Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marilyn: Private And Undisclosed
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Robby
Fellow Board member Michelle Morgan (Also known for her book 'Marilyn Adresses'), wrote a new biographie called 'Marilyn: Private and Undisclosed'. It's not yet published, but here is a link to it on Amazon:

Marilyn by Michelle Morgan.
Tara
I'm really looking forward to this book. It's been a few years since there was a fullscale biography of Marilyn, and this sounds like a very promising project. It will be fully illustrated with rare, previously unpublished photos on nearly every page, as well as interviews with many people who have never spoken about Marilyn. As well as writing 'Marilyn's Addresses,' Michelle has been president of the UK's Marilyn Lives Society for many years. Because she is a true fan, I feel this will be a very sincere and revealing book.
Robby
Thanks for explaining some things, Tara! I'm really looking foreward to the unpublished and rare pictures on every page, it really sounds like a promising book. I also adore the cover. I'm also interested in the interviews - Beware mister Spoto laughing.gif. I hope this book will come in the Dutch bookstores or online stores also.
Paju
I'm also very much looking forward to this book. I expect a lot from it. As it is written by someone who is a true fan, has been for years, I think the book could be one of the best biographies ever written of MM. True fans don't believe all the lies, they know better than that.
LostHurlyFan
I know I so looking forward to this book as well. I do know that she had done ALOT!! of research and just put in alot of hard work on this book. She seem's like the rest of us. She would like to read A book about Marilyn that is not full of lies. blush.gif
Meikkuli
Cannot wait either! :-) This and the last of the Harry Potter books will really make my summer laugh.gif
chris
I'm also waiting this boo with impatience
It seems that it will be the best book written about Marilyn.
Michelle is doing such great work
Chris
Marloes
Another book is coming out! This book seems interesting and I can't wait till it comes out!

Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: Carroll & Graf (June 28, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0786719583
ISBN-13: 978-0786719587

A comprehensive and meticulously researched treasure trove of information that brings to light the ordinary domestic details to the countless controversies of Marilyn Monroe’s life. Dozens of people who knew or were related to Marilyn — from the key players in her life (family, friends, and colleagues) to casual acquaintances — cover Marilyn’s foster childhood to her mysterious death.

This is a candid, human portrait of a woman whose star has only become brighter with passing generations.

http://www.amazon.com/Marilyn-Monroe-Undis...5761085-7631127
Tara
Hi Marloes, there is another thread on this book - perhaps it could be merged? bye1.gif

http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/ind...michelle+morgan

Also, here is a synopsis from Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1845295...d=3DIX5RPIK375Q

Synopsis
This valuable new biography, by the President of the UK fan club, contains the fullest ever collection of primary source material on Marilyn Monroe, covering all stages of her life. It includes over 70 fine-reproduction rare and unpublished photographs. The photographs show Marilyn's real world, the world away from the fans, the studio heads and general public. They reveal a different side of Marilyn from the celluloid invention - relaxing at home, living her everyday life. They include locations from the various stages of her life - the schools she attended as Norma Jeane, the ballroom where she danced with first husband Jim Dougherty; the street where Marilyn claimed she was attacked by an intruder; and candid shots of her on the sets of films. Michelle Morgan has also interviewed every single person accessible who knew or was related to Marilyn in any way, including the main players in her life - family and friends, as well as work colleagues, and more casual acquaintances. More than 50 interviewees are featured, many never put on the record before, including a large number from her orphaned childhood and early years - details of which until now have remained mysterious and patchy. Documentary sources range from the private testimony of her gynaecologist, to the previously undisclosed Laurence Olivier papers relating to Marilyn's time in England. Following a series of sensationalist biographies of the Marilyn Monroe in recent years, this comprehensive, meticulously researched volume brings an important fresh perspective to the many controversies in her life, and will serve as an essential sourcebook of documentary and photographic evidence.
marilyns_firstkiss
i will be placing my order very soon!!! jumpymm.gif
Marloes
QUOTE(Tara @ Mar 1 2007, 11:03 PM) [snapback]128318[/snapback]
Hi Marloes, there is another thread on this book - perhaps it could be merged? bye1.gif

