Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Forever Blonde
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Documentaries
Brigitte
I can't wait to see this, it looks like it's going to be pretty good! thumbup1.gif
http://www.marilynforeverblonde.tv/marilyn/mfb_index5.html
liza
Wow I can't wait to see if this film is finaly a good one because I am not so thrilled about all the movies about Marilyn so far.
But this can be good.
dwane
oooo, sounds cool! i can't wait to see it!
SusenSkellington
I don't think I've ever heard about this before. It's sounds pretty interesting, and looks like it would be good.
nicky62
Who is the actress?
when is it coming out? clapping.gif
nicky62
Tara
QUOTE(nicky62 @ Feb 15 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]127326[/snapback]
Who is the actress?
when is it coming out? clapping.gif
nicky62

According to the website, it will be out on DVD next year. Here is a news article that I posted a while ago, with more info about the movie, and actress Sunny Thompson.

http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/ind...=sunny+thompson

And another one:

http://www.seattleweekly.com/2006-07-19/ar...n-las-vegas.php
Marloes
I really don't like the first moviebits where she plays Marilyn. I think she plays it so over the top. She plays Marilyn like Marilyn played her characters. Same goes for the voice.
I don't think it's a genuine portrait of Marilyn. :(
annette
QUOTE(Marloes @ Feb 18 2007, 07:07 PM) [snapback]127540[/snapback]
I really don't like the first moviebits where she plays Marilyn. I think she plays it so over the top. She plays Marilyn like Marilyn played her characters. Same goes for the voice.
I don't think it's a genuine portrait of Marilyn. :(

I agree, but I think she looks very much like Marilyn in some of the photos
Tara
I felt doubtful about this too, but a friend on another group went to see it on stage. She said that although she was expecting the worst, she really enjoyed it. She thought that Sunny Thompson gave a good performance. The script was based on what Marilyn herself said in interviews.

http://www.marilynforeverblonde.com/
Robby
Yes, indeed. I read that the movie was based on Marilyn's actual quotes and information from one of her last interviews. It looks like a nice movie, Sunny looks a bit like Marilyn. I'm excited, I hope I can buy it soon, or that it appears on TV. I'm curious, and after I read that someone from another Marilyn Group actually enjoyed it, I'm very excited biggrin.gif.
marilyns_firstkiss
i am so excited! the play will be in dayton ohio on april 28th along with an exhibition...finally ohio gets some marilyn!!! i will be there the day it opens...thanks for the tips everyone,,,and to tara for the link!!!!! jumpymm.gif
Tara
Tell us what you think of it Erin!
marilynforeverblonde
QUOTE(annette @ Feb 18 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]127544[/snapback]
I agree, but I think she looks very much like Marilyn in some of the photos

The movie which is set to be release late this spring iMarilyn... Forever Blonde The Movie is starring Sunny Thompson who at this time is doing a play at the Stellas Adler Theatre in Hollywood of the same name. The story is set in a photographers studio which turns out to be Marilyn's last photo session before she dies. While there she tells her photgrapher how she became Marilyn in Marilyn's own words which were taken fron interviews and quotes that she has done and said over her lifetime. The Movie is only trying to portay a young woman who in the prime of her life dies tragically. We wanted it to be an honest account of who Marilyn truly was, a very kind loving woman who more than anything just wanted to be a good wife, a mother, respected by her peers and more than anything just wanted to be loved, just like the rest of us. The film stay's away from the breathy voice people tend to associate with her characters. The clips you see are 3rd generation uplinked to a flash player and you are not hearing the true production sound. This film is not trying to impersonate Marilyn as no one can, only Marilyn could be Marilyn. We are just telling a story and doing it in a way as not to disrespect Marilyn or her fans and just to tell her story in her own words. Not only in her own words but also in her own music in the play she sings 17 songs in the movie she also sings 17 songs but also does two full production numbers including "Heatwave and Diamonds". The sets are beautiful and Karl Herrmann the DP has brought to it a George Burkwell/ Busby Berkley and a sixties technicolor feel it is actually a widescreen High Def film. Please go to the website www.marilynforeverblonde.tv so see new photo's and the blog will be up next week regarding the films progress ect
Brigitte
I think it's going to be wonderful! (and tasteful) You've got me very interested & I can't wait to see it!
meganmarilyn
http://www.webstager.com/marilyn/Video_pla...fb_trailer.html

