Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marilyn Monroe - A Life Of The Actress
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Fav
Has anyone read this book? I've seen it up for sale on ebay and was wondering. Cheers! balloon.gif
Tara
I love this book. It is a biography, but focuses on Marilyn's film work in detail rather than her private life. It is a wonderful appreciation of her acting achievements. I say go for it!
missmarilyn
I'll need to get this sometime soon. It does sound good. thumbup1.gif
Robby
Me too! Are there any pictures in this book?
Tara
There are only a few pictures and they are not rare. It's more of a text-based book.
Paju
That sounds like a very interesting book! Since it's about her life as an actress, does it even take a look at all in MM's youth?
Tara
QUOTE(Paju @ Feb 9 2007, 05:10 PM) [snapback]126847[/snapback]
That sounds like a very interesting book! Since it's about her life as an actress, does it even take a look at all in MM's youth?

Oh yes, it does cover her life from beginning to end. But what makes this book different from most biographies is the in-depth analysis of Marilyn's film work, and her development as an artist. It also includes the text of her final interview at the end.

Here's a review of the book:

http://home.att.net/~sallyann3/rollyson.html
Robby
Thank you, Tara.
Paju
Thanks, Tara smile1.gif I might add this to my wish list.
Robby
Me too, it sounds very intruiging.
suusmarie
wink3.gif
Fav
Oooo i just checked back on this thread. Must get it though not sure if I will this time round as they are charging quite a lot for it. ! Thanks everyone Will most likely get it next time round. balloon.gif
Claire<3'sMarilyn
I just grabbed this book on ebay for a purse-pleasing £4.99 and although ive only just started to read it I am enjoying it greatly and would recomend it! Its lovely to finally read a book where she is credited as the marvellous actress she was rather than yet another documenting how 'tragic' she was.
Paju
I found this at the library today so I borrowed it. I believe I'll enjoy it smile1.gif
Tara
QUOTE(Paju @ Jan 20 2009, 04:20 PM) *
I found this at the library today so I borrowed it. I believe I'll enjoy it smile1.gif

If you have time, can you review it on your book blog Sirkku? Would love to read your thoughts!
Paju
If I have time, I definitely will. I've been neglecting my blog too much anyway.
purple people-eater
I'm about half way through this book myself. It is very good.
Paju
I read the first two chapters yesterday and it seems very promising smile1.gif
Bobby
Simultaneous ES readers! I'm currently reading this one too and just like Tara said, the in-depth analysis of Marilyn's acting talent and of her movie roles is fascinating. I found the author's dissection of 'Miss Caswell' particularly insightful.

Thank you for your comments and that link you posted, Tara; I wouldn't have bought it without them thumbup1.gif
abeautifulchild
This is one of my favorite Marilyn reads.
I think the author makes a real effort to understand her.
magda24
I just purchased it on polish ebay, paperback version from '93 for about 9 dollars. I can't wait to get it!
Tara
You struck it lucky Magda - definitely one of my fave Marilyn books! thumbup1.gif
SugarKane78
Oh this sounds great too! I own about 8 of her bios but have SO many still to get, where do I begin?! jumpymm.gif
magda24
I know, I'm so happy. I'm pretty tired of reading her bios, where her affairs are more important than her acting:) It'll be interesting to read an analysis of her body of work.

QUOTE(Tara @ Apr 30 2010, 12:46 PM) *
You struck it lucky Magda - definitely one of my fave Marilyn books! thumbup1.gif
CYRILPARIS
For spring 2014.

From author:
I'm pleased to announce that University Press of Mississippi will be publishing a new edition of my biography, Marilyn Monroe: A Life of the Actress. This new edition will take into account much new material that has become available about her life and career as well some revelations from interviews I conducted more than twenty-five years ago when some of my informants requested anonymity. I believe I can provide a more complete picture of what was happening during Monroe last days, when she seemed simultaneously poised to make a breakthrough in her career and downhearted at disapointments with herself and others over how to emerge as a still greater human being and artist.
Tara
More about the new, 'Revised and Updated' edition, which is currently slated for a June release in the US...

THE FIRST BIOGRAPHY TO FOCUS ON THE AMERICAN ICON'S ACTING CRAFT

In American popular culture, Marilyn Monroe (1926-1962) has evolved in stature from movie superstar to American icon. Monroe's own understanding of her place in the American imagination and her effort to perfect her talent as an actress are explored with great sensitivity in Carl Rollyson's engaging narrative. He shows how movies became crucial events in the shaping of Monroe's identity. He regards her enduring gifts as a creative artist, discussing how her smaller roles in The Asphalt Jungle and All About Eve established the context for her career, while in-depth chapters on her more important roles in Bus Stop, Some Like It Hot, and The Misfits provide the centerpiece of his examination of her life and career.

Through extensive interviews with many of Monroe's colleagues, close friends, and other biographers, and a careful rethinking of the literature written about her, Rollyson is able to describe her use of Method acting and her studies with Michael Chekhov and Lee Strasberg, head of the Actors' Studio in New York. The author also analyzes several of Monroe's own drawings, diary notes, and letters that have recently become available. With over thirty black and white photographs (some published for the first time), a new foreword, and a new afterword, this volume brings Rollyson's 1986 book up to date.

From this comprehensive, yet critically measured wealth of material, Rollyson offers a distinctive and insightful portrait of Marilyn Monroe, highlighted by new perspectives that depict the central importance of acting to the authentic aspects of her being.

256 PAGES (APPROX.), 6 X 9 INCHES, 36 B&W PHOTOGRAPHS, FILMOGRAPHY, BIBLIOGRAPHY, INDEX

Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: University Press of Mississippi; Rev Upd edition
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1617039780
ISBN-13: 978-1617039782
Celia
I might be wrong. But I wonder how he is going to analyse Monroe“s approach of Method acting. In order to do so you should have to have a deep knowledge of what Method acting is , and not only that but what Strasberg“s Method was about. I mean, that is something that great acting teachers and actors can do, because they don“t only have read about it but know what it takes.I doubt other people can do that. Of course, everybody can say an opinion, but I mean saying what techniques she is using, etc. UFF, I don“t believe it. If there are actors in this forum I am sure you know what I mean. Anyway, I am curious. I think I “ll buy it after all.
THanks for sharing it , Tara
monty0330
I've just ordered the new edition of this book. Can't wait to finally hold it in my hands.
Paju
The new edition sounds good to me smile1.gif I might get it after hearing some of your opinions.
magda24
QUOTE(monty0330 @ May 31 2014, 01:15 PM) *
I've just ordered the new edition of this book. Can't wait to finally hold it in my hands.

It'll be great to know your opinion- is the new content worth buying it again?
monty0330
sorry to disappoint you but contrary to my first thought I cancelled the order and didn't purchase the new edition... I went for the old one because it was cheaper and I only need it for reasons of research for my thesis. anyway if anybody DID actually buy the new edition I would be grateful to have your opinions about it... What is new, what is different? thanks a lot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.