Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silver Screen Magazines
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Magazines & articles discussion
Pages: 1, 2
roksana
"Will Marilyn`s Marriage Last?" from "Silver Screen 1954, June"
Stacy
Thanks Roksana. Interesting article.
Marisolecito
Definitely a great one thumbup1.gif

I believe Marilyn and Joe were made for each other rolleyes1.gif
Joan Newman
I have read so many negative things about their marriage. Ofcourse, we love the fact that Joe was there for her from beginning to end, even after her realionships with other men after him. I think their relationship ended well simply because Joe only lived with her for under one year. Given time, Marilyn's behavior would have changed drastically towards him, I believe. As it was, she had already commented many times about him being the best lover, her best friend and savior, etc., but that he was a lousy husband. She was very happy and inlove with Arthur in the beginning of their marriage. More so. But look how vicious it turned in the end. Miller had to love her very much to endure so much for so many years.

Marilyn loved the limelight and the public appearances for her fans. He hated it and Hollywood. Remember how he hated the way she dressed? She had a new wardrobe specifically for his taste when they were married with the high collars and such. I think he hated her wardrobe because he was a very jealous guy. Marilyn was very friendly towards everybody, included men. Even those she didn't know because they were her fans too. I love that about her. Joe did not.

Joe had his house kept up by family, I believe his sister and/or mother. But this was a VERY neat guy. We know Marilyn was a little messy. It has been quoted by many who knew her. I read the back of her black Cadillac in front of the DiMaggio apt was a mess, cluttered with her clothes and stuff. Joe always looked PERFECT. He sure was a beautiful dresser. So did Marilyn when she was dressed up for an event with help from her assistants. Many have commented on the fact that she neglected her hygiene at times. I read awful comments about this from many, including Sinatra and Haspiel. I believe I read an awful article quoting her hairdresser, Master's. I don't blame her myself. She worked hard and she suffered from female problems, then later with depression. Easy to understand.

She commented to many about Joe being a boaring husband just sitting around watching his precious TV. That his idea of a fun night was watching tv after a big homecooked dinner. They would have had to eat out alot then. Its one thing for her to cook for her husband occasionally, like she liked to do for Arthur. She needed a cook. She was a big star, after all. Joe also liked to frequent his sports clubs, Toot Shor's, etc., without Marilyn. I've read he had a drinking problem but I personally do not think so. He was a social drinker maybe, especially being an athlete. If he had a drinking problem, I would think he and Marilyn would have had more fun together. But then he would have thought it was alright for him to drink and not for her.

It has been documented by many often about Joe being "stingy" with his money. I am not blaming him. I have read that it may have had to do with his growing up in the Depression or something. He was a good business man indeed. I CANNOT stand cheap men. Especially wealthy cheap men. Marilyn was one of the most generous people, quoted by many. I read her driver in NY took her to ? some place in NY and she handed out money to the needy. She gave lots of cash to people she worked with when they had financial difficulties many times. I am glad she was this way and not absorbed with making more money and becoming super rich, as is the custom with celebrities nowadays.

I could go on and on about why Marilyn and Joe's marriage didn't work. He loved her hopelessly. Did you know that Joe endured alot of abuse and even unfaithfulness from his wife Dorothy? He had similar problems with her as he did with Marilyn, she too being a beautiful, sexy actress and all. I read he was thinking about remarrying her until he met Marilyn, ofcourse. Joe would not have left Marilyn in 1954 if she hadn't left him. He, like Arthur, would have endure for many years. Not as many years as Arthur because Joe was a proud man and Marilyn humiliated Arthur so. If Marilyn had said yes, Joe would have remarried. But I don't think she would have said yes if she was happy in her own personal life. In my opinion, if she decided to remarry Joe, it would have been because, once again, she needed someone to save or help her, whatever, because she was unhappy. But once things started to look up, she would have left him again, probably for another man.

Marilyn was't deliberately mean or abusive to these wonderful men who clearly loved her so. She did the best that she could, if we take into account what her childhood was like and how it had to affect her for the rest of her life. I think, considering, she was a winner. She survived and succeeded !! She fulfilled her dream of becoming a "wonderful", HUGE and famous movie STAR loved by all.

Sorry. I got carried away there for a while. I am by no means an expert of Joe, so forgive if I am mistaken in any of his facts and please correct me if I stated wrong..
roksana
Article "Marilyn`s Greatest Temptations" by Elsie Lee from Silver Screen magazine from 1954, April.
suusmarie
Fabulous worshippy.gif
Stacy
Ohh! Wonderful. Thanks Roksana!
roksana
The article "What I think of Marilyn" from Silver Screen magazine, published in 1953, August
wombat
mf_w00t1.gif how do you get your grubby little hands on all this stuff? birgits_faint.gif
jily
clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif
great article roksana

thanks for sharing. thumbup1.gif

"0)
jilly
Stacy
Thanks again Roksana. This article contains too really rare pics. You've made us very happy!
Tara
Oh, this is precious. Thanks Roksana.
Amber Nichols
hug.gif Thanks Roksana!!!
roksana
THe article "Marilyn`s Love Problem!" by Michael Sheridan from Silver Screen magazine, published in March, 1953.
Stacy
Thanks again Roksana for this interesting article.
suusmarie
Thanks Roksana clapping.gif .
Tara
Thanks Roksana bye1.gif
roksana
The article "Love Is My Problem" from Silver Screen Magazine from October, 1951.
linkeando
adore your collection!!!!! thanx a billion!!!!
suusmarie
I agree with Jeannette thumbup.gif ! Your collection is wonderful mf_w00t1.gif !