Can someone direct me to what photo session of Marilyn (shown here) with her in the bathtub? I am assuming this is a de' Dienes session, because of her face and hair look. Anyone with photos of Marilyn from this session or direct me to the url here, thanxs.
marilynforeverblonde
QUOTE(meganmarilyn @ Mar 2 2007, 01:50 AM) [snapback]128345[/snapback]
http://www.webstager.com/marilyn/Video_pla...fb_trailer.html

Can someone direct me to what photo session of Marilyn (shown here) with her in the bathtub? I am assuming this is a de' Dienes session, because of her face and hair look. Anyone with photos of Marilyn from this session or direct me to the url here, thanxs.

February 27, 2007
Charles M. Simi Valley, CA

That show on Marilyn is absolutely mesmerising, MM is truly brought back to us , and WOW !!!

February 27, 2007
Debbie Arleta, CA

This show is amazing. It is like being back in time with Marilyn Monroe. It was fun to see all the costume changes, and to listen to all the songs. Sunny has an amazing voice. I loved this show and recommend it to all.

Return to Marilyn...Forever Blonde: The Marilyn Monroe Story in Her Own Words and Music details
marilynforeverblonde
Anna Nicole Smith Marilyn Monroe News - Music, movie & Entertainment

Marilyn Monroe Look-Alike Anna Nicole Smith -- The Queen Is Dead. Long Live The Queen Sunny Thompson!

Sunny Thompson as Marilyn Monroe, in the play \'MARILYN Forever Blonde,\' which turned out to be a true jewel instead of a \'rhinestone.\'
2007-03-04 07:34:57 - By Mark Bellinghaus
The media said goodbye to Marilyn Monroe obsessed fan Anna Nicole Smith on March 2, and the very same night, I witnessed a little miracle on stage. Actress Sunny Thompson literally turned into Marilyn Monroe and was performing so well, that I had to pinch myself to realize that this wasn't an imagination or the full moon eclipse effect. A stunning performance from a lady, who seems to understand Marilyn Monroe, and that is maybe also, why she was so absolute magnificent in portraying her.