Ooh, I'm sorry! I checkedif this topic already exicted, but I must have overlooked it! blushing.gif
Tara
QUOTE(Marloes @ Mar 2 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]128376[/snapback]
Ooh, I'm sorry! I checkedif this topic already exicted, but I must have overlooked it! blushing.gif

No problem Marloes! I'm glad you brought the topic back, this book seems so interesting! throb.gif
suusmarie
I wonder what will be the definitive cover coolio.gif
Tara
QUOTE(suusmarie @ May 16 2007, 03:10 AM) [snapback]134030[/snapback]
I wonder what will be the definitive cover coolio.gif

Suus, I think that the third one will be the final cover.
Paju
I've seen the first one on Amazon.com so I assumed it was going to be the cover. But any of those is fine by me! They all look great. The last one especially, because I love rare pictures of young MM smile1.gif
~TheGirl~
I love the first photo! But i think they are all great smile1.gif
Marloes
I like the first and third one the best! biggrin.gif
monroe62
http://www.amazon.com/Marilyn-Monroe-Undisclosed-Michelle-Morgan/dp/0786719583

First, having worked with Michelle on this, I'm almost as excited to see it as she is and which is why I received my Christmas early this year.

Now, everyone remember the scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original) when after it's announced that the five golden tickets were found and then one was a fake and Charlie carefully and slowly tore back the wrapper from his chocolate bar and you saw just a glint of shiny gold paper? That's the way I felt when I got the package in the mail. I opened it just enough to slide it a wee bit out of the wrapper.

Hello gorgeous! The 'tattered' photograph of Marilyn leaning against a car, scarf in one hand, the other holding down her purse, shoulder length hair rests upon a white blouse over a knee length skirt and open sling pumps is against a cocoa froth brown background with hot pink lettering. With a matching hot pink ribbon bookmark, a touch that you'd expect Marilyn to do herself on a summer day while she went inside to get a lemonade or iced tea. Very elegant, classy and (sorry men), girly. And that's even before cracking it open.

Nice high gloss paper that shows off the photographs beautifully. And what photographs. Many of them have never been seen publicly before and they are amazing. Others are very rarely seen and the quality is stunning in both black & white and color. Scattered amongst the margins of the book are small "snapshots" that accompany the text. A nice mixture of images with many of them larger and uncropped at the end of each season - Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter in Marilyn's life. Oh yeah, and some of places she lived and such taken by me. (Which makes everything come full circle as it was Michelle's Marilyn's Addresses that was a major inspiration for Hometown Girl and to have my photos in her book is a collaboration I never dreamed would've happened, and I'm honored that it did.)

I read it in one sitting as I couldn't put it down. I will admit that I had a time with the way the dates are written (5 November, etc.) but everything seamlessly blends and flows together to where you don't realize that you are finished until you are.

Michelle definitely touches on much of what has already been written about Marilyn, but refreshingly told and expanded upon through interviews and shared memories from people from all aspects of Monroe's short life including Nancy Bolender Jefferies, Bill Pursel, Hal Schaefer, the Dougherty family, Edith Shaw Marcus, Vera Day and many more that have never or hardly spoken about their relationships with Norma Jeane/Marilyn till now. Plus rare personal interviews, unpublished manuscripts and documents kept away from the public till the past year or so fill in many gaps that have always been present.

(There are far too many to individudally list as Michelle acknowledges and thanks all of those that assisted in whatever way with this project - a gestured so appreciated and often times overlooked by others.)

Marilyn Monroe Private and Undisclosed is thoroughly researched, thought-out honest and well-balanced presentation of MM. It doesn't sugar coat the truth, showing Marilyn to be an intelligent, strong, determined woman who led a very precariously balancing act between her very public private and professional lives with slips and falls along the way as any of us would have.

Michelle didn't give us MARILYN MONROE, the studio produced, or naysayers version of who, what and why she was - but the person behind the image, the one Norma Jeane would want us to know herself. Morgan humanizes the icon, which only make you love her all that much more.

So, call me biased, but I definitely believe that Marilyn Monroe Private and Unrevealed will be held in high esteem and used as a resource for generations to come.

