Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something's Got To Give
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn's movies
Bobby
This was Marilyn's final film. Unfortunately it was not completed before her untimely death but thanks to the 2001 documentary 'The Final Days' we were able to see the footage that was shot before the project was shelved. The film was to be a light-hearted bedroom comedy co-starring Dean Martin and Cyd Charisse and directed by the legendary George Cukor.

I think it's difficult to judge the edited version of the film we see at the end of the documentary as it's only forty or so minutes long. But to me, it seemed an enjoyable and fun sort of picture but no more than that. It was unspectacular and I don't think many people would remember it as anything other than a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy in which Marilyn Monroe gets her kit off (if that's not too paradoxic)! I thought the script seemed to lack any originality or spark in terms of comedic dialogue. What did you think?
magda24
I read somewhere that in Final Days they used the worst shots of marilyn acting and the original footage lasts for many hours.
But I agree with you Bobby. I happened to watch Move Over, Darling, which was based on the original script and this movie was everything but good. It would be great to see Marilyn finally as a mother but the jokes seemed lame and the whole story just too old fashioned even for early 60's. I'm afraid it would have been typical Marilyn movie-poor film with her outstanding performance. But who knows...
A link to a video created by MsMonroe (hope she doesn't mind me pasting this) in which she compares unfinished Monroe movie with Doris Day motion pic
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AfgNN5MjJ1U
Very interesting!
Tara
I enjoyed the Doris Day film, but it is just a fun afternoon movie. Marilyn's first appearance, entering the garden and watching the children, is lovely. She brings a vulnerability to the scene that Doris, trouper though she was, could not. But I think Marilyn only accepted the film to work off her old contract with Fox, and she was struggling to rise above the material. If it had been finished, maybe her chemistry with Dean Martin (and Wally Cox) would have shone through. She always excelled in comedy and maybe it would have given her the hit she needed at that time. But I can't see it matching her earlier work with Billy Wilder.
lorileime
I have to agree with Tara. This film was just an obligation to Marilyn and although the short version we are able to see shows that she was head and shoulders above her co-stars in this film, I think the film would not have done much for her perception as an actor. The best thing that would have come out of this film was Marilyn's nude swim scene, which, undoubtedly, would have caused quite a stir in the world of celebrity scandal. That, at the very least, would have given Marilyn a new platform from which to launch a stretegic career move. One thing I've always been curious about in this film: In My Favorite Wife with Irene Dunne, the couple have two daughters, and in Move Over, Darling they also have two daughters, but in SGTG they have a son and a daughter. I wonder if that decision involved Marilyn at all. Does anyone know?
abeautifulchild
asgtg4katie.gif <-- I couldn't resist

Well, I really would have liked to see this movie for so many reasons. Number one was because Marilyn was IMO at her most beautiful, absolutely and amazingly beautiful and gorgeous!! Secondly, I would have loved to see her play a mother- I know it would have been as touching as hell. She made me sob in her first scene where Ellen sees the children for the first time. Thirdly, she had great chemistry with Dean Martin, I mean that combination certainly would have been interesting; they looked great together. As with some other of her films, the dialogue wasn't that funny, but Marilyn's timing and reactions MADE it funny, she's great in what I've seen. Add Dean Martin and I really think that they both would have made this a terrific and funny hit!

QUOTE(lorileime @ May 27 2008, 12:19 AM) *
One thing I've always been curious about in this film: In My Favorite Wife with Irene Dunne, the couple have two daughters, and in Move Over, Darling they also have two daughters, but in SGTG they have a son and a daughter. I wonder if that decision involved Marilyn at all. Does anyone know?

Oooh, interesting. I wish I knew! What I do know is that Marilyn mentioned that the youngest girl on the film would have been the same age as her daughter if she hadn't misscarried. Sad. The young actors remember Marilyn as a wonderful lady, I love hearing about how children reacted to her. I wish there were more scenes available with Marilyn and the children in this...
meztisa
I thought this movie would have changed the direction of her career. She was still sexy, but in a more serious, realistic type of way. Also, playing a mother makes her seem more mature. Her accent as Inga Tic was soooo funny! I think Marilyn and Dean had great chemistry as well. biggrin.gif
president_bosch
Eventhough the film was incomplete, I'd say this is my favorite MM flick. The best MM movie scene ever was the one where she was bonding with the children. I really wish the film had been completed, I was so angry when the director yelled, "Cut!" as the plot started to thicken. I don't often look for originality, although it would be a plus.
Demos Kratos
I liked SGTG. I saw it as a turning point in MM's career where sadly the aftermath will never be known. She seemed more mature in the role, breaking away from many of her typical (but delightful) previous roles. I know the 37 minutes we were given, can't act as much of a basis to call the film spectacular as most of what we saw was a 'build up', but I personally believe a new Marilyn was on the horizon - one with so much essence and character than the one we all know and love now.