I was invited to the opening night of "MARILYN Forever Blonde,
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=409569228&size=o
and did not go, due to the sudden and so shocking passing of Anna Nicole Smith. I was fed up with Marilyn Monroe look-alikes for a while. Too sad and depressing--to see another Marilyn look-alike when one of her admirers jsut died? My head wasn't there, yet. Then, a few days after the opening, cable host and Hollywood original Skip E. Lowe called me up and raved about this play and especially "Marilyn.". He said: "You got to see this woman, Mark! She is better than Marilyn." I simply said 'Goodbye,- and hung up the phone and declared him for crazy.
But--when a lawyer friend of mine called me up and offered me to go, since his date cancelled, I though, well, why not. Today I called Skip E. Lowe back and apologized. I mean I do not think that anybody can be "better than the original," but what happened on stage last night, was almost "magical."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markbellinghaus/409587581/
I have seen many Marilyn Monroe look-alikes over the years. Maybe too many. Good ones, excellent ones, and terrible ones, too. Actress Sunny Thompson is different and better than all of them--combined. She sticks out with her personality and her energy, which she is able to transfer into her Marilyn persona. I have seen now, what Susan Strasberg was talking about, when she described, how Norma Jeane was able to turn into Marilyn Monroe.
She does not necessarily looks exactly like Marilyn, but who really does. Anna Nicole Smith did not look like Marilyn Monroe at all, yet we felt some vulnerability and some sadness, on top of her sexy body and her Marilyn poses and blowing kisses, which she saw in those detailed Marilyn Monroe documentaries, and of course used for her own career. Anna Nicole Smith's breasts were more like Jane Mansfield's and Ms Smith truly reminded me more of the other tragic blonde and Marilyn Monroe want to-be, who died way too young and early and very tragic, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Y5zhK8o30
Actors, directors, producers, musicians, most everybody copies from others, and then calls it "influence." Marilyn Monroe simply did that herself. She was part Jean Harlow, part Marlene Dietrich, and she combined these personalities and gave them their own "home," so to speak: herself.
Marilyn Monroe studied her entire life. She worked extremely hard on herself and was never satisfied.
Finally, you get to see most of the unknown talents of Marilyn Monroe, being portrayed on stage. In an autobiographical play, that might need a few touch ups and corrections, but in my opinion, it is the best that the world has seen thus far, on stage and about Marilyn Monroe.
Marilyn Monroe never slept with Joan Crawford and also did not have an affair with both Kennedy brothers. The only time they could have "done" something seriously, was in March of 1962, when JFK met Marilyn Monroe, at a party in Palm Springs, and that might also explain her very "personal touch" of singing "Happy Birthday" to John F. Kennedy, just two months later and in an almost scandallous way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_4QeDS212c
The play is filled with Marilyn Monroe's real life quotes and many sequences and statements from Monroe's "Last Interview," conducted by Richard Meryman, was used and that is, why this play became so realistic.
I was looking to not like anything. But from the very first second the actress Sunny Thompson appeared on stage, her first "flash" so to speak was catching my attention and gave me many times during the 1 hour 45 minutes lasting performance, that famous goose bumps feeling.
The costume changes are working perfectly with the interacting of the actresses' super professional performance. She can sing, dance and she speaks with Marilyn's voice, and even has the accent down to t. The play was written by Sunny's husband Greg Thompson, who avoided and any of the many annoying conspiracy theories, which brought characters like Robert Slatzer and Jeanne Carmen into the positions of Prince Frederic von Anhalt--if you'd compared Monroe's passing and legacy, to Anna Nicole Smith's.
The play was directed by Stephanie Shine, who is the Artistic Director of Seattle Shakespeare Company-the premier classical theatre in Washington State. And her background really shows. When I interviewed Ms Sunny Thompson and her husband right after her performance, I found out that the great American Marilyn Monroe impersonator Jimmy James, literally passed on his 'Torch- to Sunny Thompson, and that he gave his full approval. Watch some of Jimmy James career highlights by clicking the following link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9LLEYiq1U-4
The director and her actress rehearsed for almost one year and brought this jewel of a performance to perfection. If some of
It is shown at the Stella Adler Theatre, in the middle of old Hollywood. Strangely enough, Marilyn Monroe's famous star on Hollywood Blvd is just across the street. You may visit it, right after the play. Or pay tribute to Marilyn by walking over to the Grauman Chinese Theatre, where Marilyn in 1953, left her hand- and footprints and her famous signature, together with actress and co-star of "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," Jane Russell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laXIOdcu1Ps
If you have a chance to see "MARILYN Forever Blonde," go and do it, you won't regret. Sunny Thompson, turned into Marilyn, like I have never witnessed this before, with anyone. She is Marilyn glamorous, Marilyn in her trade mark terry cloth bathing robes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markbellinghaus/409587583/
(blue and white), Marilyn in slacks and stilettos, and she is our "Lady in red,"
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=409569227&size=o
radiating Marilyn, from the inside out. Go and see this play, you won't regret, I promise.

Monroe Still Classic After All These Years
Back to the Article
by James Sims

Our culture thrives on celebrity driven pulp, with the rise and fall of the American aristocracy - typically movie stars, though today it also covers those disgraceful celebutants – feeding our endurable hunger for gossip and blazoning across the headlines. It is not often that one of those fallen idols’ stories resonates beyond the 15 minutes of morbid fame. Honestly, who in their right mind cares that Britney Spears turned out to be the incompetent one in her marriage? Okay, maybe I do just a little.

Yet every so often a star comes along garnering respect and truly backing up their notoriety with at least a smidgen of talent. Add to that a tragic denouement with a couple high-profile flings, and what emerges is a story worth telling. Playwright Greg Thompson has captured a heart-felt look into the not so private life of a Hollywood darling in his play with music, Marilyn: Forever Blonde, revealing the innermost thoughts of Marilyn Monroe. It is told in her own words and music, currently playing at the Stella Adler Theatre in the heart of Hollywood.

The story has become as old as time, at least in this town of movie magic, with a naïve dreamer wandering into the all too open arms of the Hollywood moguls, only to discover that sex always sells, and once in the grip of the studio system, there is rarely an easy escape route. Or so was the case during the so-called “Golden Age” of Hollywood.