Did you notice the article calls 'As Young As You Feel' by its working-title 'Will You Love Me In December?' coolio.gif .

hug.gif Suus
Fav
Never knew that was the working title!

Thanks Roksana this was an incredibly interesting read. I wonder how much was her words?
magg0rz
I love these articles that are from Marilyn's perspective. They'll be great for quotes and such for my site.
eire
Thank you for sharing this article. There's no way I could've seen something like this otherwise. Thanks again!! smile1.gif
suusmarie
February 1952 thumbup1.gif
Lacrymosa
Suus I love all your posts you always had such great things to share with us, a lot never seen before throb.gif
Stacy
Oh, love it Suus!
linkeando
yes!!!! thank you suus
suusmarie
Two really nice articles in this tribute to MM. Written with a lot of understanding for MM imo. I like the last sentences of the second article especially... so true.

December 1962
Stacy
Oh, Suus. Thank you so much. It is just a wonderful magazine. I love the cover pic of her.
LasseK
Thanks a lot Suus.
Interesting to read the recollections of Friedman from Clash, Don't Bother and River.

Lasse
magda24
Thank you so much! I loved especially the second part. I wonder what is the other actress Friedman mentions (not Stanwyck)? I also wonder why biographers tend to miss this sunny, funny, salty side of Marilyn and like to quote only people saying bad things about her?
Mezzo
QUOTE(Fav @ Dec 4 2006, 04:55 PM) *
Thanks Roksana this was an incredibly interesting read. I wonder how much was her words?

I wondered the same thing, Fav. This sounds like the information that was distributed by the studios during the early years of Marilyn's career. Does anyone know if the actors and actresses really wrote these articles or if they were written by publicity agents?

Thank you to everyone who posted these items. I don't collect magazines or magazine articles, so this article is new to me.
LasseK
QUOTE(Mezzo @ Dec 22 2009, 03:25 PM) *
I wondered the same thing, Fav. This sounds like the information that was distributed by the studios during the early years of Marilyn's career. Does anyone know if the actors and actresses really wrote these articles or if they were written by publicity agents?

In Marilyn's case I do believe that it's probably a bit of both - her own words edited/rewritten by publicity people.
There are some magazine pieces attributed to Marilyn which may be completely a press agent's work, maybe previously published interviews reworked into a new article, but in many articles there are pieces and selections of information which must have come from Marilyn, in one form or another - maybe stilistically reworked.
I think that a few parts of this article above do sound like Marilyn's words, from an interview or maybe from a draft by Marilyn, but a lot of it sounds like written or at least finished by a trained publicity writer.

I have the impression that Marilyn cared about what was published as her own words. However, it's also clear that some or a lot of information put forward was previously discussed with publicity people. In some cases they agreed to put out pieces of misinformation, which later had to be corrected, her age being the most obvious (and a very common) one.

Lasse
JC 96816
clapping.gif Beautiful cover!!! Thanks!!!
meganmarilyn
April 1952 throb.gif
JC 96816
What To Look For In 1960 - (Various stars pix) Here is MM's page...

1960 Silver Screen Annual
roksana
December 1956 marilynbybrandon_190.gif
Joan Newman
Thank you Roxana mf_w00t1.gif
Is it my imagination Roxana, or has it been a long time since we've seen you on ES?
If so, it's nice to see you again. bye1.gif Nettie
JC 96816
marilynbybrandon_190.gif Another winner, thanks again Roksana...
suusmarie
Thank you Roksana clapping.gif. Good to see you again bye1.gif
JC 96816
marilynbybrandon_190.gif

December 1960
suusmarie
October 1953 thumbup1.gif

Again scrambled... blush.gif
Stacy
I love this cover
Stacy
January 1952
Article: Betty Beware; illustrated with this luscious color photo
hopefully someone will have the article

December 1952
Article: I'm Not Afraid to Say Yes
Natural Color Photo
hopefully someone will have the article
suusmarie
May 1953 thumbup1.gif
Stacy
Wonderful! I was just looking at this today on eBay, but it didn't show the inside. Lovely color photo! Remember seeing those pictures on Getty years ago, nice to know what they were used for. Thanks Suus!
suusmarie
July 1954 thumbup1.gif
Stacy
Love it, and love the cover of Jane Russell.
suusmarie
August 1957
Stacy
Love the Ted Baron photos. Thanks Suus!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.