(The image used on Amazon was a mock-up and my description is the final cover for the UK version with the US version having a silver color scheme and ribbon bookmark.)
~TheGirl~
Sounds fabulous!!!:)

Thank you so much for sharing your review
suusmarie
I followed Michelle's progress with the book thru a MM Yahoo-group and am very exited the publish-date is coming near biggrin.gif ! Thanks for the review!
By the way Eric, I love your book 'Hometown Girl', I enjoy it very much, my compliments thumbup.gif !

hug.gif Suus
monroe62
QUOTE(suusmarie @ Jun 19 2007, 09:07 PM) [snapback]136679[/snapback]
I followed Michelle's progress with the book thru a MM Yahoo-group and am very exited the publish-date is coming near biggrin.gif ! Thanks for the review!
By the way Eric, I love your book 'Hometown Girl', I enjoy it very much, my compliments thumbup.gif !

hug.gif Suus

Thank you very much Suus. Hopefully one day you'll get out to Los Angeles and beable to see some of those places in person - though it's changed even since I wrote it. The Ambassador Hotel was almost completely demolished - they're putting up a elementary/junior high/high school complex for the neighborhood. Something needed, but what a loss. They did keep the entrance and Cocoanut Grove part, other than that, bye-bye. And the Formosa has a giant Target Store next to it making it very tiny and nothing like it looked in LA Confidential. Progress.

Hmph.
Tara
Thanks for your review and welcome to ES! bye1.gif
monroe62
QUOTE(Tara @ Jun 20 2007, 08:49 AM) [snapback]136715[/snapback]
Thanks for your review and welcome to ES! bye1.gif

Thanks Tara thumbup1.gif and here's the actual cover of the UK version.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z7/home...esBookCover.jpg
~TheGirl~
What a gorgeous choice for the front cover!!! Thank you so much for posting it, O and wellcome to the board smile1.gif
LostHurlyFan
I have been following Michelle's progress the whole time she has been writting this book. From what she has described in the yahoo groups I belong too, Michelle has put ALOT of hard work and did alot of research for this book. I have the utmost respect for her that and I am so looking forward to reading this book. Michelle kindly sent me A copy of A brochure for the book and it looks amazing. I wish her the best of luck with it. cheers.gif
Meikkuli
I got my copy of the book two weeks ago as well, and I really love it. Michelle has done a fantastic job. Eric gave it such a thorough review already, but I just want to add that it's definately a must-have, so many rare unpublished interviews with people you've probably not even heard of. It's a really refreshing read after all the same-ol-same-old... I highly recommend it to everyone!
Merja
LuvBabyJane
QUOTE(Meikkuli @ Jul 1 2007, 09:27 PM) *
I got my copy of the book two weeks ago as well, and I really love it. Michelle has done a fantastic job. Eric gave it such a thorough review already, but I just want to add that it's definately a must-have, so many rare unpublished interviews with people you've probably not even heard of. It's a really refreshing read after all the same-ol-same-old... I highly recommend it to everyone!
Merja

This book really does sound promising!

After reading so many diffrent biography's I had promised myself not to read anymore as they all seemed to contain 'the same old stuff!' and I had decided I would only buy the photo books, which are my favourite, but reading what's being said about this book so far I think I just might have to give it a go.....one for my birthday list!! jumpymm.gif
RetroLove
This book sounds too good to be true!

I cant wait to get it jumpymm.gif
LuvBabyJane
Soooo excited!...I did'nt think this book would become available in the UK untill the 13 September?!!?

However, according to Amazon and Waterstones online store it is available NOW?!?