Thompson’s book culls from various interviews and newsreel clips of Monroe - having her reminisce at the ripe old age of 36, nearly time for producers to put her out to pasture - of her turbulent upbringing and rise to one of the silver screen’s most recognizable faces. Monroe, as exquisitely portrayed by Thompson’s wife Sunny, was a shooting star that shined brighter than any of the other Hollywood bombshells. Yet, inevitably, it was the same business that granted her success, which ultimately drove her to that now notorious finale.

Sunny Thompson exhibits an uncanny resemblance to Monroe, not only in her vivacious figure but also in her delicate voice. She amazingly captures the essence of Monroe as beautifully as she fits into the handful of salacious dresses worn throughout the performance. Portraying an extremely vulnerable woman, Thompson recounts Monroe’s past, including the repeated failed romances with the likes of Joe DiMaggio and Arthur Miller, with such touching sincerity, it is hard to discern where Monroe stops and Thompson begins.

Alluding to her ultimate demise, Thompson spends the evening downing a bottle of champagne, which constantly reminds that Hollywood doesn’t always produce happy endings. Forever Blonde could have benefited from a timelier end however, as the one-note nature of Monroe grows slightly tiresome three quarters of the way through the show. Director Stephanie Shine might want to consider cutting out a few costume changes, as they tend to consume too much stage time.

Musical numbers such as “Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend” and “Some Like it Hot” are a pleasure to hear when sung by Thompson, always reminding of Monroe’s iconic imprint left on the world. Accompanied by the elegant costumes (Mimi Countryman and Alice Worthy), flashy lighting (Woody Woodburn) and stark white sets (Jason Phillips), taking in a night of Marilyn: Forever Blonde is a treat, and far more enjoyable than turning on another episode of “True Hollywood Story.”

Marilyn: Forever Blonde includes make-up designer Jimmy James, choreographer Mistinguett and musical arrangement by Scott Farrell. Performances run through Sunday, April 1 at the Stella Adler Theatre at 6773 Hollywood Boulevard. Tickets are $30 and can be purchased at www.tix.com or by calling 800-595-4849. For more information, visit www.marilynforeverblonde.com.

Photos by Howard Petrella

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
James Sims is a freelance writer for The Hollywood Reporter. Born and raised in Los Angeles, he has been a part of the entertainment industry one way or another his entire life. He spent a couple years hosting a morning radio show in South Korea before returning to Los Angeles to pursue a career as an entertainment journalist. James worked for various radio stations around California as well as worked a short while with Entertainment Tonight/The Insider. An avid musical theatre enthusiast, he is constantly traveling to New York to stay caught up with the latest happenings on Broadway. His next goal, to prove to the world that Los Angeles really does have some "high culture" left through shedding light on some of its prime theatre happenings. Although he is still trying to decide if David Zippel's lyrics from "City of Angels" hold any truth, "L.A., truth to tell, is not much different than a pretty girl with the clap."
marilynforeverblonde
QUOTE(marilynforeverblonde @ Mar 1 2007, 12:26 AM) [snapback]128255[/snapback]
The movie which is set to be release late this spring iMarilyn... Forever Blonde The Movie is starring Sunny Thompson who at this time is doing a play at the Stellas Adler Theatre in Hollywood of the same name. The story is set in a photographers studio which turns out to be Marilyn's last photo session before she dies. While there she tells her photgrapher how she became Marilyn in Marilyn's own words which were taken fron interviews and quotes that she has done and said over her lifetime. The Movie is only trying to portay a young woman who in the prime of her life dies tragically. We wanted it to be an honest account of who Marilyn truly was, a very kind loving woman who more than anything just wanted to be a good wife, a mother, respected by her peers and more than anything just wanted to be loved, just like the rest of us. The film stay's away from the breathy voice people tend to associate with her characters. The clips you see are 3rd generation uplinked to a flash player and you are not hearing the true production sound. This film is not trying to impersonate Marilyn as no one can, only Marilyn could be Marilyn. We are just telling a story and doing it in a way as not to disrespect Marilyn or her fans and just to tell her story in her own words. Not only in her own words but also in her own music in the play she sings 17 songs in the movie she also sings 17 songs but also does two full production numbers including "Heatwave and Diamonds". The sets are beautiful and Karl Herrmann the DP has brought to it a George Burkwell/ Busby Berkley and a sixties technicolor feel it is actually a widescreen High Def film. Please go to the website www.marilynforeverblonde.tv so see new photo's and the blog will be up next week regarding the films progress ect