Also, we all know Marilyn can play more sophisticated roles: "Bus Stop" being one of them...
Garbo20
Did they ever concider finishing the film with a body double like they did with Jean Harlow in Saratoga?
lorileime
I think there were way too many scenes that Marilyn hadn't completed to do that. But, today with CGI, they could probably do a fair job at finishing it. The problem would be getting the little nuances that real poeple can add.
Demos Kratos
Also wouldn't it be nice if some sort of documentary released about the whole film with all the footage, including that, that had been been edited for the end of the 37 minute of the SGTG which appeared at the end of the Final Days Documentary?

I wouldn't mind seeing that rolleyes1.gif
lorileime
QUOTE(arsena1 @ Jun 3 2008, 08:06 AM) *
Also wouldn't it be nice if some sort of documentary released about the whole film with all the footage, including that, that had been been edited for the end of the 37 minute of the SGTG which appeared at the end of the Final Days Documentary?

I wouldn't mind seeing that rolleyes1.gif

Yes I agree. There is a guy who has it for sale. You can get a hold of him via the web. He says that the footage is very grainy, but I think there are six hours in total. I can email you his web address if you pm me. I think the last time I asked about it he wanted $50.00 US and I didn't get it because he said it was grainy.
mmmMarilyn
I just made my sister watch the Final Days/SGTG documentary with me and she loved it. I was so surprised she actually sat through it--I put the movie on first and then the documentary, then we watched one about her entire life--my sister is...let's just say she's not a fan--whenever I'm watching an MM movie she'll roll her eyes or say "I can't stand that voice" or " I hate how she pronounces her words" but after explaining to her the training that she went through early in her career, the forced annunciation, the dropping of the tone of her voice, and the fact that they were CHARACTERS and showing her some footage in which she uses her real voice (as well as SGTG,) she seemed really interested, and was giggling at quite a few parts and I was so surprised she sat through it with me and was genuinely impressed, as she should be. I am not a HUGE fan of sixties Marilyn (I prefer fifties Marilyn personally) but she really does look spectacular and different and powerful in a way, and the movie would have been cute. But I think that what I really accomplished was changing one more skeptic--if not into a fan, at least into someone who appreciates what Marilyn went through and her talent.
dwane
i adore what there is from this film. i wish that marilyn finished it more than anything. i think that they should at least try and make it into a full length movie, they could piece together as much footage of marilyn as possible and find a girl they can make look like marilyn enough to convince the audience. virtually anything can be done today.

would you like the job colby? smile1.gif
mmmMarilyn
hahah you know I'd LOVE the job Dwanester, but alas I'd have to starve myself in order to even get anywhere near as wonderfully thin as she is in this film. Gimme a couple years of diets and exercise and plastic surgery and I'll get back to ya'. hahaha! marilynbybrandon_190.gif
lorileime
QUOTE(mmmMarilyn @ Jun 16 2008, 09:27 PM) *
hahah you know I'd LOVE the job Dwanester, but alas I'd have to starve myself in order to even get anywhere near as wonderfully thin as she is in this film. Gimme a couple years of diets and exercise and plastic surgery and I'll get back to ya'. hahaha! marilynbybrandon_190.gif

Pardon me for interjecting, but if you actually do create a successful look-a-like and can still manage to be 'you', I might want to marry you. LOL
dwane
lol, your perfect the way you are colby.

back off she's mine! LOL laugh.gif
mmmMarilyn
hahaha, you two are adorable!
Elsie Marina
laugh.gif

I love this film too, I really wish Marilyn could have finished it no.gif
Kowalczyk
I just finished watching SGTG again today and I love how Marilyn is in this film. She's gained maturity and you can see the knowledge in her eyes and in her smile. Yet she's still light and happy and carefree - particularly with the children, that's the best scene in the whole film. She sparkles onscreen. IMO the scenes without her are quite dull but she livens up the ones she is in no end. I wish she'd completed it, but I am happy that we at least have these forty minutes.
abeautifulchild
QUOTE(lorileime @ Jun 3 2008, 05:26 PM) *
Yes I agree. There is a guy who has it for sale. You can get a hold of him via the web. He says that the footage is very grainy, but I think there are six hours in total. I can email you his web address if you pm me. I think the last time I asked about it he wanted $50.00 US and I didn't get it because he said it was grainy.