I so Hope this is correct, I will be phoning my local book store firtst thing in the morning! jumpymm.gif

Here is a reveiw of the book that was left on Amazon:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ultimate biography? you decide, 13 Jul 2007

About 15 years ago I bought a book on Jean Harlow called Platinum Girl. It is a beautful book about the actress and the format was stunning... written with a great deal of respect and insight into the life of the fabled Hollywood Goddess. How I wished at the time that there was such a book on Marilyn Monroe, because to me, she deserved a book of this quality to tell her life story...
When I saw Michelle's book I was immediately struck by how it looked. It is a stunning book with over 70 photos, fine 4-colour sepia printing throughout... my thoughts reminded me of the Harlow book and I felt as if my wish all those years ago had come true!
Michelle tells the now familiar story of Marilyn's life with new "eye-witness" accounts from people who haven't spoken publicly before. Her childhood is written about in great detail and you have to hand it to Michelle for her efforts in contacting people who were friends of Marilyn at the time and knew her in the orphange etc
Michelle's story is very respectful to Marilyn's memory and this is obvious in her writing but she has tried to be as honest as she can be, she trys to set the record straight where other authors have perhaps used sensational stories & scandal when there hasn't been... she leaves it open for the reader to make up their own mind.
Sometimes this was a bit frustrating as I felt there could have been more detail to certain things that happened, especially on film sets and at other times. Although much has been written about MM over the years, you always hope that one day a book will appear with every little detail that you have read (and believed to have been accurate), I suspect that Michelle didn't want to go over "old territory" and wanted to keep her book fresh, for example she writes about the filming of 'Clash By Night' and although Marilyn was often forgetting her lines or late on set, she writes that Barbara Stanwyck was quite cold to her colleagues and refused to sign autographs for fans and that Paul Douglas had wanted Marilyn's name to be below the films titles... but she omits that Stanwyck challenged Douglas to keep Marilyn's name above the title and was therefore very supportive her young co-star at least...
Michelle seems to skirt round certain subjects, for instance, there's bit about Marilyn's relationship with Pat Newcomb where she hints that there may have been a more than "platonic" friendsip between the two, gossip which came from within Marilyn's inner circle. That's as far as she goes and I really wish she'd been more bold and elidable. It would make the book more thorough and more definitive as a biogrpahy on Marilyn Monroe...
At other times it's very emotonal, when she describes Marilyn leaving Arthur Miller's house for the last time after collecting her things and when she receives a visit from her father in hospital, but the latter is very sparse on information. I cried when reading about the funeral, and Joe's emotional state over her coffin, his love for Marilyn really shines through in Michelle's words.
On the whole though, the biography is a good read and very entertaining. It was great to read again about DiMaggio, Marilyn's trip to England and the highs and lows in her life and the reminisces of people who knew her and perhaps, hadn't spoken on record before. The first part of the book is meticulously researched but the second half of the book is a little patchy and I felt it didn't live up to my expectations.
It's stunning to look at, beautifully presented and designed, with many pictures that most people won't have had access to before.
I still think Marilyn's life deserves a mamoth book project, like the Peter Guralnick 2-volume set on Elvis Presley...
But I Know that would be a big project for any writer to take on.
Tara
QUOTE(LuvBabyJane @ Aug 18 2007, 09:49 PM) *
Soooo excited!...I did'nt think this book would become available in the UK untill the 13 September?!!?

However, according to Amazon and Waterstones online store it is available NOW?!?

I so Hope this is correct, I will be phoning my local book store firtst thing in the morning! jumpymm.gif

Yes, it has now been released early in the UK following the Sunday Times article. I've ordered my copy and hopefully it will arrive soon... tbird.gif
LuvBabyJane
Yippeee!! It was out here in the UK on the 16th August....I've ordered mine from my local book store and it should be arriving any day this week!!! Can't wait! jumpymm.gif clapping.gif banana.gif
LuvBabyJane
Hi all!...well, I got my book today! It is a big beautiful and a well presented book with lots lovely pictures inside. I can't fairly give a full reveiw on the written content as I have only read the first few chapters, but so far though I would say it is an easy read that flows really well from one subject to another.