March 3, 2007
Mark Bellinghaus Los Angeles, CA

The play was written by Greg Thompson, Sunny's husband and he did his homework and research. Intelligent and fact based writing. Thank goodness someone finally stuck to the facts and reality. This 1:45 min. play was directed by Stephanie Shine, who is the Artistic Director of Seattle Shakespeare Company and she was simply perfect for this job. Bravo! I will be back and bring my friends, because this is truly a jewel, right on Hollywood Blvd. In the heart of "old Hollywood." And if you have a minute after the play, pay respect to Marilyn, cause her star is right across the street, and her hand and footprints are only a stone throw away, at Grauman's Chinese Theatre. I woke up this morning, and was wondering, if I was dreaming last night of Marilyn Monroe. It was that good, I promise.
March 3, 2007
Mark Bellinghaus Los Angeles, CA

I went to see this play last night, the day when another Marilyn Monroe look-alike was finally laid to rest. But what I witnessed on stage was surprise. I have seen many many Marilyn Monroe look-alikes, good ones and terrible ones, too. Sunny Thompson is by far the best. She has the mannerisms down to a t, her voice, the body and Marilyn's look. It was an absolute surprise to see this autobiographical portrayal, which was performed with respect to the real legend. It wasn't cheesy at all. The custom changes are interesting, as Ms Thompson slips into Marilyn slacks, stilettos and wonderful gowns and looks breathtakingly realistic. It was a true surprise and the actress gives 110%. She can sing and it comes from her heart. Her voice and even her accent is exactly like the original. This is a must for any Marilyn Monroe fan and admirer.
February 27, 2007
Charles M. Simi Valley, CA

That show on Marilyn is absolutely mesmerising, MM is truly brought back to us , and WOW !!!
February 27, 2007
Debbie Arleta, CA

This show is amazing. It is like being back in time with Marilyn Monroe. It was fun to see all the costume changes, and to listen to all the songs. Sunny has an amazing voice. I loved this show and recommend it to all.

Marilyn Monroe Look-Alike Anna Nicole Smith -- The Queen Is Dead. Long Live The Queen Sunny Thompson!

Sunny Thompson as Marilyn Monroe, in the play \'MARILYN Forever Blonde,\' which turned out to be a true jewel instead of a \'rhinestone.\'

2007-03-04 07:34:57 - By Mark Bellinghaus
The media said goodbye to Marilyn Monroe obsessed fan Anna Nicole Smith on March 2, and the very same night, I witnessed a little miracle on stage. Actress Sunny Thompson literally turned into Marilyn Monroe and was performing so well, that I had to pinch myself to realize that this wasn't an imagination or the full moon eclipse effect. A stunning performance from a lady, who seems to understand Marilyn Monroe, and that is maybe also, why she was so absolute magnificent in portraying her.

