Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Mmm Girl
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Pages: 1, 2
Tara
Hi everyone

Some of you will already know that I have written a novel called 'The Mmm Girl', about the life of Marilyn Monroe - as she might have told it herself. Well, it has now been published by UKA Press and is just starting to appear in online bookstores.

Synopsis

‘Nothing lasts forever…we all have a short time, to shine or just survive.’

Who was Marilyn Monroe? She began as Norma Jeane, the Los Angeles waif who dreamed of being a movie star. The camera worshipped her, and she became America’s greatest sex symbol.

For thirty-six years, she dazzled the world with her fragile, but radiant beauty. In private, she yearned for fulfilment. Her myth shone so brightly that it threatened to destroy her. Then, one night in 1962, she left us in mystery.

'The Mmm Girl' follows the journey of a self-made goddess, from the orphanage to the silver screen. By standing in her shoes, Tara Hanks uncovers the reality of Marilyn’s life – as she might have told it herself.

To read an extract, click here

For details of how to buy in the UK, US and Japan, click here

I will add more bookstores as soon as the book is available elsewhere.

Thanks,
Tara bye1.gif
Elsie Marina
oo that is excellant Tara!
dwane
very cool, i definately want a copy!
Paju
Congratulations Tara! That is wonderful - you must be really proud and happy. I would love to get a copy right away and read it, but I've decided not to do that just yet because I'm writing what I'm hoping will become a MM novel too. I will get it and read it someday though and I just can't wait smile1.gif I'm so happy for you Tara - it's a wonderful accomplishment!
Elsie Marina
I amd definitly going to try and get a copy!
Katri^
Congratulations Tara! clapping.gif
I'd love to get a copy!
Tara
Thanks everyone!
Nancy
Oh, how excited you must be!! banana.gif I'm definitely getting a copy!!
Meikkuli
Congrats, Tara! marilynbybrandon_190.gif
You know I am ordering my copy next week like I told you :-) And it will make an excellent prize for our next drawing as well clapping.gif
throb.gif ,
Merja
Tara
Amazon.com have now added a 'search inside' facility, you can read Chapter 1 in full - click here thumbup1.gif
Tiina
Congratulations Tara! jumpymm.gif throb.gif

I want a copy for sure, can't wait to have it! marilynbybrandon_190.gif

EDIT: Couldn't help myself, just ordered it lol laugh.gif
Tara
Thanks Tiina!! biggrin.gif hug.gif
chris
I received my own copy Tara
Thanks and congratulations
I'll begin read it tonight
Chris
Katri^
QUOTE(Tiina @ Dec 20 2007, 01:57 PM) *
Congratulations Tara! jumpymm.gif throb.gif

I want a copy for sure, can't wait to have it! marilynbybrandon_190.gif

EDIT: Couldn't help myself, just ordered it lol laugh.gif

Tiina, now you made me want it even more when you already ordered it! : D I just can't wait to get it, it seems so interesting! Maybe after Christmas, then.
Tiina
QUOTE(Katri^ @ Dec 20 2007, 07:23 PM) *
Tiina, now you made me want it even more when you already ordered it! : D I just can't wait to get it, it seems so interesting! Maybe after Christmas, then.

Katri laugh.gif

Tara cheers.gif
Robby
Let me congratulate you that your book has been published, I really want to read it, I hope to order ASAP!
Tara
'The Mmm Girl' has a trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR8NV7hSb28
Fav
Completely missed this thread! Rather excellent trailer on You Tube there Tara. As you know, I'll definitely be ordering mine after Christmas.

What a great achievement. Be proud! blush-anim-cl.gif
Tara
Some of you will have received copies of The Mmm Girl by now, and I can't wait to hear your responses. I've had quite a few requests for signed copies. I don't have a huge stock myself, but here's a solution - if you're interested, please PM me with your address, and I'll be glad to post you a free signed book label.
LuvBabyJane
Loved to excerpt I read!! Sounds real interesting, think I shall have to spend some more money and lift my down winter spirit!!
Meikkuli
Tara, I also ordered my copy and the other copy for our next winner :-) Can't wait for them to arrive! I think you have my addy - would it be possible to send me two of those labels so the winner will get a signed copy too? blush.gif Thanks... (PS: I'll answer your email ASAP!)
Tara
Yes of course - and thanks! bye1.gif
Meikkuli
Thanks to you marilynbybrandon_190.gif
LuvBabyJane
I've just ordered this book via Amazon and I can't wait to read it!! jumpymm.gif

Good luck with the book Tara clapping.gif
Tara
Thanks Lolly, hope you enjoy! bye1.gif
MarilynLivesSociety
I heard from Amazon today and mine is on its way! Yippee - I really need a great book to read!! I can't wait to read it.

Exciting! jumpymm.gif

Love
Michelle
xxx
Nancy
I have to save my pennies, so I can order this book, and so many others! I can't wait to get it!!!
Tara
'The Mmm Girl' has been featured on Michelle Morgan's blog biggrin.gif

http://michelle-morgan.blogspot.com/2008/0...tara-hanks.html
Tara
If you're interested in learning more about my writing, read this interview on The Deckchair website.

http://www.thedeckchair.org.uk/page_id__313_path__.aspx
Tara
Here is a link to Fraser Penney's review of 'The Mmm Girl' on Immortal Marilyn - and while you're there, check out all the new updates. Many thanks to all at IM for your support.