As for the some of the photos I have to say that some of the interesting photos are a bit small and it would of been nice for them to of been bigger, but the majority are big and lovely!...enjoying the read!
Nancy
Thanks for your review, Lolly! I'm looking forward to purchasing the book. I have to get my butt down to the bookstore and order a copy.
~TheGirl~
I cant wait to buy the book. But i thinki should wait, i'm trying to get through two others just now and i want to get the new Marilyn one when i can give it my full attention.
Tara
My copy arrived this morning. Haven't started reading it yet, but I must say that visually, it's one of the best-presented MM books I've ever seen. smile1.gif
Tara
QUOTE(LuvBabyJane @ Aug 23 2007, 11:43 PM) *

Reading back it seems like I am being negative....I don't mean to be because I am enjoying reading the book very much and I really would recommend it to any fan!...sorry if I have come across negative, just saying what I think! unsure.gif

Hi Lolly, I noticed your review when I looked on Amazon today. Have you finished reading it then?
LuvBabyJane
QUOTE(Tara @ Aug 24 2007, 02:53 PM) *
Hi Lolly, I noticed your review when I looked on Amazon today. Have you finished reading it then?

Still reading and enjoying it very much thank you Tara!....

I also said on my Amazon reveiw that I had only read a few chapters so I was just up front and honest about my first impressions.

I think you also wrote a reveiw there?....We all read books and situations diffrently I guess, I do understand and respect your veiws on the orphanage subject, maybe I misunderstood what I read or took it the wrong way?....overall though I am really enjoying the book and it is so lovely to read and look at! throb.gif

To be honest I feel awful really, I did'nt mean to offend anyone by my reveiw! cry.gif sorry!

P.S. As an apology I have just 'DELETED' my Amazon reveiw and will rewrite it when I can make a fair and full reveiw when I have finished the book!
Tara
Hi Lolly,

No I didn't write a review, though I do intend to when I've read it. I've only just started looking through it, after getting my copy today - and was curious about what other people thought so I checked the Amazon page.

Glad you're enjoying it though, so am I! Please don't worry, I wasn't meaning to be critical of you. I'm glad you're posting your thoughts here too. Hopefully we'll have loads to discuss as the book progresses!

All the best, Tara biggrin.gif
meganmarilyn
Marilyn and Pat Newcomb. Sigh. I can't wait to hear what the so called Marilyn insiders will say next about Marilyn and her so called 'platonic' relationship with her pet dog Maf. That it was a 'little strange and little too lovey dovey". Why does everyone (always it seems) take Marilyn's need for being loved as something sexual? Marilyn had a big heart. She was kind and loving to everyone. Is that too hard to decipher? Why is it when children show love towards everyone, it is ah, how sweet. But when an adult like Marilyn, who obviously still was a child inside, it is seen as always sexual? Some people need to have the childhood she had to really understand her pain. Sheez Louise.
MarilynLivesSociety
QUOTE(meganmarilyn @ Aug 24 2007, 07:09 PM) *
Marilyn and Pat Newcomb. Sigh. I can't wait to hear what the so called Marilyn insiders will say next about Marilyn and her so called 'platonic' relationship with her pet dog Maf. That it was a 'little strange and little too lovey dovey". Why does everyone (always it seems) take Marilyn's need for being loved as something sexual? Marilyn had a big heart. She was kind and loving to everyone. Is that too hard to decipher? Why is it when children show love towards everyone, it is ah, how sweet. But when an adult like Marilyn, who obviously still was a child inside, it is seen as always sexual? Some people need to have the childhood she had to really understand her pain. Sheez Louise.

Hi Megan

My name is Michelle Morgan and I am the author of Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed. I agree with you completely that the 'insiders' should never have gossiped about Marilyn and Pat. I found it completely shocking and disgraceful. I know who it was who gossiped - I was told the names of two people - but for legal reasons I decided not to print who it was who was the source of the gossip. But I was very, very angry that they had said it, as they were meant to be Marilyn's friends.

Pat wasn't the only person that has been rumoured to have been Marilyn's lover over the years - Natasha Lytess was another and (even more awful) I read in another biography that Ana Lower was rumoured to be too. What a load of rubbish - truly hideous and utterly untrue. No wonder she very rarely trusted anyone!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kind regards

Michelle.
meganmarilyn
Michelle, you are the reason Marilyn shines brightly above. Fans who know the truth about her and keep her memory alive. Sad people jump to conclusions without knowing WHY Marilyn was that way. Oh well.