Do you happen to know how grainy we're talking, Tony?
Because if the film is obviously visible then I might be interested...I have a birthday coming up. biggrin.gif
Simplesimon
I just watch "Something's got to give" and i can't believe i've never seen it before. I think Marilyn looks so beautiful and you can tell that she is very slim from what she else to look like. I love the Swedish accent where she pretends to be Inga Tic.
JanCollector
There are almost nine hours of known outtakes and footage for this film. It exists out there as a bootleg - take after take after take of the same scene that are simply fascinating to watch. Throughout it all, Marilyn is the consummate professional. Some of it is on YouTube - here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/user/77marked#p/u/0/TPqsaaJVcgE
iheartMarilyn4ever
It's so sad that this would've been her best movie ever and she didn't even get to finish it :(
kandykisses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhQPq...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2H4I...eature=related

The links that are in this thread have been ended so here is links I have to the 40 minute "finished" version of SGTG. I love this movie. I think Marilyn is radiant. I love she uses her own voice and moves away from the breathy MM "character" of her earlier films.

The thing that amazed me is with so little time they still had a lot done-and MM is absolutely gorgeous in it. Fox misrepresented her absense and performance in my opinion.

I have seen the Doris Day version as a kid and I loved it -but I think the MM & DM combination would have been superior and exquisite. The swimming scene would have put this film on par with 7 Year Itch IMO. I also think Marilyn was maturing in her performance and relying on her talent and acting insticts and I think this would have been a good step for her beyond the sex goddess to getting respect as a comedienne. Plus her renegotiated contract of 2 more pics at 1 million a pop-recognized her star quality-and with paying her the big bucks I am sure Fox would have found 2 great films for Marilyn. This film shows all the promise of some great years ahead for Marilyn had she lived. marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Maneki Neko
I hate the fact that this movie was never finished because I think that it would have been a very funny movie, even better than the original. Marilyn's acting seems so natural and I can really see how much she has evolved as an actress. I am going crazy every time I watch the edited version because I really want to see how it ends.

Zebo
Is there a full script for this somewhere on the web?
sugarkane20
I saw "Move over Darling" at Barnes and Noble yesterday, i might go back and buy it out of curiosity.
marilynfanonline
One thing I find quite different about Marilyn in this film is that she does use her natural speaking voice. Looking at the scene with Dean Martin by the swimming pool, the whole "Why don't you think about telling her that your wife's back! No that wouldn't occur to you would it?!" is said in a really strong voice rather than her usual whispery tone. I personally think this is better and it shows that Marilyn was making a stand to be taken more seriously as an actress.
timetravelangel
I found this interview with one of the screenwriters (Arnold Schulman) who worked on the script for 'Something's Got To Give'.

I know from reading David Brown's autobiography, 'Let Me Entertain You', that you had at least one not-marvelous experience in Hollywood in the sixties, working with Cukor again, this time on the last, never-completed Marilyn Monroe picture: 'Something's Got to Give'.
I haven't read David's book, but I've been told he said I wore a kimono and sat on the floor when I wrote. Clearly, I was crazy, so he fired me. I still wear a kimono and sit on the floor when I write, and lots of people think I'm crazy— maybe I am—but David and I recall the situation differently. Actually, I quit. Cukor wanted me because we had such a good experience on the Magnani picture, but when I found out what they were doing to Marilyn, I quit. They were setting her up. A guy from the advertising business named Peter Levathes had come in as head of the studio, having taken over from [Spyros] Skouras, who was kicked out, as I recall, because Cleopatra [1963] went so much over budget. Levathes had to prove himself a hero. He had to prove he wouldn't take any shit from any star. He wanted to humiliate Marilyn into quitting and then sue her, I was told.
You were Marilyn's friend?
From way back. I met her when she first left Hollywood and came to join the Actors Studio. I got a call one night from Lee Strasberg, and he said, "I've got two tickets to a poetry reading at the Y. I can't go. Will you take the person I'm supposed to go with?" I said, "Sure." I had no idea it was Marilyn until she opened the door. This was at the peak of her fame. I didn't have a car or anything, so we had to catch a cab. We got mobbed. We finally got to the Y. I'm thinking, "Why does she want to go to theY? Why didn't Lee tell me who I was going with?" And, of course, the program couldn't go on, because everybody left their seats to catch a glimpse of her. We escaped through a side door and ran up the street with a mob chasing us, and finally wound up on 125th Street in a dinky Chinese restaurant I knew about. That's how I met her, and we became good friends.
What was her condition at the time when you were working on the script? Was she deteriorating, as everybody has written?
I didn't see any of that. When I was with her, she was bright, warm and loving, and in good shape.
She wasn't demanding?
Not at all.
She was on time for everything?
She didn't have to be on time. This wasn't even preproduction. I hadn't written a word. But her agent would call and request things—I remember one thing in particular—and Fox would deliberately say no, doing everything to make her quit. She wanted her regular hairdresser, I remember. No—she couldn't have her regular hairdresser. Whatever she wanted, the rule was, she couldn't have it. Gradually, it became clearer and clearer what was going on—and then I overheard conversations about it between the executives. As soon as I realized it, I went ape. I think I grabbed David Brown, who is about two feet taller than I am, and shook him against the wall; if not, I wanted to, which is probably closer to the truth. I called Marilyn and told her. She understood what was happening, but there was nothing she could do about it.
You think they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams—driving her to her death?
It's not that cut and dried. But they certainly didn't contribute to her will to live.
Cukor was party to this?
He knew about it.
That's shocking.
The whole thing was shocking to me. She asked me to come back and write the picture and be on her side. I told her I was on her side, and that is why I got out of it. I told her she had to get out of it. "If I go back," I told her, "I'm powerless." I have terrible guilt about that experience, still. Terrible guilt. The lingering feeling, however irrational, that if I had gone back, I might have made a difference, and she might still be alive today.