I was invited to the opening night of "MARILYN Forever Blonde,
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=409569228&size=o
and did not go, due to the sudden and so shocking passing of Anna Nicole Smith. I was fed up with Marilyn Monroe look-alikes for a while. Too sad and depressing--to see another Marilyn look-alike when one of her admirers jsut died? My head wasn't there, yet. Then, a few days after the opening, cable host and Hollywood original Skip E. Lowe called me up and raved about this play and especially "Marilyn.". He said: "You got to see this woman, Mark! She is better than Marilyn." I simply said 'Goodbye,- and hung up the phone and declared him for crazy.
But--when a lawyer friend of mine called me up and offered me to go, since his date cancelled, I though, well, why not. Today I called Skip E. Lowe back and apologized. I mean I do not think that anybody can be "better than the original," but what happened on stage last night, was almost "magical."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markbellinghaus/409587581/
I have seen many Marilyn Monroe look-alikes over the years. Maybe too many. Good ones, excellent ones, and terrible ones, too. Actress Sunny Thompson is different and better than all of them--combined. She sticks out with her personality and her energy, which she is able to transfer into her Marilyn persona. I have seen now, what Susan Strasberg was talking about, when she described, how Norma Jeane was able to turn into Marilyn Monroe.
She does not necessarily looks exactly like Marilyn, but who really does. Anna Nicole Smith did not look like Marilyn Monroe at all, yet we felt some vulnerability and some sadness, on top of her sexy body and her Marilyn poses and blowing kisses, which she saw in those detailed Marilyn Monroe documentaries, and of course used for her own career. Anna Nicole Smith's breasts were more like Jane Mansfield's and Ms Smith truly reminded me more of the other tragic blonde and Marilyn Monroe want to-be, who died way too young and early and very tragic, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Y5zhK8o30
Actors, directors, producers, musicians, most everybody copies from others, and then calls it "influence." Marilyn Monroe simply did that herself. She was part Jean Harlow, part Marlene Dietrich, and she combined these personalities and gave them their own "home," so to speak: herself.
Marilyn Monroe studied her entire life. She worked extremely hard on herself and was never satisfied.
Finally, you get to see most of the unknown talents of Marilyn Monroe, being portrayed on stage. In an autobiographical play, that might need a few touch ups and corrections, but in my opinion, it is the best that the world has seen thus far, on stage and about Marilyn Monroe.
Marilyn Monroe never slept with Joan Crawford and also did not have an affair with both Kennedy brothers. The only time they could have "done" something seriously, was in March of 1962, when JFK met Marilyn Monroe, at a party in Palm Springs, and that might also explain her very "personal touch" of singing "Happy Birthday" to John F. Kennedy, just two months later and in an almost scandallous way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_4QeDS212c
The play is filled with Marilyn Monroe's real life quotes and many sequences and statements from Monroe's "Last Interview," conducted by Richard Meryman, was used and that is, why this play became so realistic.
I was looking to not like anything. But from the very first second the actress Sunny Thompson appeared on stage, her first "flash" so to speak was catching my attention and gave me many times during the 1 hour 45 minutes lasting performance, that famous goose bumps feeling.
The costume changes are working perfectly with the interacting of the actresses' super professional performance. She can sing, dance and she speaks with Marilyn's voice, and even has the accent down to t. The play was written by Sunny's husband Greg Thompson, who avoided and any of the many annoying conspiracy theories, which brought characters like Robert Slatzer and Jeanne Carmen into the positions of Prince Frederic von Anhalt--if you'd compared Monroe's passing and legacy, to Anna Nicole Smith's.
The play was directed by Stephanie Shine, who is the Artistic Director of Seattle Shakespeare Company-the premier classical theatre in Washington State. And her background really shows. When I interviewed Ms Sunny Thompson and her husband right after her performance, I found out that the great American Marilyn Monroe impersonator Jimmy James, literally passed on his 'Torch- to Sunny Thompson, and that he gave his full approval. Watch some of Jimmy James career highlights by clicking the following link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9LLEYiq1U-4
The director and her actress rehearsed for almost one year and brought this jewel of a performance to perfection. If some of
It is shown at the Stella Adler Theatre, in the middle of old Hollywood. Strangely enough, Marilyn Monroe's famous star on Hollywood Blvd is just across the street. You may visit it, right after the play. Or pay tribute to Marilyn by walking over to the Grauman Chinese Theatre, where Marilyn in 1953, left her hand- and footprints and her famous signature, together with actress and co-star of "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," Jane Russell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laXIOdcu1Ps
If you have a chance to see "MARILYN Forever Blonde," go and do it, you won't regret. Sunny Thompson, turned into Marilyn, like I have never witnessed this before, with anyone. She is Marilyn glamorous, Marilyn in her trade mark terry cloth bathing robes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markbellinghaus/409587583/
(blue and white), Marilyn in slacks and stilettos, and she is our "Lady in red,"
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=409569227&size=o
radiating Marilyn, from the inside out. Go and see this play, you won't regret, I promise.

Monroe Still Classic After All These Years
Back to the Article
by James Sims

Our culture thrives on celebrity driven pulp, with the rise and fall of the American aristocracy - typically movie stars, though today it also covers those disgraceful celebutants – feeding our endurable hunger for gossip and blazoning across the headlines. It is not often that one of those fallen idols’ stories resonates beyond the 15 minutes of morbid fame. Honestly, who in their right mind cares that Britney Spears turned out to be the incompetent one in her marriage? Okay, maybe I do just a little.