“You actually feel it’s Marilyn’s thoughts and words you are reading. You can almost hear her voice in your head…a personal insight into Marilyn’s world and the people she knew, from her own perspective…this really gives the book it’s edge and a great authenticity which makes it less like a novel and more like an autobiography, had Marilyn written one… a great deal of sensitivity, giving Marilyn’s “words” dignity and her story the respect it deserves…Tara writes in such a tender and tasteful way you imagine Marilyn herself would have written with the same beautiful sublime style… instead of being too explicit or provocative it’s just right, very sensual but sensitive to the reader’s taste at the same time.”

http://www.immortalmarilyn.com/FrasersBookReview.html
californiadude
I can't wait to get this book, I just need to save my pennies too! blush.gif
Tara
David Marshall, author of The DD Group: An Online Investigation Into The Death Of Marilyn Monroe, has reviewed my novel, The Mmm Girl, for Forever Marilyn.

“When reading The Mmm Girl, one can not help but realize that all previous attempts never quite got it – that elusive something special that made Monroe so incredibly unique…for those who have come to their own personal understanding of Monroe’s character and tale, for perhaps the very first time they will now be able to find ‘their Marilyn’ right there in print, all of her thoughts and actions captured in book form…Tara Hanks, who had never met Marilyn Monroe, let alone interviewed her or shared time with her, succeeds so far beyond other authors…it takes not only talent but heart to tell the story right. Tara Hanks has both.”

The full review is posted here
Tiina
I got my copy finally today! Woohoo throb.gif
Tiina
I'm almost finished reading The Mmm Girl now. balloon.gif

I just have to say that I truly, madly, deeply adore this book! throb.gif I don't usually read novels with such enthusiasm, but The Mmm Girl... I have to force myself to put it down in the evenings when I need to stop reading and go to sleep! laugh.gif

It's well written, Tara. Very well written. I think you have captured Marilyn perfectly. She's almost exactly as I've imagined her and I think that's why I love The Mmm Girl so much, because it "serves my imagination" so well. biggrin.gif I've been close to tears many times while reading this!
My absolute favourite parts so far have been the ones about her childhood, her teenage years and the starlet years.

I highly recommend The Mmm Girl. redsitting.gif
Tara
Thanks so much Tiina, what a beautiful post! I'm so glad you like The Mmm Girl! cheekkiss.gif
Tiina
Tara hug.gif
louie_gee_gee
throb.gif marilynbybrandon_190.gif Congratulations Tara! I love the cover design - very classy! clapping.gif thumbup1.gif

You'll make the Top 10 bestseller list for sure! bye1.gif
Tara
Thanks Louie! biggrin.gif
LuvBabyJane
I love, love, love, love your book Tara! great read! throb.gif....yes, I can honestly say....I love it!! jumpymm.gif
Tara
Thanks Lolly, that's great to hear! tongue.gif
Tara
Hi everyone,

I have been interviewed on the wonderful My Marilyn podcast. I've added a link with details of how to listen, and you will hear my distinctive London accent at 15:48 minutes into the latest show!

http://www.marilynmonroe.ca/podcast/show.htm

Best wishes,
Tara
Bobby
Cool, thanks for letting us know Tara thumbup1.gif
abeautifulchild
I absolutely am dying to buy this book! I can't wait to read a Marilyn novel that is actually factually accurate tongue.gif
Tara
Hi all

"With her enchanting novel, 'The Mmm Girl', Tara Hanks has placed herself in Marilyn's dinky stillettos to give her the voice that she was so often denied in life ...in her bright, colourful style, Hanks retells Marilyn's story with tender empathy and imaginative flair." -- Mad About Marilyn, March 2008

An interview with me appears in the latest issue of the Mad About Marilyn fanzine, out now. The magazine also includes vintage articles and up-to-date news. For more info and details on how to join, go here:

http://www.myspace.com/madaboutmarilynuk

All the best,
Tara
Tara
''Wonderful...so close to Marilyn's life that you almost believe you are reading her own memoir...a real gem.''

Michelle Morgan, author of Marilyn Monroe: Private And Undisclosed, reviews The Mmm Girl on Amazon - here
Tara
“A captivating, gripping piece of literature…'The Mmm Girl' will have you hooked from the first chapter…jam-packed with emotion…Marilyn’s life was short but this book will stay with you for much longer…” - Kemptown Rag

An article about 'The Mmm Girl' appears in the latest issue of Kemptown Rag, a lifestyle magazine distributed in Brighton. You can read it here

Visit Kemptown Rag's website here

Bobby
Wow, your book is winning praise all over the place Tara! Really well done, you must be so darn proud of yourself clapping.gif
Tara
Thanks! I'm very happy about the reactions to The Mmm Girl, especially from fans. It really pleases me when people pick up on the thoughts and feelings in my book, because I always wanted it to be much more than just another retelling of Marilyn's life story.
Tara
You can now rate The Mmm Girl on the Immortal Marilyn website - here
Katri^
I can't wait to read this! My friend is going to borrow the book to me, so I know what I'll be doing for the first week of the summer vacation! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.