(Interview excerpt from 'Backstory' edited by Patrick McGilligan)
CYRILPARIS
from Marilyn Monroe Metamorphosis by David Wills and Stephen Schmidt
Diamond
Such a pity for this film! I bet Marilyn would be wonderful. I'm amazed but Happy to see that some of those scenes are popular (like the swimming pool scene) and film never wasn't on screen coolio.gif
mberton
Has Fox ever thought about releasing outtakes from Marilyn's films with this studio? Surely their vault would contain some material that hasn't been destroyed? I have seen the ones from SGTG and SYI but none others. I know Liz Smith has noted this in her articles too, but have any other rare outtakes ever been released?
lorileime
QUOTE(mberton @ Jan 4 2013, 01:46 AM) *
Has Fox ever thought about releasing outtakes from Marilyn's films with this studio? Surely their vault would contain some material that hasn't been destroyed? I have seen the ones from SGTG and SYI but none others. I know Liz Smith has noted this in her articles too, but have any other rare outtakes ever been released?

Out-takes would be great but instead of that how about restoring the scenes taken out of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Bus Stop? I'd love to see those.
mberton
QUOTE(lorileime @ Jan 5 2013, 04:20 AM) *
Out-takes would be great but instead of that how about restoring the scenes taken out of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Bus Stop? I'd love to see those.

Yes, those too! It would have been wonderful if some film company had thought of releasing a DVD of all this footage for the 50th anniversary of her death last year as a commemoration.
JC 96816
Here's another link for SGTG minus music -- music was omitted for copyright reasons according to the poster of the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7gM6kM6peA
MarilynIloveU
I'm quite surprised to see many of you think this would have been her best film, I think it would have been one of her worst. Not only did she look ill (underweight) but it seemed to be taking a step backwards. Marilyn wanted to be taken seriously, in my opinion appearing nude would have gone against her. When you think of the actresses that did appear nude (Jayne Mansfield being the first), Marilyn was in a totally different league to them. Marilyn didn't need this film or the scene, in my opinion it would have been a disaster. The media would have focused on the nude swim and no matter how well she acted playing a mother, it would have been overshadowed by the pool scene.
Mark7
Here is 75mins of Rare Raw Marilyn outtake footage from SOMETHING'S GOT TO GIVE on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybcNjn3S6N0

Part 2 of the outtakes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siiBuajZP4A

Most of these outtakes have not been seen in any documentaries etc and bits that have have not been in there raw state such as this video. i had some of these in parts on my Marilyn Monroe Video Archives(SGTG77) channel on youtube but am uploading them to my Marilyn Monroe History channel on two videos

I will be uploading More soon thumbup1.gif
CYRILPARIS
QUOTE(Mark7 @ Nov 18 2013, 11:27 AM) *
Here is 75mins of Rare Raw Marilyn outtake footage from SOMETHING'S GOT TO GIVE on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybcNjn3S6N0

Most of these outtakes have not been seen in any documentaries etc and bits that have have not been in there raw state such as this video. i had some of these in parts on my Marilyn Monroe Video Archives(SGTG77) channel on youtube but am uploading them to my Marilyn Monroe History channel on two videos
I will be uploading More soon thumbup1.gif

Thank you but it's a pity you did not put together the scenes and in the order
Mezzo
Thank you, Mark7. I enjoyed watching the raw footage.
Mark7
QUOTE(CYRILPARIS @ Nov 18 2013, 11:07 PM) *
Thank you but it's a pity you did not put together the scenes and in the order
I did on my Marilyn Monroe Video Archives(sgtg77) channel years ago smile1.gif this is the raw tape in how i got the footage originally. if you see on my MMVA channel i took the time to take each scene out of this jumble, just now uploading the raw tapes i have have in full thumbup1.gif
QUOTE(Mezzo @ Nov 19 2013, 12:29 AM) *
Thank you, Mark7. I enjoyed watching the raw footage.
smile1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.