Yet every so often a star comes along garnering respect and truly backing up their notoriety with at least a smidgen of talent. Add to that a tragic denouement with a couple high-profile flings, and what emerges is a story worth telling. Playwright Greg Thompson has captured a heart-felt look into the not so private life of a Hollywood darling in his play with music, Marilyn: Forever Blonde, revealing the innermost thoughts of Marilyn Monroe. It is told in her own words and music, currently playing at the Stella Adler Theatre in the heart of Hollywood.

The story has become as old as time, at least in this town of movie magic, with a naïve dreamer wandering into the all too open arms of the Hollywood moguls, only to discover that sex always sells, and once in the grip of the studio system, there is rarely an easy escape route. Or so was the case during the so-called “Golden Age” of Hollywood.

Thompson’s book culls from various interviews and newsreel clips of Monroe - having her reminisce at the ripe old age of 36, nearly time for producers to put her out to pasture - of her turbulent upbringing and rise to one of the silver screen’s most recognizable faces. Monroe, as exquisitely portrayed by Thompson’s wife Sunny, was a shooting star that shined brighter than any of the other Hollywood bombshells. Yet, inevitably, it was the same business that granted her success, which ultimately drove her to that now notorious finale.

Sunny Thompson exhibits an uncanny resemblance to Monroe, not only in her vivacious figure but also in her delicate voice. She amazingly captures the essence of Monroe as beautifully as she fits into the handful of salacious dresses worn throughout the performance. Portraying an extremely vulnerable woman, Thompson recounts Monroe’s past, including the repeated failed romances with the likes of Joe DiMaggio and Arthur Miller, with such touching sincerity, it is hard to discern where Monroe stops and Thompson begins.

Alluding to her ultimate demise, Thompson spends the evening downing a bottle of champagne, which constantly reminds that Hollywood doesn’t always produce happy endings. Forever Blonde could have benefited from a timelier end however, as the one-note nature of Monroe grows slightly tiresome three quarters of the way through the show. Director Stephanie Shine might want to consider cutting out a few costume changes, as they tend to consume too much stage time.

Musical numbers such as “Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend” and “Some Like it Hot” are a pleasure to hear when sung by Thompson, always reminding of Monroe’s iconic imprint left on the world. Accompanied by the elegant costumes (Mimi Countryman and Alice Worthy), flashy lighting (Woody Woodburn) and stark white sets (Jason Phillips), taking in a night of Marilyn: Forever Blonde is a treat, and far more enjoyable than turning on another episode of “True Hollywood Story.”
Marilyn: Forever Blonde includes make-up designer Jimmy James, choreographer Mistinguett and musical arrangement by Scott Farrell. Performances run through Sunday, April 1 at the Stella Adler Theatre at 6773 Hollywood Boulevard. Tickets are $30 and can be purchased at www.tix.com or by calling 800-595-4849. For more information, visit www.marilynforeverblonde.com.
Photos by Howard Petrella

James Sims is a freelance writer for The Hollywood Reporter. Born and raised in Los Angeles, he has been a part of the entertainment industry one way or another his entire life. He spent a couple years hosting a morning radio show in South Korea before returning to Los Angeles to pursue a career as an entertainment journalist. James worked for various radio stations around California as well as worked a short while with Entertainment Tonight/The Insider. An avid musical theatre enthusiast, he is constantly traveling to New York to stay caught up with the latest happenings on Broadway. His next goal, to prove to the world that Los Angeles really does have some "high culture" left through shedding light on some of its prime theatre happenings. Although he is still trying to decide if David Zippel's lyrics from "City of Angels" hold any truth, "L.A., truth to tell, is not much different than a pretty girl with the clap."
Marloes
QUOTE(marilynforeverblonde @ Mar 1 2007, 12:26 AM) [snapback]128255[/snapback]
The film stay's away from the breathy voice people tend to associate with her characters. The clips you see are 3rd generation uplinked to a flash player and you are not hearing the true production sound. This film is not trying to impersonate Marilyn as no one can, only Marilyn could be Marilyn. We are just telling a story and doing it in a way as not to disrespect Marilyn or her fans and just to tell her story in her own words.