QUOTE(MarilynLivesSociety @ Aug 24 2007, 11:30 AM) *
Hi Megan

My name is Michelle Morgan and I am the author of Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed. I agree with you completely that the 'insiders' should never have gossiped about Marilyn and Pat. I found it completely shocking and disgraceful. I know who it was who gossiped - I was told the names of two people - but for legal reasons I decided not to print who it was who was the source of the gossip. But I was very, very angry that they had said it, as they were meant to be Marilyn's friends.

Pat wasn't the only person that has been rumoured to have been Marilyn's lover over the years - Natasha Lytess was another and (even more awful) I read in another biography that Ana Lower was rumoured to be too. What a load of rubbish - truly hideous and utterly untrue. No wonder she very rarely trusted anyone!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kind regards

Michelle.

Paju
I just ordered this book AND Gilmore's book AND Dougherty's book! biggrin.gif
Tara
You're in for a treat Paju, they're all great reads!
Paju
I'm so excited smile1.gif I got to take a peek at all of those books and they really do seem like a treat biggrin.gif
LuvBabyJane
Ok , so I have finished the book, and here is what I said in my reveiw on Amazon..... clapping.gif
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where to start?....Wow! Seems like a good place.
I have been a Marilyn fan for many years now, some 30 plus years in fact!

As you can imagine, there is not much that I have not read about the wonderful Marilyn but by all the books I own about her, as far as biographies are concerned, this one is the best I have ever had the pleasure of reading!

This book is a celebration of Marilyns life and puts you in touch not just with Marilyn the Icon, but Marilyn the human being, the real person behind the façade we so often read about in other farcical 'so called biographies!'

No, this book IS diffrent, fresh, and just purely a pleasure to read. It is full of beautiful pictures throughout and the book is so well presented, it is very impressive to look at!

I for one will enjoy reading this book many more times and I feel assured that any true Marilyn fan will feel the same....I 100% guarantee you that you will not be disappointed!!

I would like to say a huge 'Thank you' to the author Michelle Morgan, it must of taken so much hard work and dedication to complte this book...after all these years I never would have thought that I could feel any closer to knowing Marilyn, but this book has done just that!

Remembering Marilyn always......Lolly x

P.S. Marilyn's young love interest Bill Pursel is so dreamy!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope lots of you buy the book, it is so worth the money!!! clapping.gif banana.gif clapping.gif

~TheGirl~
Sounda great! Thank you so much for sharing your review! I want the book so much now smile1.gif
marilyn
I'm also thinking of buying this book. But now there are two versions. One expensive and one cheaper. What's the difference between the two?
Tara
Here is my review, just posted on Amazon.

A new perspective on Marilyn

Marilyn Monroe was one of the most famous actresses of all time, her life shrouded in rumour and mystery. I did not expect to learn anything new about her now, and so this book is a pleasant surprise.

The book is a visual treat, printed on glossy paper and with rare photographs on nearly every page. With most of the major players in the Monroe saga now gone, it must have been a difficult task to find new material. But Michelle Morgan has managed just that, uncovering friends and areas of Marilyn's life that I'd never heard of before.

Marilyn was at her most relaxed away from the power games of Hollywood. This book reflects a more private side to the star, and eschews sensationalism. Morgan does not try to push her views on the reader, but uncovers hidden aspects which shed fresh light on what drove shy, unassuming Norma Jeane Baker to find fame.

The result is that Marilyn comes across as an authentic, complex yet endearing personality. Morgan does not shy from the darker side of Marilyn's nature, the secret fears which propelled her into addiction and despair. Nonetheless her childlike innocence is always apparent and her story is a moving one.

This is an important book, for old fans and new. It has the ring of truth and is a compelling read, quietly yet convincingly dispelling well-worn myths to create a vivid portrait of a woman whose reputation has endured.
~TheGirl~
O thank you Tara! Again this book sounds fantastic! I cant wait to get a hold of it wink3.gif
MarilynLivesSociety
Hello

To the lady who asked about the price of the book and the different versions - there is the English version and the American version, but apart from the cover (and the colour of the book mark) there is no other difference. I hope this helps.

Love
Michelle.
Author - Marilyn Monroe Private and Undisclosed.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.