTD', definitely. Truth be told, (aside from how awful it was) I think it's the only thing most people remember about this movie.
Elsie Marina
Another moment of my wierdness in regards to Marilyn films (but not counting the first 20 minutes or so where marilyn is no where in sight) this is actually one of my favourite Marlyn films laugh.gif
magda24
QUOTE(mmmMarilyn @ Jun 3 2008, 03:21 AM) *
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who actually likes Yves Montand, but I suppose I just have a thing for french guys.
I love his voice and his weird smile and how uncomfortable/nerdy he gets around Amanda!

I liked Montand as well!I generally like this movie, though I can see how flawed it is. but Marilyn gives a very true performance, IMO.
Tara
I've never much cared for LML, but I may give it another try sometime soon.
Bobby
QUOTE(magda24 @ Jun 17 2008, 08:39 PM) *
I liked Montand as well!I generally like this movie, though I can see how flawed it is. but Marilyn gives a very true performance, IMO.

I'm with you both on that - as I said, I quite liked both the film and Montand's performance. Marilyn was of course delightful and I loved her hair, especially when it falls down over her eyes at one point in 'Daddy', so adorable blush.gif

Tara - you definitely should. Report back here if your opinion changes at all!
Tiina
Interesting opinions guys! jumpymm.gif Personally I really like this movie. Seriously. smile1.gif I enjoy it.
It's a bit naive in a way and I know that Marilyn hated it, but I don't think it's that bad at all. In my opinion Marilyn looked beautiful as always and played her part extremely well if you think about how heavy the script was. I also think that it's great that Montad and Marilyn could stand by each other during the filming of LML. She helped him and he helped her.
I also really enjoy all the music this film produced and the musical numbers in it.
Vicoria Hoffman 1975
When I was about 14, this was the only film I had on tape and having not seen many of her films to compare it with, I couldnt understand why it got bad reviews in the books I had.

I still dont think its the worst movie ever but you would have thought Fox would have put her in something a bit better. Sometimes I think she looks a bit poorly but not sure if its the white make-up they use. I noticed her hair seems to change style and even length during a scene.
Bobby
I was watching this again this morning and I'm still not sure why so few MM fans like the movie. To me, Marilyn's acting appears seamless and impressive and I maintain that Montand puts in an accomplished performance in the lead role. I still adore the 'Daddy' number of course and though I thought the script was trying too hard to be funny (and failing), I do think the story is at least intriguing. As I think I've said before, the ending is frustratingly predictable but I enjoy LML far more than RONR and Show Business. Is there anyone that prefers either of those films to this one?

Also, I was reminded this morning just how good Frankie Vaughan was. He had such a strong voice, bless him.
magda24
QUOTE(Bobby @ Aug 18 2008, 02:15 PM) *
I was watching this again this morning and I'm still not sure why so few MM fans like the movie. To me, Marilyn's acting appears seamless and impressive and I maintain that Montand puts in an accomplished performance in the lead role. I still adore the 'Daddy' number of course and though I thought the script was trying too hard to be funny (and failing), I do think the story is at least intriguing. As I think I've said before, the ending is frustratingly predictable but I enjoy LML far more than RONR and Show Business. Is there anyone that prefers either of those films to this one?

Also, I was reminded this morning just how good Frankie Vaughan was. He had such a strong voice, bless him.

I couldn't agree more with every word you wrote. I find Show Business (and RONR less so) tiresome, cheesy and boring, with Marilyn performance less than perfect, I'm afraid. LML, flawed as we all agreed, is still a piece of entertaining flick, and Marilyn- she really impresses me! I watched it again coupke weeks ago with my mum. She had some fresh view on it and said that Marilyn had convinced ehr completely and it was one of the cases she saw the character, not the actress behind it (cause Marilyn's personality, or rather Marilyn's persona sometimes seems to overshadow the characters she portrayed).
Bobby
That's an interesting point, thanks for sharing that Magda. I agree too that, as a summary, LML is certainly flawed but at least entertaining on the whole. Good post thumbup1.gif
ziggy
It's agonizingly average. It's not the awful failure everyone says it is - I wish it was! At least there'd be something to laugh at, hold on to, be amused by. As it stands, the flick reeks of blandness. It's professionally directed, acted, written, staged - but there's no life. It's like an overtly easy crossword puzzle; it never entertains or challenges you the way it could and should.
nicky62
IMO I think that if you take away Marilyn from LML and TNBLSB they are just plain boring movies I like Marilyn as Vicki and as Amanda but dont like the characters with her LML would have been a different film if Rock Hudson wouldve accepted working with her in it but he was working on another film and wasnt available . In TNBLSB she is cute and the costumes are great especially her songs . a man chases a girl is one of my faves and Lazy , in LML I like the way she sings Specialization and My heart belongs to daddy
magda24
QUOTE(nicky62 @ Aug 22 2008, 02:23 PM) *
IMO I think that if you take away Marilyn from LML and TNBLSB they are just plain boring movies I like Marilyn as Vicki and as Amanda but dont like the characters with her LML would have been a different film if Rock Hudson wouldve accepted working with her in it but he was working on another film and wasnt available . In TNBLSB she is cute and the costumes are great especially her songs . a man chases a girl is one of my faves and Lazy , in LML I like the way she sings Specialization and My heart belongs to daddy