I understand and I'm always happy to hear people are doing the best they can to make an honest portrait. People, including me, judge easily by watching a trailer or a preview. That's what they judge a movie by before they go see it. If the trailer isn't appealing, some may decide not to watch it.
Marilyn didn't speak with a breathy voice in her personal life so that's why I thought that it was a superficial portrait yet again. I think it's kinda a lack of research filmmakers do when the actress who portrays Marilyn speaks like Marilyn did in her movies.
I will watch it anyway since I'm a Marilyn fan. smile1.gif
marilynforeverblonde
QUOTE(Marloes @ Mar 10 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]128975[/snapback]
I understand and I'm always happy to hear people are doing the best they can to make an honest portrait. People, including me, judge easily by watching a trailer or a preview. That's what they judge a movie by before they go see it. If the trailer isn't appealing, some may decide not to watch it.
Marilyn didn't speak with a breathy voice in her personal life so that's why I thought that it was a superficial portrait yet again. I think it's kinda a lack of research filmmakers do when the actress who portrays Marilyn speaks like Marilyn did in her movies.
I will watch it anyway since I'm a Marilyn fan. smile1.gif

Well you might get that chance as Marilyn...Forever Blonde has been accepted to Festival de Cannes which is May 16-27 2007 hope you can get down to Cannes and come and see it. You can sign up for updates at www.marilynforeverblonde.tv
Thank you.
marilynforeverblonde
QUOTE(marilyns_firstkiss @ Feb 22 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]127861[/snapback]
i am so excited! the play will be in dayton ohio on april 28th along with an exhibition...finally ohio gets some marilyn!!! i will be there the day it opens...thanks for the tips everyone,,,and to tara for the link!!!!! jumpymm.gif

Did you get to see the play? If you did tells us what you thought?
Fav
QUOTE(marilynforeverblonde @ Mar 26 2007, 12:44 AM) [snapback]130186[/snapback]
Well you might get that chance as Marilyn...Forever Blonde has been accepted to Festival de Cannes which is May 16-27 2007 hope you can get down to Cannes and come and see it. You can sign up for updates at www.marilynforeverblonde.tv
Thank you.

It was my belief that the Cannes film festival is closed to only those that are in the film industry and you have to have passes to attend anything there in May. It would be good to know if the stage show will come to the UK.
luvyou_MM
this play was briliant!! great marilyn look alike and great actress...made me seriously cry and laugh along with every word. amazing. I need to own this movie ASAP once it is released!
Nancy
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T7gw_gsbXek

I'm not impressed with these clips. Sunny Thompson looks a bit too... mannish to play Marilyn. There's something very unfeminine about her. I just don't know...

It's too over the top or something... I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. unsure.gif
Robby
I like her! She doesn't look much like Marilyn, but I think she's a good actress. Did you know Jimmy James did her make up?
dwane
i think she was pretty good. the hairstyle i didn't care for and some parts were a little exhaggerated but i think it'll be a pretty good movie. it seems more like a play than a movie though.

the voice was pretty good too, though exhaggerated soem parts. i think she would do a really good sugar kane, the hair movements when she's behind that screen and everything.
liza
I am stunned !!!
This coold be the movie that shows the real Marilyn and not some kind of sexmaniac as in other sic movies.
I am wondering what the release date is.
I will buy it for shure and I know from what I saw that I will be delighted about it
Lacrymosa
QUOTE(jemaniac @ Oct 27 2007, 05:43 AM) *
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T7gw_gsbXek

I'm not impressed with these clips. Sunny Thompson looks a bit too... mannish to play Marilyn. There's something very unfeminine about her. I just don't know...

It's too over the top or something... I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. unsure.gif

Thank you for the video.
I agree with you Nancy.
Her make-up is really great though, she is cute but all is really too exaggerated. And I really don't like her hair unsure.gif
But I think it's really hard to be like Marilyn...
luvyou_MM
Im just SUPER happy and excited that a movie is going to be made that will most likely be legit and uses her real quotes and doesnt make her look like a slut or a joke. angry.gif

I cant wait to purchase the dvd. the woman was good in person. I enjoyed the play alot.
Demos Kratos
I can't find this DVD anywhere, can anyone link me to it? - to purchase I mean lol, no downloads please biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.