I agree Nicky, her voice and singing in LML is perfect.I know a jazz standard "My heart belongs to daddy" but even sung by such great divas like Ella Fitzgerald it has less power and appeal than sung by our girl ( if I may call her that). But I'm afraid her dress in Specialisation wasn't flattering.....
Bobby
QUOTE(magda24 @ Aug 22 2008, 02:29 PM) *
I know a jazz standard "My heart belongs to daddy" but even sung by such great divas like Ella Fitzgerald it has less power and appeal than sung by our girl ( if I may call her that). But I'm afraid her dress in Specialisation wasn't flattering.....

I concur with both points. In fact, her dress for the song LML was also unflattering. Actually, I don't like that song or performance at all. At least the performance of Specialization was enjoyable, fun, steady.
nino89
This is one of my avorite Marilyn Monroe movies biggrin.gif When I saw it for the first time I didn't like it...It seed too slow, and "silly", but since then I watched it for a milion times, and every time I like it more smile1.gif Yes there are many "mistakes" in this movie (lack of chemistry beetwen Marilyn and leading man, her "fatness')  but it is still very enjoyable smile1.gif 

I sadi fatness... hmmmm, don't get me wrng but she was not thin in that movie as she was in past films, but I think that she never was sexyer ... I don't know why, but she looks realy femmine in this film smile1.gif I realy like her biggrin.gif Today there is no star that god get a little weight and look so wonderful like her wink3.gif 

Tara
I said I'd watch it again and I did. LML is OK but not great IMO, wish I enjoyed it more. I like some of the music and the idea behind the story, but thought there should have been a funnier script - and it would have worked better if Marilyn and Yves had more chemistry onscreen. If only Marilyn had got better material to work with, it could have been a great movie and not just a so-so one.

Compared to TNBLSB and RONR - I think her acting is best in LML and the music is best in RONR, so RONR is my marginal favourite of the three. TLBLSB I have never liked much.
Bobby
QUOTE(Tara @ Sep 20 2008, 09:51 PM) *
Compared to TNBLSB and RONR - I think her acting is best in LML and the music is best in RONR.

Yeah I agree. But I must say, the 'Daddy' number still stands aloft outshining any of the (faultless) RONR songs and performances.
Sugar Kane
It's one of my favourite Marilyn Monroe movies.. jumpymm.gif jumpymm.gif
nicky62
banana.gif Candids in beteen takes from LML banana.gif
nicky62
pinup
Imo I think the problem with lml is Montand, he doesnt seem to have any depth and keeps the same vacant look on his face, hes supposed to be desperately in love with Marilyn in the film but he doesnt really show it in his face (if you know what I mean!) Its a same there wasnt another leading man.
As for Marilyn I loved her in this film, I love all her songs and I love the part where she skips from rehersal, I think its a less favorite among Marilyn fans mostly because of her co-stars after all its nothing compared to gpb with jane russell, htmam with bacall and grable, slih with lemmon and curtis, tsyi with ewell etc etc.
Bobby
I was wondering something about 'My Heart Belongs to Daddy' today. I just wanted to clarify: the 'Daddy' referred to in the song is a Gus Esmond type of 'daddy' rather than a girl's father, right? It's utterly unimportant but I've never been sure.

Thanks in advance blush.gif

Vicoria Hoffman 1975
I think its one of those songs you can take either way. At least I hope it is because my four year old daughter was prancing about a playground, swinging about poles and singing that very song the other week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.